• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PWS MK114

Re: PWS MK114

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It didn't rain, but it was very overcast all day today... what a GREAT day shooting. The MK114 runs and runs and runs. </div></div>

A top 3 finish is always a great day
grin.gif

OK...well...a last place finish is a great day too as long as I'm shooting
cool.gif

After following your excellent posts of your results with your PWS rifle I picked up my MK116 in 300BLK yesterday.I hope to get it out this weekend if the ammo comes for it, haven't got set up to reload for 300BLK yet. So far it looks to be everything that PWS rifles have been described to be in this topic. Very high quality and light weight but it has got to have a new trigger put in it ASAP probably a Geissele SS-E. This is my first PWS and first 300BLK so we'll see how it goes.

Chris

CMS,

I am definitely interested to see your results and thoughts on the MK116 in 300 BLK.

Please feel free to add pictures, thoughts, impressions, etc. into this thread... the more information gathered, the better.

If I can do anything, or answer any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me...

v/r

DMack

DMack,

Thanks for posting. When I started reading this thread I had to keep reading it to the end. I was looking at piston uppers and might have to get one of these.

Great post. Thanks to everyone who added excellent info as well.

Just a heads up on my MK114 I was ripping off some rounds to test a 200 rd drum and I when I'd run dry it would lock back so hard that I dang near couldn't get it to release. I also noticed that the bolt was too far forward to catch a round on a new mag.
I contacted Stacey and he knew that the little plug in the rear of the buffer spring had come loose and wedged itself in the spring. Sure enough, he had me place it properly in the spring and "seat" the piece by pulling the action back slowly. He said it is very rare, and I was just happy it was something easy.
Just an FYI.

Great info... and thank you for posting that. I have not run into that particular issue yet, but if I hear of it, I can now pass that on.

My MK114 is about to take a back seat to the MK110 and MK107. Going to be doing some serious SBR / Suppressor testing...

The MK114 of mine just runs. I have it loaned out right now... and they really, really like it.

Cheers!

DMack,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the PWS MK1 carbines. I picked up a demo model a last summer for a good price and am really happy with it. It's an early MK 116.

Looking forward to hearing more about your experience with the other PWS variants...

Well after reading through this entire thread there seems to be gaping hole developing in my life, and apparently I need a Mk114 to fill it.

In FDE

I have a buddy of mine, that has a 16 inch LWRCi and now, he has a MK116 to directly compare the two... he will be chiming in very soon.

JP... I can assure you, they are fantastic AR's. Shoot one, buy one.

Cheers!

DMack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a buddy of mine, that has a 16 inch LWRCi and now, he has a MK116 to directly compare the two... he will be chiming in very soon.

JP... I can assure you, they are fantastic AR's. Shoot one, buy one.

Cheers!

DMack </div></div>

It shall be so

As an aside, I've seen rumors while wandering the internet that PWS is supposedly working on a an extended rail system for the MK1 rifles. Can anybody verify this? The more I read about this rifle system that is probably the only thing I would prefer over the current configuration.

JP,

I can verify that. They are making rail sections that are longer than the original for the MK1 series rifles. Give them a call and check on availability.

Still none for the MK2 series though...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
639-pws4.jpg
</div></div>

Is that light a Fenix? Looks like the TK series.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dirty D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Is that light a Fenix? Looks like the TK series. </div></div>

Yup...TK11

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D.A.T.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does it shoot at distance? </div></div>

I'll be running the HRT today and I'll take the 114 along for some mag dumps and I'll let you know. Not expecting spectacilar results with an EOTech though. If I can hit at 500 with it I'll be more than happy. Should be getting a 1-4 or 1-6X soon.

I was able to get a few shots at 500 seated in the back of my truck using the tailgate as a rest and I didn't miss once. It took me 2 shots to find the proper hold but once found it was on point. I had a 3x magnifier on the EOTech that was covered in crud so given the poor quility glass to begin with I was pretty amazed that I was hitting repeatedly...could hardly make out the target. I did a few rapid fire mag dumps at 50-100 and got some video but for some reason when I transfer the video's from my phone there's no sound. Too bad because the speed at which you can sling lead with it is impressive.

