• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PVA Status Updates: Hancock Rifle & NUCLEUS Barreled Action

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went with .267 works for me. I wouldn't go .268 or .269
Just me. Here's a 95g SMK in Lapua brass, not neck turned either
You can decide what you want.
fullsizeoutput_795.jpeg

Congratulations Jeremy on the new young-un. Like someones else said, your life will never be the same.
Give the Missus a big Hide hug for us.

She got a good laugh out of this one and thought it was super nice everyone is such a tightly knit group!

It was a girl and I'm still super happy with that!

Was part of the group that got an email on 4/23 saying would ship in 2-3 weeks. Has anyone got their order from that group?
Nope. Not even a tracking number.

@Random_Scrub @BLDTYLRY
I just got back from maternity leave so I apologize for the delay. Please email me at [email protected] and I will get you squared away.

I'm working on getting an update out this week once I get caught up with emails and brought back up to speed on everything. Looks like a lot went on while i was gone.

It might hurt him in the short term. But as soon as everyone see's how well the JHR's shoot
and soon need a barrel, some will reorder a barrel, by then Josh should be caught up and
have some of the growing pains out of the way. He has a big enough loyal base that keeps
him plenty busy. I heard he's working on something else, keep tuned in...

Reactions: Last Chance
I have 100 rounds through my JHR now, and I'm very happy with it. I took it out today and shot some groups with factory Hornady ELD-M ammo (both 120gr and 140gr - I didn't see a noticeable difference in accuracy between the two).

These are 5-shot groups at 100 yards and pretty much all of them have flyers so they're more a reflection on my capabilities than the rifle's, though the extreme flyer that opened the one group to almost 3 inches was due to the guy next to me shooting off his 300 win mag right as my trigger broke (always nice to have a scape goat lol). Had I shot 3 round groups, all of these would have been a half inch or better.

I calculated the average of these groups (that one called flyer excluded) to be just under 0.75 MOA, and I'm sure the rifle is capable of 0.5 MOA or better. Even after shooting strings and heating up the barrel quite a bit (couldn't even stand to touch it longer than a second or two), it just keeps on truckin'.

Attachments

• IMG_3820.jpg
    IMG_3820.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_3826.JPG
    IMG_3826.JPG
    349.4 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_3827.JPG
    IMG_3827.JPG
    308.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_3828.JPG
    IMG_3828.JPG
    313.6 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_3829.JPG
    IMG_3829.JPG
    305.1 KB · Views: 153
I have 100 rounds through my JHR now, and I'm very happy with it. I took it out today and shot some groups with factory Hornady ELD-M ammo (both 120gr and 140gr - I didn't see a noticeable difference in accuracy between the two).

These are 5-shot groups at 100 yards and pretty much all of them have flyers so they're more a reflection on my capabilities than the rifle's, though the extreme flyer that opened the one group to almost 3 inches was due to the guy next to me shooting off his 300 win mag right as my trigger broke (always nice to have a scape goat lol). Had I shot 3 round groups, all of these would have been a half inch or better.

I calculated the average of these groups (that one called flyer excluded) to be just under 0.75 MOA, and I'm sure the rifle is capable of 0.5 MOA or better. Even after shooting strings and heating up the barrel quite a bit (couldn't even stand to touch it longer than a second or two), it just keeps on truckin'.

You called a flyer in every single group?? The way we confirm accuracy around here is we shoot 5 or 6 five shot groups then calculate the avg... Im coming up with 1.32" avg across those 4 groups. If youre catching that flyer in every group its typically not the shooter, its something else in my testing. I would try different ammo or work up some handloads for confirmation. Just trying to help you out;)

Reactions: 10ring1
@padom The only flyer I actually called was the one that I mentioned which was due to me flinching when that 300WM went off next to me. But looking at the groups that I'm shooting there are usually 3-4 in a very tight group and one or two that significantly opens up the group - usually my 4th or 5th shot. Could be the ammo, or something else, but I'm more inclined to believe it's me getting excited and not focusing and throwing the shot. ? Though I like that you gave me the benefit of the doubt and blamed the ammo. ?

And yes, including that called flyer the average is much larger, but as I mentioned I excluded that from my above average. Not necessarily to make myself feel better (though it does... ?) but for the purposes of this forum it doesn't accurately reflect the quality of the rifle, it's just me jumping at loud noises.

At any rate, I do plan on working up some hand loads, I just don't have reloading equipment for 6.5CM yet.

@Sgt. Hulka Pretty sure I’ve made that exact same face on more than a few occasions ?

I can usually feel when I pull a shot too (at least i think i can lol) and except for the one obvious flyer all those shots “felt” good to me. I’d blame the ammo but it’s pretty consistent that I’ll get a good 3-4 shot group with all of them touching, then open up the group with the next shot, so I suspect I’m getting distracted by the hole in the paper and not paying enough attention to my sight picture. Next time I go to the range I think I’ll try shooting one round at each bullseye and check for consistent shot placement.

