• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PWS MK214

Re: PWS MK214

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good job guys

In this world, people seem to forget that 1 MOA is the standard. Anything better then 1 MOA is great.

1 MOA will win all matches and kill anything on the planet so I say even on bad days, gear, new options and all that, the rifle is still 1 MOA or better.

Who cares if the grouping is a vertical line. Its a new system now.

John </div></div>Thanks Brother!. Stay in touch and keep me posted on any classes you may be running in my neck of the woods again.

Not sure why you guys are posting all these excuses, as it looks like you had a good time and got in some good groups as well!

Thanks for posting them up and it makes me looking forward to mine coming to me shortly!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nailz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure why you guys are posting all these excuses, as it looks like you had a good time and got in some good groups as well!

Thanks for posting them up and it makes me looking forward to mine coming to me shortly!
smile.gif
</div></div>

I suppose it could sound that way but if you're going to test you have to post the bad with the good. There are too many product reviews out there where you don't always get the full story and all you get is sugarcoated tales of perfection. I likely learn far more from my bad days at the range than I ever learn from my good. The test results had nothing to do with the platforms...it was just one of those days. We couldn't <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> tell the whole story.

I agree with you completely and was more giving you a hard time than anything else, your range day story resonates as they sound a lot like mine at times!
wink.gif

Thanks again for posting your pics, have a great Christmas guys!

Same to you Brother... I can't wait to hear how you like your rifle...

Update:

My charging handler latch tooth was broken, wow! Might be caused by dry firing (which I do at least 3x/week).

Any thoughts what could have caused this?
6664759893_76636f8d62_b.jpg

6664758101_8225dcd0d5_b.jpg

Ive seen vertical strings caused by the barrel heating up and warping. Have you ever tried shooting the group with the shots about 5 minutes apart?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, update...

I put my new SN3 1.8-10 on this rifle, using US Optics rings, and a flat top low profile riser base. The optic was a bit far forward, so we had to re mount it to get the eye relief correct.

All in all, Murphy was with us at the range. I wrote a bit more about it in my MK114 thread.

I let BA run this rifle to see what kind of group he could get out of it, for I was shooting like CRAP this day.

We tried a number of different things, and settled on the bipods from the bench. Neither one of us like shooting from the bench, but we must do, what we must do.

Range: Gateway - Jacksonville, FL
Rifle: PWS MK214
Optic: US Optics SN3 TPAL / EREK 1.8-10 with GAP MIL reticle
Trigger: Geissele SD-E
Stock: VLTOR EMod
Pistol Grip: MAGPUL MIAD
Bipods: Harris with Notched Legs
Ammo: 175 grain SMK / FGMM
Distance: 100 yards

Here is BA behind the PWS MK214

RangeDaywithPWSMKrifles002.jpg

Here is the rifle sitting on the crappy / leaky bag... could never get it to feel right. Plus, you can't shoot prone on this range... bummer.

RangeDaywithPWSMKrifles001.jpg

Here is a five shot string that BA laid down... the flier was round number 2, and he called it. The SN3 was not zeroed completely, for we were rushed and just wanted to get it on paper.

IMAG0946.jpg

The Vertical Stringing, was very much due to the fact that the rifle was sliding on the table. Still, I will take that all day long.

This rifle is accurate. But, is not the easiest rifle to shoot well. I have good days, GREAT days, and very crappy days with it. Still, it goes boom every single time you pull the trigger, and it has the softest recoil pulse from a large bore rifle, that I have ever felt. For what I do with this rifle... it is perfect. The USO SN3 1.8-10 is the absolute PERFECT compliment to this rifle...

More to come.

Merry Christmas to you all...

v/r

DMack

</div></div>

Ok all...

My MK214 and MK114 have been shipped back to PWS so we can have them at the boot during SHOT. Stop by and see us if you get a chance (Booth 7203). Both of my rifles will be there, dirty as the day I packed them up (had just finished a range day with them).

There will be some new products to see, as well as just a chance to chat with some very cool guys.