How do you think these shoot at distance vs POF or LWRC that are known for great accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D.A.T.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you think these shoot at distance vs POF or LWRC that are known for great accuracy. </div></div>Couldn't say. Closest I've owned to either is the POF upper/lower on my GAP10. I was shooting crap ammo today and I was pretty surprised to hit easily at 500 given my carbine experience is limited only to the few hundred rounds I've put through this thing. Given what it can do at 100 I think with a better optic it would be on par with just about anything else. Hell I was shooting sub-moa with an EOTech.

That said, what sold me on this was the beating I witnessed one taking in DMack's hands. His 114 was passed around like a cheap whore. They're very dirt tolerant and I'm tired of cleaning autos so I wanted something that could take abuse. If I can get minute-of-man at 500-600 I'm happy and initial impressions is that it will exceed that. I wasn't looking for precision fire out of a 14" barrel but I'd call it pretty precise for what it is.

I have not shot the MK114. That being said, I have shot the POF P416 in 11.5" and the MK112 side by side. At 100 yds I really didnt notice any real difference (group wise). The POF has a free floating bbl and the PWS does not. At real distance I would give the edge to the POF. As the SBR's I was testing were for entry purposes I did not shoot beyond 100 yds.

My MK114 is completely consistent out to 600 yards with MK262 and prints 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards with 69 Grain Match. I have found that shooting military style pop up targets with 55 grain American Eagle "black box" ammo, out to 600 is almost boring.

The MK110 with MK262 will ring steel at 500 yards with zero issues... almost to the point it's boring.

Accuracy with the PWS rifles is not a problem. Even shooting from a sling, has no issues.

The only thing I had to train myself with is my MK214 shooting prone from the bipod. I just can't load into it like I would a traditional rifle.

BA and I will be doing some video very soon... stand by.

DMack, I just wanted to say THANK YOU for a great review. I am new to the world of ARs and your insight has helped me stay afloat in the vast sea of conflicting info/opinions on the web. I am proud to say I ordered my first rifle, the PWS mk116 with the Geissele SSA, yesterday! Thanks for making my decision much easier.

Just snagged a mk114 off Gunbroker. Stoked to drop a new trigger in it and run it head to head against my XCR. Great info in this thread, much obliged.

I think that's actually a Specialized Tactical Systems Titan, which uses the PWS piston system.

http://www.specializedtactical.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: apw100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just noticed that Chris Kyle is carrying a PWS MK114 in this photo from his book "American Sniper".

Chris-Kyle.jpg
</div></div>

Hello all, this is techincally my first post and most likely I wont post too often. I have followed Dmack reviews of the PWS MK series and have, like others, been thoroughly impressed with his attention to detail and unbiased review. Often times the only reviews we receive are from gun magazines which only test guns with a couple hundred rounds and the guns featured are always "great". I felt that since Dmack took so much time to post the review and answer countless questions from myself and others its only right to post my first impressions of the MK 116 upper that I bought.

