• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question on Service Record

MAHLMAN

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Picking this as perhaps the best category for this question. My wife was going through old papers today and some were from her father in WW2.

Under Decorations and Citations are the following. Awarded 4 Bronze Stars for Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes. Campaigns per LTR ETOUSA 1944. Purple Heart with 2 OLC per GO 26 Hq 357 Inf 6 Feb 1945. Silver Star per GO 176 Hq 90 Inf 6 Dec 1944. Bronze Star per GO 94 Hq 90 Inf 20 oct 44.

I am guessing he was at Normandy and have no idea if he was in the initial invasions but it appears he was there and went all the way with Patton through the Rhine. Guessing because he never said much about his time but did mention serving under Patton. It seems to me he was a fairly serious dude.

So, what can anyone tell me about this?

Just from what I read there, he was an ass kicker.

Four Bronze Stars, a Silver Star, and 3 Purple Hearts is no joke. I say three because a PH w/ 2 OLC (oak leaf clusters) means he was wounded on three separate occasions during combat operations.

He served with the 357th Infantry, 90th Infantry Division. Here's a link to a good synopsis of the formation of the unit and a timeline of their actions during WWII.

Going by the timeline of the unit and the awards, it looks like he would've landed at Normandy just after the initial invasion but fought through France near Le Mans and Metz and then took part in the Battle of the Bulge.

Try this.
There might be something there.
The GO # should help a lot also. If they have anything, the citations should give you a pretty good picture of where/ when he earned those medals.
Good luck with your search, sounds like he was a bad ass.

I hope you can find more information. The man sounds like he was put to the test and performed.

Four Bronze Stars, a Silver Star, and 3 Purple Hearts is no joke. I say three because a PH w/ 2 OLC (oak leaf clusters) means he was wounded on three separate occasions during combat operations.

He served with the 357th Infantry, 90th Infantry Division. Here's a link to a good synopsis of the formation of the unit and a timeline of their actions during WWII.

Going by the timeline of the unit and the awards, it looks like he would've landed at Normandy just after the initial invasion but fought through France near Le Mans and Metz and then took part in the Battle of the Bulge.

Exactly esp if he was enlisted... That silver star would be interesting to see the citation from the archives.

nailed it.. please keep us updated if you find the award citations, betting he was A certified Bad ass

Reactions: camocorvette
I just finished reading about the 357th infantry and it is hard to imagine that skinny little guy as I knew him when I first met him many years after the war going through this. He told my wife only one story and it was about a German soldier who was in a covered fox hole. He knew he was in there and shot through the cover and heard the guy kind of gurgle as he presumable died. For some reason out of all he had seen this was the one thing he carried with him and that really bothered him and that he confided in. I can only imagine what he chose to not talk about.

Damn boss!! Big salute to your family from another vet!!

362907-Waving-Flag-Gif.gif

Report back when you are done with the research. Bronze Stars are awarded for valor and they are also awarded for outstanding service so they were awarded in th thousands. But, Silver Stars are pretty uncommon and you might be able to find the "citation to accompany the award" might be available.

He sounds like he had an interesting time in the war.

Google might get you somewhere if you search Silver Star primarily.