• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PTG Blueprinted Action Combo $399

hoguer

The Dude
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Central Valley, CA
Just went into my FFL to start the CA wait on my PTG overstock blueprinted action combo. These actions were available for $399 with a "mystery" complete bolt that you only were allowed to spec the bolt face on, no other features. I paid an extra $30 for a 223 bolt face bolt. The bolt ended up being a blued straight handle, with a round knurled knob, a Sako style extractor, factory style bolt shroud and I wasn't able to pull the firing pin to check and see if it was fluted or standard.
The bolt fit the action on the tight side for sure, I don't think it would make a good candidate for cerakote. The face of the action either wasn't squared, or they put some cold blue on it to seal it up a bit, and I'm leaning towards not squared. The lugs APPEAR like they may have a little work done to them, and as talked about in the Scout thread, the threads, raceway and base screws were untouched. Overall for $429 it appears to be a pretty good deal. I'll be using it with a BugNut Rock Creek Sendero contour 20" 1-8x barrel in 223 as a reasonable priced training rifle. I'll pull the trigger and put it on eBay for a $20 recoup on the initial investment

Attachments

• photo50954.jpg
    photo50954.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 42
  • photo50955.jpg
    photo50955.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 53
  • photo50956.jpg
    photo50956.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Hope mine gets to my FL already, not that it matters as my barrel is still a ways out from criterion along with my back ordered trigger. I got the normal .470 bolt face. But Im, excited to see what configuration mine comes in.

I already had a base and recoil lug for a 700SA in the closet to help complete the assembly, the only thing I would say to people considering the blueprinted combos:
Curtus Custom Rifles is finally finished with their Axiom action. At $750 including scope base and recoil lug, plus all of the significantly improved features when compared to a R700 it's a WAY better deal. I got in on one of the first batch and should have it sometime next month for another rifle build.

Except for the fact that its 50% higher in cost. I will pretty much have my entire barreled action for the cost of that action.

Edit: Oh, and its now 925 and not 750 according to their website. so 100% higher in cost.

I don't believe the $399 deal is available any more. When paying the normal combo price of $640 vs the $750 that the Axiom was originally, then adding the cost of a base and recoil lug, the Axiom WAS the clear winner.

They are 380 now and on the front page http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/cfs-...eceiver-w-ptg-bolt-and-remington-trigger.html

I asked "Anyway I could get credit for the 19.99 difference in price for this? Bought at 399.99 and its now 380.00 before mine will ever leave your shop." hoping that they would say yes and I could apply it towards go gauge.

The reply was "No sorry, we have sales on certain weeks. The owner said no. The 380 ones are the ones we do use more cast off parts on. You can buy a second one at the 380 though"

So they are cheaper now but come with less popular parts.

So if ordering one for 380, I would get a blueprinted action put together with leftovers? Sounds like they are trying to get rid of things that nobody wanted in the first place if I understand it correctly.

Yeah. It will be all of the ugly stuff that is no ones first preference. But it will be dirt cheap comparatively. I can live with a ball for a bolt knob and a sako instead of mini16 extractor at that price.

So if ordering one for 380, I would get a blueprinted action put together with leftovers? Sounds like they are trying to get rid of things that nobody wanted in the first place if I understand it correctly.

They are no longer being listed as blueprinted, just a Action and bolt combo, and looking at my receipt that what it appears I received as well. That would explain why the face of my receiver didn't appear to have any work. Bummer.

Last edited:
It says in the description that they are blue printed still but if they didn't true the face, lug abutments and clean the threads to the centerline like I was told I'll be pretty displeased.

You are correct. I'm going to call tomorrow to find out why it appears my action still has bluing on the face of it. Hopefully they have a real answer for me

Correct. But I don't think PTG really has any "bad" bolt features. Worst case scenario you received a bolt that was the exact same spec as a factory bolt, but it would still have a PTG 1 piece bolt body, a threaded handle, and a PTG firing pin. At $380 you have a better package than a "donor" rifle from Dicks or WalMart, and you are already ahead. With the new BugNut barrels available or the standard RemAge barrels from Criterion you can have a semi custom Remington 700 that's in the Savage price territory, and with way better aftermarket support and resale should you decide to sell it.
with the fact the PTG price just dropped another $20 and Curtis raised his price to really the same point a lot of other action manufacturers are already at, I may order another one to keep on hand for a future TBD rifle build. For an extra $35 you can guarantee you receive a fluted bolt. After dropping the price by $20 that's only a $15 upgrade, well worth the money in my opinion

Last edited:
Does the action that doesn't come with a rail, still have the rail holes tapped for 8-40 bolts?

EDIT: Nevermind in the OP it is stated the base screws are untouched.