When I first received my upper receiver I could not get over how light it is. In fact I still can not get over how light the upper is. I placed it on a custom built lower that has the PWS buffer tube and a SSA-E trigger. The lower is from Palmetto state armory for those of you who appreciate detail. To this date I have only put 600 rounds through this weapon and have not and probably wont run it as hard as Dmack has. I will bring it to a couple rifle courses this year and I will be purchasing a 12inch complete rifle in the future to use on duty. To me the piston system and the rails are really unique to PWS. I am pretty sure that no one is using a long stroke piston and the rail replacement feature is a plus. I think the way the rails are set up directly attribute to the light weight of the rifle. Before I got this upper I was a HUGE fan of the PWS muzzle device, FSC556? its the stock muzzle device that comes with it i am just not sure what its called. Regardless its very effective to allow follow up shots quickly and if you test it in low light or night fire the flash is adequately suppressed as well.
The firing cycles I have done have all been fast semi-auto fire doing shoot and manuvere drills. I initially sighted it in using a Vortex optic HS 1 x 4 optic but since then any firing has been tactical in nature. This weapon comes up to target very, very, easily. I have a LWRC m6A and it is obese compared to the weight of the PWS and it is also very front heavy in comparison. I am a lot faster with the PWS than the LWRC, Rock river duty issued or my personal custom DI gun, all are 16 in weapons. The PWS is an extremely soft shooter and I was surprised by that due to its light weight, but recoil impulse was light and the sights stay on target easily. The only negative that I may be able to find with this weapon system is that the front portion of the rail heats up very quickly. I did a semi-auto mag dump with my surefire 60 round mag (trying to test reliability with the sure fire mag) and it was extremely hot. Now granted most weapons will be hot after that as well but your PWS will get hotter faster in the front end. For me its not a big deal as I shoot with a foregrip, if not just use the supplied handguards or wear gloves. I wish I could give you guys some great photos on accuracy but I did not take any photos. I zeroed this weapon at 50 yards and with both iron and my vortex it was easily touching with 55 gr lake city ammo. If you do your part this is more accurate than a battle rifle needs to be.
I will try and update everyone once I do a couple rifle courses and get a higher round count to see what kind of wear is occurring and any other impressions. I will admit I am a piston fan and believe that is the future in terms of where the weapons systems for the army are going. That is my opinion and nothing more. DI guns are fine for police work and personal ownership, piston are a big improvement if you are in the elements for a prolonged period of time without the ability to properly clean or apply lubrication. The mk 116 will be my primary go to rifle for SHTF and I will be getting one for work, replacing my current department issue rock river ( nice gun by the way, no issues). If you are in the market for a upper or rifle, give PWS a thought. The fact alone that its so light and so easy to maneuver is a huge selling point. Rifles get heavy on perimeter, they get heavy on ruck marches, and they get heavy when your stressed to the max. As of writing this my PWS is currently sporting magpul iron sights, I removed the vortex and left it on the lwrc. I am looking to get the SWFA 1 x 6 that is coming out soon as I love the magnification range. My goal with writing this was to simply share my thoughts and initial observations. Dmack is a great guy who took a ton of time to share his experiences with the MK series. I felt that hell, the least I could do is put a gaggle of words on paper about my impressions. Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this, KG.

P.S. I will be running this gun suppressed once the ATF decides to send the freaking can to my dealer. I will update accordingly.

The STS Titan appears to be a PWS complete upper, mated to a Billet Lower. Notice the only difference is the one piece trigger guard. That denotes that the lower is Billet. The upper receiver could be Billet as well, with the PWS barrel / long stroke piston / BCG / Rails, etc mounted to it. I can't visually tell if it's Billet or Forged.

I don't know much about STS, but it looks like they are partnering with PWS to produce piston guns assembled in house. This could be feasible. I have asked PWS to give me some clarification... The price is a bit steeper, so they "may" be using a different barrel, and billet upper / lower combinations. PWS uses a forged upper / lower on the MK1 series rifles, with Bergara barrels in 1:8 that shoot straight.

KG,

Glad you are getting on with your rifle well. 600 rounds? Not even broken in yet. Just remember, to run a .40 cal brush down the gas tube every now and again... if you make it a routine thing, you will never need to worry. But, if you neglect it, you can expect about 17k down the pipe before it starts getting sluggish on ya.

Thank you for everyone's input into this thread. I alone did not make this as a solo effort. I have encouraged others to add to it as a living, breathing document.

I want the best, most accurate and un-biased information out there for the consumer.

As for MY MK114, I just got a Bushnell Elite 1-6.5 FFP in, with the MIL / Donut reticle. I will be running that for a while, until I get my USO SN4 1-4 Dual Reticle... Stay tuned for pictures and first impressions.

Cheers!

DMack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malerba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DMack, I just wanted to say THANK YOU for a great review. I am new to the world of ARs and your insight has helped me stay afloat in the vast sea of conflicting info/opinions on the web. I am proud to say I ordered my first rifle, the PWS mk116 with the Geissele SSA, yesterday! Thanks for making my decision much easier. </div></div>

Malerba,

I missed your post here... not intentionally though. I'm glad that you made the decision to go with PWS, I think you will grow to love that rifle. The SSA is a great addition to that superb platform, and will help you extract the accuracy out of it that is there for the taking. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me...