Here's a video that PWS produced for SHOT, showcasing the versatility of the MK214. Something I have been saying all along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntf_GrbyxJ8

Ron,

That is the first time I have seen a broken latch on the Gunfighter Charging Handle. I have no idea what caused that...

I would love to go to SHOT this year, hopefully next year will be possible.

So I finally got my MK216 out to the range, and thought I would put up a couple of pics... Nothing impressive, was in a rush to get to a meeting so I just got it zeroed and shot a fast group as my damn phone kept ringing. The fliers are all me, and definitely not the gun, I am amazed at how little this thing pushes back on you.

I went through about 40 rounds with Copper Creeks .308 gas gun 175gr loads. I did see about 4 FTE's, could I attribute that to the gun being brand new and needing more break in, or could it potentially be something else? I only took one barand new PMAG with me to the range, so I admittedly need to go back and try the others, although I do recall reading that these need a bit of a break in...

Overall, really happy with the way it shoots and hope to get back out soon to test with some other ammo and get some more time on it!

PWS1.jpg

PWS2.jpg

Over

Can i have your shell lol! very nice grouping...welcome to PWS fun club...

Update: Quick reply from PWS about charging handler issues and sent UPS shipping label right away ....awesome job from PWS.

Nailz,

Yes. I had a few issues up until round 60 or so. Once it broke in, I have not had a single issue. Word of advice... Keep an eye on the set screw that retains the bolt catch... Mine backed out. Run that rifle, and enjoy it. What trigger are you using again?

Ron... PWS has probably some of the best customer service in the industry. It's one reason I like the company so much.

tacseal... PWS uses Stainless Steel Bergara barrels from Spain. They are a factory that runs on the Ed Shilen concept, in fact, Ed Shilen set up their factory for them.

Bergara makes their own blanks, PWS does all the finish work in house. The barrels are "ISONITE" treated, which is much the same as "MELONITE" it's just not as hot. I can attest to how tough the ISONITE treatment is on these weapons. The "free float" issue, is not really an issue with the way that PWS works their gas block / long stroke piston. As you can see in my thread, I have had to learn to shoot the rifle from the bipods, and it is sensitive to follow through, but not so much more than any other AR-10 out there. For a rifle that was NEVER designed to be a "precision" rifle, it does the job for me with aplomb.

Here is a link to Bergara Barrels...

http://www.bergarabarrels.com/

Cheers!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nailz,

Yes. I had a few issues up until round 60 or so. Once it broke in, I have not had a single issue. Word of advice... Keep an eye on the set screw that retains the bolt catch... Mine backed out. Run that rifle, and enjoy it. What trigger are you using again?

Ron... PWS has probably some of the best customer service in the industry. It's one reason I like the company so much.
</div></div>

It's still the stock trigger, I do plan to swap in the SSA-E at some point soon, assuming I can do that myself?

I am going to get out and run it some more really soon, so will update after, thanks again for all your advice, love the rifle!

Nailz,

The MILSPEC trigger in the MK2 series rifle, is not terrible... but, it's no SSA / SSA-E / SD-E / S3G... etc.

Once you get the Geissele trigger, you will see the rifle transform. I mean absolutely no insult here... but, understand that the SSA-E is a two stage trigger. I don't know if you have ever used one, but if you have only experienced MILSPEC triggers in an AR platform, your world is about to be transformed. The two stage trigger is unique in that you can "load" the first stage... or pre travel... or whatever you wish to call it... and you can feel a distinct stacking, or transition into the second stage... where the trigger will break clean. The difference in the SSA and the SSA-E is the pull weight / spring tension... and the second stage breaks much lighter on the SSA-E.

I urge you to dry fire your rifle when you put the new trigger in and get used to how it feels. If you have the SSA-E installed, and don't develop a feel for it, you can very easily "blow through" the trigger, and send a round down range before you mean to do so. This is not a single stage trigger. There are those out there that don't care for this trigger, because it really does break differently than any other (single stage) trigger out there. Yes, they do feel that differently. Again, it's not for everyone, but those of us that use GA Triggers, LOVE them.

However, once you develop the feel, they are seriously, hard to beat. I run the SD-E in my rifle (essentially an SSA-E but with a flat trigger bow / shoe)... for I really like the flat trigger bow / shoe.

Best of luck with your rifle. I know you will grow to love it as I love mine. It really is, a do all middle weight AR and the more you shoot it, the more you will appreciate it.

As always, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me. I will share my experiences with this rifle, freely and unbiassedly.

Cheers!

DMack

This is simply a great thread! Thanks for putting the time into sharing your experience with the Mk214.

I brought a Mk216 home about a year ago, and have found it to be a trouble free shooter - just a fun rifle to shoot. After spending the day reading all the information you've posted up here, I decided to take your advice DMack and mount some real glass on this thing to see what it can really do. Switched to a Nightforce 1.5-15X.....that should do the trick. You got me all fired up to take it out and see how it does at longer ranges now - thanks!!

Mike

DMack, thanks for a great write up and some very helpful information. Unfortunately, you just cost me a helluva lot of $$. I'm now looking for a local dealer to satisfy my pws needs...

DMack, Can we get an update on the round count? I seem to remember that you were about 12k on the mk214 with zero issues. This is a great thread I look forward to the updates.

UPDATE:

As you all know... I have been out in Vegas at SHOT 2012 with PWS this week. It was a LOOOOONNNGGGGG week, but well worth it. The take away knowledge I came home with is priceless. I was able to talk to some VERY good shooters, both in the Civilian World, and the World that shall remain nameless.

Several real world trigger pullers stopped by to talk with me, and take a look at my MK214 that I have written about. Every one of them walked away impressed with the system and what it is capable of.

I stand by the fact that this is NOT a precision rifle. But, it does what I need in the world that I work / train in. It is also fun to push the envelope and stretch it to the ragged edge of it's limits.

I am fortunate to be able to shoot with some amazing marksmen, and it backs up my data.

Of note, MSG(R) Paul Howe was with us all week... and the one on one time with him was amazing. In talking with him, I found out that our training protocol mirrors his very closely. He was very interested in how I am running this MK214 and my findings echo his all across the board. He has time on a MK212 (shorter than mine) and he too, is very consistent out to 600 meters.

PWSandSHOTSHOW159.jpg

When talking to folks this week, I made sure to tell them that if they are looking at SUB MOA out past 600 yards, then they need to get a dedicated PRECISION rig. But, if they want a very light, accurate, and dependable rig with the 7.62x51 cartridge... then this is the one.

I was able to spend some time with Arnold and the gang at US Optics. I stand by my feelings for this wonderful company. They take customer satisfaction very serious and know that they build optics that people bet their life on. I for one, am loyal to them for their business practice. They have some great stuff coming out... and the new website rocks.

PWSandSHOTSHOW214.jpg

PWSandSHOTSHOW243.jpg

PWSandSHOTSHOW241.jpg

PWSandSHOTSHOW247.jpg

PWSandSHOTSHOW257.jpg

Ok, had to get a few pictures with Nikki Lane... what a great young lady.

Here is a video we shot on the MK214. This was done with no script, as you can tell. It was hard to speak on this rifle in one minute or less...

More videos will be coming, now that I know the types of shots needed for editing. I have some very good classes coming up, so stay tuned for more real world testing.

If there is anything you all out there want to know about this rifle or what it can / can't do, let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrpQ95V7nGg&sns=fb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Dre</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DMack, Can we get an update on the round count? I seem to remember that you were about 12k on the mk214 with zero issues. This is a great thread I look forward to the updates. </div></div>

Dr. Dre...

I apologize Sir for taking so long to get back with you. I believe you may have my threads crossed... my MK114 is the high round count rifle, I've been testing with it for over a year. It has legitimately over 18k rounds through it.

My MK214 is strictly being used as a precision rig... so it's round count is lower, and will rise slower. I have right now 1640 rounds through it. I am keeping a round log, along with my DOPE on this rifle with various ammo.

So far, the MK1 and MK2 series rifles have my attention.

Cheers,

DMack

Great stuff Darren! Can't think of a better person to go out there and speak about what these great rifles can do. Looks like you had a great time, thanks for sharing it with us!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Dre</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DMack, Can we get an update on the round count? I seem to remember that you were about 12k on the mk214 with zero issues. This is a great thread I look forward to the updates. </div></div>

Dr. Dre...

I apologize Sir for taking so long to get back with you. I believe you may have my threads crossed... my MK114 is the high round count rifle, I've been testing with it for over a year. It has legitimately over 18k rounds through it.

My MK214 is strictly being used as a precision rig... so it's round count is lower, and will rise slower. I have right now 1640 rounds through it. I am keeping a round log, along with my DOPE on this rifle with various ammo.

So far, the MK1 and MK2 series rifles have my attention.

Cheers,

DMack </div></div>

You've got me really considering one of these 214's. For my uses I'd like MOA out to 600 and MOT (minute of torso) out to 800. It's pretty outstanding that the PWS can accomplish MOA to 600 with a 14 inch barrel. I wonder if the 16 would reach 800 with MOA accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a video we shot on the MK214.... </div></div>

Nicely done my friend. Real question is...

Now that you're a movie star and all, can we still be BFF's? LOL

DMack, I've been following this thread as well as the MK114 thread since they both started. It's been very enlightening to see what these piston guns can do. Also, seeing what the shooter has to do on these rifles, something you and BattleAxe have brought forth and explained in several range reports, has been very helpful to me and furthering my shooting on semi-autos.

Waiting to see what results come from the classes you have lined up. Have to say I'm a PWS fan now because of your effort to validate these weapon systems and show it in the manner you have. Otherwise, PWS is a company I'm really not sure I would've paid much attention to.

Guys, Thanks for the kind words. I am just a guy that tries to tell it like it is. As stated, when I started my MK114 thread, I was no fan of the piston gun. I have never had a DI gun fail me. But, this long stroke system is amazing in the sense that it is LOW maintenance, and they run very SOFTLY. The recoil pulse, or lack there of, is what sold me. And the fact, that it goes boom when I need it to.

I'd like to speak on an issue that came to light a few posts back. Ron Pogi posted that his charging latch broke on the VLtor / Bravo Company Gunfighter Charging Handle.

This, is no doubt one of the best charging handles in the industry... and I think there is enough documentation to show that. Now... I was curious about Ron's issue, so I asked. There have been some cases of the charging handle latch breaking... but ONLY on the MK2 series rifles... NOT the MK1 series. This is due to a few issues.

I was fortunate to meet the head man, for Bravo Company. He came by the PWS booth at SHOT, and looked at my rifles. He told me that the industry does not have a standard for the AR-10 uppers, and each upper receiver is a bit different. PWS is using SI Defense Billet Uppers and Lowers. He stated that he has heard of MANY issues on the AR-10 series breaking the latches. But, it was his opinion, after investigating the breakage... that MOST of the breakage was due to the owner / operator locking the bolt back to change the magazine, or whatever... and then releasing the bolt catch... letting the bolt ride forward under the buffer spring tension... without pushing the charging handle back "home" and locking it in.

I for one, have never done this. I run my AR's the way I was taught many years ago by the US Army, some old habits die hard.

I know that in competitive circles, the shooter tries to shave off every tenth of a second they can... and this may be why latches are breaking.

I just thought I would pay this forward.

Another thing that came to my attention is the ongoing discussion between "Who is better... LWRCI or PWS". I had that question posed to me more times than I care to count at SHOT.

Here is my once and for all take on this. I know that this thread is followed by many people out there. When I started this, I asked Lowlight if I could do a NON-Biased review on his website, of a rifle that isn't considered a precision rig. He gave me his permission, and I am grateful for that.

I do not take sides when evaluating gear. I tell it like it is. I am in the business of teaching brave men and women skills that will make them successful in their scope of duty, and I can not in my right mind, endorse a product that will fail them in their darkest hour.

If you are a DI fan, then run a DI gun. There are tons of great DI guns out there. In fact, the cheapest DI gun out there, in the hands of a TRUE "gun guy"... will be fine. Why? Because we will tweak it, maintain it, care for it, and it will not fail us.

If you are a "brand x" fan... Piston / non Piston... fine. Run your gun. Get training. GET PROFESSIONAL TRAINING. Make that weapon so comfortable in your hands, that you can run it with subconscious competency. Maintain it. Care for it... and train with it.

I believe in PWS because of the system and it's reliability. I also believe in their customer service. They make a fantastic weapon for the price. I would not hesitate to carry one to hell and back. Period.

Now, my rant is over. Here's what to expect in the near future. I will continue to run my MK114 in my Carbine Classes. I will continue to keep a round count on this weapon. I also plan on swimming with it more, both fresh and salt water... to see if there is any long term effects to the Isonite treatment.

I will run my MK214 in the Police Precision Marksman role, and continue to keep an accurate round count. I'm very curious to the longevity of the bolt lugs, in comparison to the industry out there. I want to see if the long stroke piston gives any life to the bolt / carrier over the DI systems out there.

I also plan on using it in some 3 gun matches. The only thing I have to do is change the optic.

So far, both of these rifles are superb. I also will start a thread on my MK110 and add to that.

Battle Axe, we will always be BFFs... LOL

Cheers!

DMack

Also, UPDATE: MK2 series specific

I had some very in depth discussion with the lead engineer at PWS. He was VERY curious as to why the MK2 series rifles did not "like" the 168 grain SMK's. This comes from reports in the field besides my own. He has daily conversations with other big names in the rifle business... (believe it or not, they ALL know each other, and they ALL talk to each other). So, he was able to get a bag of 168 grain SMK's to take back and do some strict control testing. They will weigh each bullet, mic each bullet, hand load each bullet, and see if the 168 grain issue has any merit. I too, have some 168 grain SMK's to play around with. So, I'm curious as well... as to what their findings will be.

It is my goal, to bring you all the most up to date and accurate information that I can.

I believe there is more accuracy to be had out of this MK214 rifle. The more I shoot it, the better I get with it. You can bet there will be more range reports and videos to follow.

@ OneMoreTime... yes, this rifle is more than capable at MOA to 600 yards with the 175 SMK's... even with the 168 SMK's. Out to 800 yards, the 16" would be a bit better, due to the extra two inches. Especially if you hand load. If you are considering one... I would say do it. Just put a good trigger in it, and good glass on it... and never look back. They are a HOOT to SHOOT!!!

I'm seriously considering it...

Both of your's are 14's but make the 16" minimum with the FH/Brake, correct?

OMT... Yes. Both are 14.5" barrels with perm attached muzzle devices making them legal. I have a registered SBR with tax stamp (MK110 ) with a 10.5" barrel.

Here is the information on the Isonite Treatment... the company that does it is called MMI Trutec... the lead man is Joel Kendrick. He's a heck of a great guy...

The treatment is the Isonite QPQ treatment. Here is the link:

http://www.trutecind.com/isonite_q.aspx

It's very similar to the MELONITE process, but the temperature is controlled a little bit more closely... (100 degrees cooler) and does not endanger the metal (keeps it from possible anealment)... now, I have zero idea what I just typed. All I know is that my MK114 has a very high round count in a short period of time, and is still very accurate, and shows little to no wear. It's a very hard coating...

I just wanted to push this out there... There are a number of new high speed coatings. I have only had long term experience with this process. I'm a believer in it!

Cheers!

Darren

One of my buddies lent me some reloaded ammos. mil spec brass 7.62x51 trimmed to length 2.005", federal primers 210m, varget 42.5gr and Hornady 168gr HPBT.

