• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Pvs 14 on a day scope shooting 1000yrds. Videos!

Surgeon_Shooter

Sure Shot Night Vision
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 2, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Alright some of you heard my story of shooting 1000yrds with this setup. Some believed me some didnt. Here it is! Me and a good friend had fun tonight out playing with some goodies. We verified the exact 1000yrd range today in the daylight and came back way after dark to ensure total darkness. I don't have a rail to mount a laser or illuminator yet so we set up a neat little rig lol!

I took several videos of the night. My camera was dead so I had to use my phone, it's a iPhone 4 and works pretty well for what it is. We mounted a friends PEQ 15 to a window mount on the truck to illuminate the target. 7 shots were fired and 5 impacted. One impacted the leg of my target but we heard the smack. It could be counted as a miss also. My little sling shot rifle don't do much damage at 1000 to the steel so you have to listen hard for the little smack at the end. I will post a video of a miss to compare with the hit so you can tell. Sorry for the videos, we were getting eaten alive by skeeters and were sweating like a whore in church! Haha Louisiana sucks in August! Here's the action.

The setup:
    Night shooting - YouTube

The view through the scope on 20x:
    Pvs 14 on day scope - YouTube

Hit:
    Pvs 14 night shooting @ 1000yrds - YouTube

Hit:
    Pvs 14 night shooting @ 1000yrds - YouTube

Miss:
    Miss! - YouTube

Flir ps32 view of the rifle after a few shots:
    Flir ps32 - YouTube

Demonstrating the PEQ:
    PEQ 15 laser - YouTube

The target with my buddy's hand for size reference. The hits are faint but there are 4 on target with one on the leg.
    B813DF0A-A22F-453B-B8DA-B9555BAB0E01-2238-00000205942827FD.jpg

I hope you enjoy the videos half as much as we enjoyed making them! I promise you the image is better in person than through this iPhone but even through the phone it's pretty good for what it is.

Jay

Last edited:
    Nice job surgeon. I will say your phone is capable if much better images through the Pvs-14 but it may need to be a still image. Thanks for the videos.

Thanks kill switch. I tried taking still images but it didnt work very well. It seemed more grainy for some reason.

Yes sir but its a dead end and all gates to the property are locked. Safe as can be.

Very interesting. Do you mind sharing generally whereabouts in LA? It has nothing to do with the shot, but both my wife and I have lived within about 12 miles of the I-10 corridor between the Pearl and the Sabine for nearly 70 years combined....NO, BR, Broussard, Abbevile, LC.... before moving to the Great State of Texas 11 years ago. That is like 95+ years our combined age, and we mostly hang out with slightly
    older folks in their 50's.

Last edited:
    I'm from north east LA. I have lived in the NO area before.

Thanks Camille! It was a blast making them.

Nice job!! Those videos have inspired me, maybe we will use a similar set up at one of the competitions we sponsor instead of the standard CLIP-ON's that we usually use. A PVS-14 and weapon mount is more obtainable for most people and some might appreciate seeing it's capabilities.

He's just doing what us clip on poor trailer park rich folk been doing for years with a pvs14. It's not a secret and it works terrific. I'm glad he made some believers out of some. Kinda like Jerry reed... We gonna do what they say can't be done...

there still exists a TTP for using the pvs14 on the m40/unertl weapon system. That was from the very late 90'. Here's an excerpt.

"2. Fire the M40 Sniper Rifle with the Unertl scope and PVS-14.

Procedure. Mount the Unertl scope to the rifle. Cut a 7-inch piece of riggers tape lengthwise. Wrap it around the focus ring of the PVS-14, making sure you don’t tape the focus ring to the body of the PVS-14. Turn the device on and focus at long range. Slide the focus ring into the ocular lens of the Unertl scope until it fits snugly. Readjust focus to ensure clarity.

Techniques. Small turns of the PVS-14 left and right will make focus adjustments.

Common Errors. Not adjusting proper eye relief for attaining good sight picture and avoiding scope bite."

