• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Testing the Keystone 722 Varmint

Sum Ting Wong

Terminal Lance
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2013
Arkansas
I was in the market for a new .22 and came across the the 722 Varmint online and thought it looked interesting. I’m pretty happy with the fit and finish(though I wish the barrel was threaded), and it seems to be a decent shooter.
9E75C32A-8C25-4071-85F3-F287799CFA4B.jpeg

I was planning on testing six different ammo types, but of course I forgot the CCI SV(and the chronograph).

28A1505D-F2E1-4815-BAA2-BA13399A0C1F.jpeg

I tested the following ammo in five shot groups at 51 yards, all fed from the magazine:
Aguila Super Extra(red box)
Geco Rifle
Eley Target
Eley Subsonic
Aguila Subsonic

The rifle was sighted in with CCI SV, so I had to hold under for the Super Extra, but forgot to change back with the Geco, so the first Geco group is between targets two and five.

7D650A37-7BD1-4DA4-BA89-DDCAA7E5A229.jpeg

I thought I hit the lottery with the Geco, so went ahead and shot two more groups(with disappointing results). I need to pick up a few more brands for more testing and remember to grab the CCI SV.
The following group is 15 rounds of CCI SV from last week:
313B02E5-A393-46CD-BEFE-CF74642A56CC.jpeg

Reactions: BowChamp and todde
I found some polyurethane runs in the barrel channel that were definitely putting pressure on the barrel. My POI shifted about two inches after sanding them out.

I was able to test out some CCI SV this morning, and was pleased with the results. Not sure what happened with the 5th and 6th groups. I shot the groups in fairly fast succession but the barrel was just barely warm to the touch. These were also fired from the magazine. Maybe @justin amateur has some insight on the POI shift?

E92C48A9-8763-4B7E-8F58-1DF5D1AFD8C1.jpeg

Reactions: BowChamp
If you shot in sequence 1-2-3-4-5-6, you caught a slight right to left breeze.
1 and 2 were good for the conditions you started with.
By 3 it changed a small amount so 3 and 4 grouped left of center.
5 was the peak of the wind shift, then it dropped off a bit for 6.
Even under calm conditions, those localized thermals can push things around.
Might not show up at y'er wind flag if the thermal is in the gap between flags.

I did shoot them in that order. I didn’t really think about wind because I didn’t notice any, but that makes sense. Thanks for the observation.

Reactions: epags
Wind shifts are why I stopped shooting groups.
Sure, I have 5 shots touching, but they aren't consistent relative to my point of aim.
My scope settings match the conditions of my first groups.
As conditions change, my groups wander around so as an aggregate
they result in total spread 2 or 3 times greater than average group size.
The real challenge is attempting to punch center with every shot.
One dot, one shot, has become my preferred method of improving my skills.
I can hold center, but ammo quality and changing conditions kick my butt. :(

Reactions: Sum Ting Wong
justin amateur has give you some good advice. Shooting for score instead of group will up your skills. Also his winds flags advice will most certainly pick up your results. My advice to ones that are starting to shoot with flags is don't think about flags as finding conditions favorable, use them to tell you when to not shoot. I know that sounds like Captain obvious advice but keeping that mind set seems to speed up flag reading.
I don't own a 722, but have looked at them and it would be my choice if I ever decided to shoot ARA factory class. It looks to me to be the most potential and affordable of any factory action bolt action rifle right now.
Todd

Reactions: Sum Ting Wong