• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question for backpacking/hiking/camping experts

CCooper

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 20, 2009
Hoschton, GA
Hey fellows, I'm about to get pretty serious about backpacking and hiking with some camping thrown in. I need some advice on gear-primarily backpacks. I've been researching for a couple of days now and so far like the Kelty Redwing 3100 the most. My questions are:
1)Who are the top/best backpack companies to consider. I don't mind spending decent $ as long as I get something worth it. I am primarily looking for durabilty and ruggedness. Weight does not concern me that much, but correct me if I should be more concerned about it.
2)What size? I've done several 6-8 mile dayhikes this past winter, but want to exceed that by a good bit into the backcountry with maybe 1-2 nights camping needed. Is this 3100 mentioned above adequate for that, or should I be looking @ the 5000ish size bags. These longer trips will also hopefully involve hunting with a rifle or bow.
3)Internal frame or external? It seems everything is headed towards internal frames, but this backpacking guru on youtube (Nutnfancy) still seems to favor the externals. I do like the way you can tie your tent, bag and mat onto the externals w'out taking up inside space.

Also any quick advice on the portable (extremely small) stove systems would be appreciated. I went into REI the other day and was amazed by these. They are the ones, that folded, will fit in the palm of your hand and they screw onto the top of the canister of fuel. Thanks

Re: Question for backpacking/hiking/camping experts

I may be biased, but I have an Osprey Aether 70 liter (aprox 4200 CI) and I love it. Osprey is a great company, and their products can be found at REI. I have taken this back on several 5-6 day trips in the last 3 years, and many more smaller outings as well. I am leaving Sunday for a 6 day killer in the Wind River Range in Wyoming. My pack loaded now (water included) weighs 45.5 lbs and I still have room for a few more things if I want.

Volume is an important when deciding what kind of pack to get. It always seems that the larger the pack I have, the more I put in it, even if I'm not staying any longer than usual. So I decided to go for a pack with midrange volume to limit what I can take so I don't overload myself, and one that would be comfortable but not too heavy on the padding. I found the Osprey Aether and never looked back.

If the Osprey isn't your cup of tea, I would recommend looking at the REI brand packs. They are a great product and cost much less than the bigger names. If money is no issue, it would probably be a good idea to look into Ace'tryx. They are another really good company with an awesome product, but they are quite pricy.

Kelty makes a good pack. My favorites are Osprey and Arc'teryx. When I wanted a big pack, I went with the Osprey Crescent 110 and have no regrets.

Size, features, and name should take a back seat to quality of construction and how the pack fits you. The top-rated pack, having all the room you need and none that you don't, made by the best company in the world will run you into the ground by day 2 if it doesn't fit properly. Spend some time trying on packs with weight added to them. Any REI will have folks who can spend hours with you doing this.

Internal/external? I'd base that decision again on comfort. Some will have pressure points, some will fit like they were made for you. It's easier to lash stuff to an external such as a cape/meat that you wouldn't want inside, but many will not conform to your body as well as an internal. Climbing, uneven terrain, and tricky spots are more easily negotiated with an internal that hugs your back.

I've done 3-day trips with a 2400ci but had to reduce the load to bare essentials. Much more pleasant with some room to spare. That said, I have maxed out the Crescent 110 but it wasn't my idea of a good time.

Decide if you want to go ultra lite or mountaineering type hiking and packing. For the former Granite Gear makes some good packs. For the latter scour craigslist for Dana Design Boseman MT made packs.

4200 is too small for year around. The ultra lite packs work up to and only up to their specific max weight, generally in the 30 lbs range.

My winter loadout, even for one night, is 55 pounds and goes up with food and any other task specific gear. Add a rifle and ammo and you break the 70 lb barrier real fast.

Best of both worlds is scour craigslist for Granite Gear ultralite AND Dana packs...

Lastly, dig around and find a copy of Colin Fletcher's "The Complete Walker" book. It will show you just how unimportant all of the latest up to date obsolete gear is that you can't live without, you really can live without.