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
I’ve been a 3/4- 1 MOA shooter all my life.

55 rounds through the JHR and this is what I’m seeing .

Now obviously the .17 MOA group was just pure luck.

But of the 55 rounds I’m consistently seeing .4-.6 MOA groups which I’ve never been able to consistently produce.

Hopefully this is some hope/encouragement for those paitiently waiting. I know I was getting frustrated waiting, but all those frustrations are now gone.
75584F6A-1237-42B5-B619-BDE20C3A6FD6.jpeg
2E1403B5-D93B-4819-8DA7-96E54EF69654.jpeg

I went to the range for the last two days...Indoor 100yd...I shot several groups...Some 7-8 rounds...All of the groups out of the JHR grouped well under 1 MOA, with most around .5 MOA...Very consistent with factory Hornady ELDM 140 gr. I love this rifle...Looking forward to my Geiselle 2-stage trigger...
2019-05-25 15.15.15 - Copy.jpg
2019-05-30 15.15.40.jpg2019-05-30 15.16.41.jpgtarget_image (2).jpg

Reactions: wbbh and man32ahan
It appears this thread is running out of steam??? Maybe everyone is 'happy'??? Well, my, hopefully fully functional, Geiselle Super 700 trigger is on its way home to me...Can't wait to install it...Also, shot approximately 80 rounds of Hornady factory ammo without a 'light Strike'...I'm happy...

Reactions: jonesturf
It appears this thread is running out of steam??? Maybe everyone is 'happy'??? Well, my, hopefully fully functional, Geiselle Super 700 trigger is on its way home to me...Can't wait to install it...Also, shot approximately 80 rounds of Hornady factory ammo without a 'light Strike'...I'm happy...
I finally got mine. Shoots great, got a break from PVA in 3 days I am happy.

I finally got mine. Shoots great, got a break from PVA in 3 days I am happy.
I'm still trying to figure out how to 'time' the break that came on mine...It keeps coming loose and I guess I'm not strong enough to tighten it enough by hand...Lol (I'm old) I love the Jet Blast MB, but my Area 419 MB on my Ruger Precision Rifle times much easier...With no 'gaps'...

It keeps coming loose and I guess I'm not strong enough to tighten it enough by hand...Lol (I'm old)

I had mine hand-tightened too and it came loose after 60-70 rounds. Josh put a short YouTube video up showing off the Jet Blast and it didn't look like he put a ton of effort into tightening it up before he was "ready to shoot", maybe I'm doing it wrong. I snugged it up with a wrench yesterday, hopefully that keeps it on there.

The way I do it is different. I treat it almost like its not self timing. I get it to about 10 degrees short of where I want it to be and then back the collar up to the shoulder. Then I use a wrench, crescent wrench will do, and grab the flats and treat it like I'm torquing a bolt until its square. If it doesn't line up or isn't tight enough try it again until you get it tight enough and square enough.

Reactions: heffsdm
The way I do it is different. I treat it almost like its not self timing. I get it to about 10 degrees short of where I want it to be and then back the collar up to the shoulder. Then I use a wrench, crescent wrench will do, and grab the flats and treat it like I'm torquing a bolt until its square. If it doesn't line up or isn't tight enough try it again until you get it tight enough and square enough.

That how I time all self timing brakes except the area 419.

Same here. I was initially having trouble with the PVA JB coming loose. I’m used to running 419 and heathen self timing brakes.

I tightened the PVA JB by hand but didn’t quite square it up. Then tightened with a wrench until it squared up. Took a few times like Jeremy was describing but so far it has not came loose

The 'flats' ??? Both of them, the collar AND the muzzle brake??? I think I am doing something similar...Thanks for the information from both of you...:)

Sorry, I meant the flats on the brake side. Not the nut. I just use the nut to back it into the shoulder during alignment and then I "wrench" it down (carefully) using the flats on the brake itself until it's tight.

.Looking forward to my Geissele 2-stage trigger...

I received my Geissele Super 700 trigger back from Geissele today...I swapped out the Timney 510 trigger that came with my PVA, JHR... This time it worked flawlessly!!! It is, of course, configured as a two-stage trigger...It can be configured to a total pull weight between 12 oz. to 3.5 lbs... I reduced the overall pull weight to about 2 lbs...It is hard to measure, but I think the 2nd stage is now around 12 oz... VERY crisp break with no creep in the second stage...Very little take up after the break...Trigger weight, second stage weight, and trigger overtravel all adjustable...I've been corresponding with Justin at Geissele and he has been great!!! I'm going to love this trigger...:) There is also a "Second Stage Engagement Screw (adjusts the second stage SEAR engagement)...Perhaps this is the 'adjustment' Geissele made to 'make' the trigger work with my Nucleus action? It looks like it was NOT in the 'factory' position...Just a guess... I didn't mess with it!!! Lol

Last edited:
After waiting 16-mos she's finally come home. Nucleus Barreled Action w/ BARLOC. 26" 6.5 Creedmoor 8-Twist Heavy Palma contour, Manners PRS2 w/ DBM Mini Chassis, TriggerTech Diamond Pro Curve, ARC M10 Rings, Vortex Razor Gen2 4-27x56 EBR2C. Will need to inlet the stock some as the last 2" of the barrel closest to the action is touching the barrel channel.

