• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing PTG"s customer service is awesome!

264highlandhunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2011
Pocatello, ID
Just wanted to take a minute and tell you guys about an extremely positive customer service experience I had with Pacific Tool and Gauge. A couple weeks ago I ordered some bottom metal from them and it never did show up in the mail. Well yesterday I called them to see if they had a tracking number for the package. Well the nice lady at PTG put me on hold and called USPS to see what was the deal. Turns out that when I ordered the bottom metal apparently I rushed through the shipping info. because they sent it to an old adress that I used to live at and it was "undeliverable", so it was returned to PTG. Well upon hearing this I started to tell the lady that I would be willing to pay for expedited shipping to get it here fast and before I could even finish my sentance she stopped me and said "Oh no, I will take care of all of that". So she overnighted me the package and it was on my doorstep today about noon. The mistake here was mine, not theirs, and they totally took care of me! This is just exceptional customer service in my eyes and I will personally be buying anything I can from now on from PTG, hope you guys will too.

Re: PTG"s customer service is awesome!

Glad things worked out for you.

My current experience is a bit disappointing.

Placed an order <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Jan 20th</span></span> and was told everything was in stock and woud be shipped.

Called on <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Jan 31st</span></span> wanting to know the status as I had not recieved anything and was told order was pending due to an item was backordered. I said no I was told everything was in stock. CS then told me that one item wasnt availible and if I wanted the other items shipped right away and I replied yes.They told me there would be no charge to me when the back ordered piece was shipped. Great....

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Feb 7th</span></span> Customer Service calls me and tells me they somehow lost my credit card info and would not ship until they got it.They dropped the ball twice on me. PT&G offered nothing as far as expedited shipping. To boot shipping is $22 on a few range rods and some cutting tools.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Feb 14th</span></span> is the delivery date.

I only needed some of the stuff like last month.

They wouldn't even let me double check my order and information. I was told to call back in 5 weeks if it hadn't been shipped/received.

great tools and parts but they have some problems in the office with ordering. I have had many orders go without a problem but have also had more than one with problems of some sort.

A LOT of people are having trouble with PTG right now. In fact <span style="text-decoration: underline">everyone</span> I've talked to about it has said the same thing..

Dave is a very nice guy and has helped me out before with things I needed quick, but something's going on there recently.

Try ordering PTG tools/parts from Midway or Brownells. Ordering direct from PTG is a mistake right now it seems.

I'm sure they are just a lil slow due to the amount of orders they got at SHOT. They do a special there and do quite a bit of business... and have a nie number of bolts, etc to do once they get back to the shop. PTG is GTG!!!

Same with me. ordered my BM in Dec told it should be ready in Jan, called mid Jan they said should ship on Feb 6th. Called the 6th, told it would take 2 days before they could get an update and they would call me back. Today no call, I really do want the BM, but that will be my last time I purchase from them.

Couple of months ago I bought a replacement firing pin assembly with bolt shroud. I got it and it wouldn't screw in far enough for the cocking piece to actually hit the cocking notch. I called and CS did understand and said I was doing it wrong. There is only one way to screw in a FP assembly. I had to send a reamer in for service so I through the bolt and fp assembly the box and they said they would fit it. Some time later I got it back in the same condition I had sent it in. Called cs she went on the floor and talked to somebody and the said hey adjusted the firing pin protrusion. She told me to send it in again and the would fix it. They wanted me to ship on my dime. I faced.007 off the back of the bolt shroud where it was hitting the bolt. Works fine now

I just received a couple of reamers from them. The customer service and communication was awful. If the shop is as disorganized as customer service, these reamers will be scrap iron.

I guess if you are planning on building something last minute...then you are always going to have a problem..poor planning on your part doesn't constitute for an emergency for someone else...I believe a good tool is worth waiting for..I also love the way Dave Kiff will take the time to talk someone through and share his knowledge..its no wonder this company has grown so big so fast that it is taking longer to get tools that it used to be.I say PTG ROCKS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lynnshadycove</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess if you are planning on building something last minute...then you are always going to have a problem..poor planning on your part doesn't constitute for an emergency for someone else...I believe a good tool is worth waiting for..I also love the way Dave Kiff will take the time to talk someone through and share his knowledge..its no wonder this company has grown so big so fast that it is taking longer to get tools that it used to be.I say PTG ROCKS. </div></div>

Could it be that lynnshadecove WORKS for Dave ????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lynnshadycove</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess if you are planning on building something last minute...then you are always going to have a problem..poor planning on your part doesn't constitute for an emergency for someone else...I believe a good tool is worth waiting for..I also love the way Dave Kiff will take the time to talk someone through and share his knowledge..its no wonder this company has grown so big so fast that it is taking longer to get tools that it used to be.I say PTG ROCKS. </div></div>

Sorry in advance for being inflammatory, but this is an asshat thing to say. The custom/high end firearm industry (in general) sucks balls when analyzed from a professionalism/organization/delivery point of view. Plus, it often has LITTLE to do with procrastination and improper planning on the customer's part.

