• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PWS MK214

Re: PWS MK214

DMack, didn't you mention you might have an LWRC REPR to compare at some point? Did that ever come to fruition?

Chainring... I spoke a bit pre-maturely about running this rifle next to a REPR from LWRCI. My contact was setting me up with a T&E rifle from LWRCI... but, they only allowed me to keep it for 30 days.

I was excited, but had to decline due to me being TDY during the time they wanted to send it to me. I'm sure the offer is still there, but due to the changes at work, I will not be able to devote time to test it accurately until spring.

I have my feelers out to see if anyone local to me has one that I can get my hands on. The issue is this... the REPR / OBR / MWS / GAP-10, et al... are designed from the get-go to be precision rifles. The PWS MK2 series is not. It's a battle rifle, that I felt would perform in the role of a LEO Tactical Rifle admirably, and be a force multiplier for the traditional bolt gun.

It is doing everything I ask of it, and then some. I am in contact with other Law Enforcement Agencies that are testing the PWS MK2 as I am, and they are getting very similar results. It is a very solid rifle, that runs... and runs WELL... that you can make very precise shots when needed.

I'd still LOVE to test it next to a REPR / OBR / MWS / etc...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr.MOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks DMack,
You are right, I was referring to being able to switch between the FSC30 and the PRC muzzel break, not a silencer.. The thought is to use the FSC30 for hunting and the PRC for long range shooting. The on-line reviews for the FSC30 sound like it is the perfect all around muzzel brake / flash suppressor, however, several folks such as yourself seem to prefer the PRC. Do you have experience with both of these muzzle devices to know first had what the performance is like? </div></div>

Mr. MOA, I have not fired a MK2 series rifle with the FSC30... but I do have one (FSC556) on my MK114 and I find that it does the job adequately. When I was spec'ing my rifle (MK214) with Todd Tuttle, we discussed the muzzle device at lenth. He knew that I would be doing the vast majority of shooting with the MK214 prone, from bipods... or supported in a helicopter. So, we chose the PRC for it's enhanced brake capabilities.

The PRC is DEFINITELY a brake. It outgasses latterally, in a huge way. It's a key component as to why my rifle shoots so softly. It is a perfect companion to the PWS Buffer Tube, and I tell you... it literally has almost zero precieved recoil.

The FSC30 is a balance between a flash suppressor, and a brake... with more brake traits than flash suppressor. So, having said that... if you are going to do a dual role type rifle, I would spec it with the FSC30 and call it a day. It really works. I would not, however, advise switching the two. Threads on the barrel are delicate, and you can knick the crown inadvertantly... when removing / installing them. That... you DON'T want to do.

So, choose the FSC30, and don't look back. I think it will be more than adequate for your needs.

I hope this helps Brother...

Cheers!!!

Update....

I fired my PWS MK216 today at 100 rounds. After 80 rounds, the California BB fell off the slot, took me about 5 minutes to reassemble it. Just a small issue.

Another issue is about the california magazine. I can't fit the loaded magazine with the AR bolt closed. It needs to be opened to fit a full load (10 rounds).

At 100 rounds, only 3 bullets jammed using American Eagle 150 grain during loading then I had no more problems after that.

By the way, thanks DMack for the advice on how to hold the rifle properly.

My Geissele SSA-E trigger has been modified to 3 lbs. Not bad at all, the bullets had 1 MOA from each other at 200 yards.

I also used the Hornady Ballistic calculator and I hit the target accurately at 600 yards. I was really amazed. The targets below are at 200 yards with wind velocity at 7 mph. The second target had 3 bullets out of the group because I did not use a sandbag with those ..... yeah, it's a good excuse.

6138655059_53c63d0de7_b.jpg

6139206038_6af9328512_b.jpg

6139312360_aeba74c5b5.jpg

I guess so coz I've notice the magazine wobble a little bit forward inside the mag well, so maybe the ammo is a little bit forward dive inside. I will try to put a a tape in a magazine side to compensate the wobble and lets find out what will happen. It happen to my PWS AR pistol 7.62x39 before, I put some tape to the magazine and the issues gone.

