• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk PRS DIY barricades (pics encouraged)

Made a couple tank traps out of 2x4's. They fold up and fit in my truck for transport. I am using carriage bolts to hold them together.
20220122_160124.jpg
20220118_190014.jpg

View attachment 8003892View attachment 8003891

My buddies built these for me

Use the gate the most then the tank trap wish it wouldn’t have been a surprise I use the roof rarely only see a roof stage at maybe 1 in 3 matches

Edit. Don’t know why text is bold
The gate is too short, and needs to be mounted on a hinge so that it both swings and bounces. Then force yourself to only shoot from a loop created with the chain. NO TRIPODS. THAT is a PRS stage...

• Haha
Reactions: BurtG
View attachment 8003892View attachment 8003891
Use the gate the most then the tank trap wish it wouldn’t have been a surprise I use the roof rarely only see a roof stage at maybe 1 in 3 matches
If you shot NRL22....you would get plenty of use out of the rooftop. The one thing about the rooftop is there is nothing nicer to train off of when they place the thing ramp towards targets or perpendicular. Cuz you just don't know how much room you'll have or if your bipod cants enough. Or its just smarter to run no bipod and a bag given your rifle's setup.

Your buddies did you a solid and shingled it to. Worse thing about the rooftop is some places have roofs so slick is a safety concern. We had a kid who (with immediate adult supervision) ended loosing grip and slide face down the length of the roof. Beat his knees on the cross slats to boot. The adult immediately grabbed the rifle to keep it from falling forward or worse back with the kid. Looked funny as hell at the moment but it was a serious issue.

Reactions: Sblzrd65 and BurtG
The gate is too short, and needs to be mounted on a hinge so that it both swings and bounces. Then force yourself to only shoot from a loop created with the chain. NO TRIPODS. THAT is a PRS stage...
No dial, hold overs only.

Picked up a DFAT system and built this to run dry fire exercises in the garage. So far the barricade and DFAT are working well. I also use a step ladder and a bucket to practice with.
I've even been able to take my barricades out where I have steel targets set up to 1k. Been cold so the garage is a nice training option.
20221207_221418.jpg

20221207_221328.jpg

20221203_160232.jpg

20221208_134153.jpg

Looks like 4x4 on sides and bottom. Are they really 4"x6". Anything you'd do different with the design? How tall are the side supports?
They’re a true 4x6, not dimensional lumber or 4x4. They are cross arms used for electric poles. Support sides are 6’ to allow for multiple inclines.

Resurrecting this thread since I used it to get me started in building a barricade for our range.
Started with the build from this guy, then added a second panel with hinges in the back so that it folds in on itself and fits in the back of my truck.

IMG_2569.jpg

What does everyone think the minimum size for a rooftop should be

What does everyone think the minimum size for a rooftop should be
Just use 4x8 sheet of plywood. Build a frame for the sheet. Box it in. Add a couple thin traction slats or use some actual shingles.
Screenshot_20240204_014552_Facebook.jpg

I would make it flexible in terms of angle/pitch. We built one that used thick steel pins to act like hinges. It also made it collapsible to load up in back of truck.
Screenshot_20240204_014639_Facebook.jpg

You can also place cinder blocks under the bottom of the roof the make the angle less severe and still rock stable.

We made the roof mount onto a skills wall basically. So you get multiple uses out of one object.
Screenshot_20240204_014948_Facebook.jpg

Having watched a young teen kid skid face down a rooftop made it abundantly clear you need to be adaptable and lean towards safety in terms of supplying traction.

Last edited:
Reactions: BurtG
What is the width and length of the top of the rooftop? I'm planning one that I want to transport in my SUV and the max size I can fit is 4'x6'. Wondering if that's big enough
The one I built is 4’x8’ but I think you’d be fine with a 4’x6’ or you could make the roof part out of tube that could slip together and hold with pins…kinda like your trailer hitch.

Reactions: ferch
Anyone else have some shooting prop ideas? Club we shoot at we are using a range where we can not leave props out. So we need ideas that are easy to move and store if at all possible?

While these are not a collapsible, here are the ones we built for our classes.

The one with the ladder/cattle gate sim is the one I keep at our home range for practice. We modeled after the barricade in post #69 in this thread.

7RV00815.jpeg

Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 6.23.21 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 6.22.35 PM.png

Last edited:
Anyone else have some shooting prop ideas? Club we shoot at we are using a range where we can not leave props out. So we need ideas that are easy to move and store if at all possible?
The intent of this thread is creative barricades. Which is antithetical to your question sorta....

