• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about changing LM308MWS to side charging

pahoben

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2010
TX, USA
I also just got my LM308 and would like to change out the stock to a PRS. I think the cheek weld in up position may interfere with the T charging handle. I asked a reputable gunsmith today about moding to side charging. He said that he wouldn't do it because the work on the receiver made the gun dangerous on AR's by weakening an already weak receiver.

Anyone have any advice or thoughts on this? There are a whole lot of AR's out there wuth PRS butt stock so I do not know what to make of this.

Thanks,
pahoben

Re: Question about changing LM308MWS to side charging

He's an ...Um never mind...AR recievers have nothing to do with the strength of the gun it simply provides a tube for the barrel to be bolted to and the bolt to recipricate in.

On a side note if you get the PRS for an ar10 it will not interfere with the charging handle.The saddle is cut different just a thought.

Thanks for the info dmg.

For some reason gunsmiths tend to be an ill tempered lot.

Does anyone know of a good gunsmith for AR's in the Houston area?

I would just buy a PRS that is made for an AR308 or the receiver extension - basically you want another 1/2-3/4" clearance for the cheek riser thing. If you don't mind cutting it yourself you can use an ar15 one too. I would be hesitant about cutting into the receiver for a PRS when there is no need to do so.

Thanks for the info. I did order a 308 prs and now understand how to proceed.