Run your rifle often, and run it hard.

Cheers!

DMack

I'm running the new Bushnell Elite 1-6.5 on this MK114 now... the one I have is spec'd with the FFP BTR-2 reticle. I will be writing more about this optic very soon. Been swamped at work...

Ran the MK114 in a class today, HARD. This rifle keeps running and running and running.

Bottom line up front, I really, REALLY like this 1-6.5 from Bushy.

I'll be running my 114 in Telluric Group's advanced carbine class this weekend so it should be interesting to run this thing in its element. 2 days...1K rounds...and a shoot house. Giddythefuckup!

BA,

Looking forward to your review... 1000 rounds in two days, you are starting to shoot like I do.

I won't make it a habit...trust me
wink.gif
It never fails whether a match or a class I have to put in a 65 hr week prior to, and afterwards just to be able to take the time off so I was pretty beat up prior to class, and now I'm thinking I need a bubble bath and pair of bunny slippers so I'll keep it short.

I went in with about 300 rounds down the pipe and left it dirty on purpose. I just ran PMC and M193. Today it rained up until around lunch time so it also got a good dose of wet ammo and I pretty much had sand in everything as well. Through it all it just ran. Not a single failure of any type.

I've never owned anything so light so there was a bit of a learning curve just to get used to the weight (or lack thereof) but by the second time through a drill I was feeling pretty comfortable behind it.

The class was pretty cool but that's probably a topic for another thread, or maybe even another forum.

Time for my rubber ducky and a game of "up periscope"
wink.gif

Making me think about selling my Stag and upgrade to this beast now!!! lol

To shoot a PWS rifle, is to buy one. They just friggin run. If you want a rifle that will turn gunpowder into noise... Every time... Get a a PWS. It's everything you NEED in an AR, nothing you don't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To shoot a PWS rifle, is to buy one. They just friggin run. If you want a rifle that will turn gunpowder into noise... Every time... Get a a PWS. It's everything you NEED in an AR, nothing you don't. </div></div>

You got a PM DMack

Just adding my experience to the thread. This is what I was able to do with a PWS Mk107, 4x ACOG, Delta P. Design 5.56 Brevis Compact and XM193 ammo. The 5 round group was shot at 100 yards. Once the rifle was zeroed I was surprised by how well the little carbine would reach out to 600 yards!

562670_3706413343488_1370176248_33518610_969454317_n.jpg

540089_3706336981579_1370176248_33518571_20676411_n.jpg

564873_3715066399809_1370176248_33524562_334103669_n.jpg

not to correct your group size, but something is off with the groups in that pic. see the bullet holes that ontarget circles? those should match the circle. did you scale it correctly?

I'm not saying the mk107 can't shoot, because I've seen sub moa groups, but I'm just little confused by that.

perhaps I'm wrong
smile.gif

I think the inner diamond is 1 inch wide maybe? I just looked on ontarget and the hole seem to fit better... have a look at it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not to correct your group size, but something is off with the groups in that pic. see the bullet holes that ontarget circles? those should match the circle. did you scale it correctly?

I'm not saying the mk107 can't shoot, because I've seen sub moa groups, but I'm just little confused by that.

perhaps I'm wrong
smile.gif

I think the inner diamond is 1 inch wide maybe? I just looked on ontarget and the hole seem to fit better... have a look at it.</div></div>

Not sure, might have left .264" in the settings.

DMack, is there a difference in rail lengths when you move up in barrel length? I like to run my guns with my weak hand as far forward as possible while wrapping my hand around the front rail. Wondering if I should be looking at he MK116 instead. Does the same apply to the MK2 series?

Thanks for the n depth updates.

The rails are the same from the MK110 up. PWS is now making extended rails for the MK114 and MK116 for those who like to put your reaction side hand way out front. I have a set on the way... Pictures will follow, once they arrive. I will install them on my MK114.

As of now, PWS is only making longer rails for the MK1 series rifles. I have inquired about longer rails for the MK2 series... They also make a shorter top rail for the MK107 Diablo.

This comes in handy when using a suppressor...