Thanks

Ron,

PWS uses ISONITE (similar to MELONITE, just not as hot) to coat their metal. This is a salt bath nitrocarbonite bath process, that "can" leave particulate in the chamber. Make sure you clean the chamber well, in the first few hundred rounds, to make sure that any of that particulate is wiped away.

I have had a few issues with the FGMM early on, within the first 200 rounds, but I have not had a single issue since then.

Please keep us informed if you continue to have issues with feeding, extracting, etc...

I think you will find that your rifle will settle in, and become VERY, VERY HUNGRY!!!

She's not a picky eater, either.

The only problem I had with my 214 is ammo related when the casing rim broke off and I had to punch the bore get the spent cartridge out. It was a reload so I think it is safe to say ammo related.

I have found that my little MK214 has FARRRRRR surpassed my initial expectations of this rifle. I admit, I was a wee bit skeptical, due to the NON floating barrel, but I have yet to find that it makes a difference. In fact, the MK214 has become my absolute FAVORITE rifle to shoot. I have this rifle on loan to the Sniper Team of a neighboring Police Department... they are doing some testing with it while I am TDY in South Carolina.

I'm glad that I am seeing that my findings are on par with most out there... good news!!!

Dmack
I am not meaning any offense to anybody on this forum but couldn't you agree there are a lot of rifles out there that will never be shot to their full potential? And that maybe a free float barrel is a little over hyped? I do understand that it is better to have a free float with a bipod but I am curious to know just how much of a difference it makes.

Whoa Boy... BM, you went down that rabbit hole... LOL

I am by NO means a GUNSMITH, or a GUN EXPERT, or even a COMPETITIVE SHOOTER. I'm just a guy that has done a butt load of tactical shooting, and hard use on top of a lot of training. So, what follows is my own observations... and not the bottom line.

Ok, here's MY take on it, and my experience... your mileage may vary. I have shot AR's for the better part of 25 years in my Military Career. I have trusted my life to the M16 / M4 series of rifles on multiple rotations in both theater of operations, and the "free float" issue has never been an... er... issue.
Handheld rifles are just that, hand held. It isn't until you start getting into prone / bipod type shooting that barrel harmonics come into play.

As a cartridge is fired, the gas expands, pushing the projectile down the barrel. Have you ever watched a rifle being fired in very slow motion? Some barrels look like noodles...

I won't go into the math, or equations, but lets just say, the shorter the barrel, or the FATTER the barrel, generally, the stiffer it is. This in terms of harmonics.

While there are a number of factors that determine the accuracy of a rifle barrel, one of the more critical elements is its stiffness or rigidity. Obviously the larger in diameter a barrel is, the stiffer it will be. Almost as obviously, as the length of a barrel increases it becomes more limber. I call this the "noodle factor".

So, there is a trade off of sorts if our goal is a stiff barrel, and as a result a potentially more accurate one. If we are limited to a barrel of a certain weight, as we are with a varmint or hunter class rifle, the compromise becomes length verses diameter.

In the case of an AR platform, even a Direct Impingement rifle has a gas block stuck out on the barrel somewhere. This is a necessity for the rifle to function. You must divert the gas back to the bolt, to drive the action. Even with a piston gun, you have to divert the gas to drive the piston. So, we can not escape this metal out on our barrel.

The gas tube also contacts the upper reciever. This is of little consequence... but, it can still have some effect in harmonics.

On a bolt gun, I can see the need for a bedded action and a free floating barrel. To an extent. You want to make sure the barrel is FAT enough, and SHORT enough to be able to withstand the noodle efect of the round passing through it. A 30 inch floated barrel will oscilate more than a 20 inch floated barrel of the same diameter. This is a non disputable fact.

When a cartridge is fired in a chamber, the barrel undergoes many stresses. It begins to vibrate when the firing pin starts its fall and these vibrations increase dramatically from then on. During recoil and while the bullet is still in the barrel, the barrel will whip vertically. This happens because the thrust axis of the rifle is above the centerline of the stock. During recoil the barrel comes back and up. Minutely, of course, but the movement IS there...

The muzzle will lag behind the rest of the barrel in this movement and the vertical whipping motion is set up. While these vibrations of the barrel are very small, they do exist. The stiffer a barrel is, the less the muzzle will jump around. This brief description is of course an oversimplification of the dynamics that take place, but they do point out the type of barrel movements occurring and why a stiffer barrel is more accurate. Hence the inception of the "bull barrel".

Now, is free floating tubes a MUST when it comes to accuracy on an AR platform? Yes and No. We are limited to the overall diameter of the barrel on our AR's... because WHO wants to carry around a 20 pound AR? So, in all things equal, an M4 profile barrel, will oscilate the same no matter if it has a floating tube on it, or the US GI Issue KAC rails that I humped over the mountains for many moons.

Where floating tubes DO come in to play, is barrel torque being induced by loading the bipods. Let's say we are talking about a 24" barrel (INSERT NAME HERE) AR-10 style platform. You have a heavy contour match grade barrel in it, and it has a rifle length free floating tube on it. In terms of shooting prone, you can load into that bipod heavily, and since the torque will be transferred into the reciever via the barrel nut, induced torque will be minimal.

In the case of the PWS series rifles, they are intended to be hand held battle rifles. I am shooting mine off of bipods, and find that they are every bit as accurate as I expected them to be. They are using a very quality barrel, with a chamber cut to tight tollerances that still afford reliablility. The gas block on the PWS rifle is HUGE, and this is due to the size of the piston / op rod that lives in the upper gas tube. They wanted to keep the upper rail standard with all other AR type accessories, and not give a wonky cheek to stock weld.

It is very possible to load the MK2 series rifle with a bipod, lean into it, and cause the groups to open up. But, knowing the cause and effect of this, compared with the absolute softest recoil I have ever felt on an AR-10, lack of muzzle jump, there is no need to load the bipod that I have found.

Knowing that, you can glean enough accuracy out of this rifle to be competitive, and rely on it to shoot when you pull the trigger.

Knowing is half the battle.

I hope this is clearer than mud, and these are my own findings. Not to be taken as the gospel.

I do emplore you though... find someone that owns a GAP Bolt gun, or an Accuracy International... and ask them to let you clamp a nice chunk of medal about 14" down the length of their barrel... see what they say to you.

Bolt guns that are bedded and floated, make sense. AR's... well, that's apples and oranges.

Cheers!!!

Adding now, for simplification...

It is a known fact that an AR style precision rig is a bit more touchy to shoot than a bolt gun of the same caliber. Not saying that bolt guns do not take skill to shoot accurately, that is as far from the truth as you can get. But, the recoil pulses in the two platforms are remarkably different. So much so, as to someone that can shoot a bolt gun very, very well... may never be able to "drive" an AR style rifle to the level of accuracy he or she gets with their bolt rifle.

It's the nature of the beast. I love bolt action rifles. It is the true heart of our craft... but, I also love the AR style rifle. It makes me focus on my fundamentals, my follow through, and I know that for it to shoot the way I want it to shoot, I am the limiting factor. My rifle has more harmonics in it, has more recoil action going on inside of it, and I have to be ULTRA sharp to make it hit where I want it to hit.

My super accurate bolt gun is there. It is a constant. I know when I do something wrong, it is MY fault...

I advise everyone... don't get wrapped up in semantics. Shoot your rifle. KNOW your rifle. Know the in's and out's of it completely. You must be very intimate with your rig, to realize it's full potential...

I hope this helps Brother. Just ramblings from a hard use guy... definitely NOT an expert.

Cheers!

In the more science point of view that DMack is saying. read This <span style="font-weight: bold">Lilja link</span>

After talking to to DMack before this post even started, I told him I think why this rifle does so well with a short barrel is the same principle of the older benchrest 1980's - 1990's barrel block setup's.

I feel the PWS at 14.5" works the same way, where the upper receiver is floating on the pin's more or less, and the handguard attached by tension and screws works like a bedding block and after the gas block the barrel is floated in the truest since.

Also the rifle has a almost no recoil impulse. So this prevents the shooter from loading the front rest with a load of pressure. Basically the rifle just sits on the ground with the same level of force from shot to shot. So no unusual interference gets in the way of the accuracy of the rifle.

DMack, when you get a chance, take a 2x4 and nail in two yard nails in it. Then drive it in the ground and front load the bi-pod. that would be a good test to see if you get any interference from a heavy bi-pod load or not.

