• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Putting down the family dog...

Your buddy isn't 'ol yeller. He deserves better than that, don't be a monster.

Come on Branden, I mean damn. There is no one answer fits all in this kind of situatuon. A choice here is a deeply emotional and personal decision. One way or the other doesn't make you either a monster or a puss. Judging a choice of this gravity from a pedestal does make you short sighted.

Come on Branden, I mean damn. There is no one answer fits all in this kind of situatuon. A choice here is a deeply emotional and personal decision. One way or the other doesn't make you either a monster or a puss. Judging a choice of this gravity from a pedestal does make you short sighted.
I'm judging from my perspective, not from a pedestal. How am I judging from a pedestal?

Branden

Not going to start an argument, we have both been on here a long time and I respect your views on most everything. Fallacy of the internet. If you are somebody that knew me and saw the exalted place in my life my animals hold you wouldn't have that view in my case. Part of the indifference of a web page. No personal offense toward you intended and maybe you the same.

She thinks I'm an absolute monster for even suggesting this.
You're a good man and a saint who cares deeply for that dog. There is nothing wrong with putting him down yourself. No strangers around, asleep at peace, then it's over.

Edit: If your wife is going to be truly upset with you, you're going to have to factor that in. If she is, I'd have a vet come to the house. But you're certainly not a monster for contemplating that and doing what you think is best.

Last edited:
The last month our poor girl went down hill. She couldn't sleep anymore and wined and whimper all night so my wife decided it was time.

My take on it, it's a huge shit sandwich and there is no good answer.

Schatz never liked car rides, strangers or the vet so I couldn't imagine making her suffer a 2 hour car ride. I've lived in the country and have put many animals down, but personal pets are hard.

As I tried explaining to my wife I'd rather suffer then force our Schatzie girl to suffer traveling. I owed her that much at least. She passed instantly and suffers no more. My wife understood this and helped me through the process and tears after.

We did what we felt was best for our dog, not ourselves.