• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Pulsar N550 Digisight

Re: Pulsar N550 Digisight

Just be sure to account for the rise in cheek weld, if you can get away with a QD on the Pulsar it would make sense because then you could interchange between different calibers once you know the X/Y axis settings for each shooting platforms "zero".

BB

Yeah I have thought about that, not sure that that would be much of a problem using the digisight on my AR platforms. I'm shooting more NTCH, one thing about the digisight it's not real easy to get behind anyways.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: springer01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First night out with the Digisight !! Approximately 110yrds 3/4 moon.

</div></div>

Excellent ! Where is the video? The photo is worthless without VIDEO
laugh.gif

Seriously though good take, I missed my shot a couple of days ago at 200 yards. Was recording and thought I would be "slick" and take a headshot.

There is a big hog out there somewhere with a freshly shaven chin.

BB

Anybody have any experience if they will hold up to a Muzzle Brake? Alot of optics won't.

I am shooting a short 700 with interchangeable barrels in 6/284 220 swift 308 243 223 with no problems YET

Geo aka stuhlschuter

I had planned to put one on a AR-10 with a Miculek Brake, I'm a big old monster but my wife is 5'-6" and 120 lbs. So almost everything has a brake on it. I shot a 20" PolyTech AK yesterday with a new mount set-up while I am waiting for the Burris scope to come in. The Vortex scope I used lasted 109 rds, so that made me worry about the 550, it will cost alot more than the Vortex.

Having some dimming issues with mine noticed it last time out thought it was low batteries. Tried two sets of fully charged batteries last night still having the same issue. Contrast turned up to max and I can't see crap even with the Luna IR then it will flicker back to bright then slowly dim again. Turning the unit off for a second and back on seems to fix it temporarily (maybe 2 minutes) then it starts again. Have read of similar issues eventually resulting in complete failure.

Gonna try an external power supply to maybe rule out the batteries..

Tanner

Sorry to hear this. There is a guy on another forum, says his gave up the ghost this past weekend.

It is a great tool when it works.

Keep us posted!

BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: springer01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having some dimming issues with mine noticed it last time out thought it was low batteries. Tried two sets of fully charged batteries last night still having the same issue. Contrast turned up to max and I can't see crap even with the Luna IR then it will flicker back to bright then slowly dim again. Turning the unit off for a second and back on seems to fix it temporarily (maybe 2 minutes) then it starts again. Have read of similar issues eventually resulting in complete failure.

Gonna try an external power supply to maybe rule out the batteries..</div></div>

I got mine last week and noticed very similar behavior. I did get a video recorder so I was able to document the problem. It happens just after the 4 min mark.

http://vimeo.com/32068823

I'm sure my batteries are good.

Let us know if Pulsar/suppliers replace the unit for you. This NV unit is a great option if the companies back up their product.

It seems to happen after a few minutes of use and just after I point it at something that appears bright on the screen (usually something reflective and nearby). Turning it off resets it but only if I keep it off for several minutes.

Battle Cat -

Thanks for the video, I am not an expert on this device but I would say that the image rendered before and after the 4 minute mark are normal.

You have a camera lense integrated with a digital CCD device onboard the unit that is reliant upon ambient light to render an image. When a surge or "spike" of high intensity light is present there is recalibration occurring internally to render the image along with your human eye recognizing the change. When the surge of light dissapates the CCD along with our eyes have to cool (color temperature not physically) to resume normal visibility. The human eye I would guess only needs a few seconds to achieve this. The pulsar may not be able to do it without a power down and power up to tell the digital circuitry that we are back to zero (rebooted).

So again your video allows us to discuss what normal "quirks" are of the device versus what is impending failure.

From what I understand there are users who have experienced a complete failure whereby the devices image gradually dims and upping the brightness helps initially but eventually you run out of adjustment overhead, have a dim image and then ZAP.

This would be different symptoms then what you show on your video.

