• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Questions about my load

jazzball

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2010
I don't own a chronograph, but would still like to know the probable velocity of my accuracy load. The rifle is a .308 Win. with a 26" barrel. The load is:
155gr. A-Max
43gr. Varget
F.C. case
Fed. 210 Match primer
C.O.L. 2.815

I know that an exact velocity isn't possible without a chronograph, so, I'm just looking for a probable velocity before I start trying to stretch out my range. Thanks in advance for the help!
Jazzball

Re: Questions about my load

Not yet. I've only been shooting at 100 yards, trying to work out an accurate load. The last two groups were .453 and .440, which is about as good as I can expect from a factory rifle. Now I want to stretch it out to 500-600. I have the Hornady reloading manual, and was going to use their trajectory charts as a starting point.

If you can shoot it at 200-300 yds and gather the info, you can then enter it into JBM and get a pretty accurate velocity.

Remington 700P 26 inch barrel

155 AMax
2,800-2820 fps
IMR4895 44grs
Winchester Brass
Winchester Primers
2.815 OAL

I know its not Varget but the burn rate is very close in the manual. If you figure about 100fps less for a grain of powder I would be around 2700. Of course brass primer and chamber will also vary results. Honestly I think it would be a good load. So far on a 600yrd ladder test 43 grs IMR4895 168 Amax held the best verticle for me. Food for thought but no specifics... I do have Varget just don't have the time Lately. One thing about the 155's and Hornady's manual they're max charge was 46.4 IMR4895 for 2800 I got that+ with 44