Get the biggest one that fits your stature (or can be adjusted to fit you) everything about winter camping is big and if you also hunt that will require more & more gear. Internal fame would be my choice. Top pocket should be on straps both sides to allow for extension (aka more space) LoweAlpine etc would be where I'd start.

Winter camping is a war of attrition in my experience. Keeping warm, dry and hydrated takes a lot of effort/planning.

Good luck.

RJ

I've got a Dana Design Terraplane ~6000 cu in, an Arcteryx ~ 4500 cu in, 2 Cilo Gear mountaineering packs (45 liter and 60 liter), and an ultralight pack made by ULA. And I'm currently having Dan McHale build me a big custom loadhauler of a pack.

My favorite overall pack is a Dana Designs (now Mystery Ranch) Terraplane that I've had for 17 years. Family backpacking, hunting, big loads, it's a great sack.

The ultralight packs are great for ultralight loads, and I've climbed Ranier twice with the ULA pack and 30-40 lb of gear.

But the ultralights just don't afford the mechanical advantage of the bigger heavier packs for bigger loads, say 45 lb and up.

I've loaded the Dana with 85 lb and didn't enjoy it, but the pack supported the load and kept it on my hips. Overall I'd take a heavier stouter-framed pack for my first, then fill in the "niche" packs after you have a do-it-all load hauler.

There are lots of great packs out there today. I'd recommend hauling a duffel bag full of the gear you plan to carry in your pack to the store, load it in a number of packs, have the sales people fit you, and try some of them out.

If you have an REI store available, go there. They always seem to have knowledgable folks on staff and they have a no-questions-asked warranty. You can take the pack back if it doesn't work out for you.

Good Luck

Just my 0.02, for a pack -

Kifaru MMR. To Qoute Steve @ Triad " Buy once, cry once..."

https://kifaru.net/MMR.html

Not the lightest, but built like a brick shithouse, and made in the USA. Also MOLLE is awesome for versatility.

As far as stoves, that really depends on conditions. I've used white gas, isobutane, wood, and alcohol stoves.

White gas stoves are like the Leatherman of stoves. They'll burn pretty much anywere, have not had any real probs with temp and altitude with my MSR Dragonfly, but fuel spills in your pack can suck. But overall goodstove.

Isobutane, I use a MSR Superfly, been great, just fuel cans are a PITA, and altitude can make them finiky.

Wood fired stoves, well, you gotta have wood. I've made a few of my own ( which worked great, functionally, just did not pack to well.) I presenly have a Kuenzi Magic Flame, which about the only gripe I hav is weight. It's a lil heavy.

Right now my latest fav is the Trangia alcohol stove. Burns denateured alcohol, and is as simple as they come. Not the best for snow camping though, as alcohol is not the highest on the scale of BTU's.

Just my 0.02, hope this helps.

I have the Mystery Ranch CrewCab and it has been a great pack. The load cells and day pack lid make the pack very adaptable. It is on the heavy side but is built for freight hauling so you know it is sturdily built.

Well, since you posted on a rifle/gun site, I'm going to recommend Eberlestock

http://www.eberlestock.com/Just%20One.htm

Take a look at these "just one" backpacks. I have the dragonfly, and use it for camping, backpacking, hunting, shooting, and travel. It can be expanded to different sizes, etc.

I have a Kelty internal frame pack and it's taken a beating and held up well. The only thing wrong with it after years of hard use is the little mesh pockets on the sides are completely torn apart.

Based on my experience I'd say a Kelty will do you fine. Get the biggest one that fits you, the internal ones always seem to need just a little more space no matter how big they are.

Mine also has a sort of slot between the side pocket and the main pack which is perfect for holding a 30-30 or AR-15 /A3 with flipped down irons. Could also be used for a machete or shooting sticks, etc. A scoped rifle won't fit.

A company i was happily surprised with was Deuter. I have their Futura 42L AC pack and it has been all around the world with me for the past 5 years and i have never complained. There are a shit ton of good packs out there though and i think the most important thing is going to be how it fits to YOU. i dont there is one pack that i would recommend to everyone.

as far as stoves, i have a snowpeak folder i have been using for about 3 years now, again, no complaints. They make some good cooksets, i would check them out.

bottom line is, we are all different and find comfort in different features, i would find what fits you best and is also high quality/durable etc.

just as a point of interest, the Deuter i have been using is slightly smaller in volume than the kelty you are looking at but in my opinion will carry the load better even though its about 8L less in volume. Its build higher so your center of gravity is more natural and it provides more attachment points for tent, bag etc. I dont like packs like the kelty for that reason, to load them to capacity with gear for 2-3 nights makes you back heavy, its kind of a squat pack so its going to feel like you are carrying more than if it was stacked higher and resting on your hips via the waist strap.

the futura 42 has been redesigned since i had it though so take that for what its worth.

x2 Kifaru, call and they will help you get the best pack for what you want, also it will be properly sized. Made in the USA.

For cooking using a jetboil is pretty good as you can store the gas and burner in the cup and pick up the cooking pots for it as well and it stores in your pack pretty well.
Rei, Kelty, Gregory,Northface all make good packs. You need to try and decide what you are going to pack in with you and for how long and pick the pack accordingly. If your going to pack tent,sleeping pad,sleeping bag maybe an external frame might work better as you can lash them to the exterior of the pack and save the internal for food, clothes etc. Have a look at this pack.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___90295

Since you mentioned Nutnfancy look at this video as he has metioned places for packs with good prices. The packs might be discontinued but look at the sites mentioned to see what they have in their sale section.
http://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfancy#p/u/412/NwAsc06NCbk

Hope this helps.

Mac

first question--temperature range? I see you're in Georgia, are you talking backcountry in WY or MT or someplace like that?

Reason I ask is the difference between the gear you need at 10 below and the gear you need at 25 or 30 above is completely different.

I say go with the smallest pack that fits you. 3100 CI is more than enough to do 2 nights in the back country, in the Georgia winter. Maybe not enough in the north.

On the other hand, if you're gonna have one pack, it better be enough to fit all your crap on your next trip. So as mentioned above, maybe a pack in the 4500-5000 range would be a better choice. It takes a good deal of discipline to bring a 5000 ci pack on any trip and not fill it completely, though, making a pleasant hike with a 40 lb pack into a much harder slog with a 60 or 65 pound back. Esp if you're carrying a rifle.

All the above mentioned packs are a little more "pro" than the Kelty, which is decent but generally seen as "entry-level" gear. Or at least they used to be.

Far as stoves, the canister stoves are the lightest, most portable. They start to have issues around 15 degrees or below. Still workable, definitely, but you have to give them a little more lovin. They are still much easier to use than white-gas stoves, though white gas stoves are much more flexible, once you get the hang of them.

I've always used MSR, have several of their canister stoves and also their multi-fuel white gas stoves, so I can vouch for them as solid. But there are lots of other good brands.

Some of my ultra-light buddies just use homemade alcohol stoves now, FYI. Takes longer to boil water but they work and they weight almost nothing. And they're basically free.

Alright sorry +100 on "The Complete Walker" Seriously. Pick up a used copy before you buy any gear. Both a guide in terms of gear and gear use and philosophy. It's great. I tried to make my wife read it before I took her into the WY backcountry, but well, womens, she was more interested in Cosmo....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Decide if you want to go ultra lite or mountaineering type hiking and packing. For the former Granite Gear makes some good packs. For the latter scour craigslist for Dana Design Boseman MT made packs.

4200 is too small for year around. The ultra lite packs work up to and only up to their specific max weight, generally in the 30 lbs range.

My winter loadout, even for one night, is 55 pounds and goes up with food and any other task specific gear. Add a rifle and ammo and you break the 70 lb barrier real fast.

Best of both worlds is scour craigslist for Granite Gear ultralite AND Dana packs...

Lastly, dig around and find a copy of Colin Fletcher's "The Complete Walker" book. It will show you just how unimportant all of the latest up to date obsolete gear is that you can't live without, you really can live without.</div></div>

Do you recommend the original version or is The Complete Walker IV acceptable?