Next time I got out I can attempt to recreate your video test and attain the same results so that you can see it is a Pulsar digisight "quirk".

BB

Yeah mine has nothing to do with looking a bright object. I can be looking into complete darkness,and my screen starts to dim. Turn contrast up and then it dims again.

Ran it the other night and the first 30 minutes it ran without a hitch. After that it started doing it again, got some new 2700mAh batteries yesterday. Looks like the batteries I have been using are only 2300mAh gonna try these before I call Pulsar.

I have the same problem, but it is quickly resolved by moving the scope close to the ground so that it can adjust properly. What sort of batteries are lasting the longest with these scopes. The batteries that came with the scope are amazing. where can a guy get more of them at?

The first thing I tried was the opposite of what aggravated it and pointed it at something dark/distant. I also tried turning down the gain then turning it off altogether. Only leaving it off for several minutes restored normal function.

I think it may be an overheating issue and the longer you point it at something bright, the faster it heats up. If it was a bug in the automatic gain software, power cycling it would fix it immediately.

I'm pretty sure the CCD requires heatsinking. Security cameras (for which these CCDs were designed) even have Peltiers to provide cooling.

The best rechargeable AA and AAA batteries for almost any situation will be Sanyo Eneloops. Any flashlight fanatic will tell you that. I have a pretty big stockpile of batteries as well as fancy testers and chargers so I'm fairly certain it's not the batteries.

I FINALLY found a salesman that knew how to set-up a recorder to a N550 and had 4-different options that ran from $139-249. I just ordered the $249 with a Pelican style case and some options and it is being shipped Priority Mail for $285 total. He set me up with the case, adapters and cable from scope to recorder and a remote wired start/stop switch. This DVR unit is so tiny it will fit in your front shirt pocket. There are lots of folks here that know alot, but this salesman knew what I needed. They also have a wireless set-up for $65 you can add to it so you don't have have a cable between the scope and the DVR in your pocket. I did not order that but I'm going to call them back, that just seems too cool, I don't know what I was thinking. I'll post links to auctions that have them so you can see them, but I would call and talk to a human, so you make sure you have everything you need for your application. They were very helpfull. Quality Video Components (616)-887-6887, on EBay he had 35,206 feedbacks with a 99.6% Positive. What I bought with case the Ebay#380345960958, $179 # 230545544225, $179 230520344573, $139 # 380293807292. I hope that helps ya'll. I'm going to go call and order the wireless set-up.

Well I DON'T BELIEVE THIS. I called back to order the wireless unit. I ordered the other stuff 1-hour and 9 minutes ago and the guy told me it was shipped. I thought he was pulling my leg or trying to get more shipping charges. He told me don't worry both orders ship for free. I checked my e-mail and already had a tracking number. Man I need to see what else they sell.

Need more information on this recorder, links to the technical information from the manufactuer...

I take it the recorder works off batteries?

I don't see how the data can be wirelessly transferred, like I said need more info!

The price is up there but the convenence and portability, if it works as advertised, would be top notch.

My recorder cost 150.00 but needs a power source and wired connection.

BB

The wireless connection has 2-parts, one plugs into the recorder and runs off the power on that unit and the other is a unit that plugs into the scope and has a compartment for a 9-volt battery. They had the recorders from from $139-249. I'll post pics when I get mine. I was just impressed by the service and the tech help. I felt like I was lost in the wilderness when I was looking for a recorder. Everybody local like Best Buy, Radio Shack and other electronics or camera stores looked at me like I was from Mars or a Terrorist when I would ask them about it and they did not have a clue, these guys sure seemed to know what they were talking about, thats's why I posted their phone number to call, not just buy off EBay. ken

Ken this is just great info ,,,, Im have been doing the same thing you were trying to get that info with no luck at all !