For example, I've been trying to get a build together since August. When I started, I thought having it done for January 1 would be no problem.... It would have been, if promised delivery dates were even CLOSE to having been met! None of it has been because I didn't plan/organize/account for things. The *entire* reason my project is going so slowly is firearms businesses NOT delivering what/when they said they would.

I did order a custom reamer from PTG, and honestly, of all the outfits I've worked with so far, their delievery/professionalism has been about the best. I think they quoted me 8 weeks for the reamer, and shipped it in 10 weeks.

The industry as a whole is despicable, and it's obnoxious. In the industry I work in, the quoted vs. REAL delivery dates we have going on in the firearms industry would quickly put us out of business.

Response from PTG - RE: Customer Service

Pacific Tool & Gauge, Inc. is currently VERY busy. We have increased the number of employees from 80 to 110 and we run 3 full-time shifts in our machine shop and in our manual tool & cutting side of the shop. We hope to be back to 4 week delivery dates in 90 days. We took a lot of orders at the Shot Show and also have a few large military contracts that have us backed up, but we are getting more out each day. Remember, you will always get the best, highest quality cutting tool that is made in the USA from us!

If you ever have questions about orders, or why your parts are taking so long to get out call me and I will get to the bottom of it. The office is working at full speed and they are up to their eyes in orders. Try our on-line store for orders (http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com). We have the majority of our product listed and list new and special items in the web store daily. Ordering through the web store helps the girls in office focus on their thousands of emails and an average phone call every 33 seconds. One thing that would help us and help expedite your order when calling back is remember who took your order, so we can get you back to the correct sales person. Here is a list of our sales staff and their extensions:
• Sandee Jo - Ext. 101
• Kathleen - Ext. 103
• Yvette - Ext. 104
• Megun - Ext. 105
• Sheri - Ext. 108
• Deb - Ext. 110
• Ashley - Ext. 111
• Tracey - Ext. 112
• Ashley Jo - Ext. 113
• Michele - Ext. 115

We are trying in every way to get parts out faster without compromising quality and handle your calls in a professional manner. We are all settled in now with our new machines and the new employees are picking-up knowledge and speed... Hope this helps you all understand that we are working hard to get things going through smooth & we really appreciate your patience during our growing pains.

Sincerely,

Dave Kiff
President
Pacific Tool & Gauge, Inc.

Pacific Tool & Gauge, Inc. is currently VERY busy. We have increased the number of employees from 80 to 110 and we run 3 full-time shifts in our machine shop and in our manual tool & cutting side of the shop. We hope to be back to 4 week delivery dates in 90 days. We took a lot of orders at the Shot Show and also have a few large military contracts that have us backed up, but we are getting more out each day. Remember, you will always get the best, highest quality cutting tool that is made in the USA from us!

If you ever have questions about orders, or why your parts are taking so long to get out call me and I will get to the bottom of it. The office is working at full speed and they are up to their eyes in orders. Try our on-line store for orders (http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com). We have the majority of our product listed and list new and special items in the web store daily. Ordering through the web store helps the girls in office focus on their thousands of emails and an average phone call every 33 seconds. One thing that would help us and help expedite your order when calling back is remember who took your order, so we can get you back to the correct sales person. Here is a list of our sales staff and their extensions:
• Sandee Jo - Ext. 101
• Kathleen - Ext. 103
• Yvette - Ext. 104
• Megun - Ext. 105
• Sheri - Ext. 108
• Deb - Ext. 110
• Ashley - Ext. 111
• Tracey - Ext. 112
• Ashley Jo - Ext. 113
• Michele - Ext. 115

We are trying in every way to get parts out faster without compromising quality and handle your calls in a professional manner. We are all settled in now with our new machines and the new employees are picking-up knowledge and speed... Hope this helps you all understand that we are working hard to get things going through smooth & we really appreciate your patience during our growing pains.

Sincerely,

Dave Kiff
President
Pacific Tool & Gauge, Inc.

Re: Response from PTG - RE: Customer Service

I absolutely love the 1 piece bolt..maybe that's all I should of said...I will continue to order them..

Thanks Dave. Didn't know you had a new web store. I love to just order stuff without calling places. This should also free up the office.

Thanks for the post Dave. I ordered a reamer at the beginning of last week and the girl (I forget who) said it should be about 5 weeks. I'm pretty excited.

The girls told me today that more than half the orders taken have been on the shelf for same week delivery. The wildcats, bolts and some bottom metal are out-of-stock, but it keeps our machines running and us in business.

Dave Kiff

Mine was a wildcat. I can deal with 5 weeks though.
smile.gif

I've known David Kiff since 1999 when he had about 5 employees. Today he has over 100. Growth like that obviously means he has a full plate. As with any growing business there's challenges to overcome.

I received a Christmas card every year I spent in the Middle East from David.

-The only vendor in this trade to do that.

Every tool I own is manufactured by them. Has there been issues in the past? Yes. Has David gone to great lengths to resolve them? Absolutely.

He'll have my business for as long as I operate in this trade.

The Shot Show was just a few weeks ago. Anyone who's ever gone to one as a vendor understands the level of work and commitment it takes to pull it off. It starts well in advance and continues afterwards. It causes an almost industry wide lag on deliveries. It's been this way forever and it'll likely stay that way too.