Yes, I'm being serious and not a smart ass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A company i was happily surprised with was Deuter. I have their Futura 42L AC pack and it has been all around the world with me for the past 5 years and i have never complained. There are a shit ton of good packs out there though and i think the most important thing is going to be how it fits to YOU. i dont there is one pack that i would recommend to everyone.

as far as stoves, i have a snowpeak folder i have been using for about 3 years now, again, no complaints. They make some good cooksets, i would check them out.

bottom line is, we are all different and find comfort in different features, i would find what fits you best and is also high quality/durable etc.

just as a point of interest, the Deuter i have been using is slightly smaller in volume than the kelty you are looking at but in my opinion will carry the load better even though its about 8L less in volume. Its build higher so your center of gravity is more natural and it provides more attachment points for tent, bag etc. I dont like packs like the kelty for that reason, to load them to capacity with gear for 2-3 nights makes you back heavy, its kind of a squat pack so its going to feel like you are carrying more than if it was stacked higher and resting on your hips via the waist strap.

the futura 42 has been redesigned since i had it though so take that for what its worth.</div></div>

I've got a Deuter Kid Comfort 2 that I put my son in to go hiking. The system that they use for adjustment is absolutely great. If your not a member at REI I'd suggest joining. Two or three times a year they have 20 percent off one item codes for members. I've saved just under a 100 bucks this year just with those. For a good backpacking stove you really can't beat the MSR Whisperlite International. Get the 11oz can to go with it and you'll be good for a few days of cooking.

Also REI every quarter? I believe has used gear sales and you can pick up some good chit for pennys on the dollar. Not sure whether you gotta be a member or not. I've been a member for almost 20 yrs.

Stoves - the MSR Whisperlite International is "the" stove. It will run on everything - white gas, unleaded, diesel, alcohol, even vegetable oil. The ones that use canisters? Laugh. Convenient, yes. That is about it. Versatile, no.

If you are serious about winter camping then the stove is paramount. Your ability to move is directly related to your ability to melt snow for water. The Whisperlite kicks ass at this, is a proven design, and is easy to work on (built in shaker jet and cleaning snake in the main tube). This becomes paramount should you use your multi-fuel stove with anything other than white gas.

I've got the complete walker 4. I'd imagine the gear choices are updated, is the main difference--the 2000's versus the mid-1970's.

Far as canister versus whisperlite, I agree with 9H, only caveat being that the whisperlite takes a little more learning to use, you have to learn how to keep the pressure in the right range in the tank. There is a bit of a learning curve, not hard though.

If SHTF, the whisperlite or dragonfly is definitely tits--they even give you extra jets to run kerosene and stuff in the stove.

But I've got both and am no longer embarrassed to use the canister in the summer or fall. It works well and is light as balls.

But again, where are you going to be camping? Did I miss that? Big difference if you're in the Rockies for winter or late fall versus being in the south. Huge difference, actually. Winter pack in the south=summer pack in the north.

Also far as internal vs external frame, the internals carry loads better, but you can strap shit onto the externals all over the place. This is only an advantage for hunting, IMHO--strapping two deer quarters onto your frame. Which you sort of need a shelf for anyway.

Having your tent, sleeping roll or other sleeping stuff outside exposed to the elements and exposed to being torn by branches etc sucks ass, by the way. You want that shit inside your pack, if it's possible, to protect it. Yeah the cowboys slept on wet blankets all the time, but it sucks and it's more "rest" than sleep. Esp if you're hunting, you want all your stuff retard-proof. It's more than a fulltime job to both hunt and manage your camp. Your average hiker who just walks from place to place is not going to really be aware of that, in terms of listening to internet gurus.

Also, you can carry deer quarters in an internal frame pack, just make sure to pack two contractor sized trash bags with you so as not to trash the inside of the pack. If you're after elk, I dunno. Maybe the guys from the Rockies can pitch in on that front.

Brunton Vapor AF. Burns anything that'll burn. Get one of their nonstick nesting sets, stick the stove inside & you're all set.