Have a happy thanks giving and thank you

Geo

Leaving tonight for a week of night hunting ,,,,,,,,,,
Priceless

If I can find somebody local that knows how to do the youtube thing I'll try and post some video. Call those guys, if you get the same one I got, he really knew his stuff. The $65 extra for the wireless set-up seems to be the way to go, especially if you are bailing out of a Jeep to take a shot. I'm huge and my Jeep is small so there are enough problems already, we don't need to complicate things. I love my 1952 M-38 Jeep but I'm 6'-6" and 280 lbs. http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad293/338ken/DragonovPigs2.jpg

I got my N550 today and messed around with it for a couple of hours and it's amazing. I have a new ATN Night Arrow 6 Gen 2+ and the 550 smokes it. My wireless video recorder should be in the first part of this coming week. I do not know how fragile the 550 will be so I'm keeping my ATN's too. I'll post how the video recorder works. Happy Hunting, ken

Sighted mine in today. Great scope, sorry directions. The manual and the one shot zero lost something in the translation. I sighted mine in manually and took 5-rounds, I gave up on the one shot zero. I put mine in a lead sled and moved the crosshairs to the hole. Kinda like drifting the front sight on a pistol or sighting in a AK. I really like the scope though.

12-5-11

Update # 3 -

I obtained a Dr. Bob's Doubler base and a Sony VCL-HG1737C 1.7x Teleconverter lense.

After the failed Canon Doubler project I decided to spend money on the Sony lense as it is well documented to work.

Installation was easy enough, you snap the base adapter into the front of the Pulsar's lense shroud:

DSC04949Small.jpg

DSC04948Small.jpg

You then screw the teleconverter into the threads on the inside rim of the base adapter.

DSC04957Small.jpg

DSC04958Small.jpg

The finished look of the Sony add-on lense.

DSC04959Small.jpg

DSC04960Small.jpg

Video footage with Doubler, THE SCOPE WAS NOT ATTACHED TO A FIREARM for filming these vids.

City street and houses

Field in the City

BB

Did you have to glue the adapter into the lens shroud? Just wondering if this is something that can be removed without any modifications to scope.

I am a glue'r, it may not look great but it isn't going to shift.

The base is designed with 4 grub screws that would be used to anchor the case into the scopes housing, all is designed to be done without modification to the scope (i/e turning a screw on the scope).

There are no reports of adverse function from using the base with the Sony lense as designed.

But I got glue so why not use it.

BB

I just purchase one of these, got it mounted to gun yesterday. Took it to sight in after dark and then immediately after shooting for 45 minutes walked into the woods to check my feeder. Somebody was home and I took care of it. Nice way to break it in..
The two nights I've owned the scope and my new gun (Marlin 17 HMR) I have 3 coons, a possum and two hogs (one 200# one about 90# just got few hours ago)

Mine scope tonight was experiencing the same problems as the other people mentioned. After it ran for maybe 10 or more minutes the screen sort of lost its ability to see in the dark and became less sensitive until it turned grey/dark and no picture. I could aim it at the moon and nothing. I turned it off, back on no dice. Turned off walked back to truck maybe 5 minutes then turned on, worked fine. After running a few minutes did the same thing. Power cycle does not help, I agree I believe its a heat problem of some sort internally. Bummer, sucks to have brand new gear you want to use crap out after a day. Since I have only had it a day or two I am going to try and return it DOA back from where I purchased it (Cabellas). I'll see how that goes. I could use it if I just turned it on when I needed to shoot something, but as much as I don't want to not have it I believe it needs to work correctly for the $ spent on it. There is definitely a higher percentage of problems than there should be. If this scope only worked at night I'd return it for an ATN arrow or Mars that would hold up better but I really like the fact that this thing works just fine in the daytime and can record video. Only two things keeping it on my gun.

I'm glad I found this forum seems a good user group for feedback on this unit. Thanks.

Scott

Scott -

Keep us posted, I wouldn't have thought it would have been adversely affected by the recoil impulse of a .17 HMR.