Just an idea.

John

Oh,

for you new kids on the block, no pun intended.

Barrel blocks:

Shehane_MBR_PaintWEB.jpg

Svetozar.jpg

Red_Maxi_Tracker.jpg

mystictopx620.jpg

Do not tell me it does not work. It has for YEARS!!!!

John

I appreciate all the info and that was definitely a good article to read and I would like to pass it on to my friend who is getting serious about precision shooting! PWS never ceases to amaze me. The MK2 series seems like a perfect multi purpose rifle with all the info I just received.

Like I posted. I THINK this is whats going on.

to me it makes since, and if my thinking is right, I do not know if it was a designed as to be a barrel block per-say. I do know that a good design, is just that good work, and done right. Thats what the PWS brings to the table, a high quality design, that is unique and works as needed.

John

Correct me if I read some of the info wrong but it sounds like the piston block on PWS rifles works similar to a free float system. I also understand now that free float systems are vital to the harmonics and natural natural movement of the barrel, I realize now that my question was a little silly!

BM,

Actually, the gas block on the PWS system is so large, that it doesn't seem to have much effect on the barrel at all. PWS is very much into SHORT barreled rifles, and never intended their rifles to be "precision" rigs.

Their design is much like the AK system. The PWS system has a floating piston that is attached to the operating rod by a captured pin. This system is actuated by the gas pressure, and does not strike the bolt carrier in any way. It rides the gas pressure to the rear of it's stroke, and the dead blow buffer tube decreases felt recoil.

In conjunction with the short / stiff barrels, and excellent muzzle devices that PWS makes, these rifles shoot incredibly soft.

Based on my findings with the MK1 series, I decided to deploy a MK2 system as a Law Enforcement Precision Rifle. At first I didn't know how it would do. But, this rifle has suprised me beyond my expectations.

The barrel blocks that John described have been around for years. They work...

Gotcha, and I have to agree the only reason I bought a second PWS is because the piston doesn't slam into the bolt. The only complaint that I would have about the muzzle brakes are the fact that my ears feel like they want to bleed! I haven't tried to shoot the 214 with ear pro but my 116 kills! The next time I am back in Idaho I will have to try some percision shooting though, I was reading some of your techniques on facebook and I can't wait to try them out.

Edit*** I really really like the one piece piston I am use to cleaning my rilfe after every trip to the range but with PWS rifles it is pointless. Also funny you mention the AK47 comparison, because about two months ago I was trying to explain that over on M4C and I was banned for life!

Hearing is a fleeting gift. I have had my hearing damaged beyond repair... so, I never, EVER fire without ear protection. Let me know if you have any issues at all with your techniques... I will be glad to guide you, as much as I can, via written text. Or you can feel free to give me a shout on the phone.

I'm all about paying it forward.

Where do you think the "MK" came from in their nomenclature?

It's a hybrid of M4 and AK... hence... "MK".

Banned for life... that's hillarious. But, it figures.

Ahh crap! there it was in front of my face and I didn't see it, the MK makes sense now. And after the ear pro comment I made I realize how stupid I sound, truth is I had driven about an hour out to the hills and left my ear pro on the counter it was a stupid mistake, I ended up having to turn around anyways because the brake was unbearable. I definitely have learned my lesson since then!

well i think im sold on the pws mk21# . Leaning slightly toward a 214 as I'm try to go as short and light as possible as this would be wearing a huge can on the front. Anyone know someone stocking the 214? I was sent a pm about a store with a 216...but the 214 is calling my wallet.

I fired different 7.62x51 my heart and mind keep saying PWS! lol! you will never regret this rifle.. I choose wisely
grin.gif

An MK214 with a can is a two stamp rifle.
An MK216 with a can only requires one stamp.

The MK214 has a shorter buffer and tube that is creating a challenge to add enough weight to function properly with a suppressor and the MK216 uses a longer buffer and tube and I believe the H3 buffer will work in this setup.
I would go with the MK216 if you plan on suppressing it and the MK214 if not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RonPogi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't know that they have different buffer tube.. </div></div>

The MK216 has an 8” OAL buffer tube and a standard 3 ¼” AR-15 Carbine buffer.

