• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

question about the ladder/nodes

copterdrvr

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2012
Lafayette, Looziana
Can the people that have done the node tests at 300 yards give me an idea of the typical vertical spread you get with 308 and 223 ammo? I'm trying to figure out the size of the target I'll need to use for each caliber at 300 yards to capture all of the shots.

My plan was to sight in to P.O.I. with some extra rounds loaded to match the middle of the powder load. This should give me a better opportunity to keep all of the shots in a smaller area of a target as the lighter loads/lower velocity loads should balance out below the "reference" and likewise the higher velocity loads should balance out above the "reference" point.

First off--does this even make sense? It seems logical that as the velocities increase the P.O.I. will rise and if I sight the rifles to strike my aiming point using the middle powder load I will have less of a vertical spread above and below the aiming point...

Anyway, if this does make sense-what is the vertical spread I can expect with these two calibers? I'll be shooting 150, 155 and 168 grain 308 and 55 and 69 grain 223.

Is there a program that I could plug the bullet weights and velocities (taken from loading data) that would give me an idea without a big hassle?

Thanks

Copterdrvr

On a accurate rifle the total vertical will be around 5-6". If the wind is down the horizontal is a little less.

Pick a calm morning and let your barrel cool between shots.

Fire 5 shots to foul and warm the barrel before you start.

Awesome info-thanks a lot!

Both of the rifles I'll be shooting have fired many .3 MOA groups at 100 yards. The range I now shoot at goes to 300 yards and I want to cook up the best loads for the available range.

I use H4895 for both calibers and was planning to use the recommended powder charges from Hodgdens lowest published to highest published and you're pretty confident that 6 inches will cover the spread?

Thanks again for the info!