• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk PRS Loadout

Reloader77724

Private
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2018
Jasper, Al
I know this may have already been asked but nothing really showed up in the search. Would you share what your competition loadout is? I’m just gett Started and I wanted to get a better idea of what may be helpful to me. I’m leaning on practical and light. Feel free to share pictures if yiu have them. Thanks.

My experience is only with one day club matches, but the equipment needed has been consistent across the board. It's a lot less stuff than you would think:

Rifle with bipod & dope card holder;
Dope card and dry erase pen;
Chamber flag (required at all matches, but they all have had a couple available if a shooter didn't have one);
Ammo - round count for the matches has been 80-100 rounds, I usually pack 120 just to be safe;
Two magazines, although I have yet to shoot a match where the second magazine was required. Although if your magazine fails it is good to have a spare;
An empty bag or pouch for fired brass;
Kestrel;
Shooting bag(s);
Pen and pad to write down notes, dope, etc.;
10x binoculars (nothing fancy- just something I can use to check out the targets & location. It suprises me how few people bring something like this and beg for a quick look through the spotter's spotting scope);
A granola bar or energy bar since most matches will have you shooting until 1:00-2:00, and I start getting a bit hungry around noon;
A bottle of water, but every match has had water available;
A hat to keep the sun off my noggin;
Suitable outerwear - gloves, rain jacket, coat, etc.

I think that's it. One thing that surprised me when I started was that I thought for sure I'd need a soft rifle bag of some sort to transport my rifle in during the match as I only had a large, heavy Pelican case, and would have bought one but I couldn't decide which one I wanted to get and held off so I can check out what other people had at my first match. That's when I discovered that everyone uncases their rifles at their vehicles and just carries the rifle (with no case) during the match until they return back to their vehicle. I say that to let you know that whatever you have to transport your rifle in in your vehicle is all you need - don't by a special case for matches.

Hope this helps,
Ted

Here is my checklist for a warm weather match:

In gun case (and/or attached to rifle):
Rifle
Suppressor
Sling
Chamber flag
Bipod

In pack:
Magazines
Ammo
Suppressor paperwork
Mechanix gloves
Snack
Dope card(s)
Rain jacket
Eye protection
Ear plugs
Empty trash bag
Pint sized gamechanger
Extra batteries (small amount)
Blue towels (folded)
Q tips / lube (small amount in baggie)
Bino's
Bug spray
Sunscreen
Kestrel
Water bottle
Notepad & pen

Attached to outside of pack:
Ear muffs
Tripod
Brass bag
SAP bag
Wiebad bag

Kept in truck:
Dewey rod
Shooting mat
Tools

I will say this - if you're just getting started, don't get too wrapped up in gear. The stuff you truly need to be able to shoot a match is nowhere near as much as some people think. Most of the gear I haul at matches is there for odd, just-in-case situations. That said, My list is broken down by must haves and stuff I haul just in case...

Must have:
Rifle with bipod and optic
Sling (for support, but mostly easier to haul a rifle around safely with one)
One good multipurpose bag - I use a PintSize GameChanger.
Ammo, and a way to carry it (AG 40/40)
Data for your rifle and ammo - anything from old school charts to a Kestrel.
A small pack to carry everything in
Water
A way to track data during a stage (I use an Armageddon Gear arm board)
Maybe a dedicated rear bag
Reliable magazines - minimum 2
Chamber flag
Ear pro

That's pretty much it for the must-have list.

Stuff I haul anyway:
Bipod leg extensions (3', 6", 18")
Tripod with binos
Extra bipod feet
FixItSticks tool kit
RifleKuhl
Water bladder
IFAK
paper dope charts
Unknown distance ranging chart
Python rear bag, Fat Bag support bag
Mags (4x AW)
Brass collection bag
Extra markers
'puffer' bottle for looking at wind direction that I rarely use
Ear pro case
Glass cleaning kit
Bag sling
Gloves
Knee pads

Obviously depending on conditions some other stuff might get added to the backpack from the storage bin

Pelican case w/ Rifle:
Rifle
scope+mount
bolt
bipod
suppressor
x1 AW mag
thread protector

