• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PSA 6.5CM Complete Upper -- What accuracy should I expect?

TheHorta

Nest-stirring pot-poker.
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 17, 2014
    NO AL
    About 3-4 years ago, after a long-range rifle class where the instructors were vociferously extolling the virtues of 6.5 Creedmoor, I came home and ordered a PSA 6.5CM complete upper -- with 20" Stainless Steel barrel, 15" M-Lok rail, and (from the looks of it) a standard AR-10 PSA BCG. Once it arrived, it sat in my gear pile until today.

I just picked up a PSA-10 G3 lower from a local private Armslist seller, built with a Geissele SSA-E trigger, but otherwise standard. I have a couple of spare PRS stocks still NIB in the same gear pile, along with a Lantac .308 BCG, a couple of JP G2 Silent Capture Springs, Raptor AR-10 charging handles, and other stuff to build this all out.

I cringe at the thought of mating my brand new $4K S&B PMII 3-27x56 "High Power" scope that I just got from the Exchange last week. Not exactly a matched companion worthy of her pedigree, but I suppose she needs to kiss a few frogs before she mounts her prince.

It'll be suppressed with a TB Ultra 9 CB.

I ordered some Hornady ELD 143gr ammo today and should have it for the weekend.

With the above config and ammo, is it too much to hope for sub-MOA? Or is MOA as much as I should reasonably expect?

ETA: There's some slop between upper and lower. Would an Accu-Wedge help?

Donkey Shurn! (That's German for "Thanks Y'all!")

Reactions: bfoosh006
    I would tighten up the loose fit between the upper and lower. Years ago "X-Shims" were the best thing since sliced bread for this objective.

That said... https://www.ar15.com/forums/industr...-again-UPDATED-with-Tn-G-results-/301-285762/

That thread will look choppy ( Lol, I am not a writer ) ... the before and after pics, were OEM, v. Lapping the upper receiver, and Loctiting in the barrels receiver extension into the upper.

So .... if you can ignore the pics, and read the thread first, ( and then review the pics )... describing the alterations I did, the thread will make more sense.

And because I still think my results were as close to a miracle that I may ever see , considering the price paid... YMMV

I will say Lapping and Loctiteing barrels in place work for me, add in those X-Shims, an Adj GB, heavy buffer and recoil spring, and Lantac brake... Geissele Trigger.

For what it is worth, my Criterion 22" barreled PSA setup ( I added the barrel to OEM PSA upper ) has done also amazing.

One of its best groups.. I flubbed the flier. AND, this was after a freshly cleaned barrel. (Kroil, JB Bore Polish, VFG feltpellets)
    Honestly , first group of the morning , Senior and newbie RO's witnessed it.

AGAIN.... YMMV .... dependent upon your shooting skills, all the planets being in alignment, and the will in your stoney KoolAid pumpin' heart...
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (2).jpg

Same treatment on a .308 FN CHF, CL barreled PSA upper.... same 10rds, 100yards
    IMG_3106_JPG-860403.jpg

Reactions: TheHorta
    Kind of a similar situation. I got my PSA 6.5 CM upper and lower Gen 2 in 2017. Took it to the range once for function test for less than 10 rounds, then it sat in the safe all these years until I got curious last week on what it can do, so I mounted a scope and took her to the range last weekend. Surprised that it was doing single holes at 100 yards, took it to the longer range bays and it rang steel at 1000. Maybe this has potential to play the PRS game.

Kind of a similar situation. I got my PSA 6.5 CM upper and lower Gen 2 in 2017. Took it to the range once for function test for less than 10 rounds, then it sat in the safe all these years until I got curious last week on what it can do, so I mounted a scope and took her to the range last weekend. Surprised that it was doing single holes at 100 yards, took it to the longer range bays and it rang steel at 1000. Maybe this has potential to play the PRS game.

I don’t have any CM ammo, but I do have 500 rounds of Hornady 140gr ELD coming (scheduled for delivery tomorrow, woohoo!). I’m going to mount my new $5000 SB scope, slap a .30 cal suppressor on the front, and go to town and see what she can do.

Should be fun. I might turn it into my night hunter.

"is it too much to hope for sub-MOA? Or is MOA as much as I should reasonably expect?"

I've gotten many sub-moa groups from my PSA 6.5 Creedmoor with stock barrel and 2-stage trigger. I've been shooting Hornady 147 gr. ELD-M's mainly with H4350.
    Am starting to experiment now with 130 gr. ELD-M's and Winchester StaBall 6.5

Reactions: TheHorta
    I shot this group off of a bipod and rear squeeze bag. Rifle is a stock Falkor Defense Omega and the scope is a 4-16 Nightforce ATACR. Probably would have been a little better with a higher powered scope.
    IMG_0176 (1).jpeg

66F6EDAC-B7A7-4E7C-88FD-ACDEBDEC0406_1_101_o.jpeg