Result: sub-moa @ 100yards, 10/10 @ 600 yards 10" steel target

It didn't do well on smk 168,155 though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What was the COAL for that load? </div></div>

2.760-2.765"

I find that the M118LR is the most accurate in my MK214... it is on average... 2.815 "ish"

Your load seems a bit "short" to me... I'm interested in that. I'm going to start playing around with different loads now and see what I can find with this system. I know it loves the FGMM 175's and the M118LR. It is not very consistent with the FGMM 168's... and hopefully PWS will crack that nut. It does well with 155's, and even 147's... but, the 168 FGMM is an enigma.

What velocity are you getting with that load Ron?

I would like to address an issue that I have seen on several internet forums out there. I don't get involved in the other sites, I have chosen Sniper's Hide as my home, and have for some time.

One of the issues that people raise... is the fact that the PWS Charging handle is captured on the operating rod that locates the Gas Piston system.

First off, PWS spec's the VLTOR Gunfighter (Bravo Company) charging handle... which is considered one of the best in the industry. I know I have run them on ALL of my rifles... LONG before becoming associated with PWS. It is a tough piece of kit.

Now, coming DIRECTLY from PWS... they have not had more than a handful of the charging handle latches break. These have been on the MK2 series rifles, and have most likely been attributed to the operator of the rifle, not returning the charging handle to the "latched" position before slamming the bolt home. Spade, is a spade.

Now, due to the fact that there is no "MILSPEC" standard per se on the AR10 platform, some bolt catch latch ramps are steeper than others, and have caused breakage in the charging handle.

Not saying this could not or has not happened in the MK1 series uppers, it's just that it is not reported as often. Can this happen to ANY rifle? Yes.

So, what if your charging handle breaks? It is VERY unlikely, but Murphy is a bitch, and visits us when we least expect it. So... here's the deal. The PWS piston is held by a pin, that is interference fitted to the operating rod... the piston floats on the pin. Yes, you can drive the pin out, but you have to have the proper punch or else you can break / damage the piston.

Like anything... you have to have the proper tool for the job.

PWS is going to manufacture a nice tool (much like an AK sight tool) which will allow the end user to remove the pin, then put it back on.

I have removed mine... and replaced it, just to say I did it. But, I have the proper punch to do so.

In the unlikely incident that you break a charging handle latch... will the rifle still run? Yes. It will.

Can you finish the gunfight and fix it back at home? Yes.

I have run my MK114 very, VERY hard... and have not broken mine. My MK214 has never broken either. Not saying it can't, but I'm saying I have not broken it.

Other than that, there is NOTHING to fail in this rifle. Even if the pin broke, that holds the piston... the rifle will still function. The only thing that gives me worries, are normal failures like springs in the bolt (extractor and plunger springs) or the extractor claw itself. I have broken one... so, I know it happens. I just keep a spare DI bolt in my MIAD in case I need it. Happy Camper.

I hope this puts to rest any issues that people may have.

PWS... EVERYTHING you NEED in an AR, NOTHING that you DON'T.

Cheers!!!

DMack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find that the M118LR is the most accurate in my MK214... it is on average... 2.815 "ish"

Your load seems a bit "short" to me... I'm interested in that. I'm going to start playing around with different loads now and see what I can find with this system. I know it loves the FGMM 175's and the M118LR. It is not very consistent with the FGMM 168's... and hopefully PWS will crack that nut. It does well with 155's, and even 147's... but, the 168 FGMM is an enigma.

What velocity are you getting with that load Ron?

</div></div>

Definitely light load but I was amazed the result, I'm not sure about the velocity but my friend told me it was 2420-2460fps I apologized for the last info about the COAL it was 2.800" not 2.760-2.765".

Roger that. Mine seems to like them a wee bit longer...

Dmack, no need to apologize to me. Thanks for the great post. Keep up the good work.

Forgive me for being off topic here but could not find another thread that i felt i would get an honest and accurate answer.