Be patient, be considerate. He'll do his part.

Chad

Dave and his staff are fine people to deal with and his reamers are top drawer.I bought 2 300blk reamers from him and they cut outstanding chambers I have been a pro smith for years and this was my first buy from Dave's company but not my last.

Never had much for problems with numerous deals I have done with PTG. Only real issue was an XC reamer that wouldn't cut right and Dave and girls took care of me right away by sending a new reamer within a week.

Always friendly conversations when ordering from Kathleen or Megun.

I read on forums daily with some newbie asking a question about calibers, freebore etc and the same response from some other near newbie is "call Dave at PTG and he will answer your questions"!!!

Can't imagine how Dave gets anything done with just the phone calls he takes. I'd go postal and pop a cap in my noggin if I had to deal with all the chit he does. Also can't imagine some of the stupid chit the girls have to find answers to. When I read some of the posts on forums from many without a clue on reamer specifics etc it is a wonder they can even figure out what the potential customer is talking about or referring to.

Try to figure out what someone wants/needs when even they don't know??? Surprised they do as well as they do with getting the right things shipped or manufacturered.

Respectfully,
Dennis

I was very happy with the orders I made from PTG I even had the chance to talk with Mr., Kiff once and it was a pleasure he is a great guy and makes great products

I certainly did not intend to open a can of worms here, I only wanted to share a very positive experience that I had from a company that makes without question some of the finest products in the industry. Thank you Dave for the great products you turn out.

Dave and crew have been phenomenal to deal with for me.....I have ordered a couple of reamers lately, both a little on the custom side and both orders have left me impressed with their professionalism and customer service. Seldom do you get that in this day and age. I'll definitely order my next ones from Dave...

Sorry to hear that some people have been having delays getting orders filled. But glad to hear that an American company is busy...making tools!!!

I have been buying reamers and other tooling from PTG for 12 years. There service has always been great for my little shop.There service has been a little slow the last few months.We are all very lucky to have a great company that does so much for us in the firearms business.JUST BE PATIENT!! they will get back on track soon.These days every one in the firearms industry is very busy.Thats a good thing for all of us.

About a month ago I was in White City and stopped by to see Dave and the crew. There wasn't a place to park, they were that busy keeping employees working. We ran down and talked to Dave and Megun and bought a couple reamers and got outa there hair.

Even though they were very busy Dave took the time to talk to us and answer any questions we had & hes never to busy to talk on the phone either.I know their business has picked up greatly and they do get behind at times but they have always delivered when they said they would.

Thank you Dave and Crew
Kc

Pacific Tool and Gauge screws up 1/3rd of our orders.

They just screwed up another one I have to call them tomorrow about.

Hey Dave, you might want to do something sir. Fire your phone staff, slow down and get shit together.

You make us lose money! Please start caring.

I just called them.

NO APOLOGY AT ALL. Not one fucking "Im sorry", or "sorry about that". Just "OK".

And I was told I would be charged for the three new bushings until I return the incorrect ones.

They can't eat the cost of THREE REAMER PILOTS($30) when they screwed up in the first place, and we have spent thousands of dollars there.

THAT is PTGs customer service.

Im not wasting my time sending the other ones back, spending $10 on shipping to get back $30. So again we lost money with them.

and btw, the dimensions that are off, are off by a machinist MILE. Im not being picky about tenths of a thou here... they're not even in the ball park of what I ordered.

Keep your Christmas cards, Id rather have correct orders.

I spoke the bad so I'll speak the good...

They sent me the bushings, correct this time.

I also needed a gauge over-nighted and they got that done for us.

Still lost the $35 on the original bushings, plus shipping a second time, but oh well.

PTG produces parts we NEED. We count on you PTG, and we realize how hard your job is doing as much as you do. But maybe you're doing too much. Your website has soo much on it for sale. Maybe leave some things to other people and stick to your meat n potatoes? Instead of trying to do it all? I dunno. The volume of work you put out is staggering. I respect people who do a lot of work, but not when they try to do more than they can do right.

This industry needs you and the things you produce.

Last edited:
I have order several things from PTG in the past year,reamers, bushings,jigs and gauges. All have showed up in the time frame they presented to me and in good quality. I also bought a scratch and ding bottom metal that was discounted could not find a scratch or a ding in it look great and of good quality. Top notch company in my opinion.

PTG"s customer service is awesome!

I really hate to talk bad about a company, but I've only had 2 dealings with them and both were not good. I'd like to do another build using one of their bolts but I don't want to wait 10 months either.

Anyone else notice they are going to start selling receiver kits?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f... PTG go with JGS.

+100 - Never ever seen a company run like this that is still in business. 10 yrs ago they were great to deal with. Sad to see and watch them circle the drain. The whole front office needs to be fired and replaced with men that actually give a shit about what they sell and produce. I would hate to see a dollar value put on all the lost sales, screwed up orders, pissed off customers due to the female sales force. Someone that knows how to run a large company needs to be hired to run the place before the boat sinks. The current management seems to be clueless.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator: