• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions on Bergara HMR B14 bolt

GalilAce

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2022
Philadelphia
Hello everyone,

I have played AR/AK type rifles for years. I want to get my first bolt action rifle in 6.5 CM for long range. After extensive research for months, Bergara B14 HMR looks like a great entry level option under $1000. But I came cross one very negative review on Bergara's bolt. It is alarming. Posted by "Grimstod Desh" on youtube. The title is "Why Bergara Rifle bolts are BAD". I have the following questions for the experienced Bergara HMR users or Chad from Bergara if he sees this post.

1. Bolt disassembly: In Bergara's video from 5 years ago, the procedure is to put a punch through the slot to hold the firing pin, then rotate it for disassembly. In "Grimstod Desh" video, he said the bolt design was changed and you can't do as what is in Bergara's video. It is very difficult to disassemble the B14 HMR's bolt. Who is right? Any updated video on B14 HMR bolt disassembly on yourtube?

2. Is the bolt shroud still a cast part?

3. Does Bergara's bolt needs a bushing to shoot the 6.5 CM ammo with a small diameter primer?

4. Does Bergara's rifle need to be cleaned after each shooting session (within 24 hrs) to prevent rust?

Thanks in advance,

GalilAce

1: it’s only as difficult as sliding the firing pin seat catch under your shoe lace and pulling to twist, takes 20 seconds.

2: no idea but I don’t see how that would matter as it does nothing

3: can’t say but I wouldn’t worry about it as you can get 6.5 large rifle is more common

4: only if you store it in a salt water swamp, no more than any other rifle

5: quit watching YouTube opinions

Thanks for the reply. But...

1. It is not a Remington 700 bolt. Shoe lace method doesn't work on Bergara according to "Grimstod Desh" on youtube.
2. Cast part is not reliable. I am hoping to get 2000 rds out of this rifle.

Thanks for the reply. But...

1. It is not a Remington 700 bolt. Shoe lace method doesn't work on Bergara according to "Grimstod Desh" on youtube.
2. Cast part is not reliable. I am hoping to get 2000 rds out of this rifle.
1. Call bergara and ask them.
2. You will get more than 2000 rounds out of a b-14 chambered in 6.5 creedmoor, the action will last plenty of barrels.

Reactions: 143lrsd
No offense intended, but you are starting to come across as a troll.

I have no idea who this Grimstod dude is, and I didn't click on his videos. As someone who is a range officer on a public range, and has seen several dozen shooters with Bergara rifles, as well as friends with them, I think they make a solid rifle. There have been a few lemons posted on the web, which is unfortunate, but all of the ones that I have seen and shot, shoot very well.

Never seen a reason to dissamble the bolt on one.

Reactions: b6graham
Dude, seriously ?
Obviously Grimstod is a dumbfuck....and youtube videos by dumbfucks are all too common.
Takes me 20 seconds to strip down my Bergara bolt and I'm an old fucker with stage 4 cancer....so I'm weak even for my age due to the cancer.

Seems that asshat doesn't even know the shroud pops off with minimal effort.

older bergara bolts had large firing pin hole diameters and would have small primers in 6.5 creed pop, that is fixed in new ones.

No, you don’t need to clean your bergara after every ranger trip

I’ve never disassembled my bergara bolt

I don’t know who that is and don’t give a fuck about his opinion so I can’t help you with the YouTube smith

Hello everyone,

I have played AR/AK type rifles for years. I want to get my first bolt action rifle in 6.5 CM for long range. After extensive research for months, Bergara B14 HMR looks like a great entry level option under $1000. But I came cross one very negative review on Bergara's bolt. It is alarming. Posted by "Grimstod Desh" on youtube. The title is "Why Bergara Rifle bolts are BAD". I have the following questions for the experienced Bergara HMR users or Chad from Bergara if he sees this post.

