• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk PRS vs NRL

davere

Double Oh Negative
Minuteman
I gotta guess this has been hashed out here, but because the search terms are so short, the forum search engine isn't yielding a whole lot.

I'm pretty new to precision rifle matches, and am trying to figure out which organization's matches might serve me better - I'd like to register with one, so I can track points/progress, etc (not expecting to make a finale match right away or anything silly). Not trying to stir up a holy war - just wondering if anyone has info to consider on it? I would welcome links to previous threads that I'm unable to locate, too!

You can shoot any match without being a member, so why pay them to keep your score unless you’re at top 20 shooter. If you never intend to qualify go without a card. Keep you own score you can still see what others do, they don’t Hide it. Matches post the scores all over social media.

PRS has more matches, but the NRL does a much better job in my opinion. What the NRL did at their finale in Vegas got super high marks. Very professional.

Ps I know more PRS people so I shoot those

Last edited:
Reactions: davere
So, they ran a tight match for the finale, or there's more to it than that? Just curious.

A lot more, they organize events during off hours of their matches, they had a huge banquet, etc. They promote the individual matches more so than the series taking credit for their effort. What I see is, the NRL promotes the individual matches, they do a lot for the directors socially where the PRS announcements are acting as if the individual matches are a footnote to the Series. The success of the matches, as well as the popularity, are 100% about the match director, and not the series. Just how I see it given the last years' history between the two.

I tend to call it like I see it, much to many of the player's dismay, but my history here goes back farther than most.

They promote the individual matches more so than the series taking credit for their effort. What I see is, the NRL promotes the individual matches, they do a lot for the directors socially where the PRS announcements are acting as if the individual matches are a footnote to the Series.
A winning formula

I have shot both, like the NRL matches better. It may sound dumb but small stuff matters. Cases of water every other stage is awesome, keeps people hydrated and you don't have to lug the water around.

They have food and events outside the matches which adds a real sense of belonging to something. Guys pulling up at your table to see how your day went and slide you a beer, what's not to like?

I shoot the South Dakota Steel Classic every year and it's been my favorite match up to this point. It's starting to become a tradition for a good portion of us Wisconsin guys. I was hoping to shoot the Big Horn Steel Classic in March to get a comparison between SDSC (PRS) and BHSC (NRL) but ran out of vacation days this year.

Reactions: davere
A lot more, they organize events during off hours of their matches, they had a huge banquet, etc. They promote the individual matches more so than the series taking credit for their effort. What I see is, the NRL promotes the individual matches, they do a lot for the directors socially where the PRS announcements are acting as if the individual matches are a footnote to the Series. The success of the matches, as well as the popularity, are 100% about the match director, and not the series. Just how I see it given the last years' history between the two.

I tend to call it like I see it, much to many of the player's dismay, but my history here goes back farther than most.

Just a side note:
Not sure this comment matters but the NRL22 is a super cool fun add on.

I saw one run the night before a regular match. It looked so fun I ran out and bought a couple of rim fires!

The format was well thought out, in that any range could duplicate the obstacles, timing and distances.. it seemed like the emphasis is on the shooter and facility relationship not the league.

I think the difference in most matches are because of the match directors, not the sanctioning body. I will give credit to the NRL for suppporting their MD's much better. Breakneck is an example of a match that used to be an annual match, now it's a PRS match, but it is still Breakneck. They know how to put on a good match. Heard the Okie's put on a hell of a match too, regardless what points you get from them.