• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Night Vision Pulsar RXQ30V or Apex XD38A? Or maybe Hogster?

hafejd30

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2019
    MI
    Long story short I sold my thermal to fund my AIAT. Zero regrets. However now my buddies are buying lights etc to get more into coyote hunting. Also with some recent search and rescue calls for our fire Dept I think I want one on hand again.

Images below are from my Apex of deer at 100 and 600 yards. The blind is at 300 yards.

I’m looking to see for those that have used possibly both or just the RXQ are these even close in image quality?

I don’t need any video recording etc and really like the RXQ compact design vs the bigger Apex.

I’d like to be able to see deer or people out to 1/2 mile ideally. I also like the RXQ being submersible. Not sure if the apex is but if I drop in a swamp etc while on search and rescue it nice to know it can take the water

Any shooting with the unit is likely to not exceed 150-200 yards.

Any help/opinion/pics would be appreciated. The images below are taken with my phone held behind my Apex XD38A for reference. I won’t be using as much as the hog shooting guys do so something similar to my Apex would be all I need as that worked great for my needs.

I’d be looking into a new RXQ (or lightly used) vs a used Apex. Want to keep cost in the $1500-$1900 range if I can
    EB144B48-305C-4F5B-A819-C3B610ABBF86.jpeg
    87717C74-606D-43F0-83E9-338006974773.jpeg
    EA57E2C5-59D4-4B2C-8D44-95682ECAE072.jpeg
    5BD1EB68-EDC3-431C-A334-A8A1964EF672.jpeg
    BB214518-8BAB-4361-BE95-4850D680237D.jpeg

Last edited:
    My Apex was only ever used as a handheld spotter for spotting animals and downed animal recovery. Which would be about 95% of the new thermals use. Occasional search and rescue. Very occasional coyote hunt where it would most likely be a handheld spotter or weapon mounted

I’m also declaring war on the skunks and raccoons around the house so it be used weapon mounted for that as well

Added hogster to the mix. Looks damn impressive for the money. Just not sure about the longevity vs the pulsar units

Both the RXQ and Apex are 5-6 years old ... the RXQ is fixed focus ...

I still have my Apex XD38a, but its my "loaner" ... and spends most of its time at neighbors being his "ratter". There's nothing wrong with the Apex.

The Hogster has the better warranty (4) years, the better image (especially in humidity), includes color reticles, color backgrounds, and adjustable focus. As far as longevity, last year I used Pulsar, Flir, and Bering Optics. The Hogster was the only model I used that after 500+ hours of use never glitched, locked up, or had anything odd happen even once that required it to be reset or restarted. Night Goggles has sold a lot of Hogsters, and customer feedback has confirmed their overall reliability. If you are trying to stay near 2K, you are probably looking at the Hogster-R 25, as it is the least expensive. However, the chart below shows the differences in the 3.

You will be able to see vehicles at well over 1 mile and deer and people well past your desired 1/2 mile. They are relatively the same size, but the way to think about the models starts with the 25 is a good scanner and/or scope and provides comfortable shooting to around 150 yards. The Hogster 35 extends that range to around 225, and the Super Hogster to over 300. If using in real tight cover or want the widest FOV, go with the 25. The 35 is the most universal and the Super Hogster is the best option as a weapon's sight in very open terrain. Contact Tom Austin at Night Goggles, for special Hide pricing. 909-312-5424 X531

bering_comp.gif

Last edited:
    Reactions: RTGUNN and hafejd30
    A few Hogster videos:

25 to 35 comparison in FOV:

Hogster 35 coyote hunt:

Super Hogster:

Last edited:
    Reactions: hafejd30
    @kirsch

Damn that’s an impressive little unit. You really got me thinking now. I’ve seen lots of videos in my searching but finding someone like you who has used them all is exactly what I’m looking for.

Like anything I can swing a better unit by just waiting a bit and saving up if that’s worth it. The 35mm for $2600 is extremely impressive and probably what I should get.

At this point in my research I’m thinking about leaving the RXQ out altogether due to the inability to focus. I still thought the Apex was nice. I picked up my Apex for around $1300 with a QD Mount and sold for the same price. For that price wouldn’t mind another but if I’m going to pay $1800-$2200 for a used one it just makes more sense to jump to the hogster

Reactions: RTGUNN
    @kirschIf I’m going to pay $1800-$2200 for a used one it just makes more sense to jump to the hogster
    I totally agree. I have used a lot of different thermals and in my opinion the Hogster series is the best value currently in the thermal industry. The 35 falls in the sweet spot of range and FOV for a lot of people. It is a solid choice. For a few hundred more than the used thermal, you are getting a better thermal that can be used as a scope and/or a scanner, and comes with a 4 year, transferrable warranty.