1. Bolt disassembly: In Bergara's video from 5 years ago, the procedure is to put a punch through the slot to hold the firing pin, then rotate it for disassembly. In "Grimstod Desh" video, he said the bolt design was changed and you can't do as what is in Bergara's video. It is very difficult to disassemble the B14 HMR's bolt. Who is right? Any updated video on B14 HMR bolt disassembly on yourtube?

3. Does Bergara's bolt needs a bushing to shoot the 6.5 CM ammo with a small diameter primer?

4. Does Bergara's rifle need to be cleaned after each shooting session (within 24 hrs) to prevent rust?

Thanks in advance,

GalilAce
1) Haven’t seen the issue described in the video, my B14 is an early model I suppose before they modified that. However, seems like his gripe about not getting at the hole for the firing pin retention cause the shroud is in the way don’ doesn’t hold much water, considering he later says it’s easy to get off. Now, yes breaking down the B14 bolt requires a tool (small Allen wrench or similar). Not the only bolt out there that requires that, but agreed that it’s not ideal.

2) I don’t think so. The cast shrouds breaking is an old issue, if you get a new HMR they’ve fixed it. They have also been shipping replacement upgraded shrouds to owners for free for years (I requested mine two years ago).

3) Not anymore. It used to on older models (mine included), which is why I bought a Premier bolt; however, they have addressed this issue in newer models, years ago I believe.

4) Yeah mine rusted easily, both the action and the bolt. Drove me crazy until I just decided to wipe off the very thin rust veneer with my fingers, comes right off. However, I’m describing external rust. Never had internal issues, but did lose a Howa barrel once to bore rust.

I think the guy in the vid has fair complaints, coupled with a shitty attitude. This list of issues, plus a few others, are why I would tell anyone looking at an HMR to get the Pro model. You get an upgrade on the following items:
- Stainless Premier action (no rust)
- Stainless Premier bolt (toolless takedown and swappable heads and handles, plus fluting which looks kinda nice)
- Stainless barrel (no rust, plus a higher quality I think)
- Cerakoted barrel and action
- Trigger Tech Primary, which is markedly better than the factory trigger and I don’t care who says otherwise

OP, you don’t come off to me as a troll, just a concerned potential buyer. The new HMRs have fixed about half of these gripes, but the Pro is a fantastic rifle and, if you add an ARCA or pic rail, is basically competition-ready right out of the box. I wouldn’t buy the HMR, but I am happy to recommend the Pro version.

Reactions: Uhlan
As stated in my first post, it is my first bolt action rifle. I have a high hope for Bergara HMR B14. But that video worried me. Reliability is super important to me. My other guns are Glock, IWI Tavor and GalilAce. I want to find out for sure if there is a bolt problem with HMR B14. I don't want to spend $1000 for find out myself.

Agree about the HMR Pro. I thought about it too. But I want to keep my first entry bolt action below $1000. My choices are coming down to HMR B14 vs. Tikka CTR. If Tikka CTR uses the same chasis as Bergara, then it will be no brainer to go with the Tikka. But Tikka doesn't have it. Tikka UPR is never available and it is above my $1000 budget. $1000 should be a very reasonable budget for an entry level bolt action rifle.

Agree about the HMR Pro. I thought about it too. But I want to keep my first entry bolt action below $1000. My choices are coming down to HMR B14 vs. Tikka CTR. If Tikka CTR uses the same chasis as Bergara, then it will be no brainer to go with the Tikka. But Tikka doesn't have it. Tikka UPR is never available and it is above my $1000 budget. $1000 should be a very reasonable budget for an entry level bolt action rifle.
Don’t think any Tikkas use the R700 footprint, so not the same chassis. However, most chassis are available with Tikka inlets.

Sounds like you’re set on $1k and on this being an “entry level” bolt gun. That term is highly user-dependent, but it often translates into “I quickly realized I wanted something better and upgraded.” I think you’ll be far less likely to experience that with the Pro; take it from me, who owns the HMR and has basically turned it into a Pro other than the action itself.

Don’t think any Tikkas use the R700 footprint, so not the same chassis. However, most chassis are available with Tikka inlets.

Sounds like you’re set on $1k and on this being an “entry level” bolt gun. That term is highly user-dependent, but it often translates into “I quickly realized I wanted something better and upgraded.” I think you’ll be far less likely to experience that with the Pro; take it from me, who owns the HMR and has basically turned it into a Pro other than the action itself.
Thanks a lot.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
I have shot approximately 900 rounds of SR primed 6.5 CM thru my HMR with no issues. Mine has been thru several super dusty competitions and a couple LR shooting classes without a hiccup.

For 1090.00 dollar's you can get the HMR wilderness model that is ceracoted and has all the bolt problems fixed. And shoots great. I've read reviews of bergara hmr's most were good and some not so good on early models but all those things have been delt with. And the fit and finish is really good. The one I have is a really good shooter I use mine for matches and just to go shoot with my kids and have had no issues with it, it goes bang every time

Reactions: Alekzandr
1) Haven’t seen the issue described in the video, my B14 is an early model I suppose before they modified that. However, seems like his gripe about not getting at the hole for the firing pin retention cause the shroud is in the way don’ doesn’t hold much water, considering he later says it’s easy to get off. Now, yes breaking down the B14 bolt requires a tool (small Allen wrench or similar). Not the only bolt out there that requires that, but agreed that it’s not ideal.

2) I don’t think so. The cast shrouds breaking is an old issue, if you get a new HMR they’ve fixed it. They have also been shipping replacement upgraded shrouds to owners for free for years (I requested mine two years ago).

3) Not anymore. It used to on older models (mine included), which is why I bought a Premier bolt; however, they have addressed this issue in newer models, years ago I believe.

4) Yeah mine rusted easily, both the action and the bolt. Drove me crazy until I just decided to wipe off the very thin rust veneer with my fingers, comes right off. However, I’m describing external rust. Never had internal issues, but did lose a Howa barrel once to bore rust.

I think the guy in the vid has fair complaints, coupled with a shitty attitude. This list of issues, plus a few others, are why I would tell anyone looking at an HMR to get the Pro model. You get an upgrade on the following items:
- Stainless Premier action (no rust)
- Stainless Premier bolt (toolless takedown and swappable heads and handles, plus fluting which looks kinda nice)
- Stainless barrel (no rust, plus a higher quality I think)
- Cerakoted barrel and action
- Trigger Tech Primary, which is markedly better than the factory trigger and I don’t care who says otherwise

OP, you don’t come off to me as a troll, just a concerned potential buyer. The new HMRs have fixed about half of these gripes, but the Pro is a fantastic rifle and, if you add an ARCA or pic rail, is basically competition-ready right out of the box. I wouldn’t buy the HMR, but I am happy to recommend the Pro version.
You have addressed my questions 2 & 3. I appreciate it very much. Any idea from which serial number those running changes are made?

For #4, do you think the B14 HMR Wilderness Model address the rust issue? If so, then B14 Wilderness model will let me stay under my $1K budget.

For #1, it is still not clear to me what the correct procedure for the new and improved version of the B14 HMR is. I did ask the tech support from Bergara last week. They pointed me to the old video from 5 years ago which is not correct for the new and improved version of the B14 HMR. That is why I decided not to ask their tech support any further. I wish they call the new version Gen 2 so it will be clear to the users which rifle they get. Those running changes are causing a lot of confusion.

Thank again,

GalilAce

For 1090.00 dollar's you can get the HMR wilderness model that is ceracoted and has all the bolt problems fixed. And shoots great. I've read reviews of bergara hmr's most were good and some not so good on early models but all those things have been delt with. And the fit and finish is really good. The one I have is a really good shooter I use mine for matches and just to go shoot with my kids and have had no issues with it, it goes bang every time
Great! I am thinking about Wilderness model too. Any comment on bolt dissasembly on the updated version HMR or HMR Wilderness?

For maintenance purpose, I would like to be able to reach the level where ejector and extractor can be replaced. Just like any AR or AK. So it is very important to me to know the correct disassembly procedure.

As stated in my first post, it is my first bolt action rifle. I have a high hope for Bergara HMR B14. But that video worried me. Reliability is super important to me. My other guns are Glock, IWI Tavor and GalilAce. I want to find out for sure if there is a bolt problem with HMR B14. I don't want to spend $1000 for find out myself.
If I was buying a precision rifle based almost entirely on reliability I would buy a tikka ctr at a drop shipper as cheap as possible, sell the bottom metal magazine and stock online, and buy a krg bravo for it. It will be just over the (likely) arbitrary 1k dollar limit but worth it.

If I was buying a precision rifle based almost entirely on reliability I would buy a tikka ctr at a drop shipper as cheap as possible, sell the bottom metal magazine and stock online, and buy a krg bravo for it. It will be just over the (likely) arbitrary 1k dollar limit but worth it.
Interesting suggestion. I will look into it if I give up on HMR B14. One comment about Tikka CTR. It has some feeding issue with the 10 rd factory metal magazine.

Krg bravo uses aics mags.

Personally, I have not found that to be true with my ctr but people do say it online.
Tikka CTR is a great option. Comparing to Bergara, CTR misses the adjustable comb height and it is more difficult to add the picatinny rail for bipod. That is why Bergara is still my first option if I can be certain there is no bolt issue.

Based on the discussions, there are only two questions left about the Bergara HMR or HMR Wilderness. I start to lean more on Wilderness due the rust issue on HMR.

1. From which serial number on they made design changes/upgrades on the bolt?
2. What is the correct way to disassemble the updated bolt? Down to the extractor/ejector/spring level as AR and AK.

The tikka is a great option. It’s can grow with you if you decide to invest more into it. This is someone that you should take youtube advice from, along with a in-person class.

The HMR is still a great option.

Last edited:
I have definitely had feed issues with the 10 Round Tikka magazines. I have 6 of them and have pulled them apart and bent the follower spring to fix the issue of the bullets not tipping up enough to feed

I have definitely had feed issues with the 10 Round Tikka magazines. I have 6 of them and have pulled them apart and bent the follower spring to fix the issue of the bullets not tipping up enough to feed
It seems like quality has gone downhill for every manufacture. For 1K bolt action rifle, it should be worry-free. I have spent more researching time on this entry level bolt action than AR or AK.

You might try calling Bergara USA and asking the serial number question, but like I said, pretty sure it’s been years since they had those issues. Are you buying new or used? If new, you’d have to find someone with some very old stock to get one with the large firing pin. The shroud wouldn’t matter, since they’ll send you a good one if yours doesn’t have it.

You might try calling Bergara USA and asking the serial number question, but like I said, pretty sure it’s been years since they had those issues. Are you buying new or used? If new, you’d have to find someone with some very old stock to get one with the large firing pin. The shroud wouldn’t matter, since they’ll send you a good one if yours doesn’t have it.
Will do. Thanks again for all the insights.

Will do. Thanks again for all the insights.
Sure thing. Would be happy to help out with the bolt disassembly, but alas I don’t have one to play with and figure out.

I’ll say that, having looked at the Wilderness HMR due to this thread, I’d choose it over the HMR also. Getting a Cerakote job and a brake for the $150 over a base HMR is a great deal. Make sure you don’t get the Ridge model, you want the adjustable cheek riser for sure. I won’t shoot a rifle without one.

Reactions: Mrindecisive
The bolt tear down I have not done there has been no reason to do it so far. The bolts in the wilderness model are different than the regular ones it's fluted and works like it's on bearings just plain smooth. When I get home later I will look and see how easy it comes apart. Plus by bergara they fixed bolt issues in 2017 to 2018 so all the new guns are all updated to solve this problem.

