• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question on ammo testing....getting a clean sample

Cproflow

King of the Shank
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2011
Lyons, Colorado
I've been working through several brands of ammo, trying to figure out what my 455 likes best. Thus far, I've had some strong contenders (Wolk MT & SK, and CCI Mini Mags...oddly), and some not so great (CCI SV (surprised me), and Rem Subsonics (comically bad).

My question is--when testing out ammo brands, is there a 'best practice' on getting a representative sample? Specifically, some of these ammo types have considerable lubrication on them. If I am only shooting 30-50 of a certain type, and then I switch to another type, am I really getting the best results possible if there is a transition period for one lube to 'clear' and the next lube to have an effect?

Maybe another way of stating this is--How long (or how many) should I shoot to know the true result...and how many (if any) should I hold suspect upon switching, until the next ammo shows its true colors?

What are you guys doing?

Re: Question on ammo testing....getting a clean sample

Cproflow,

From what I have read on this site, shooters always suggest just cleaning the barrel between different brands of ammunition. I have read that people use a bore snake sometimes but often times people just wipe the barrel with a clean patch without solvent. Like you said, some ammunition has lube on it like SK and Eley and you typically dont want to shoot Eley bullets with SK lube in the barrel. Usually you have to "season the barrel" meaning the ammunition brand's lube coats the barrel enough for that ammunition to start showing its full potential. That why you wanna wipe the lube out of the barrel before testing between each brand of ammunition. Expect 20-50 rounds to "season the barrel" and then start looking for results for that brand of ammunition.

Some lubes are similar though, like SK Subsonic and SK Rifle Match so you wouldnt need to wipe out the lube between these two.

I hope this helps, I myself am currently doing this.

It depends on the ammo used. Some foul worse than others. If I have run copper washed and switching to plain lead, I will clean it with tight patches and Ed's Red. Maybe a bit of KG-12 for good measure. I never run a brush through a rimfire, don't see a need. I rarely run a brush through my centerfires anymore since the advent of KG-12.
For my Annie that only sees match ammo. I will simply burn off 10 or 20 of the new ammo I want to test and go from there. Its usually more for my own peace of mind as I usually see it settle down with 5 or 10 shots. Depending on what ammo you switch to, your mileage may vary.
My plinkers rarely get cleaned, if ever. Depends on what I want to do with the rifle or pistol. The Annie I use for 22TSC gets cleaned carefully, meticulously, and often(100-150 rounds).

My Savage takes 25-30 rounds of a new ammo before showing true potential

i like to use both a "clean bore" sample (the first 10-20 rounds) and a "dirty bore" sample (the subsequent rounds) to give me an idea of both sides of the coin.