• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Question about lathe purchase

hibc

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
Knoxville, T.N.
Can a mini lathe do the things that I need it to do to my own rifles? Can you use them to rebarrel, blueprint and true, ect....
or do you have to have one of the monster size lathes that takes a forklift to move?

Re: Question about lathe purchase

For 20 years I have been doing simple diagnose and small repairs and I am older and more mature now and have learned a lot over the years. I want to go to the next level and learn the plumbing side of it.

Im going with a Grizzly. If your talking about the MINI Lathes that come from Harbor Freight, well I wouldn't but I'm nobody.

No, I wouldnt buy a piece of shit like that, Ive heard nothing but bad about them, but I am talking about a mini lathe, a small one.

if by mini-lathe you mean something with 12" between centers, i will say no, you can't do rifle work on one. the spindle bore will be too small to fit a barrel through it and it won't have enough length to work between centers.

Most all of the mini lathes are too small and lack the power for barrel work, they will make other small parts. Take your time look, search, study, save up and buy a well built machine don't buy junk. If you watch GSA and Government Liquidation websites small lathes come up all the time. I purchased a SouthBend Heavy 10 that was like new for just over $1000.00 from the GSA. Milling machines and drill presses also come up for bid. Craigslist, Ebay & Practical Machinist websites all can produce nice machines. Most American, Canadian, English and European made machines are good to excellent for Gunsmith use. The Grizzly lathes have had a spotted past, but their quality has improved in the last few years. Some of the machines from the far east are good quality most however are pure junk. I personally use a 13" Colchester and a South Bend Heavy 10. A fifty year old quality made lathe will out last and out preform a newer low quality machine. I wish you the best in your quest to purchase a quality lathe.

The biggest things on any lathe, in my opinion is the size of the bore hole and distance between centers. If you are able to stick a barrel trough and have enough to turn between then you are good to go. Make sure the lathe is balanced and well mounted also.

Probably not. Spindle hole is probably to small and you would be lucky to get a 14" barrel in it.

No, I have a Grizzly 9x19. As stated, spindle bore is too small. It's only .75" Forget the mini lathes for gunsmithing. They're way too small for the job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hibc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is a 9x19 big enough?</div></div>

Probably not, the spindle bore tends to be proportionate in size to the swing of a lathe, roughly. The spindle bore in a 9" lathe is probably going to be too small. You're either going to have to go through the headstock or between centers for the barrel work, so you either need enough bore size or enough bed length to accomplish this, preferably both. Something with 1.5"+/- spindle bore, 30" +/- between centers and a short distance through the headstock should make a pretty versitile lathe for gunsmithing.

check craigs list in your area. there is a nice one in my area for $2500, 36" with a taper cutting attachment. i want it, lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hibc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can a mini lathe do the things that I need it to do to my own rifles? Can you use them to rebarrel, blueprint and true, ect....
or do you have to have one of the monster size lathes that takes a forklift to move? </div></div>

To answer your questions:
no
yes

As others pointed out you need more than an inch spindle bore and you want to be able to handle 30 inches between centers. It will take a forklift or equivalent to move it. I have a 70hp John Deere tractor with a front end loader and I moved mine with pallet forks and the tractor. We moved it into place in the shop with a 4 ton engine hoist.
Plan on getting a larger lathe than you have in mind. I bought the grizzly 4003g and it works well for me.