There are good and bad packs at every brand name. I have found that an external frame works better for hauling massive loads. I am an internal frame user. Typically we strive for ultralight backpacking. I mean no more than 40 lbs with 30 lbs being closer to what my buddies like. Keys to maintaining a lite configuration for me are, carry the minimal amount of water, choosing the pack that fits your application, no homelike tent. I always carry a water filter, downsides are, you stop a bit more to recharge and you may be in an area that water is not as available. For the pack, some don't realize that it may weight 15% of your total weight, downside, is it strong enough for what you are doing.You won't find many tactical packs that will haul rifles easily that don't weight 5+ lbs.

I have used several packs and a Dana Design is one of my favs. For me, 3 nights and 4 days is manageable with a 3500 ci pack. I own a MSR dragonfly but only use that on a longer trip. Otherwise it's a Jetboil. I freezer bag cook most my food after the first day. We might split a tent between 2 packs but generally I am packing an ultralight tarp. I don't carry a rambo knife but a Gerber or Leatherman is best. I rarely have many cooking utensils as the Jetboil cup or pan is adequate. At the top of importance list is a good nights sleep so an Outdoor Reasearch Exped mat to lay on.

We have pushed 10 mile days through Arkansas but that wears me out pretty good. I can't get a pack together to stay out around 2 days, cover some terrain, and hunt any less than 40 lbs. I will piggy back a system, heavy to a site, then lite to/around a hunt area.

I think the sweet spot is around 200-350$ on packs. There are better of course. I had put off the Eberlestock packs for years. Just a few months ago tried the Gunslinger 2. If I could only have 1 pack that is it now. Range bag, 50 lbs gun toter, backpacking, etc... I don't mind strapping gear on, trash bags are light and cheap.

Anyway, before you buy, make a few trips to places with packs, LOAD them up at the store then walk around and shop a bit. Most of the granola eaters will love for you to do that.

Backpacks I really like:
-Osprey Aether 70L
-Osprey Kestrel 58L for all around trips that are less than 4 days
-Gregory Baltoro 70L but it has a heavier frame then the osprey packs but I like how it carries heavier loads vs. some of the osprey packs I've used. Id say go to the store try them on with some weight and see how each pack you like feels.

Stoves that I have liked:
-For ulra-light in not freezing conditions- msr pocket rocket
-Cooking for group- msr dragonfly
-Most reliable (that I have used): whisperlite international
I have two jet boil sets but never were very fond of them. Had both break on me before even using. Msr is my favorite pack stove. Just my opinion on things I like, it surely doesn't mean its the only option or the best just what I have had good luck with.

Lot's of good pack advice on here. I own or have used one or more Bergan's, ArcTeryx, Gregory, Kifaru, Eberlestock, Jansport, Kelty and a few others. GoLite is another to look at if you want a super-light minimalist rig. Applications have included hunting, backpacking, tactical, and mountaineering. Bottom line it comes down to application and fit. If you plan on hunting in the mountains an external frame pack is nice for the ability to carry meat and horns. For anything else besides hunting and military use, weight should be your second consideration after fit. Packs are like rifles, no one does it all, and some will fit you better than others.

For civilian applications every ounce you can save will make for a more enjoyable experience. I would rather wear out a lightweight pack every few years than have a heavier pack that lasts forever.

I have an ArcTeryx pack that is basically a drybag that can be completely submerged. So that bag goes on river and caving trips and places like the Olympic Peninsula. So again, application makes a difference.

If you are on a budget and won't be operating in extreme cold, then one pack in the 70L range should suffice. You can always strap down the extra volume.

Same logic on tents, ultra-light is the way to go if you can afford it. I'm liking Nemo Equipment's tents at the moment.

On stoves check out the difference between liquid fuel and canisters. One is messy and one performs better at altitude. Lightweight wood stoves are great if the environment supports them.

On a side note, I just did a Via Ferrata climb for the first time. If any of you have thought about exposed climbing but have been stopped by gear or fear of death issues, check it out. Lot's of fun (sweaty palms) and no climbing experience required.

