• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question regarding 2 different sets of RCBS 308 dies.

bruddah

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2010
Oregon
I had a set of RCBS X-dies on backorder for several months which just came in.

In the meantime, I purchased a set of RCBS FL reloading dies. Other than the fact that the X-dies are supposed to keep the brass from growing (by the brass coming into contact with a mandrel), what other differences are there?

Are BOTH sets full length dies, or is the X-die set a small based die?

I am debating taking the standard FL set back if there is no other reasonable difference.

Thanks!

Ok, after doing a bit of research, I see that the X-dies come in BOTH SB and FL. The ones I have are FL and NOT SB.

So my next question is what else is different between these two dies? I know the X-dies are made to keep your brass from growing past a certain limit once you initially trim them back.

I have to say, I really like the idea of not having to trim my brass back again over and over.

Thanks in advance!

One die will resize your brass less than the other one. I would suggest you run a trial and try and work out which die works better with your rifle.

Good luck.

JCS

One die will resize your brass less than the other one. I would suggest you run a trial and try and work out which die works better with your rifle.

Good luck.

JCS
Thanks. I was hoping to take back the standard FL die set back if the X-dies will do the same thing. I'm afraid once I use it, I won't be able to return it.

I THINK the X dies size the same as the FL dies. They differ in the type of decapping assembly they use. This is just me thinking here, not documented fact. I own SB X dies for 308 and 223. I also own std FL dies for the 223, but I can't make any comparisons in sizing abilities due to the fact I'm at work and will be for a couple more weeks. I don't see why there would be any difference in the sizing between FL dies and FL X-dies that are not SB.

ETA: the X dies do work in limiting case growth so you don't have to trim. BUT, you still need to keep an eye on the cases just above the head. As the case is re-used again and again, the brass still gets thinner at the base and instead of growing lengthwise, the cases will get thicker towards the neck-IME. The paper clip check is still a valid precaution, especially with heavier loads.

Last edited:
I THINK the X dies size the same as the FL dies. They differ in the type of decapping assembly they use. This is just me thinking here, not documented fact. I own SB X dies for 308 and 223. I also own std FL dies for the 223, but I can't make any comparisons in sizing abilities due to the fact I'm at work and will be for a couple more weeks. I don't see why there would be any difference in the sizing between FL dies and FL X-dies that are not SB.

ETA: the X dies do work in limiting case growth so you don't have to trim. BUT, you still need to keep an eye on the cases just above the head. As the case is re-used again and again, the brass still gets thinner at the base and instead of growing lengthwise, the cases will get thicker towards the neck-IME. The paper clip check is still a valid precaution, especially with heavier loads.

Thanks.
I went ahead and returned the FL standard dies.