• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes question on tact lights and lumens.

AFshooter

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2009
Fort Collins, Co
Looking for a tacical flashlight. How many lumens is too much?? I wanna stun someone and take away thier nv but I dont want to take mine away if the light bounces off the walls and back at me. Comments?

Re: question on tact lights and lumens.

Tactical light is considered anything greater then 50 lumens. Are you looking at a weapon light or a handheld? Led or incandescant? I deal with this question everyday so I can help you out.

Chuck

Another thing to keep in mind with the lumens rating is it only tells you how much total light output there is. It does not take into account the beam shape/diameter.

So you can have one light with a huge beam dia. that will not be as "bright" in any one spot -vs- a very tight beam dia. that will be super bright and they can have the same lumen rating.

Since most companies do not give their beam degree it makes it hard to judge. The same was true of candlepower that maglite commonly quoted, it measures how bright a beam is, but not how much total light it puts out.

That said I think in most cases you are best served by using a tactical light to illuminate/stun someone and leaving it on until the confrontation is over from that point on. In most cases if you want something bright enough to really stun someone and blow their night vision, you also impact your own night vision. You usually can't flash the light on them then turn it off without significantly affecting your own night vision, depending on the distance they are at.

Thanks for all the info. I guess I should have been more specific in the first post.

I want a handheld light, with two settings, hi to stun and low for patrols/ general use. LED or incadescant matter too much but I think I want LED. Also has to have button on the back to click on and off.

This is a good post by <span style="font-style: italic">SEARCH on CPF</span> :

60 incandescent lumens.
50 LED lumens.

At close quarters this is all it takes to see what you need to do without blinding yourself and stun others.

Yes, 200 lumens in a room will blind someone temporarily, but you will be too. Not as long though..

The question is how many lumens are too much not how many do you need.. so the answer is something like this.

If you are outside.. it does not matter as long as you aren't in a confined space like an alley or between two objects that reflects light.

If you are inside then I wouldn't go over 100-120 lumens and even with that you will more than likely deteriorate your night vision for a second.

Think about it.. Why does the FBI and US Marshalls issue the Z2 Combatlight producing 65 incandescent lumens?

There can be too much light depending on where you operate, period.

so I went to Jensens just to go look and ended up comming home with the SureFire E2D Defender. We'll see how it works at work where I split my time inside and outside. It was pretty much what I was looking for. the two settings on it are 5 lumens and then 120.

http://www.surefire.com/E2DL

I hope the link works.

Thanks for all the info, just wish I would have read it all before the impulse buy.