Backpack:
Ammo (100-150 rounds)
Range finder
mag pouch
x1 AW mag
electronic hearing protection
breakdown cleaning rod with jag, brush, patches, gun grease, Hoppes 9, Qtips
Dope book, rite in rain pen, sharpie
Dope card for rifle and blue painters tape
Kestrel 5700 Elite
x2 Chamber flags
small keychain ruler
Cliff/Power Bars
Water bottle
Armageddon Pint Size Gamechanger
Armageddon Fat Bag
TAB Shooting Mat
x2 Shop rags for cleaning anything
Lunch able size tub-aware with lens cloth, Hawk Hill Talons, Small Blue Loctite, any odd Allen Keys, Backup batteries
Suppressor tools
Sling
Fix-It Sticks Full Kit
rubber bands
Leatherman multi tool

Large Storage Bin in truck
Targets
Staple Gun
Cardboard
White spray paint
GU Energy
Armageddon Full Size Gamechanger
Magnetospeed V3
Cole Tac small rear bag
Towels
Rain gear
Change of clothes

Ammo can in truck:
100-150 rounds

Need to add to kit:
Tripod
Binos

Reactions: Reloader77724
Pack: Arc'teryx LEAF Khard 45 w/ LBX Inserts
Inserts: 2 medium pouches and 1 Large.

In the pack:
Ammo
Game changer
Rear bag
Puff pillow
Kestrel
Wrist coach
Pens and paper
Bipod feet
Sling
Nalgene 32oz water bottle
Snacks
3L CamelBak in side pocket (hot days)
Arc'teryx LEAF Atom LT jacket (cold weather)
Arc'teryx LEAF Alpha LT (wet weather)

Rifle w/scope
Bipod.

Rifle + Bipod carried separately, then a 5.11 Rush 12 Backpack which contains the following:

Key Items:
Waxed Canvas Game Changer
Magazines x 2
Chamber flag
Earpro (plugs + HL muffs)
Printed paper copy backup dope
Magpul Daka pouches for ammo + fired brass
Kydex mag holder
Binos
Kestrel
Rangefinder
Wrist coach w/ grease pencil
Bag of allen wrenches, one for each size screw
Couple of granola bars

Other stuff that lives in the bag but is not crucial:
Mechanix gloves
Scope caps
Sunglasses
Sunscreen
Lens cloth
Clear eyepro
Data book, pens, sharpie
Sticky labels for quick dope
Cleaning rag
Bipod extensions/spike feet
MPA barricade block
Eyedrops for contacts
Chamber brush (stuck case removal tool)
Hot hands hand warmers
Extra chamber flag
Tactical table

My setup for a mtach over the weekend.

Backpack (5.11 Rush 24) :

-Tikka CTR 6.5cm 20", APA Little B brake, Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18x44, Badger Max-50 rings, 2 magazines
-Harris 6-9" Swivel with Hawk Hill feet and KWM PodLoc
-SAP 2 round holder
-Triad Tac Stock pack for comb height
-Armageddon Gear Fat Bag, medium
-Wiebad Mini Fortune Cookie
-Low Vis Gear Rear bag and Dim Sim
-SORD Laser range finer pouch, with Sig 2200MR and Kestrel 5500
-MSA Supreme Pro X with Gel cups
-SAP sling
-Fat torque wrench with bit kit
-Notebood, pen and markers
-Oil and rags
-Gloves
-2 Low vis gear zip sacks for ammo and brass
-Ammo for the match (200 in this case)
-Armageddon Data Armband
-Bushnell LMSS H32 spotting scope
-Generic Carbon tripod
-Assortment of clips to hang bags off my backpack

Not picture: Snacks, water, phone with Applied Ballistics and spare batteries. Also had a cleaning rod and Labradar in the car.

Thanks for the advice. From the looks of the multiple list there is a lot items that are needed. Right now I just use my old standard redhead camo backpack. Nothing fancy but it works. I would like to upgrade to a better pack one day.
As far as additional items goes I don't have much. I use a cheap 42" AR tactical rifle bag. That's about it. I really don't want to get sucked into the mindset of "needing" to buy a ton of gear but just the necessities. Here is a very simple list of what I have to get started in PRS matches. Don't laugh, lol.

CARRY:
Rifle/sling with Bipod
Chamber Flag

ON PACK:
Ultra Lite AG Shooters mat
Two mags

IN PACK:
Obviously ammo
Notepad with pens
iPhone for calculation and my ballistics AE app
Water bottles
Snacks
Frogg togg jack/pants if needed
AG python rear bag
Ear Pro

IN TRUCK:
Tools
Cleaning Rod and kit

These items may have been in one of the preceding lists, but I didn't see:
  • Sunscreen
  • Bug repellant
I grew up in the south in the 1950s and '60s. We stayed outdoors from morning until dark and we didn't do no stinkin' sunscreen. So here I am in my 60s with five skin cancers already removed and it's very likely there will be plenty more. The melanomas... those get taken out with a meat cleaver and I swear they used a jackhammer on my nose. I don't have much problem with needles and stitches and such but friends&neighbors that one HURT.

