• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question I don't see on this thread. Anyone loading hot loads for a 44 DE?

Steventhegreat

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2022
Mn
I was told once that there is no way you can blow up a DE due to the construction. Anyone have knowledge? I'd like to load up some hot rounds.

Considering that Kentucky Ballistics guy on youtube banana peeled one, I'm gonna say no.

I don’t know about what loads will damage one. But back in the late ‘80’s my Dad got one in at his Gunsmithing shop and he was close to maximum load with Alliant 2400 and 240g Bullets to get it to cycle. Personally, I would stay within recommended ranges that will cycle the action.

Who knows what your ammo will be shot in.

Yeah, I've run some max loads through it. It sure makes a pretty fire ball.
Snapshot(3).jpg

One of my coworkers has one in .44 Mag, and said he has to load them pretty stout to get the gun to cycle.

It's a gas operated gun - so a powder that produces more gas will make it cycle easier. H110, No 11 FS, etc. Alliant 2400 doesn't produce as much gas, and would naturally require a hotter load to get it to cycle, than a comparable load with H110.

On the other hand, load it up with a fast burning powder that doesn't make a lot of gas, and you'll be way over pressure long before it'll cycle. Anybody that says you can't blow one up just doesn't know what they're talking about. If you don't believe me, try a case full of Titegroup and stand behind a tree; I can pretty much guarantee that it won't cycle, and it will blow up.