• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PTG Drop In My ASS!!!!

Things are this way in precision rifles because we put up with it and because a lot of guys make a living correcting it. I don't even think it's a price thing. How can Glock build a pistol with lots of cast and machined parts that are all interchangeable for 500 and Remington can't make a receiver with any kind of consistency that contains basically 6 parts for the same price? I know tolerances on a bolt gun are probably a little tighter than a semi auto pistol because of the expectation of accuracy and the pressures involved, but how much more complex is a receiver to machine than the slide on a semiautomatic pistol?

How much more complex is a receiver compared to a piston or a connecting rod that costs a fraction of the price. Take this.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...fefUbWPMxKs-8UnT8EXtpKDsCyef8s4e1mxoCHhbw_wcB

If this were a part for a precision rifle it would cost at least $300

I know there are economies of scale, but the fact is very little of this stuff is plug and play because consumers don't demand it to be. Guys are completely willing to pull out a dremel or pay as much as a part costs to a professional to install it. I certainly don't begrudge gunsmiths their living. I think of those guys as some of the last true artisans and love to see guys start and run small businesses. Helping small businesses is what I do for a living.

It just bugs me as a cheap guy because all of this stuff costs a lot more money than it could and guys end up waiting for months to get their toys back whenever they wear out parts or change configurations.

Last edited:
I have the Wyatt system, I love it. There were a few teething issues at first. All have since been worked out. I also have 2 of the 5rd and 2 of the 10rd mags. Love'em.

I had a similar problem with my PTG bottom metal with AI 223 mags. They just sat to low to cleanly strip the rounds.

So I called PTG and discussed the problem and THEY SENT ME A LONGER MAG LATCH AND THE PROBLEM WAS SOLVED.

In my case the front of the mag (where PT&G made a cut out) was not cut far enough rearward causing the front of the mag bind with the underside of the action and assume a slight nose down position. If I had a mill I could have notched the action but chose to leave it unaltered and increase the cutout in the mag... works now...

Now the DBM I have on my Winchester uses the same mag and it had the issue djskit mentioned above... just was not sitting high enough... PTG sent a "higher" latch but it was the same size as the one I had already so like a blacksmith, I smashed it with a little heat added to grow its length and then file to size. It too works great now.

Last edited:
When you walk into Remington's plant and there's a peg board full of recoil lugs of various thicknesses to bring chambers into headspace and a guy built like The Hulk with a breaker bar big enough to move tectonic plates, you come to the conclusion that tools like micrometers seem to have been replaced with knotted strings.

Chad, next time you run into this hulk next to the wall of lugs, let him know his nogo headspace gauge is off or he is using a field gauge instead as I have 5 R700's that close with ease (not even dragging) on a nogo gauge... Maybe they had a over abundance of .188 lugs to get rid of?!?

Last edited:
Is it common place to remove the part of the feed ramp that I showed in my image?

It seems to be, based on all the photos I've seen on this forum of notched receivers. I may be alone in this but I don't think cutting that part of a receiver is the right way to do it:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...7-wsm-build-now-new-barrel-2.html#post3147706

Does anyone make a bottom metal that's shifted back for the non-spacer magazines, or maybe one without the action screw holes drilled so that the holes can be drilled to match the receiver and position the magazine properly?

If it does "drop in" that is not a guarantee that its going to function correctly or at all.
PTG usually supplies pillars and if you use them ( or machine your existing ones to the same OAL ) feeding issues should not be an issue. You also have mag catch fit and feed lips / case height to check.

I used different bottom metal fitted for AI / AICS magazine. I have three 10 shot mags and two 5 shot mags. All fit the bottom metal and catch perfectly but one of the 5 shot mags feed lips were sitting low and needed a slight tweak. Always check your work and all the parts yo intend to use for fit and function.

My ptg dbm didn't feed in my pre inletted choate tactical. Thought it was an inletting problem but even when I just had the bottom metal on the pillars with no stock, it still function. Turned out it just needed a little more inlet. Not a huge deal though. Now it works great with a ten round 308 aics.

Things are this way in precision rifles because we put up with it and because a lot of guys make a living correcting it. I don't even think it's a price thing. How can Glock build a pistol with lots of cast and machined parts that are all interchangeable for 500 and Remington can't make a receiver with any kind of consistency that contains basically 6 parts for the same price? I know tolerances on a bolt gun are probably a little tighter than a semi auto pistol because of the expectation of accuracy and the pressures involved, but how much more complex is a receiver to machine than the slide on a semiautomatic pistol?

How much more complex is a receiver compared to a piston or a connecting rod that costs a fraction of the price. Take this.

its not that i could not have made it work it just would have looked like shit way up in the stock
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...fefUbWPMxKs-8UnT8EXtpKDsCyef8s4e1mxoCHhbw_wcB

If this were a part for a precision rifle it would cost at least $300

I know there are economies of scale, but the fact is very little of this stuff is plug and play because consumers don't demand it to be. Guys are completely willing to pull out a dremel or pay as much as a part costs to a professional to install it. I certainly don't begrudge gunsmiths their living. I think of those guys as some of the last true artisans and love to see guys start and run small businesses. Helping small businesses is what I do for a living.

It just bugs me as a cheap guy because all of this stuff costs a lot more money than it could and guys end up waiting for months to get their toys back whenever they wear out parts or change configurations.

if that was a part for a rifle it would be scope rings. i had a wyatts it worked great. i have two m5s they both work great too. the bolt in bdl i had trouble with and PTG is making it right. i appreciate a company like that.

Last edited: