• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Put a deposit down on my first "big boy" gun!

1911_Chad

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Well, I've been casually searching around for a nice, all-around centerfire rifle for the past couple years, but have never brought myself to the point of buying anything. That changed last week when I got an e-mail from Bud's Gun Shop saying that the 24" Remington 5R Mil-Spec was back in stock. I wanted to buy it that very moment, but didn't because I don't like to jump on big purchases like that immediately. After I thought about it for a couple days, I went to their website to purchase, but it was already out of stock again! That totally bummed me out, but, thankfully, I got another "back in stock" e-mail yesterday, and I didn't waste any time. I made an offer on the gun that was a little lower than what they had advertised, they accepted, and I put the gun on layaway with half of the price of the gun down as a deposit. The rest of the payment is due within 90 days, but during that time there's a 3 paycheck month, my birthday, and I'm sure my parents will be asking for some kind of gift to give me for Christmas. If I don't pay it off myself in the next couple of months, I don't see how bad waiting until December can be! I'm excited! :cool:

I started with a 5r it was an awesome rifle. Should have kept that one, it shot submoa from the factory. They are great shooters.

I live maybe an 1.5hrs from them here in KY, need me run by and make sure it shoots for you?

Congrats on the buy!

Congrat's on your purchase. They are excellent shooters. Enjoy, and hope your 'wait' isn't too long. LOL!

You're going to like that rifle. I have two of them, a .308 and a 300 Win Mag. Both of them are 1/2 minute guns with handloads.

Thanks everyone! Now searching for all the goodies begins!

I live maybe an 1.5hrs from them here in KY, need me run by and make sure it shoots for you?

Congrats on the buy!

Maybe it would be a good idea just to make sure I'm not getting a lemon :p

Glad to have you in the shooting fraternity!

Let us know what your second or third job is going to be to support your new hobby.

"Hello, my name is Chad and I'm a gun junky."

Well done!! Welcome to the addiction. Get familiar with the term "rifle ADD"... :D

Glad to have you in the shooting fraternity!

Let us know what your second or third job is going to be to support your new hobby.

"Hello, my name is Chad and I'm a gun junky."

I wish I could find another job to supplement the current salary. I've just been depending on promotions and overtime during our busy season lol

Congrats. You'll need a good cheap scope with mount (SWFA SS fixed 10X or Vortex Viper PST), bipod (Harris or Atlas), rear bag and, of course lots of ammo. Most of these can be picked up at a discount in the For Sale section here (scopes and mounts). Buy bulk ammo online and avoid sales tax. Good Luck. Any questions you have can usually be answered here in an hour or two!!!

Congrats. You'll need a good cheap scope with mount (SWFA SS fixed 10X or Vortex Viper PST), bipod (Harris or Atlas), rear bag and, of course lots of ammo. Most of these can be picked up at a discount in the For Sale section here (scopes and mounts). Buy bulk ammo online and avoid sales tax. Good Luck. Any questions you have can usually be answered here in an hour or two!!!

Oh, believe me, I've already got the necessary goody list built up from the months of looking around for what I want! I'm not new to shooting by any stretch, and I'm a buy once, cry once consumer, so I see myself buying quality stuff the first time around.

My list so far is as follows:

-Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 with FFP (I'd really like a Bushnell 3.5-21x50 HDMR with G2 reticle, but that's a bit out of my price range)
-Seekins 20 MOA one-piece base
-Seekins rings
-A bipod (I haven't decided on Harris or Atlas, but if I drop the coin on Atlas, I'll replace the two sling swivel studs on the fore-end of the stock with a Seekins SRS picatinny)

I'll planning on taking the gun to a local gunsmith to open up the mounting spots on the receiver to accept 8-40 mounting screws. The guy is a master Remington gunsmith and has been in the business for like 50 years. I'll ask him what all he can do for me when I take one of my great grandmother's revolvers in for repair in the next few days.

Trigger work can wait until I find out what the factory one is like, and the tactical bolt knob, cerakoting, and DBM bottom metal can wait until I get more time sending lead down range and money permits. I'd really like to get that Badger M5 setup!

Last edited:
I used to have one, great shooter. One of the best bang for the buck I've ever had. Out of the box I mounted my scope and went shooting, shot 3/4 MOA with FGMM I could probably have done better if I kept it longer. I kept everything bone stock and shot off of my ruck so I could get better glass.

I would spend the money on having trigger work done over having the scope bases opened up for larger screws. You will immediately notice a lighter trigger pull where the scope base screws you won't notice. My smith tuned my remington trigger for 50 bucks and it was nice and crisp.

Oh, believe me, I've already got the necessary goody list built up from the months of looking around for what I want! I'm not new to shooting by any stretch, and I'm a buy once, cry once consumer, so I see myself buying quality stuff the first time around.

My list so far is as follows:

-Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 with FFP (I'd really like a Bushnell 3.5-21x50 HDMR with G2 reticle, but that's a bit out of my price range)
-Seekins 20 MOA one-piece base
-Seekins rings
-A bipod (I haven't decided on Harris or Atlas, but if I drop the coin on Atlas, I'll replace the two sling swivel studs on the fore-end of the stock with a Seekins SRS picatinny)

I'll planning on taking the gun to a local gunsmith to open up the mounting spots on the receiver to accept 8-40 mounting screws. The guy is a master Remington gunsmith and has been in the business for like 50 years. I'll ask him what all he can do for me when I take one of my great grandmother's revolvers in for repair in the next few days.

Trigger work can wait until I find out what the factory one is like, and the tactical bolt knob, cerakoting, and DBM bottom metal can wait until I get more time sending lead down range and money permits. I'd really like to get that Badger M5 setup!

Don't goof around with it until you have shot it for a while. You need to have a performance baseline before you can tell if any one mod is an improvement or not. People do the same thing with brand new high performance cars. They spend more money, have more problems and end up with a slower, less reliable car.

Your choices are all very solid. I think you'll be off to a great start! Would recommend the Atlas over the Harris, if you can afford it. Well worth the extra coin!!!

Ask Lowlight if this would be a better choice in every conceivable way @ $900 +/_ 3.7% with free shipping :

Black Bear Sporting Goods - Hunting, Archery, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Boating, & more.

BURRIS # 201040
opplanet-burris-4-20-50mm-illum-riflescope-201040.jpg

I'd be all over it before a VORTEX PST or any da-da-damn SWFA SS glass.

Yeah, I know it's virgin territory... BUTT!!! I'd figure the odds and jump on the BURRIS.

Again, go ask Frank.

Best to you.