Arcteryx...end of story.

I have a Naos 55, and it's amazing. Comfortable with 35lb loads, and completely watertight!

If you buy a large volume pack, more than you need you will fill it up, carry too much weight, just a fact. I carried alpine packs in Alaska on 3 day trips into the backcountry with 3000ci to include winter. For guiding or longer trips, I carried 4250ci WildThings Andinista which has no peers as a pack.

If staying on established trails, consider external. Hot weather external.

If off trail backcountry then consider internal.

50/50 internal.

For a harness system, Gregory has few peers as they physically attach their stays onto the belt system on most of their packs. Works like an external for massive loads hunting with all the benefits of internal.

Osprey has come a long way in the last few years and for the average packer, a good place to start.

The best advice is to go to a shop that has a knowledgeable pack fitter and go through the steps.

I prefer piggy back or canister stoves. Their simple use and instant full heat output means I can have water boiled and hot food by the time liquid fuel stoves are assembled, primed and not spitting orange flame to full heat output. Not for winter use, just a myth, used MSR SuperFly in Alaska that is known to get a wee bit cold and never had problems melting snow for water. I am not a fan of JetBoil / Primus burner. Their personal stove boils water 8oz at a time. Their new large system is just like all others.

My MSR SuperFly tested side by side with JetBoil using JetBoil test parameters, was faster yet 1 once heavier plus MSR SuperFly has 1.5 liter pot, not 8oz cup.

Mystery ranch external alice frame is very adjustable. Feels good. Hard to beat a kelty for price and comfort.

Some great advice said already, yet I still say, go in a shop and get fitted for a pack. Gear is over rated, I say you will need 3 packs , as one pack does not fit all needs. A pack for day hikes, a nother for 2-3 days and then if you plan for week long trips another. Stoves, Had MSR but this year I went to a Soto, loving it!!!

Wow, lots of great advice. I appreciate everyone's time. I'm going to read all this a few times and research the gear mentioned and go from there. Based on what I've read so far, I'm going to plan on getting at least a couple of different packs over time to serve different purposes. I'll probaly start with a fairly light medium 3000ish pack for now. I'm going to drop by REI soon to check out some of the gear mentioned and to try some packs with weight. Does REI sell some of these nicer packs mentioned. If not where can I see them in person.

What kind of backpacking are you planning for?

Nothing beats a frame pack for carrying a load. I have carried almost 80lbs at 11,000 foot elevation and never had a balance problem or backstrain using a frame pack with GOOD suspension gear. Hipbelt and staps are critical to comfortable carry.

No internal frame bag will carry that weight or more, with the same ease and comfort. CampTrails, Kelty, Barney's of Anchorage AK all make great frame pack bags. Barney's is THE BEST..
http://www.barneyssports.com/

Colin Fletcher's The Man Who Walked Through Time and The Complete Walker are great reads. Try your library or maybe find a free download online. Big city libraries probably subscribe to Backpacker magazine and will have back-issues you can read.

Boots or trailshoes are probably your biggest item of comfort. If you live in a low-humidity area, down sleeping bags and jackets are the best insulation value going; that they are also the lightest weight is another reason to choose down. A quality sleeping pad is also critical.

Most gear selection depends on your planned activities. Trail walking means you can carry a lot. Going off-trail means an internal frame or large daypack is your best choice because you'll need full range of movement in upper torso. Read up on food an meals you can assemble in your own kitchen. Freeze dried pkgs are too bulky to rely on for more than one or two meals. Fresh food tastes better than pre-packaged meals or MREs.

Lots to consider, have fun & good luck!

Just get a Vietnam era rucksackand be done with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lonestar2436</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the Mystery Ranch CrewCab and it has been a great pack. The load cells and day pack lid make the pack very adaptable. It is on the heavy side but is built for freight hauling so you know it is sturdily built. </div></div>

That's what I use for multi day walks. Most comfortable pack I've ever used and probably the most versatile as well. I got rid of almost all my other packs once I got this. All I have left is an old Camelbak HAWG that I use for MTBing and kayaking and a Mystery Ranch 3 day assault that I put as an EDC/whatever pack after being so impressed with the CrewCab and NICE frame.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moadster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Arcteryx...end of story.
</div></div>

Arcteryx is my favorite brand for backpacks, clothing... It cost a bit more, but it is worth it. I prefer internal packs.