Last edited:
now they have one for $430 with the "NF" style rail with 8-40 screws that is listed as blueprinted and custom ground PTG bolt. when I called, they told me they do true up the receiver face. I made sure that's what the gal asked the machinist, as the first time she came back and told me that the bolt it blueprinted (matched) up to the receiver. So I asked if the receiver was actually trued as well and she went back to the machinist and I was told that it was. I will also say that the gal that I talked to was super helpful and took the time to go back to the machinist twice to get my questions answered. I know on the scout thread there was some complaints about their customer service. so I was expecting the worst, but got very good CS.

Except for the fact that its 50% higher in cost. I will pretty much have my entire barreled action for the cost of that action.

Edit: Oh, and its now 925 and not 750 according to their website. so 100% higher in cost.

And I don't believe they accept the Remage style barrels. Too bad, they could have killed the market with them.

I ordered mine with the fluted bolt upgrade.
Got it in two weeks ago.
It is a blued receiver and not the matte finished SPS, the face and lugs appear to have been trued and blued, there is absolutely no play in the bolt as it travels the raceway, it has a M16 extractor, the bolt knob is loosely installed which is good because I intend to replace it, also has PTG enhanced firing pin, and it has an Xmark trigger, that will get tossed as well.

My only concern is what finish to use on the bolt that will go on thin enough to last, due to such a tight fit.
More than likely I will use Brownells moly/resin.

My my only regret is I didn't order Two.

Last edited:
I with the 8-40 upgrade and base included, as well as the increase in price of the Axiom, I pulled the trigger on 3 more. For $430 you can't beat that deal. Here comes another 204, 223 and 22-250....

In my opinion if they came in Stainless/Stainless there would be no reason for me to buy anything else.

I was dead dead set on a Defiant and then I came across this deal and just couldn't justify it.

Mine has been on order for 4 weeks. I also ordered the fluted bolt upgrade. I was wondering how long it took. Thanks.

If PTG is selling trued or blueprinted actions, doesn't that seem like they are in competition with their customers? That is a practice that is not usually good for business.

If PTG is selling trued or blueprinted actions, doesn't that seem like they are in competition with their customers? That is a practice that is not usually good for business.

This deal appears to be a way to get rid of excess in stock inventory of 700 bolts. They have sold blueprinted combos for a long time at a higher price point that would make a option for a consumer, but not a very competitive one. The blueprinting does not include any cutting of the threads, a job usually performed by a gunsmith who is trueing an action and installing a new barrel. This sale is providing a great option for someone who is not dead set on your bolt specs, other than the fact you are getting a 1 piece bolt, and you want to take care of the new wave of Prefit barrels hitting the market. All of the actions im buying will have the new SPR/BugNut barrels installed on them.

Thanks for the PT&G link Scout, and to Thomas for the initial heads up, I'm also doing the new BugNut route and this is going to be perfect.

So they are saying they DO preform raceway work? Man it's something different from every person you speak to. Also:
  • A PTG piloted tap mandrel is used to chase the threads making them more true to center line
im guessing that's the scope base screws? How do you "chase" threads and make them "more true" but not open them up to a larger screw diameter??

Last edited:
The way I read it:
The person posting "Don" is a machinist at PTG.
So im reading it to mean he is doing the work, so he should know.

When i I received my action it did appear the receiver threads had been chased and the receiver face squared and then re-blued.

No sir, he is not talking about the Base screws. He is talking about the receiver threads.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=35c6BqxpYSs

http://rifleshooter.com/2013/02/blue...remington-700/

The whole process serves One purpose: To make the entire mechanism work concentric to the bore.

When these parts go through the heat treating process only the outer most layer is hardened to spec. It behooves the machinist to Not remove this hardened layer. The Blueprinting process is done in an effort to remove the minimal amount of material possible to achieve concentricity.

These particular actions as delivered from Remington to PTG are closer to factory tolerances than say a SPS rifle from Wal Mart.
So the closer the action is to Spec from Remington this means the less material that has to be removed by PTG.

If they run a mandrel/spud into the receiver and it floats in and floats out with no resistance, why would we want them to Cut/Remove metal that is already in spec.

In regards to the bolt/bolt face/lugs being trued: these are PTG bolts, Not Remington Factory bolts. The PTG bolts are manufactured at a lower volume than Remington. Therefore the wear on machinery is lower and PTG can maintain tighter tolerances on the bolt. So doing anything to the PTG bolt would be a moot point because it is so close to Spec already by doing anything to it would be self defeating.

Last edited:
Copy. Thanks for clarification, but the same question applies, how do you preform that work and not increase the diameter?