I know a guy on another forum that shoots the heck out of his on a few different weapons platform and he hasn't had a single issue.

Ever since my first "blackout" I haven't had another and I have loaded batteries in it and just run the scope non-stop for 2 - 3 hours. To see if it is a heat issue but again no repeats.

I hope Pulsar ends up integrating the fix in the coming years based on all the returns of units, I am on this train for at least 3 years.......

BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338ken</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My wireless video recorder should be in the first part of this coming week. II'll post how the video recorder works. Happy Hunting, ken</div></div>

....Well where is this wireless video? How did it perform?

I wake up everyday hoping for an update and I go to bed disappointed in the absence of new Pulsar video.

BB

I thought the guys following this thread might like an update to the "blackout" issue occuring with their Pulsar N550 Digisight units. As a Pulsar dealer since this product was introduced in North America back in July 2010, deltaoutdoorsman.com has assisted quite a few guys here in answering questions about the unit, it's performance, limitations, etc. We have been keeping abreast of this issue with Pulsar & here is an email I received today from their Technical Support division. His name is Mike...

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">"We have received a number of inquiries in relation to issues with the Pulsar Digisight N550. We are currently aware of this and are working on finding a solution or solutions. This is not a product wide problem but there have been enough complaints to warrant an investigation into why exactly customers are receiving product that has failed their expectations.

A common issue we have found is that the batteries shipped with the unit are rechargeable and may have discharged during storage or shipping resulting in the unit not working straight out of the box. Using a set of fully recharged batteries usually solves this problem. If this still does not work we recommend trying four new high quality batteries before determining that the unit truly has an issue.

If you are still having problems with the unit please contact us so we can get this resolved for you as soon as possible.

Michael B.

Technical Support
Sellmark Corporation
(817) 225-0310"</span></span>

While nobody likes to hear that there may be an issue with their equipment, it is good to see that Pulsar is being proactive in researching & addressing the problem. In my dealings with their company, I have found them to be (from top to bottom) VERY service oriented and dedicated to putting out a great product and backing it up. If you bought your N550 Digisight from me and are experiencing the "blackout" issue, PLEASE let me know so I can assist in getting the issue addressed in your unit.

Hope this will help move the conversation forward regarding the N550 Digisight. It is in a class all its own, from both a performance & price point perspective. I think all of us here want to see the product succeed & evolve into an even better piece of kit.

Ceylon
deltaoutdoorsman.com
(901)334-6808

12-23-2011 -

Update # 4

....okay this is where we separate the Men from the Boys. =P

I got this idea from another Youtube'r who employed a Bosch AEGIS IR Illuminator (designed for CCTV applications) along with fielding his Pulsar Digisight.

I have spent the last two months accumilating the parts to demo this setup for my hunting application. I do 95% of my hunting from a blind or stand so for me a semi-fixed/permanent setup is okay.

I picked a great weekend to demo the setup as the evening was overcast and there was zero moonlight. These ordinarily would be conditions were the Pulsar N550 is a no-go for hunting.

....all that has changed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2j3En6p6zw

BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ceylonc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hope this will help move the conversation forward regarding the N550 Digisight. It is in a class all its own, from both a performance & price point perspective. I think all of us here want to see the product succeed & evolve into an even better piece of kit.

Ceylon
deltaoutdoorsman.com
(901)334-6808 </div></div>

Ceylon -

Thanks for the information ! Have a Merry Christmas.

Hey folks -

I have a request, I am wanting information from someone who is technically inclined towards battery and voltage to layout for us a method of going to the local hardware or radioshack and building an external battery supply for the pulsar scope.

I believe it was mentioned earlier in this thread but part #'s and photos are worth a 1000 words....

Thx,

BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bennybone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey folks -

I have a request, I am wanting information from someone who is technically inclined towards battery and voltage to layout for us a method of going to the local hardware or radioshack and building an external battery supply for the pulsar scope.