The MK214 has an 7 ¼” OAL buffer tube and uses the 2 ½” 308 Carbine buffer

I would have switched buffer tubes but my PWS MK214 short buffer tube has been modified for a Magpul UBR stock so I’m married to it for now.

The MK214 does not require a stamp unless you opt for a non pinned muzzle device. In that case I would go to the MK212. The MK214 is NFA legal with the pinned muzzle device. I covered this in the thread here, several times.

When choosing the rifle for this experiement, I was originally going to do it with the MK212. But, after speaking with Todd at length, we decided that the 214 would be a better choice for me, so I wouldn't have to get another stamp on my trust. I also chose the PRC for the muzzle device, to fit my intended use better than the FSC30.

If you want the MK214 and want to run a Suppressor on it, then let PWS know before they attach the muzzle device, and they can add the device of your choice.

PWS does one thing well, that's SBRs. They really have their game on when it comes to these short barreled rifles.

Are you positive on the buffer tube information?

on the 214 the suppressor mount i planned on using is 2" by itself so the sbr tax should be avoided. Just sent payment on a used one i found so I'll see what i can work with.

Roby,

The information posted about the buffer tubes being different is not factual, as to my knowledge. I do not know this for sure at this time, so I have an email out to Todd and Stacey now, for verification. I have several PWS rifles, and I have NEVER noticed a difference in buffer tube lengths. It would not make sense to use two different buffer tubes / buffers, on two different rifles that share the exact same gas tube / piston system. If the gas tube was different, and the cycling of the operating system needed tweaks and such, then I could see that.

So, I will add the correct information as soon as I hear from PWS.

In the future, I emplore anyone posting in this thread, to refrain from data that is not factual. It does no one any good to read information that is not correct. I am not pushing these rifles for sale, I do not work for PWS.

But, when I undertook this project, I did so on my own free will to provide the consumer with fair, unbiased review on a rifle system that is not well known outside of some elite circles.

If I add incorrect information, then I will most certainly correct myself.

I will add the buffer tube information as soon as I hear from PWS.

As for your choice to buy a MK214, if you are buying used, be advised that the muzzle device is pinned on / permanently attached. If you want to run a can on the MK214, you will have to modify it a bit. The Gemtech HALO will work with the FSC, at least I know it does on the MK1 series rifles.

I never planned on running a can on my MK214, so it was not a concern to me.

Again, I am not flaming anyone here. I just want the most accurate data pushed forward.

Cheers,

DMack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">on the 214 the suppressor mount i planned on using is 2" by itself so the sbr tax should be avoided. Just sent payment on a used one i found so I'll see what i can work with. </div></div>

I incorrectly assumed you would use a thread on suppressor and you are correct with a pinned 2” attachment the MK214 would not need stamp.
Good luck with your project and I apologize for the confusion.

JM,

Thank you for writing to me and clarifying things a bit. As stated, I am only wishing to provide facts here, and show how versatile these rifles are.

I am anxious to hear how you are progressing with your project. Please feel free to add pictures, personal recommendations, etc...

I know there are those out there, interested in running a suppressor on the MK2 series rifle. I am not doing that, so I can't add information in regards to that...

Your contributions will greatly add to this thread.

Cheers,

DMack

At this point I would recommend anyone wanting to run a suppressor on a PWS MK2 rifle contact Primary Weapons directly as I’m not an employee nor do I represent them.

What I will say is I have had to modify the MK214’s gas port size as well as add weight to get it to run and the guys at PWS are well aware of these changes. I think it’s best to let them recommend them if they think it’s appropriate as some of these changes are permanent and very well may void any factory support or warranty.

JM,

Roger that... good call. I'm not planning on suppressing my MK214, but in the event that I ever do, I will definitely be on the horn with PWS.

I wanted to use the PRS on my MK2, but after speaking with Todd in reference to the Enhanced Buffer Tube with it's Dead Blow Buffer working in conjunction with the PRC, I decided to run it with the VLTOR EMOD as shipped. I'm glad I did.

By changing the buffer tube out to a normal MISPEC tube, I would lose the dead blow inside the PWS tube, and I can assure everyone, that it works.

Again, thank you so much for the clarification. I am still a student of the art, and I learn from every interraction that I have. PWS is still a small company, but they really strive to delever top shelf products and are very much open to what the customer wants.