Check the website for more details.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rails are the same from the MK110 up. PWS is now making extended rails for the MK114 and MK116 for those who like to put your reaction side hand way out front. I have a set on the way... Pictures will follow, once they arrive. I will install them on my MK114. </div></div>

What length of forearm are we talking here??? 12" 13" ????

Bribri...

The rails on the MK112 - MK114 - MK116 rifles are 9.875 inches long on the side. The newer rails (extended) are two inches longer... so, that will effectively give you a 12 inch rail (give or take a wee bit) on the sides, to stretch your arm out a bit more.

ALLCON:

I ran my MK114 today, using 55 grain American Eagle Black Box, and 69 grain Winchester Ranger LE (Match) ammo. I moved my zero from 50 yards to 100 yards, using the Bushnell Elite 1-6.5 FFP optic.

Once I dialed in at 100 yards, I was grinning because even with as many rounds as my MK114 has through it, and as DIRTY FILTHY NASTY as it was today, it still stacks rounds on top of each other.

I then was able to get DOPE on steel, from 100 all the way to 600 yards. We had steel at 240, 340, 440, 540 and 600. Hits were consistent once I figured out the MIL Holds for this reticle.

This optic is not designed for "dialing"... it has a nice circle - dot style reticle, with a MIL Scale underneath... giving up to 10 mils of holds. I'm using the BTR reticle... as seen here:

http://www.bushnell.com/images/reticle-b...4C6D2FF996&

I was getting right at 5.5 MILs to make consistent hits at 540 yards with the 69 grain SMK's... the only issue is wind holds. The MIL Scale is not "huge" by any stretch of the imagination, and there are no subtension marks for wind holds. So, you kind of just have to SWAG it.

The glass is absolutely amazing. On 1 power, the FOV is huge. Both eyes open is like looking through air. My optic is FFP though... so, on one power, the reticle is very small. It is very easy to pick up when lit, but without the ILLUM on, you have to sort of "hunt" for the circle.

If I had it to do over, I would have gotten this reticle, but in SFP. The only time I need the MIL scale is when I am at full power, shooting at distance anyway.

All in all, I am very pleased with this combination. Once my US Optics 1-4 Dual Reticle arrives, I will be interested to see which performs better.

My only gripe about the Bushy Elite (besides the FFP making the reticle a wee bit too small on one power) is the turrets. Yes, they are capped... but they wiggle. Not a huge deal, but annoying.

All in all, Bushnell has stepped up their game, across the board. This glass pairs so well with my MK114. It definitely lets this rifle reach out to it's limits.

Be safe out there...

DMack

Dmack, check your PMs when you get a chance, I got a question on standby for ya.

Thanks

DMack,

Could you respond with a few comments on the SM556 versus the Triad? I bought my mk116 used from a friend of mine and it had a Surefire flash suppressor on it. Since I don't have a can, I was thinking about installing either the SM556 or the Triad, but am leaning towards the Triad.

Thanks,
DD7

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">taseal,

I will get with you in May. </div></div>

got it

Desert Dog...

The SM556 that ships normally on the MK114 MK116 is almost the same as the FSC556. It is a more traditional COMPENSATOR, that does some flash suppression. It's designed to work with the GEMTECH HALO suppressor, and does a very phenomenal job of handling recoil.

The TRIAD is a serious FLASH SUPPRESSOR, which does not help curb recoil, but does help with muzzle rise. The way it is "timed" directs gas up and to the right, which helps tame muzzle rise, especially on select fire. Now, it also does not "side gas" like the SM556 / FSC556 / TTO... or any other traditional "comp" or "brake".

If you shoot in a crowded line, or next to someone in close proximity, I would urge you to use the Triad. But, beware, it is a true FLASH SUPPRESSOR / FLASH HIDER, so check the local laws. Some states have silly laws forbidding flash hiders, etc.

I hope this helps...

For the record, I run the Triad on ALL of my PWS Rifles, with the exception of the MK107 and the MK214.

The Triad works very well.

v/r

DMack

DMack,
Thank you for this excellent write up on the MK114. I have been lurking many forums searching for the right piston driven upper and your review sold me on PWS. The only question that I have for you is in regards to the enhanced buffer tubes. Do you recommend the EBT mil spec or the EBT 416? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!