It has to do with +/- tolerances.
The Blueprint for an item being manufactured allows for +/- deviations.
When a machinist takes the Action and verifies the tolerances, in this case using a spud/mandrel that the tolerances are "known" and they find the deviations are within Blueprint specifications there is No reason to remove any material.

http://www.mmsonline.com/columns/sim...ancing-methods

Snipershide Gunsmithing forum has a wealth of knowledge. Also there are numerous other firearm forums that many of the more well known smiths frequent sharing vast amounts of knowledge.

Why wouldn't you be able to use a remage?

I believe that he was referring to the axiom action and not the ptg. The ptg you can use the remage on, the axiom I'm not sure but by his comment I assume it has different threads.

I believe that he was referring to the axiom action and not the ptg. The ptg you can use the remage on, the axiom I'm not sure but by his comment I assume it has different threads.

Correct. Axiom missed that one key element, as well as a AW mag cut. And now that it's at $925 it's in the same price range as a Stiller. We will see how their roller tipped cocking piece and 3 lug design work out.

for now this $380/$430 deal is hard to beat

Does this deal come and go? I don't need an action now but its hard to beat the price.

Does this deal come and go? I don't need an action now but its hard to beat the price.

Per PTG:
"Yes these are using up old stock, that's why the price is so cheap. No options are given as its whatever happens to be left on the shelf."

I purchased 3 with the assumption once the old stock is gone, price goes back up to the normal rate.

Picked it up. 6.5 Creedmoor, M24 contour, APA Brake. Waiting on trigger and MPA BA Comp.

I checked and it does have the PTG lightweight firing pin already.

Attachments

• IMG_7883.JPG
    IMG_7883.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7884.JPG
    IMG_7884.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 28
now they have one for $430 with the "NF" style rail with 8-40 screws that is listed as blueprinted and custom ground PTG bolt. when I called, they told me they do true up the receiver face. I made sure that's what the gal asked the machinist, as the first time she came back and told me that the bolt it blueprinted (matched) up to the receiver. So I asked if the receiver was actually trued as well and she went back to the machinist and I was told that it was. I will also say that the gal that I talked to was super helpful and took the time to go back to the machinist twice to get my questions answered. I know on the scout thread there was some complaints about their customer service. so I was expecting the worst, but got very good CS.

Is this a 20moa rail?

Is this a 20moa rail?

To be honest, not exactly sure. but it looks to have a little tapper to it, so I would think its a 20 moa. i'll have to give them a call. it was such a good deal, I didn't really care. I ordered one with a .223 bolt fact. still trying to decide on a .223 or .223 AI, but either way I think it will be fine with either a 0 or 20 moa rail.

I ordered a Chrome Moly 700 action from cheaper than dirt for $340 then found these the next day, searching for recoil lugs, wish I could have gotten in on the deal... I thought about just ordering one and getting started on another...

I just sent the Bolt to LRI to have it fluted and tac knob installed. Got a 6mm Shilen on order

Finally got to pick mine up. Straight handle, aftermarket shroud it looks like. Sako extractor. It is a tight bolt/action fit, I was planning to cerakote it but now I think Ill just leave the bolt body alone and do just the knob/shrould and exterior of the receiver
. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"617","width":"823","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/EZxGl4a.jpg?1"}[/IMG2]

Ball knob should be easily replaceable but I think Ill give it a whirl first to see if I dont mind it once I get to using it. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"714","width":"536","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/TrzIzgx.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I dont have any calipers on me here at work to measure but it looks to my naked eye like a small firing pin so my concerns that drove me to 6xc instead of dasher may be for naught.
Edit: my calipers measured the pin at .075 so its the large and not the small. Just looked smaller sitting in my office. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"649","width":"632","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/v4pdQYK.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Mine doesnt show any raw material like the OP so they either didnt true it or threw some blue on it as hypothesized above but I would say they didnt true a thing on it. Looks identical to the exterior of the action

EDIT: On accurate shooter Dave Kiff of PTG said that they will reblue them after truing so Ill take his word that that is what happened. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"636","width":"644","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/OytpywW.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"526","width":"642","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/Sp7vcTj.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
Congrats on getting a fluted bolt body. I am with you, even though they are saying they squared the face and cleaned up the raceway, im not seeing it. I have 3 coming in right now, even if they weren't touched up, with a PTG bolt and rail for $420 you couldn't beat it.

I had forgot that the fluted was extra to ensure you got it. I am pumped about that now, I was in the mind set that it would be more likely than not being an aftermarket bolt so I sort of expected it but in your first post it's not. Agreed, upgraded extractor, flutes, threaded bolt handle, hard to beat.

I do do wish that they had left them in the raw if they actually did touch them up though just for my own confidence. It is hella tight and the bluing on the bolt is already rubbing off a tad more than I expected.

Throw some grease on those lugs and just run it. It will wear where it needs to wear and smooth up. I just got my SPR BugNut 223 barrel tracking number, can't wait to get it here and put the first one together.