I believe it was mentioned earlier in this thread but part #'s and photos are worth a 1000 words....

Thx,

BB </div></div>
Hi BB,

Pulsar just introduced an external battery pack, the EPS5, that can be used with the N550 Digisight. It is a "game changer" from the persepctive of being able to run the unit for an entire night without worrying about battery life. I have ONE in stock...

P1120620.jpg

P1120621.jpg

P1120623.jpg

P1120622.jpg

It is brand new to the market, so there really isn't much out there in terms of reviews. We'll be adding it to the deltaoutdoorsman.com website any day now. MAP pricing runs $129.00.

Thanks
Ceylon
deltaoutdoorsman.com

For those of you who have been looking for Yukon MPR clones, I have two words of warning.

The first is that there are very similar mini DVRs on eBay and elsewhere that have similar names, boxes, and even look very similar in pictures until put side-by-side. However, they are not the same.

The one on the right is the one you want because it will record audio with an internal microphone when connected to a video-only feed such as that from a Pulsar device. It also has the option of turning off the date/time stamp. The one on the left does not have that option so its date/time stamp overlaps the OSD of the Digisight so neither can be read.

The second warning is that the correct mini DVR is getting hard to find on eBay for a good price. It is often labeled as a DVR-596. Some people on other forums have bought them from hishopnow.com in the past. However, when I placed an order I never received anything, resulting in a months-long nightmare trying to get PayPal to refund my money. I ended up buying it from an Amazon affiliate for $145.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Despite the appearance of a mic, the imposter has no internal microphone. You can only get audio if you buy an external microphone and find a way to mount it.

Also, I posted a video of my Digisight's "blackout" problem a few months ago. It was quickly replaced under warranty without question. The replacement does not appear to have that problem though I haven't formally tested it yet. Once the leaves on the trees in the original video grow back I will reproduce the test as faithfully as possible to make it an apples-to-apples comparison.

Overall, I'm satisfied enough with the Digisight and Pulsar's customer support that I ordered a Pulsar Recon X550 (basically a monocular version of the Digisight).

Last, but not least, there is a new Digisight with 4.5-7.5X zoom:

http://www.pulsar-nv.com/product.aspx?prid=53&am=1&asm=49

-338ken

I was wondering how the DVR worked out for you, also does anyone know of a way to receive parts for the N550, my cap came off during a hunt and was wondering of there was a way to order another.

Hi, I've just gotten this sight and was playing with the reticle editor... . I'm trying to build a multi-aim point reticle for the N550 without too much trial and error shooting at the range... Approximately how many MOA is each minor grid/pixel in the reticle editor worth?

Gday Bennybone,

Your YouTube vids are set to private - any chance of being able to view them champ?
TIA

WhiteMeat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiteMeat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gday Bennybone,

Your YouTube vids are set to private - any chance of being able to view them champ?
TIA

WhiteMeat</div></div>

You bet, they are again made public.

THx,

BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bennybone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiteMeat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gday Bennybone,

TIA

WhiteMeat</div></div>

You bet, they are again made public.

THx,

BB</div></div>

Thank you a bunch!

i just got mine and its great i cant say any thing but good about it very clear and i have the 940 nm ext pulsar light and 200 yards about is all iv done and its so nice and very stelth
i got a great deal on it the distributer is selling them on amazon for 1349.99 with the ext light and case and remote that mounts on the gun and i got it next day free shipping no tax shiped by amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Pulsar-Digisight-D...+Digisight+N550

I need an IR illuminator for my 550.

Can anyone recommend some? I'd like to be able to make shots out to 150 yards with it. Right now, with just the built in IR I'd say it's good to about 75 yards on a dark night. Beyond that you don't really get eye reflections off animals anymore nor can you make out their movement.

I'm looking at the Streamlight TLR-1 IR but it emits 850nm light and I've read that the 550 picks up 800nm light better. Are the Pulsar illuminators a better option? are there other brands I should look at?

Thanks!