5000cu inch is probably a good size.

It is best to go to a local store and try several packs. 30-50lbs is a reasonable amount of weight to haul. Most retailers will let you weigh a pack down to try it out, walk around the store, go up and down stairs if you can. Take your time. Key thing to keep in mind, the bulk of the weight should ride on your hips, not your back.

I've had good luck with a Primus Omni Fuel stove. My reasoning for getting a non-canister, we climb and camp commonly above 11,000', canisters do not work well at high elevation and white gas and other types of fuel are commonly available everywhere.

We buy a lot of our clothing, gear at http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ excellent customer service.

We buy a lot of our clothing, gear at http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ excellent customer service. [/quote]

Thanks, I ran across sierratradingpost.com the other night and was very impressed by their prices. Is all their gear and boots new? They had some Asolo boots that I had been looking @ REI for $200 for $135. This looked too good to be true.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CCooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
We buy a lot of our clothing, gear at http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ excellent customer service. </div></div>

Thanks, I ran across sierratradingpost.com the other night and was very impressed by their prices. Is all their gear and boots new? They had some Asolo boots that I had been looking @ REI for $200 for $135. This looked too good to be true. [/quote]

All there stuff is new. They commonly offer last years models, guessing the model of those boots are about to be discontinued? Another quality, well thought outdoor clothing brand is Mammut (not Marmot), Sierra sometimes has this brand.

Whew! OK, backpack: your Kelty choice will serve you well unless you're going to be adding bulky weight like game, then you're stuck with external frames, and Kelty was the one everyone else had to come up to in the west. I backpacked and hobo'ed for months at a time with a redwing pack, never a problem. I'd say most important things are BOOTS, don't be quick to choose and don't look at the price tag first. If you're winter hiking, you'll want at least two pair of good wool socks inside those boots. BED - if you're going to be at or below freezing, prime, mature goose down is the only way to go, above 32 lots of options. I hiked with a a6# bag from eddie bauer back when he was still alive, lasted 27 years. I now have a feathered friends 3# bag good to 0 deg. and the MATTRESS is equally important. If you're going radical, an ensolite pad will work, but a self inflating foam mattress (thermorest) 25"wide x 56" long x 3" deep will be almost like sleeping @ home. As far as a tent goes, I use a megamid tent that is 9'sq., has no floor, (I use poncho) and only weighs 3#. Totally waterproof and has withstood sub zero weather and high winds. ... just my $0.02 worth.

When it comes to packs, internal without question. I have owned several Dana Designs, Mystery Ranch, Gregory, and Arcteryx. For me Arcteryx takes the cake. I have a Bora 95 and I love it. My second choice in Dana Designs. Although I have heard that Dana has changed hands and the quality is not what it once was.

When it comes to sleeping bags, WESTERN MOUNTAINEERING. After owning Marmot, Montbell, and Mountain Hard Wear my WM Badger is amazing. They can be hard to get at times and are not cheap but there are always people looking for used ones. I have never owned a Feathered Friends bag but I do know they make great stuff.

My choice in footwear is La Sportiva and Kayland. I have a pair of Kayland Super Rocks that seem like they have been around the world. I have used them in extended trips all over South American and Alaska. Very durable and breathable (they use eVent). The only prob. with Kayland is they don't have a huge number of dealers so trying on a pair may be difficult.

Hope my .02 helps. Feel free to ask more questions. Having the right gear can make or break a trip.

PC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just get a Vietnam era rucksackand be done with it. </div></div>
Thats what I used until about 5 years ago when I was issued the new molly stuff!

Great thread!

Thanks for all the info.