Last edited:
    I totally agree. I have used a lot of different thermals and in my opinion the Hogster series is the best value currently in the thermal industry. The 35 falls in the sweet spot of range and FOV for a lot of people. It is a solid choice. For a few hundred more than the used thermal, you are getting a better thermal that can be used as a scope and/or a scanner, and comes with a 4 year, transferrable warranty.

The size is a nice feature of the hogster. For the right price I’d still consider the Apex but the size was one of its downfalls and I used as a monocular more than anything else

I have the RQX30V and would say go with the Hogster, even if it were just for the adjustable focus. When I bought the Core, I told myself I didn't need anything more for a night sight and would never spend over 2k on a thermal. I'm now really considering the Super Hogster or the Pulsar Thermion XQ38.

Reactions: hafejd30
    I have hunted with all three of the units mentioned in the OP. I will tell you what, the APEX is my absolute favorite budget thermal scope, ever. HOWEVER, they are old as wigwamitus noted, discontinued, and I don't believe you can get them serviced. If you buy it and have a problem, then you are likely just plain screwed.

The RQX30V is what I call a barnyard scope. The reason I call it that is because the only person we sold one to (when I was involved with doing that) was a guy who needed to shoot raccoons, fox, coyote, opossums, etc. in his barnyard and didn't want to spend a lot of money. He was really happy with how well it worked for him. He didn't shoot anything over 75 yards and all he needed to be able to do was to tell that it wasn't a chicken or cow. He didn't have barn cats or dogs. Anything not chicken or cow was fair game if it was in his barnyard. Most people we sold them to quickly decided that the scope was inadequate for their hunting needs and bought another scope. I know there are people that will tell you that they love theirs and that they kill hogs just as dead as people with $9k scopes. That is probably true. The problem is that they can't see the hogs nearly as far, can't identify them nearly as far, and can't safely shoot them nearly as far. Nor, can they do it as quickly. Using the RXQ30V always left me with the feeling that I needed to focus, only the scope would not focus. The clarity just isn't there. I simply do not suggest people buy this scope unless 1) they are hunting very short distance, 2) can't afford anything else. I would suggest people by a $500 Wraith digital NV rifle scope and take the rest of the money for the RQX30V and buy a cheap thermal spotter. They can spot hot targets with the thermal spotter and then identify them with the Wraith.

The Hogster is the new kid on the block. It is a nifty little unit. You get a lot more with it than the RQX30V. The downside of the regular Hogsters is that they seem to over pixelate with zoom compared to other brands, but on native magnification, they are outstanding. I would get the 35mm regular or Super Hogster. I would not suggest the 25mm. Lens size makes a difference. With the 35mm Hogster, you are still limited, but it is more than adequate for typical hunting distances and you won't be straining all the time trying to make your eye focus on a really blurry blob like you will with the RQX30V.

Like anything I can swing a better unit by just waiting a bit and saving up if that’s worth it. The 35mm for $2600 is extremely impressive and probably what I should get.

Night Vision Universe has an excellent layaway plan

I just talked to Tom, nice guy; said they are expecting 35s and Super Hogsters shortly after the long holiday. The nightgoggles site shows both on backorder now, they expect that to change with the shipment.
    And on Hide pricing, can confirm; though I didn't ask if I could share.

Have high hopes. The guy sitting next to me will be running a Mk3 60 which I have used and know is awesome, but I also know what he paid for it... and he can't shoot for shit.

Have high hopes. The guy sitting next to me will be running a Mk3 60 which I have used and know is awesome, but I also know what he paid for it... and he can't shoot for shit.

ya, I know plenty of guys that can’t shoot for shit and sometimes I’m in that crowd too, but we all enjoy participating and kibitzing over a beer. ;)

I also talked with Tom and he comes down a little on the scope and battery if purchased at the same time, but I would think he would offer the same to a motivated purchaser with CC in hand?

You going with the 35 or the Super?

I went 35 because South Texas is lots of scrub and obstruction, and seldom a 200+ yard shot on predators. We do lots of calling, usually a side-by-side driven under NODs, lots of shoot-n-move.

Reactions: 7P's