Most people at PRS matches carry their gear in backpacks and rifle in hand. Not me, not anymore - my back is a wreck. So, I also use:
  • Gun cart (I use a discarded jogging stroller outfitted with the bits to carry rifle, etc.)
  • Folding chair
  • In summer, at matches without canopies or shade trees, a medium-size beach umbrella that clamps to the buggy

I'm a victim of always over packing my pack with stuff I dont need. Coming off a match today, I utilized the following equipment:
- rifle, scope, bipod
- chamber flag
- two 10 round mags
- ear pro
- Ammo
- bag for brass
- sling
- rear bag
- weibad mini fortune cookie
- smaller sized positional bag (sarges shooting)
- kestrel
- LRF (to confirm targets since there was a lot of extra steel in the field)
- DOPE card
- notebook & pen
- minimal tools
- extra batteries
- sunscreen
- powerade
- granola bars

Things that are nice to have, but usually can stay in the vehicle:
- torque wrench & more tools
- gloves
- rain gear
- shooting mat
- tripod (this depends on the comp)
- spotting scope
- 2 extra rear bags (different siclzes)
- field chair
- rifle and scope cleaning equipment

Rifle/bipod-out of bag

In gear bag:
Ammo(in Cole-tac ammo novel)
Rain gear
Cold weather gear(beanie, gloves, etc)- (Seasonal dependent whether or not they’re in the bag or at the car)
Snack
Nalgene bottle
Dope card
Pens
Lens cloth
Game changer
Brass bag(hooked to shoulder strap)
Kestrel(hooked to shoulder strap)
Pump pillow(hooked to side loop on bag)
Rear bag-most of the time I just use the game changer
Phone
Match book
Hand towel

All of this in an Arcteryx DryPack 25. I have room to fit binos/rangefinder and hang a tripod off the bag but haven’t gotten around to those yet. Completely waterproof bag(learned the hard way at the Frontline match in February). I also recommend having gallon sized ziplock bags for the matchbook and writing in the rain.

WNHV9204.JPG

Rifle + associated attached
Low Vis Gear - MK6 Xray with strap rear bag (attached to stock in photo) (www.lowvisgear.com)
Armageddon Gear - Low Vis Gear Spec, Pint Sized Game Changer
Warhorse Development - Comanche
Armageddon Gear - Large Fat Bag

Armageddon Gear - Competition Data Armband
Kestrel 5700
Vortex Fury LRF binos
Mission Critical Designs PRST Tripod with Really Right Stuff SCLR clamp

Low Vis Gear - CTR Belt
Horyzen Tactical kydex magazine pouch
SORD Australia AICS 5rd double magazine pouch
SORD Australia LRF + Kestrel + Dump Pouch

Other stuff not in photo:
Pack
Water
Sunscreen
Sordin earmuffs
Low Vis Gear - G2 Zip Sack for spent cases
Ammo in packets this time, ok but a bit annoying when trying to find a couple of rounds left in a box
Small data book with pens
4 x magazines
Other Atlas bipod with claw feet
Small tool kit
Hat

Reactions: Harveyn
What would you guys recommend for a back pack?

Looking at a mystery ranch 3 day assault

What is everyone using for pants/jacket?

I see a lot of guys with pants with knee pads that would be great and a light-medium jacket that's waterproof

Does anyone carry specific rain gear?

What are you guys using for a belt and mag holster?

The Mystery Ranch 3 Day Assault is very nice and you can't go wrong with that pack.

I leave my rain gear in the truck unless it is forecasted to rain, but I use the Frogg Toggs, as they are expendable if they get too trashed.

I see a lot of guys with pants with knee pads that would be great and a light-medium jacket that's waterproof

I don't carry anywhere near as much crap as many shooters do (and I seem to constantly find ways to carry even less), so I run a small pack - an Eberlestock Bandit. It's got room for everything I need during the day at a 2-day PRS match without being overly bulky or heavy.

Pants - TruSpec 24-7 Xpedition. I have kneepads in my pack if I need them, but rarely wear them.

I don't wear a jacket except for rain gear.