Oldest boy is graduating HS tomorrow so this weekend is all about him. Next week is when I'll get to test this system out.

48064964948_3c9987c16c_b.jpg

After waiting 16-mos she's finally come home. Nucleus Barreled Action w/ BARLOC. 26" 6.5 Creedmoor 8-Twist Heavy Palma contour, Manners PRS2 w/ DBM Mini Chassis, TriggerTech Diamond Pro Curve, ARC M10 Rings, Vortex Razor Gen2 4-27x56 EBR2C. Will need to inlet the stock some as the last 2" of the barrel closest to the action is touching the barrel channel.

Oldest boy is graduating HS tomorrow so this weekend is all about him. Next week is when I'll get to test this system out.

48064964948_3c9987c16c_b.jpg
Wow, looks great. We look forward to your range reports. Enjoy the family-focus weekend!!

Well, my, hopefully fully functional, Geiselle Super 700 trigger is on its way home to me...Can't wait to install it...Also, shot approximately 80 rounds of Hornady factory ammo without a 'light Strike'...I'm happy...

Over 150 rounds fired, no FFF! :) Installed the Geissele Super 700 trigger and adjusted it to where I like it...Let's just say it is a very, very, light trigger now...(No, I don't plan on carrying the rifle with a round in the chamber...:) Feels great to me...JMHO I will hit the range Monday and test it out...Then, the wide open spaces...:)
2019-05-25 15.15.15.jpg

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
Is anybody else’s JHRs shooting very fast over factory stated ammo velocities?

6mm creed 108 Eldm @2960 FPS

I’m shooting ~3200fps right now.
Will the barrel slow down with more rounds through it or do I have a unicorn?

Two things,
The Hornady rounds when they first came out were very long, did you measure them?
They could be jamming and causing a little more pressure.
What are you measuring your velocities with?

Two things,
The Hornady rounds when they first came out were very long, did you measure them?
They could be jamming and causing a little more pressure.
What are you measuring your velocities with?
They don’t seem to be long or jamming.

Velocity is calculate on my dope to 800+ yards. Based on the amount of clicks at known distances.

The scope does track true so that’s not the issue.

You might want to confirm zero and make sure you don’t have a 30 mph wind blowing up your backside.

• Haha
Reactions: Nathan11B
Hi, any estimate on when you will be taking JH orders again?

Thanks

Anyone who recently received their JHR willing to say what order number they were? Trying to decide if I should go ahead and make another firearm purchase, or if I should hold off because my JHR number is coming up.

Reactions: dustinb50
Anyone who recently received their JHR willing to say what order number they were? Trying to decide if I should go ahead and make another firearm purchase, or if I should hold off because my JHR number is coming up.
I would like to know the same as I am thinking about doing the same.

Order number doesn’t really mean anything. Your number may be 300 after the last guy that received a JHR, but you may be next in line. PVA’s order numbers are sequential for all orders, rifles, barrels, brakes, tripods, etc. So, looking at the last guys order number has no real bearing on where you stand in line.

Only BigHorn. Just got tracking for 2 barrels i ordered back in beginning of Feb. this year for the Nucleus/Archimedes. I wonder if this is the cause of Nucleus BA delays. ARC states they have Nuke actions ready to ship...dunno why Nuke BA's are taking so long.

I don't even have an action for those barrels. Still waiting on my Nucleus BA, which i don't even know if it'll have the Shouldered Barloc or Not. I got an email stating that BA won't come with the Barloc any longer, but one poster above who just got his BA came with the Barloc. Also contacted PVA and asked them to make these 2 barrels without the Barloc cut (I had originally ordered it with shouldered barloc cut). But the email ship notification shows it's a "BAR_PF_NUC" so i'm confused.

For those of you still waiting on your John Hancock, be patient. It’s worth the wait. I’m getting more and more giggles the more I shoot it. It just gets better and better. This rifle will flat shoot.
Shot this 5-shot group about three hours ago at 100 yards. 140 gr ELD-M, 42.2 gr of H4350, Hornady Brass and BR-2 primers...with a Magnetospeed hanging on the barrel.

ZR3d9PXl.jpg

Attachments

• 644E280E-30BF-4596-B859-5CDF6C3634BF.jpeg
    644E280E-30BF-4596-B859-5CDF6C3634BF.jpeg
    412.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.