Last edited:
    Surgeon,

Thanks for your posting. I am counting between 4-4.5 seconds between click and return impact sound reception from your vid. Using round numbers.....at 3000 FPS MV and 1000y, that is 1 second projectile time to target. At nominal 1000 FPS sound velocity on the return for easy math, that is another 3 seconds, which correlates well with the qualitative assessment of the vid. In an ideal world, the hit would be visible, but that has some practicality limitations at such extended range with high artificial ilumination intensity.

Do you mind sharing which cartridge that you were firing? You no doubt have chrono data on the round if you are making hits at 1000y; please share.

Thanks, John

Yes sir I don't mind sharing the load.

I shoot a surgeon action, 22" 11.25 twist bartlein, mc millan A-5,jewel @ 1lb and a 5-25x56 S&B. the load I have loaded is, lapua brass, cci br primer, 44.5grns of varget, 175 smk seated to a overall length of 2.807". That's .003 off the lands. The bullet is traveling at about 2690 fps. I don't use a chrono, yea I know I'm dumb blah blah. I load and shoot to several ranges and use ballistic AE on my I phone and play with the fps until the dope matches. It works pretty good!

I am a bit older and also from the South, so the terms sir and ma'am are used on a regular basis; your politeness is well regarded.

Those specs are all in the range of "standard" 7.62x51 handloads. I guess that I was under the impression that you were running something "trick" like 6.5-284 or otherwise?

Just out of curiosity, how do you know the MV if you don't use a chrono?

I have a ballistics app on my iPhone, but to be perfectly candid am too ornery to learn how to use it with limited time. Maybe you can give some start up detail shortcuts? I typically just do the math in my head.

Yes sir but its a dead end and all gates to the property are locked. Safe as can be.

Ha ha... was just wondering if I had to pop a flare before driving down a dirt road in your neck of the woods :)

Once again, great videos. Hopefully I'll bump into you at Badlands at some point.

I am a bit older and also from the South, so the terms sir and ma'am are used on a regular basis; your politeness is well regarded.

Those specs are all in the range of "standard" 7.62x51 handloads. I guess that I was under the impression that you were running something "trick" like 6.5-284 or otherwise?

Just out of curiosity, how do you know the MV if you don't use a chrono?

I have a ballistics app on my iPhone, but to be perfectly candid am too ornery to learn how to use it with limited time. Maybe you can give some start up detail shortcuts? I typically just do the math in my head.

I usually put in what bullet and a guess on the fps and all the weather from my kestrel in and hit calculate. I then shoot my rifle at a couple distances like 400 and 600 and either adjust the fps up or down until it makes the chart match the actual dope. I should probly get a chrono but hey, I hit a lot of steel like this! Lol

I am very respectful and always will be. When I travel up north and call a waitress ma'am they get pissed and assume I'm calling them old! Haha then I ask for sweet tea and really confuse them. They don't know what that is!

Ha ha... was just wondering if I had to pop a flare before driving down a dirt road in your neck of the woods :)

Once again, great videos. Hopefully I'll bump into you at Badlands at some point.
    I couldn't help but laugh at this! Haha I got a mental picture of a guy driving slow being very nervous holding a ir glow stick out the window! Lol

Ill be taking a class over at badlands one day for sure. I see your in dfw, I have several in laws in the area and I'm over there very often. Next time I'm in the area ill bother you.

Murderman, chronos don't do anything for you that a ballistic program doesn't. Chronos lie plain and simple unless of coarse you are privy to a dopler radar model. It just gets you in the ballpark and real world dope is confirmed by shooting the gun.

to get a velocity with a ballistic program you must input good data first I.e. b.c., scope height above bore, twist, yada yada. Fire at a few known distances like 500-600-800 and confirm your needed dope for center hits. Plug in the needed dope for a trajectory validation and wha la. Use density altitude inputs from there to adjust your dope accordingly as long as your muzzle velocity stays the same. Easy peesy.

it looks like this on shooter app.
    DE61596A-6637-4B64-BC2F-02F9EC312E16-20593-0000023D4BC4EDEC.jpg

Last edited:
    I have something called Ballistic AE that was recommended by a friend, but really haven't had much chance to play with it...or shoot for that matter.

The only time that I have shot during the day in the past probably two years was this last Saturday. Otherwise, it has been exclusively at night and with max range of 300y. From 0-300, the holdover is within a mil-rad for my 6.8 SBR, so I have gotten lazy the past few years.