Rain gear - milspec goretex (got it for cheap, and it's lasted a few years now)

Belt - HSGI cobra belt or Magpul El Burro (If I am wearing rain gear, the ElBurro is holding my shorts under the rain pants, and the cobra belt is in the rain gear with my mag pouches. If I don't need the rain pants, it's just the El Burro in my pants with mag pouches)

Pouches - Open-topped Kydex mag carrier and one Armageddon Gear mag carrier. Kydex for the mag I start the stage with or a planned reload (stage dependent), and a loaded 10rd AW stays in the AG pouch all day for 'Oh, shit!" situations - ex didn't load a mag all the way, dropped a mag, some kind of weird mag failure, etc.

I use an ArcTeryx Khard 45 as a pack with the LBX inserts. The only reason use this pack is that it doubles as a redundancy med kit for the match. Each LBX insert is set up for a different type of emergency (penetrating trauma, sprains/breaks and medical emergencies.)

I'd highly recommend the MR 3 Day Assault pack for match shooting. The other option is the Kifaru 22Mag.

I'm one of the guys that's wears pants with knee pads. I'm old enough to not care what others think of me so if they want to label me "tacticool" or "mall ninja" that's fine. At least my knees won't hurt at the end of a match and I'll stay relatively cool.

I only take dedicated rain gear if it looks like rain in the forecast

I use an ArcTeryx Khard 45 as a pack with the LBX inserts. The only reason use this pack is that it doubles as a redundancy med kit for the match. Each LBX insert is set up for a different type of emergency (penetrating trauma, sprains/breaks and medical emergencies.)

I'd highly recommend the MR 3 Day Assault pack for match shooting. The other option is the Kifaru 22Mag.

I'm one of the guys that's wears pants with knee pads. I'm old enough to not care what others think of me so if they want to label me "tacticool" or "mall ninja" that's fine. At least my knees won't hurt at the end of a match and I'll stay relatively cool.

Dat bandana tho...

What pants are you using that has kneepads on them? I've seen people using them but don't know who makes them

What do you use for dedicated rain gear?

@Tony1320 I use the Crye combat pant but there are plenty of pants with knee pads in them now. Sitka makes some, so at least if you hunt you can get dual use out of them. Duluth Trading Co. as well.

ArcTeryx Alpha LT. I learned the hard way at the 2015 Hide Cup to buy once and cry once. That being said, rain gear has come a long way in price and function since then. ArcTeryx is no longer the only game in town.

Reactions: Tony1320
I run a small pack with the things I need on the outside or transferred to me.

I know some of the matches you park the truck and walk a few yards to the range, then just shuttle left or right to the various stations. But I certainly have been to places where getting back to your vehicle is NOT an option.

Seem like cleaning rods are a low priority, yet about 10-15% (maybe higher) of the matches I've been to someone occasionally makes a mistake with the muzzle; but more often suffers a stuck case, a case head separation or leaves the bullet in the chamber after timing out.. Maybe the number seems high to me because I carry the portable rod and I have to lend it out... Personally, I had a flush cup give way and my rifle stuck about 6" barrel first into the soft mud during a field style hike. I might have to start charging as it seems people don't think it can happen to them.

My pack is set up for field or PRS style and kinda like a bug-out bag where I grab and go - but I peel stuff off and leave in the car if the match doesn't call for it

Usually stays in the car:
  1. There is a Spotter in the right pocket - usually the first to stay in the car
  2. Rear bag almost always stays in the car
  3. Radios always stays in the car - (unless used for mil style 1K pits and our clubs long range to signal hot)
Comes off the pack on onto me
  1. Dump bag
  2. Hat
  3. Kydex mag carrier
  4. Mag
Important and I think under carried my most:
  1. C.A.T.
  2. QuickClot
  3. Israel Bandage
  4. Shears
  5. Cleaning Rod
  6. 12 gauge brush and adapter for case head separation extraction
Aways outside the Pack:
  1. Water bottle
  2. Binos
  3. Game Changer
  4. Pump pump type pillow
  5. RRS (may stay off)
  6. Spotter (often stays out)
  7. Rear bag (almost always stays of for a match)
  8. Front of pack -
    1. AB Kestrel
    2. Leica 2800 replaced
Inside small back top pocket
1.Electronic ear pro​
Inside organized pocked
  1. 2 10 round mags
  2. 2 5 round mags
  3. Core- Fixit Stick kit with duct tape, 12g brush, socket etc.
  4. Wrist coach - dope cards
  5. Stage Timer For - Self-RO
  6. ECI + 1 for NRL22
  7. Knife
  8. Light
  9. Pens & Paper
  10. Batteries
  11. Lens cloth
  12. Zero targets
Large main compartment
  1. Armageddon Gear 40/40 Ammo holder as shown = 112 rounds w/ 2 loaded mags (+ 1/2 of a second one sometimes for 120+ rounds if needed)
  2. IFAK - see above
  3. Cleaning kit
  4. Energy bar or two
  5. Extra water container if needed for a field style match
  6. Rain gear; KUIU ultra light and small (Sometimes comes out)
  7. Gloves (usually come out - if rain gear is coming out)
  8. Radios (always come out for matches)
Packback2[1].jpg

Backpack -Front[1].jpg

backpack inside[1].jpg

inside contents[1].jpg

Main compartment[1].jpg

Last edited:
My first match I went to I had almost nothing (and that is actually a good thing!)