Btw, you asked about the ejector and extractor. Regardless of which bolt model/version you have, pretty sure all of them use a plunger ejector (R700-style) held in place with a roll pin. Tap the pin out and out comes the ejector plunger and the spring captured underneath it.

I've never removed the extractor, but per this thread, looks like you just tap it out also:

Sure thing. Would be happy to help out with the bolt disassembly, but alas I don’t have one to play with and figure out.

I’ll say that, having looked at the Wilderness HMR due to this thread, I’d choose it over the HMR also. Getting a Cerakote job and a brake for the $150 over a base HMR is a great deal. Make sure you don’t get the Ridge model, you want the adjustable cheek riser for sure. I won’t shoot a rifle without one.
Sounds good. The Wilderness looks like the winner more and more, and it still meets the 1K budget.

The bolt tear down I have not done there has been no reason to do it so far. The bolts in the wilderness model are different than the regular ones it's fluted and works like it's on bearings just plain smooth. When I get home later I will look and see how easy it comes apart. Plus by bergara they fixed bolt issues in 2017 to 2018 so all the new guns are all updated to solve this problem.
I appreciate it very much if you can provide a video on the bolt disassembly or a detailed instruction.

Is the 409 Performance package good enough for HMR Wilderness? Specifically the muzzle brake (50% recoil reduction?) and scope base.

Is the 409 Performance package good enough for HMR Wilderness? Specifically the muzzle brake (50% recoil reduction?) and scope base.

"Good enough" is in the eye of the beholder, but plenty of people like the Area 419 brakes. I find some of their stuff overpriced, but that kit seems fine. I'd try to sell the brake that comes with the Wilderness to offset the cost a bit if I went that route. Also, you'll want to contact Area 419 about two things:
- They say themselves that the rail in that package compromises function ("will not work with mounts like Spuhr or MPA"), see if they'll put the Full Slotted version in the package instead, seeing as their site lists both at the same price
- See if that rail will fit the Wilderness. Sounds like the Wilderness uses the R700 pattern that takes #6-48 screws, and I think the Area 419 rail is set up for #8-40 screws.

"Good enough" is in the eye of the beholder, but plenty of people like the Area 419 brakes. I find some of their stuff overpriced, but that kit seems fine. I'd try to sell the brake that comes with the Wilderness to offset the cost a bit if I went that route. Also, you'll want to contact Area 419 about two things:
- They say themselves that the rail in that package compromises function ("will not work with mounts like Spuhr or MPA"), see if they'll put the Full Slotted version in the package instead, seeing as their site lists both at the same price
- See if that rail will fit the Wilderness. Sounds like the Wilderness uses the R700 pattern that takes #6-48 screws, and I think the Area 419 rail is set up for #8-40 screws.
1. Area 419 will substitue the full slotted version (I prefer the full version as well).
2. Wilderness uses the same #6-48 screws as the B14 HMR. See the table below.

1653930955418.png

I plan to use PA's 3-18 scope for this bolt action. I have used PA scopes in the past (4 of them for AR, AK, Tavor and GalilAce). Extended scope mount was used. For the bolt action, I assume extended scope mount will push the scope too far to the front. Will the cantilever scope mount work (third one on the bottom)? I don't want the seperate scope rings.

1653931528578.png

I own a B14 HMR Wilderness here in the coastal Northwest of the UK. It is out in all weather's and high salt content from the sea. Had the rifle for about 14 months no rust at all as the ceracoat as protected the metal work. Best rifle I have owned had no problems with it sub MOA accuracy. Worth putting high end glass on it as mine as never let me down. Shot it out to over 1500m so far looking to go to the mile marker soon.
Hope this help.