I started with Kelty and moved UP to Dana Designs (the Bozeman MT model). I have used several of the Mountain Smith which is now Kifaru. I also have several Kifaru packs. I just got a Mystery Ranch CrewCab and took it in to elk camp two weeks ago to cut firewood. It was only about 25lbs but it moved with me so well that I almost forgot that I had it on. The old Dana Design Terra Plane or Terra Frame packs are the standard that all others are held to. Some do better most do worse. The Mystery Ranch seem to be in the "do better" category. I have read good things about the Gregory and Arcteryx but have not used either.

It sure is good to have so many choices
smile.gif

Pat

I have been looking at multi fuel stoves and am having a problem deciding on one. I know the MSR whisperlite is supposed to be good minus one feature which is the plastic pump. Are there any retrofits or heavier duty pumps that could be bought for it?

I would highly recommend the Optimus Nova Stove. It is a multi fuel stove that I think is more robust than the MSR. The new version also has a control valve so that you can control the intensity of the flame. It boils water quickly and will burn almost anything. Ive burned kerosene, diesel fuel, camp fuel, gasoline, rubbing alcohol, and Nitromethane fuel with it. here is a link to it.

http://www.optimusstoves.com/seen/optimu...r/optimus-nova/

Kifaru is great for what it sounds like you are looking for. They have everything your looking for. They have the stove pipe option that breaks down if you want to go that route.

Their gear has endless option's. Internal frames/external, kuala/butt packs, hand warmer, scabbard's, stuff sacks etc etc.

You will not go wrong with Kifaru. Light weight, American made and lifetime guarentee/warranty if that means anything to you.

Go Kifaru and never look back again.

FWIW,
MS

I'll second the Kifaru recommendation. I have a ZXR and a Pointman, and have had the MMR and a ZULU. All have been great packs. The ZXR is my favorite, and is excellent for multi-day trips. I have only lived out of mine for a week at a time so far, but I could stretch that a LOT, depending on the season. I think I could easily stay out for a month to 45 days living out of this pack. (I am in the Ozarks, so all but deep winter is pretty easy to handle with minimal gear.) It should be noted that I camp more primitively than some, and depend on snares, a .22, and a fish spear for food almost as much as my dehydrated goods, so I carry less food than most. Less food and clothing, and a tarp for shelter makes for a lot of room in the pack to use in extending the trip, if needed. The more practiced you get, the less gear you have to carry. Give Kifaru a try, you won't be disappointed. Check out their shelters, too, if you use one. They have some dandy setups for cold weather.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been looking at multi fuel stoves and am having a problem deciding on one. I know the MSR whisperlite is supposed to be good minus one feature which is the plastic pump. Are there any retrofits or heavier duty pumps that could be bought for it? </div></div>

If you break the pump on this thing you are purposely abusing the crap out of it. They are not fragile.

Maybe you can bring a billet one to market?

The repair kit comes with everything to keep the stove running for many many tanks of fuel. Order it when you order the stove, store it with the stove, and it will not let you down, even if you do manage to wear it or tear an o-ring.

BTW making the pump billet would not make the o-rings last any longer. Probably shorter.

All ultralight gear makes concessions to weight. The small Coleman stoves have a lot more metal in them - Check out the Peak 1 Multifuel if you want more metal and less plastic.

Looks like they renamed it the Exponent BTW:

550B725_500.jpg

check out the "Jet boil", uses canister fuel , light compact and extreamly efficient

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been looking at multi fuel stoves and am having a problem deciding on one. I know the MSR whisperlite is supposed to be good minus one feature which is the plastic pump. Are there any retrofits or heavier duty pumps that could be bought for it? </div></div>

Plastic pumps are not a minus. MSR plastic pumps are used in Alaska known to get a wee bit cold in winter and high on the great giants by mountaineers and if plastic was as issue, MSR would have changed them.

I had MSR Firefly (best stove ever made) I got 30 years ago with a plastic pump, when I sold it last year it was still working like the first day. No cracks and its seen -50f more than once. Keep the cup and O rings lubed and I never had one issue.

Thanks! I have been thinking about a family event but didn't want to get out somewhere only to have the stove take a dump.