• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Public Service Announcement: cheap AR10/A5 length carbine buffer tube

flyer

Unicorn hunter
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2018
Unless I'm going to use a JP SCS on a large frame AR, I always want to use an AR10 length carbine buffer tube so I can use standard AR15 buffers instead of expensive shorty buffers.

The problem is finding a buffer tube at a reasonable price.

Vltor makes one and it is top tier stuff but expensive. POF makes one that is pretty nice but almost as expensive.

The cheap option is the PSA PA10 carbine buffer tube. I bought one of those.

The good news, the PA10 buffer tube is the AR10 length I'm looking for. The bad news is that when I installed it my Aero Precision upper would no longer close on my Aero Precision lower.

The problem is that the top half of the buffer threads was not cut back far enough by about half a thread. It had me scratching my head for about 15 minutes before I saw where the interference was happening.

My solution was to remove the tube, file back the threads (2 tries, my first left just a bit too much material), reinstall and then use a Birtchwood Casey Super Black touch up pen to blacken the exposed aluminum.

So, the PSA might need some work if you buy it.

That might be a deal breaker for some people. In that case I suggest POF.

This is the same length tube as used in the Vltor A5 system so it can work for a budget A5 buffer setup for an AR15 (A5 is not compatible with large frame ARs) but the upper interference is the same.