• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PTG actions

I have used PT&G several times, without issue. My gunsmith has a long working relationship with them.
There are other actions available. Weatherby has the new 307 action that is a 700 clone, with a side bolt release for about 750 bucks.
Mack bros make a very nice action.
Stiller's are pretty good.
There are a plethora of actions avaliable right now.
If your smith has a relationship with PT&G, there is no reason not to go with them.

Reactions: 45-90
My buddy (who's a Smith ) also thought ptg was still the best.... it took me a year and lots of conversations to convince him it was not the same pgt of 20 years ago. Absolutely avoid pgt. My buddy had a good relationship with them too, until he didn't because they screwed a bunch of stuff up and took forever to do it. With custom actions available so close to that price point, and with pre-fits available for them to boot, you'd be insane to buy a pgt. There are 2 types of people. Those who've been screwed by ptg, and those who are about to be.

Take advantage of sales and get a good action. The origin is one of my faves even with many other more expensive actions I have now.

Reactions: hafejd30
I have been doing business with PT&G for 30 yrs, one of my first orders was the wrong tool and clearly marked Savage, I wanted Remington...talked to Dave, returned the wrong tool, and along with the correct replacement tool ... he sent me a set of Remington 700 action accuracy video tapes free for my trouble.
Never paid a restocking fee, never canceled an order, or returned another PT&G product...since then, they have all been correct. I order what I need it arrives, some surprisingly fast like 6 days from order, for a 30 RAR reamer to 30 days for a 510 Whisper, and abot 10 days for the 8.6 Blackout reamer all ordered in the last few months. So basically I've had quality parts, made, with little communication after the order, kind of a negative, but it shows up in a timely manner. I have never experienced a restocking fee for their mistakes but there was only one along time ago, and nothing like others are saying, I too would not be happy with that..
But many cancel orders, or want to change specs after the initial order, and time may be put into making a reamer for example they can not sell, easily. A restocking fee is a lot more common these days, when you check the fine print. I have to put 50% down and a fee for canceling a special barrel twist, like the 10 twist .510, and the 6.5 twist 338, when ordering a barrel blank, so it's expensive to change your mind, make sure before you complete the order.
Good for you. We've all told all the pgt stories already and aren't going to junk up this thread with them. If pgt works for you then great, but stop calling the many rest of us liars. You have no idea who or what you are talking about so you do you and stop being a know it all punk.

Good for you. We've all told all the pgt stories already and aren't going to junk up this thread with them. If pgt works for you then great, but stop calling the many rest of us liars. You have no idea who or what you are talking about so you do you and stop being a know it all punk.
It's Easy to spot those immature imposters who transfer their faults and force opinions on to others.
So with or without your consent I will continue to do what works for me...my results, and experiences, trumps your opinion.

It's Easy to spot those immature imposters who transfer their faults and force opinions on to others.
So with or without your consent I will continue to do what works for me...my results, and experiences, trumps your opinion.
"We are playing experiences trump opinions" says the guy who has discounted everyone else's experiences and posted his opinion 20 times, and now is resorting to slinging mud and puffing his chest. If you want extra credence lent to your opinion for your "results" you're going to have to give us more, like a shop name. Otherwise you are just another internet gun plumber.

I had orders from PTG where nothing went wrong. I took a long trip on a bald tire once and it didn't blow out too.

I will say it in every post, 750 for a Remington 700 action. No. By the time a guy buys a quality scope base for it, it costs the same as some custom actions, and more than others like Mac bros.

Remember you can ship your action anywhere in the United States. I have had good luck with LRI.

So, everyone with a negative experience with PTG is a liar? That’s a pretty bold claim. I’m sure you’d call of them liars in person, too.

So, everyone with a negative experience with PTG is a liar? That’s a pretty bold claim. I’m sure you’d call of them liars in person, too.
You know, the funny thing about a shill is that if they were smart, they'd learn to read the room, then go back to their master and tell them the truth.

The truth being that PTG/Kiff need to clean up their act. Starting a long time ago.

Just because jerry nadler, nancy pelosi and chuck schumer continually defend joe biden doesn't mean he's worth a shit.

Reactions: jetmd
I never said you had to use PT&G, or their actions are recommended by me, I haven't used one but I expect they would be fine, you do you, no one cares,...but their replacement bolts are recommended, IMO ...if you know what you're doing. I was relating the mostly "positive purchases" over 30 yrs. But here, as usual, the echo chamber says you can not disagree the immature one think consensus ..but I will, and am not the only one.. and hope that my positive experience continues...and that all companies strive for better quality.
So, How many of you opinionated single thought people build your AR barrels from scratch...from barrel blanks, contour, thread for barrel extension, and muzzle brake, chamber, machine gas journal, drill gas port.
Built a total obsolete caliber like 30 RAR that shoots well and functions. Machined your own dies, true your own actions, machine muzzle brakes, build a .51 caliber AR. Make obsolete brass cases, wildcats, work with hybrid cases, and 80,000 psi in your 6.5 Creedmoor to run 140 grs at 3150 fps.
Many times I use PT&G tools, also use others like Manson reamers, JG&S reamer holder etc.
But the bulk are PT&G reamers.cause it works for me.
Most of you clowns have no actual serious experience, but my shooting budy says that his gunsmith says, opinion. If everyone says it, it must be true.
These are the guys who critique and criticize, cuss, piss, and moan...but then turn around and want help with a gun problem. That gets old and very predictable.
This frankly, makes the site non productive and boring, as bloated egos and opinions tend to rule.
So why would I care, it just doesn't matter.
To show a couple of examples, Here is a 30 RAR barrel made from a blank.
Or a home built die that can take 450 down to 30 rar on one pass, no lube need but desired...or 30-06 or 270 range brass down to 8.6 blackout in one pass with nice formed shoulder, no lube required but desired as they get hot. This should be a patented idea. All the things I've learned in 35 yrs as a machinist will not be passed on sadly, as so many don't have the skills, they claim and of coarse, their non deserving bloviating attitude, sadly I see alot of that here.... of coares you have been judged, from your attitude. And your poor overly sensitive feelings?, ...who cares.
Cause my experience trumps your opinion, and most of you, your skills.
You can't, I can.
I could care less if you use PT&G or not...if ya don't my orders get out faster, but I'm not going to quit using them, cause you say so... when they've done alright by me, but will reserve that right if I get screwed over by them or anyone else.

Attachments

• 20230810_193925.jpg
    20230810_193925.jpg
    636.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230810_194053.jpg
    20230810_194053.jpg
    657.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230809_025010.jpg
    20230809_025010.jpg
    536.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220916_022817.jpg
    20220916_022817.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 29
You are probably right. Being my first build I am probably over thinking it. I am building a medium weight hunting rifle. Likely any of the actions will be fine. Without any experience in any of them it is just nice to get some data points from those who have actually used them.

I would look at the Defiance AnTi or the Pure Precision SKLTN, similar weight and features but has a 75 deg bolt throw where the AnTi is a 90 deg
The PP SKLTN is on sale right now, 949.00
The AnTi is pretty pricy but a great action

I never said you had to use PT&G, or their actions are recommended by me, I haven't used one but I expect they would be fine, you do you, no one cares,...but their replacement bolts are recommended, IMO ...if you know what you're doing. I was relating the mostly "positive purchases" over 30 yrs. But here, as usual, the echo chamber says you can not disagree the immature one think consensus ..but I will, and am not the only one.. and hope that my positive experience continues...and that all companies strive for better quality.
So, How many of you opinionated single thought people build your AR barrels from scratch...from barrel blanks, contour, thread for barrel extension, and muzzle brake, chamber, machine gas journal, drill gas port.
Built a total obsolete caliber like 30 RAR that shoots well and functions. Machined your own dies, true your own actions, machine muzzle brakes, build a .51 caliber AR. Make obsolete brass cases, wildcats, work with hybrid cases, and 80,000 psi in your 6.5 Creedmoor to run 140 grs at 3150 fps.
Many times I use PT&G tools, also use others like Manson reamers, JG&S reamer holder etc.
But the bulk are PT&G reamers.cause it works for me.
Most of you clowns have no actual serious experience, but my shooting budy says that his gunsmith says, opinion. If everyone says it, it must be true.
These are the guys who critique and criticize, cuss, piss, and moan...but then turn around and want help with a gun problem. That gets old and very predictable.
This frankly, makes the site non productive and boring, as bloated egos and opinions tend to rule.
So why would I care, it just doesn't matter.
To show a couple of examples, Here is a 30 RAR barrel made from a blank.
Or a home built die that can take 450 down to 30 rar on one pass, no lube need but desired...or 30-06 or 270 range brass down to 8.6 blackout in one pass with nice formed shoulder, no lube required but desired as they get hot. This should be a patented idea. All the things I've learned in 35 yrs as a machinist will not be passed on sadly, as so many don't have the skills, they claim and of coarse, their non deserving bloviating attitude, sadly I see alot of that here.... of coares you have been judged, from your attitude. And your poor overly sensitive feelings?, ...who cares.
Cause my experience trumps your opinion, and most of you, your skills.
You can't, I can.
I could care less if you use PT&G or not...if ya don't my orders get out faster, but I'm not going to quit using them, cause you say so... when they've done alright by me, but will reserve that right if I get screwed over by them or anyone else.
It looks to me like you know how to gunsmith and have had good experiences with PTG. My one experience with them was about 10 years ago and while the service was slow, I eventually received my order.

That said, I have read several stories of unhappy customers over the years, and many more saying to beware of dealing with PTG. Their reputation has been tarnished by their own customer service, which is something they need to correct.

Reactions: 45-90