Trying to decide what new rifle to buy.
I was looking at the SCAR's but now i am sold on PWS.
My dilemma is what calibre to purchase.
I like the MK216 but I am having difficulty locating sources for the 7.62x51 round.
5.56 round is easy to obtain.
Does anyone have any information/thoughts on the availibility of the 7.62x51 round vs the 5.56?
I am only looking at using maybe a 1000 or 2000 rounds a year through it.
Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SanAntonioDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but I am having difficulty locating sources for the 7.62x51 round.
</div></div>

308 isn't hard to find...

From what i have read, there is a higher risk of damage and issues using 308 rounds instead of the appropriate 7.62 round.
PWS i believe does state that a person can use 308 in there firearms chambered for 7.62 but i would prefer to use the cartridge that it was designed for.
Are most people using 308 rounds?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SanAntonioDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Are most people using 308 rounds? </div></div>

Everyone is.

There aren't any modern firearms out there that will handle 762x51 and not 308.

Buy some GOOD 308 ammo (or make your own) and shoot with confidence.

Okay, that is good to know.
Looking at the higher quality ammo, 308 is about the same price as 5.56 which means I feel the MK216 would be the best overall choice for me.

Thanks

If you are on the fence with caliber... I would ask you this. What do you plan on doing with the rifle?

I have the MK114 and the MK214 that I shoot a lot. I also have a MK110 which is a Short Barreled Rifle, that I have registered with a Tax Stamp.

If you are looking at a good "do it all" rifle, that you can have some fun shooting at distance with, the MK214 is a blast. Set up the way mine is set up, gives a great shooting, accurate rifle out to 600 yards (easy) and beyond with the right ammo and shooting fundamentals.

If you are "new" to the AR platform, and want something to shoot more frequently, I would say look at the MK114. With the proper ammo (69-77 grain) you can EASILY reach out to 600 yards on steel with it (given the proper trigger / optic / shooter) and still be able to do carbine classes, matches, etc.

The thing that the MK214 does is bring a heavier caliber, into a very portable / pointable rifle, that feels like a traditional AR for those of us that run them a lot.

The con's are (for the MK214) is that it is more expensive to shoot in volume, unless you reload... and that it is a wee bit heavier than a fully kitted MK114. The MK214 is also not a "True" precision rifle, in the letter of the definition. However, it is a HIGHLY accurate "battle" or "fighting" rifle, with a more powerful cartridge than the 5.56mm.

Either way, you can't go wrong. The .308 ammo (175 grain Federal Gold Medal Match) and .223 (77 grain Black Hills... MK262 clone)are what these rifles LOVE... and they are roughly the same cost.. within a few bucks. But, the MK114 will eat the cheaper 55 grain American Eagle, or Military Surplus rounds, with aplomb. So, the MK114 will be "cheaper" to shoot if you look at it that way.

I hope this helps you decide...

Once you can honestly answer what you want to do with the rifle, the decision will be easier to make.

If you go with the MK114 and put a good optic (like the SWFA SS 1-4) on it, you can do most anything you want to do with it.

Cheers!

DMack

To add:

To date, the most accurate round I have fired in the MK214 with any consistency, is the M118LR (NATO) which is the 7.62x51 using the 175 grain Sierra Match King.

The Federal 175 grain Gold Medal Match in 7.62x51 is also amazing in this rifle. I have not had great success (at distance) with the 168 grain .308 FGMM... but, I need more rounds through it to see if that is a true issue, or if it was just me.

PWS told me that they are getting crazy results out of 147 grain NATO surplus, shooting solid MOA out to 400 to 500 yards, and beyond... I haven not used any of the lighter stuff.

I have run minimal 155 grain VMax through it, mostly just to see how consistent it is. Once I get the rifles back (enroute now) I can pick up my testing and run with it.

But, don't feel you can't run .308 WIN in this rifle... it is a very hungry beast, and will eat what you feed it.

Cheers!

this goes out to anyone that can help... I'm about to start reloading 168 HPBT with new Nato 7.62x51 brass and I'll be using Varget, does anybody have a recipe? I have a Mk214.