I'm stuck in class for two weeks, TDY, when all I can think about is getting back out and shooting some more. I have a few experiements I need to do.

My near term goals are to shoot some definitive groups with several different loads, and also do what JB advised... load up my bipods, and see if I can induce a POI shift.

Cheers!

J Mack: No biggie. I have a couple cans, sbrs, and two F.A. so I've been through the process and understand the barrel length restrictions. What can were you running and how much did you end up enlarging the gas port? For weighting up, do you mean in the buffer?

DMack,
What Geissele trigger are you using in your 214?

I have the SD-E in my MK214. It's basically the SSA-E with a flat trigger bow...

I love it for my application.

Love the SD-E. Man, I wish I was closer - I'd like to lay a hand on your rifle. Out here in the boondocks, I've yet to behold a PWS other than in pictures.

Brother.. I'd let you run it till you were tired.. she's tough. She can take it! I would only caution ya that to run one is to buy one...

ROBY,
For the MK214 you’ll need to reduce the gas port size by at least half and you will end up with an eight ounce buffer if you can find a premade .308 carbine buffer that heavy. Also when you get your rifle you will notice a snap ring groove at the end of the bolt carrier to allow you to also add weight to the bolt carrier with 5/8” round stock and a snap ring to hold it in place.
A full length of steel adds 3.2 ounces to the bolt carrier and the factory buffer weighs 3.4 ounces so you might find some other combination to get you the additional weight you need.

This will be a good starting point but as I said above I would put a call into PWS and talk to them about how they recommend you go about it.

FYI: I’m using the single-stage JP EZ trigger #JPFCP-1EZ in my MK2 and have well over 1000 rounds now without any issues. It brakes very clean at 4LBS with adjustable over travel it has a very short reset.

Ron,

The tightest group to date out of the MK214 was with 7.62x51 FGMM in 175 Grain. It runs very well with that ammo. The 175 grain .308 runs well too, but I have not shot it extensively. The most time I have, is with 168 grain .308 FGMM. It's what I was running with Battle Axe at the 850 yard range. It runs VERY well, and seems to fly stable enough to make impressive hits out to 850 yards, on steel. My set up seems to be a very workable one, in regards to accuracy.

Now, you DO have to drive this gun. It's short, it's light, and it's touchy. But, it's accurate, and highly reliable.

My SN3 on top of this shorty, adds a lot of weight. The rifle REALLY needs the SN3 in 1.8-10 for I feel that would be the perfect glass for this rifle.

I'm going to be loading up some 155 grain A-Max very soon, to try to get more velocity / flatter trajectory. I'm working with John Boyette and one of my local LEO buddys to get the load data / recipe for the 155's... I will post results here, once we get it running.

Cheers,

DMack

Here is the deal with suppressors on the PWS MK2 series rifles.

A suppressor is not a "one size fits all" sort of piece of kit. It is an accessory. Just that. Not all suppressors are the same. There is no MILSPEC to standardize them. That's why they vary in price, weight, materials, etc. They effect gas pressures differently, and each has it's on pro's and con's.

PWS came out of the gate, using an adjustable gas block. But, unfortunately, not all consumers are "gun guys" and not all consumers "get it". So, if you add an adjustable gas block, to a production weapon, invariably, some consumer will get that rifle, and turn the gas block to "S" because they want to soften up the recoil. This causes reliability issues. So, consumer calls factory, crying about how "my gun doesn't run"... so, PWS decided to keep it simple. Their gas piston simple is that. SIMPLE. Nothing to fail. No knobs to adjust. Feed the thing a steady supply of ammo, and run the snot out of it.

When you get into putting a can on a rifle, especially a gas operated rifle, you open pandora's box. You CAN run a suppressor on their MK1 series 5.56 rifles, with great success. The worst thing is, you may have to add weight to the buffer, or a different buffer spring. Again, you have to TUNE the rifle, to the can. Novel, eh?

Now, add the upgraded pressure of the .308 round, and the higher gas pressures, different suppressor manufacturers, etc... and you start opening that pandora's box wider.

PWS builds hard use battle rifles. Rifles that go bang, when you pull the trigger. I'm not saying you "can't" run a suppressor on the MK2 series rifles, I am saying that if you do, you have to make it work.