If you want portable/cheap/easy props....get everything on the NRL22 barricade list.
images.png

All of them (even if you build your own rooftop or tank trap or triangle ladder) are all easy to assemble and move.
my-practice-nrl-pyramid-same-height-but-narrower-for-easier-v0-xjk3a9u0uogb1.jpg

F7F649B9-DFEB-4A6E-A6B3-AA584E8312F1-1024x1024.jpg

It's actually kinda one of the complaints with those obstacles. They can be kinda rickety feeling in some cases.

IMG_0663-scaled-e1663856279388.jpg

images.jpeg

The really cool creative obstacles/barricades are big, stable, practical to lifelike shooting scenarios. Or offer a unique challenge over the vanilla NRL22 ones. But you can do a lot with them. Use them....combine them....think outside the box with them.

You guys are making some cool stuff. I just built a basic barricade from plans another hide member posted. Can’t thank this group enough. Now I just gotta get rid of that wobble zone…

Attachments

• IMG_3581.jpeg
    IMG_3581.jpeg
    684.8 KB · Views: 41
While these are not a collapsible, here are the ones we built for our classes.

The one with the ladder/cattle gate sim is the one I keep at our home range for practice. We modeled after the barricade in post #69 in this thread.

View attachment 8357388
Unstable, non-welded, not concrete baracade. I approve.

Only sooks complain about not being able to get solid and demand the stage change or "disqualify" the prop because they dont like it.

Reactions: Emerson0311
Unstable, non-welded, not concrete baracade. I approve.

Only sooks complain about not being able to get solid and demand the stage change or "disqualify" the prop because they dont like it.

LOL. These are welded and steel. So, pretty stable.

But, IMO, you don't teach or train on completely unstable shit unless specifically learning something. For the chains, I use that to teach people how to attack significantly unstable positions. As you don't attempt to balance the rifle like you do on most surfaces/obstacles. Completely different way of supporting the rifle.

Reactions: iceng
@DFOOSKING what does the back side look like? Trying to see how the middle leg is attached
View attachment 8357553
I didn't make this. I just pulled images from Google.

This likely just uses this toggle to hold it in place as its slipped in through the back. That small board in the back is placed/screwed in to maintain the angle of the dangle.
Screenshot_20240224_224713_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: jetjock07
The club has all the NRL 22 stuff plus some other good props. We have roof top and wiggly bridge which are hardest to move and used the least. I just like seeing what others are doing and found some good ideas here.

I also would like to build myself something for dryfire practice at home. Nothing wrong with practicing off a ladder but ready to change it up in the basement a bit

Just picked up some 4x4x.25 steel tube to start fabbing a barricade. What I can't decide is the base. I want this to be very solid and stable while also being outside on the ground. Ideally I don't want a piece of 4x4 where the shooter may kneel. Thinking of doing 2 steets of 24x36x1/8" on each end with 1ft on shooter side and 2 ft on target side and welding to bottoms. Could even drill holes and drive stakes through. Any other ideas? It's going to weigh about 400lbs all said and done.

I'd use the same 4x4 tube to run underneath as a removable base that unbolts. Extend said base 18" beyond each side of the barricade, then have 36" feet on each side. If you're worried about it rocking, drill holes in each of the feet, then stake 2 corners in opposition.
Almost like this, just with a full base & extended:
1710701173864.jpeg

The 1/8" plate will probably be more prone to rocking on uneven surfaces since you'll get high contact points closer to the COG. I'd also expect it to bend if the barricade was ever bumped

How much clearance do you think is needed for the lower positions? 18" seems like enough to me, but I'll try and pay attention next weekend

Are you planning on putting hoist points on it

How much clearance do you think is needed for the lower positions? 18" seems like enough to me, but I'll try and pay attention next weekend

Are you planning on putting hoist points on it
No I wasn't, we should be able to 2 man it into place. Thats actually not a bad idea though! I might weld a shackle to the top so we can move with an excavator if needed.

Reactions: R_A_W
Quick diagram of what I was trying to describe above… the blue squares are the 36” legs, with 18” offset from the side of the barricade

Attachments

• IMG_5176.jpeg
    IMG_5176.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 43
Gave the idea to my brother and he made it happen. We wanted something light that can be moved around easy but something that wouldn’t rust away or rot in salty coastal air. This is made from aluminum square tubing compliments of coastline trailers. It can be lifted by one person and put into the bed of pick up truck.

Attachments

• IMG_2661.jpeg
    IMG_2661.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2662.jpeg
    IMG_2662.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Gave the idea to my brother and he made it happen. We wanted something light that can be moved around easy but something that wouldn’t rust away or rot in salty coastal air. This is made from aluminum square tubing compliments of coastline trailers. It can be lifted by one person and put into the bed of pick up truck.
That looks great. I would get some 4 inch flat bar and cut 4x4 so you can cap the ends. Keep the animals and bugs from making the inside of your barricade a new home.