Reactions: GalilAce
I own a B14 HMR Wilderness here in the coastal Northwest of the UK. It is out in all weather's and high salt content from the sea. Had the rifle for about 14 months no rust at all as the ceracoat as protected the metal work. Best rifle I have owned had no problems with it sub MOA accuracy. Worth putting high end glass on it as mine as never let me down. Shot it out to over 1500m so far looking to go to the mile marker soon.
Hope this help.
Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

One remaining question is on the bolt disassembly. The early model (>5 years) is very easy to disassemble as it should. Then Bergera made the design changes to fix reliability issue. From the info I can gather, it becomes far more difficult. There is no instruction in their user manual on how to disassemble. Neither any disassembly video on the new bolt (< 2 years) from Bergara officially. Would you please share your bolt disassembly procedure since yours is under 14 months (it should have the new bolt)?

Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance,

GalilAce
Hello: I am a novice but I have owned a Bergara B-14 HMR .308Win for 6 months and it has been nothing but smooth and a delight to shoot. I have never disassembled the bolt, but if required I would contact Bergara rather than YouTube. I clean it after every range session, but that is me. I use a Rhodesian sling and it will shoot MOA at 200Y. It feels like a well designed and well finished piece of machinery. I recommend it highly and without reservation.

Reactions: 308pirate
Hello: I am a novice but I have owned a Bergara B-14 HMR .308Win for 6 months and it has been nothing but smooth and a delight to shoot. I have never disassembled the bolt, but if required I would contact Bergara rather than YouTube. I clean it after every range session, but that is me. I use a Rhodesian sling and it will shoot MOA at 200Y. It feels like a well designed and well finished piece of machinery. I recommend it highly and without reservation.
Thanks for sharing your experience. The bolt definitely needs to be cleaned well. I contacted Bergara before. The rep was nice. But he kept pointing me to this old video (> 5 yrs ago). I know the bolt design has been changed since then. The procedure in the old video doesn't work. So that discussion didn't go anywhere.

Just loop it under a shoe lace and twist. That little trick will let you remove the firing pin from every bolt. You dont need a pussy wrench to hold it for you.

tikka ctr in a bravo with a vortex venom/strike eagle would be my pick any day of the week in this budget

the amount of time you spent on this bergera thread could have paid for that upgrade

Reactions: NewsShooter
tikka ctr in a bravo with a vortex venom/strike eagle would be my pick any day of the week in this budget

the amount of time you spent on this bergera thread could have paid for that upgrade
Thanks for the suggestion. It is part of the journey. No rush here. I don't have a hunt or a match coming up.

Not sure of any changes to the bolt shroud other than changing the material from some type of pot metal casting to a
steel casting.

Disassembly should be the same.

FYI,

This bolt looks bad after 300 rds. Threads start to flatten. It looks like the changes made half way through from 2018 if we can believe the posts below.

1654264187799.png

1654264002108.png

You are worrying about a non issue, may have been in older rifles but current are fine. I bought one in 2020 and have put 2600 rds through it 18 months, the bolt disassemble in not that difficult, despite what some youtuber says, and yes I am over 50 and have no trouble removing the firing pin.

Reactions: Mrindecisive
You are worrying about a non issue, may have been in older rifles but current are fine. I bought one in 2020 and have put 2600 rds through it 18 months, the bolt disassemble in not that difficult, despite what some youtuber says, and yes I am over 50 and have no trouble removing the firing pin.
Yes. I just ordered the Wilderness version. It is at the point of no return now. Hopefully it works out.

1654293800162.png

My guess is it will be very dirty inside your HMR Wilderness bolt. Let us know how it works. It could have an impact on reliability and accuracy.

I've got bolt rifles with over 2k rounds through them that haven't had the bolt apart. I think you're worrying about a problem that generally isn't a problem. Hell, my savage that I started with has over 3K rounds through it. Still one of my most accurate rifles, bolt has been apart once not long after I got it when a hot load compressed the ejector a bit too much.