Most teams that run suppressed rifles, run the can on it all the time. You set it, and forget it. But, Black Ops, Call of Duty, etc... has set the stage to where suppressors are the kit de jour and we all want really cool QD mufflers on our rifles.

When I spec'd my MK214, I knew I would not be running a suppressor on it. I wanted the smallest, most accurate, reliable hammer I could wield in a LEO / Marksman setting. I have that in the MK214.

This rifle impresses the hell out of me. It impresses the hell out of everyone that runs it.

If anyone here wants to know about running a suppressor on the MK2 series rifles, please call PWS and discuss it with them. I know they are very, VERY suppressor friendly at PWS. I also know they are working closely with several designs to make the MK2 series rifle run suppressed. However, if it were that easy, or if there was a single way to do it, everyone would do it.

I'm sure that once you research the .308 gas gun world, suppressors are a hit or miss thing. If your gun runs well with a certain load, use THAT load ALL the time. Leave the can on it, and shoot it.

I'm working on my MK110 becoming my all time, fully suppressed rifle. But, that's another thread...

I am by NO means an industry expert on this. I just know what I have seen first hand, on the range. .223 / 5.56 works well with suppressors... 7.62x51 / .308 does not.

Just adding to the mix here...

Cheers...

DMack

Dmack Sir,

You mentioned you fired your rifle with this ammo PRVI PARTISAN and Federal Premium Gold Match. Can you tell us or which do you prefer to use ammo between PRVI and FGM with this rifle?

Thanks
Ron

Hands down, FGMM. The privi runs fine, just won't produce one hole groups, at least I can't with it. For shooting steel, privi is fine. Much cheaper too. I will be experimenting with other bullets soon.

I finally got to put DMack's 214 through its paces today so I thought I'd post my impressions. I've fondled it several times but this is my first time sending rounds down range with it.

DMack was having a bit of an off day so he tossed me the keys and it was an interesting ride. Just sitting behind it I was thinking...no freakin way am I going to perform with this thing. Not because of what it is, but because of what it is not.

It's not a "precision" rig in the context of a GAP10, M110 or "insert name here" precision auto and in fairness you really can't judge it that way or you'd miss the mark completely. It's too short, it's too light, and it almost feels wobbly/jumpy shooting from a bipod. The stock offers no cheek rest so obtaining a repeatable cheek weld is...well...you can't obtain a repeatable cheek weld. The barrell isn't floated so you can't load the bipod either. The last handicap was likely the use of 168's at 850 with a breeze...175's would have likely performed better.

In short this thing has nothing going for it in the precision realm. That is... until the trigger breaks and you just sit there thinking WTF?????

I had zero trigger time with this rig nor with any piston gun outside of M1A territory and nailed my 1st 850 shot. In fact I nailed practically every shot I took at both 600 and 850 maybe missing 3 shots out of around 30. I think maybe one group was at the 1moa mark (included fliers) but it was surprising how easy it was to tag steel at distance with such a platform regardless of group size. Staying on target was easier than on any rifle I've ever fired and recoil is merely a light push rearward with virtually no muzzle jump.

After I finished, DMack shot a few more magazines and we tore it down to look at the internals. Having seen on several occasions how much lead he passes through this thing I don't doubt his round count claims for a second, and whats impressive is the lack of any discernable wear marks on the BCG beyond what you'd expect to see on a gas gun with a round count of 1000. In fact I held the BCG after a fairly quick 100 rounds went through it and it couldn't have been more than 100-105 degrees.

In the end the only way I could classify this rig would be to call it a battle rifle. To have that much accurate firepower in such a short light package is a force multiplier to say the least. If I didn't already own 3- .308's it would be very hard for me not to break out the checkbook, and I'm still trying to convince myself that I don't need one. Damn sweet rig! DMack should have pics of my targets up soon.

It was great watching you shoot this rifle today... I was anxious to get your thoughts on it. I will post the groups you shot tomorrow when I get home from work...

Your observations are spot on... As always.

Great day today. Can't wait till next time!

Back atcha bro. I'd really like to see these guys try their hand at a dedicated precision rig. Might be scary.