• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Quality Knifes?

I love my Knives of Alaska Alpha wolf. I have it in D2 and it has treated me very well. The first year I got it, we dressed, skinned, and cut up 5 deer before I even thought about sharpening the blade. This was a few years ago and I have not changed my mind since. They also have it in S30V if you prefer.

As far as the gut hook... I don't use them anymore. You might like the Kershaw Zip-it if you don't mind individual tools per task.

I love the customs too but I end up looking at them more than using them. Best of luck with your decision OP.

I love my Knives of Alaska Alpha wolf. I have it in D2 and it has treated me very well. The first year I got it, we dressed, skinned, and cut up 5 deer before I even thought about sharpening the blade. This was a few years ago and I have not changed my mind since. They also have it in S30V if you prefer.

As far as the gut hook... I don't use them anymore. You might like the Kershaw Zip-it if you don't mind individual tools per task.

I love the customs too but I end up looking at them more than using them. Best of luck with your decision OP.

I tend to be rough on knives, I use the same knife to skin deer as I do to clear shooting lanes. Some of these custom knives are to pretty for me, how do Esse knives compare, any feedback?

I really like my ESEE 4 and 5... A 3 might be just right for your purposes as the 4 is a bit too big for deer if you have the choice.

Esee knives take an edge easily and hold it reasonably well. You can beat the piss out of them and as long as you're alright with dings in the finish, put an edge on when necessary. I haven't processed any deer with my ESEEs but only because that isn't what I got them for. Seems like you're on the right track for your purposes...

Three of my "better" knives. Chris Reeve, Randall and Black Jack

egcpko.jpg

I have a pair of Gene Ingram knives and they are great but if you want a custom knife from him you are going to wait. I waited almost 3 years for mine. There are some dealers that carry his knives though if you don't want to wait.

Here are my 2. They are both D2 steel.

Helmetmount018.jpg

Bad news for Fans of Gene,
He wrecked his 4 wheeler last November. He is not taking any new work and is pretty backlogged. I got a note from him not too long ago, and he was apologizing for not knowing when or if my next order would ship.

Those are a couple of Dandys!

I have a friend who makes knives. It is his hobby, but he does sell a few. He suggested KOA based on quality of materials, cost, and workmanship.
I have had the elk hunter for 5 yrs. A full elk and deer quartered and no issues, still sharp enough for another. No issues with rust in the D2. Will be carrying a filet knife as well this year, going to "bone out" to save packout weight as we backcountry hunt on foot.

Two trains of thought:
1. If it's just for skinning, I'd go with the Havalon Piranta. They are cheap & sharp.
2. if you want something with some backbone, or a lifelong knife you can pass down, I'd go with a Daniel Winkler, or a Chris Reeve. Daniel Winkler designs some of the knives used in Spec-Ops, so they've definitely designedto take a beating!
Just my $.02

OP, there are some works of art on this thread, but don't be 'feared of knives of Alaska. I bought some for my old man and boning pork shoulders when we cook for the US Soldiers Foundation. He's not a techie or toolie at all, he washes them after a cook and leaves them stuck to the knife magnet in the outdoor kitchen for the next cook. No issues with rusting in almost three years now.

Cheers,
Breeze