• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Quick Connect to Direct Thread

B y r o n

Private
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2004
Western Kentucky
So it seems that when you purchase a suppressor you have to choose between either a direct thread or quick disconnect. The first means you're stuck with a single thread pattern. The second means you need an adapter for each barrel. It seems you always seem to get another thread pattern or you're short an adapter for the gun you want to run the suppressor on. So I recently picked up another 5/8-24 and a 1/2-28 muzzle brake quick connect for a can I have coming when it hit me. What if I mounted one of these to my can when it gets here and basically turns it into a direct thread can.

My question is, has anyone done this before and if so were there any negative results?

I am aware that the muzzle brake would not be timed correctly but it would be in the can and not like simply mounted to a barrel. I also realize that when removing the brake may stay attached to the barrel when removing the can and require a separate removal.

In theory that should work just fine, however I can't help but think you may run into problems with getting the adapter too tight on the suppressor. If anything, the taper lock would stay on the can when removing and you might not be able to get it off. Unless of course the can is left hand threaded in which case, you may not get the muzzle device on tight enough without unscrewing the can.

Last edited:
I think you will have trouble getting the adaptor back out of the can when switching between the 2 threads you have, ...Do they have a direct thread adapter for your can?

I think you will have trouble getting the adaptor back out of the can when switching between the 2 threads you have, ...Do they have a direct thread adapter for your can?

Not really, you buy one way or the other.

I've read about folks having trouble getting cans off which is why I asked the question for those that might have tried it before me. Who knows, I may have enough muzzle brakes purchased between now and when my stamps come in. Just looking at options.

I had this same thought. Purchased a TBAC ultra 9 then realized I had 4-5 rifles I wanted to use it on. 2 have 3/4 x 24 and 3 have 5/8 x 24. In the end, I just watched for brakes on sale here. It was expensive but I finally got them all purchased.

that being said, I’ll tell you that loctite won’t hold a brake on when it gets hot, and I had my brake get a light carbon weld to the suppressor. That forced me to go learn about Rocksett.

If you are going to shoot 100% suppressed and all rifles have the same threads, go direct. If you might shoot some on and off suppressed, or they have different thread pitches, go with the quick attach.

If you're not attached to your brakes you could probably go with the area 419 hellfire system. The rifle adapters are $40 a piece and then you can easily swap a single brake or can with adapter to any rifle with threads.

Not really, you buy one way or the other.

I've read about folks having trouble getting cans off which is why I asked the question for those that might have tried it before me. Who knows, I may have enough muzzle brakes purchased between now and when my stamps come in. Just looking at options.

Nope, plenty of cans have the option to swap between QD mounts and DT.

Omega 36 and the Sakers use the Saker mount style, giving you the option of DT, ASR, Plan-A and Plan-B.

Anything with the 1.375x24 Omega mount threads has all of the above options plus Area 419, Keymo, Centrix, etc.

That's why folks are asking you which can(s) you bought, you may or may not have options depending on the answer.

Nope, plenty of cans have the option to swap between QD mounts and DT.

Omega 36 and the Sakers use the Saker mount style, giving you the option of DT, ASR, Plan-A and Plan-B.

Anything with the 1.375x24 Omega mount threads has all of the above options plus Area 419, Keymo, Centrix, etc.

That's why folks are asking you which can(s) you bought, you may or may not have options depending on the answer.

I didn't want this to be about any one brand of suppressor which is why I never mentioned which one I bought. I did however state that the brand I bought didn't offer a direct thread adapter if you purchased the quick connect version.

I appreciate everyone's responses, thanks.

The brand you are considering may not offer direct thread options if the quick connect was purchased, but if the quick connect adapter uses the 1.375x24 industry standard it won’t matter because other companies offer what you are looking for.

At this point I would not buy any centerfire rifle suppressor that doesn’t accept industry standard 1.375x24 adapters, there are just so many good options available and it opens up mixing and matching your favorite breaks to different suppressor brands.

I cannot speak for all suppressors, but my Omega 30 cal was horribly inaccurate with the ASR brake on with the can mounted. It is gnat’s ass accurate in the direct thread configuration.

Have any of you noticed the same thing switching between direct thread and QD with your cans?

I’ve used an omega and harvester big bore with both direct thread and ASR, no noticeable difference in accuracy across AR (small and large) and precision platforms. There is a POI shift but that’s to be expected.

I crank my muzzle devices down pretty hard, and my ASR has zero wiggle, so maybe that helps or maybe I’ve just been lucky.

If I had to do it again, I would probably go with the DeadAir system, but at this point is have a ton invested in the ASR setup and haven’t had any issues so don’t have a compelling reason to convince my wife we need to change ?

I picked up a Dead Air Sandman Ti, which is direct thread last Fall. I have to say it works just as well as my Omega. And was about $300 less. Dead Air makes nice gear.