Rifle, rear bag, optic, 2x magazines (AW mags only hold 10, 11 if I get lucky), IPhone with AB on it, notecards, and a sharpie. I brought some water and a way to carry my ammo and off to the match I went.

The PRS community is super awesome, and I feel like many know that it is gear intensive. People in my squad loaned me multiple bags, explaining the pros/cons and letting me use it. Did I shoot well because of it? Probably not, but it helped me identify what worked for me, without spending $$$ on multiple bags until I knew what worked.

Shoot a few small matches, RO a big match and watch what people use (trends happen for a reason).

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
You guys rock. I am starting out as well and I definitely want to note that I originally was planning on just using ballistics ae as my ballistics calculator, and recently changed to get a kestrel. (Wait for more info on the Revic!)

Though I didn't think to ask people, I do need to mention that I encountered a ton of issues with cell service on Verizon with ranges that can stretch far out, leading to getting DA/weather data impossible.

Terminator back with rifle scabbard:
rifle
bipod
SLING (some stages may require it)
2 mags (one modified to not lock the bolt open for 12 round stages)
2 mag carriers on belt
2 round cartridge holder
range finder
kestrel
kestrel pouch
dope card/arm band
china marker
suppressor
suppressor cover
some type of head wrap for the heat or dust
eye pro
ear pro
game changer bag
brick rear bag
arm support bag (I don't know the model but I snagged it off the prize table last weekend)
ammo
torque driver
tools to work on my rifle/scope
lens cleaner
lens cleaner solution
gopro (gotta get those sweet run n gun videos!)
batteries for everything
sun screen
bug spray
knee pads (20 years of being super fat did my knees in)
rain jacket

99% of the time someone has a bag or gear that you want to try, they're more than willing to lend it to you.

I'm trying to whittle down what I carry for precision rifle.
For 3 gun, I bring everything and the kitchen sink, but I have a modified tactical baby stroller to push it all around.

For precision rifle I started with a 22L pack and loaded it full of bags, binoculars, allen wrenches, screw drivers, and a bunch of other shit that hasn't been used in 5 matches.

I just bought a Mystery Ranch Front which is a little smaller to force myself to be even more choosy on what I bring, however I also purchased a tripod (instead of using wobblyass shooting sticks) so all of that saved weight and space is being replaced by the tripod.

This Sunday will be the first field type match with the MR Front and I'll just have to see how it goes. I have one small rear bag that will be left out, and I'm trying to decide if I really NEED 12x50 binoculars AND Conx rangefinder. They're nice to have when I need them... hmm, maybe I just need to get rangefinding binoculars...

I have a lot of the same things listed as the others above so I won't list out all of my stuff.

I will say the way I carry my rifle is probably different. I have a biathlon type sling (Minotaur Sling, made locally by a veteran) with QD's. I put my rifle on my back first muzzle up then I put my pack on, so my rifle is against my back and my backpack on top of that. This way the weight is all distributed evenly on both shoulders. Some might think the rifle would dig into my back but maybe it's the way I'm built it's never been a problem. For a couple matches I carried the rifle slung sideways muzzle up across the front on one shoulder and just never liked how that felt, it seemed to wear me down by the end of the day. I am much more comfortable with the rifle in the middle of my back and bag on top. I'll try to get a picture this weekend of it.

Reevaluated what I carry at matches.

Eberlestock X31Lodrag II pack

Front of pack:
Mag pouch w/ mag
Kestrel pouch w/ Kestrel

Lower front pocket:
Ammo in TAB gear SAC
HSGI Pogey Pouch w/ pens, note cards, sidewinder, extra chamber flag and other small stage items.

Lower main pouch:
Wax Canvas Gamechanger
Rear Bag
Grey Ops AMP mini

Upper front pocket:
Rifle Kuhle
Ear Pro
Wallet
Keys
Phone

Upper front pocket:
Food