• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Quietest .223 can. ?

BurtG

GOLDEN TICKET HOLDER
Supporter
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Nov 9, 2022
    Northeast
    What’s the quietest .223 can out theee for bolt guns ? Semi autos?

I’d think OpsInc 12th and 338 ultra would rank up there

Quietest semi auto can is going to be very different than one from a bolt gun.

0262D2A3-4A0E-4070-8176-D2E2D24EEFC4.png

.223 subs = suck = why bother? The whole reason there is a .300BLK is so you can actually make an AR quiet and it will still kill shit.

Even 9mm super sonic crack it pretty loud and defeats the purpose, so there is effectively no practical difference. They all make them marginally hearing "safe". You have to actually shoot cans side by side to even detect a difference. If that is worth more to you go for it, but it isn't to me. I run .30 cal cans on everything, and have NEVER shot with anyone and thought their cans were appreciably quieter than anything I run.

I run cans on all my rifles, because they're a lot more pleasant to shoot, but if I actually care about how quiet it is then it's all subs, and if there's a speed limit why not throw the biggest pill you can? .45 is already "naturally" sub sonic. It's almost like it was designed for suppressors.

I shoot .223 with a can for comfort, but the sonic crack is going to be so much louder than everything else going on it's moot as far as I'm concerned.

I run my saker ASR on my bolt and semi. Your going to have the supersonic crack regardless of how quiet it is. The crack is louder than the gun with my bolt. If you run subs then just use a .22 rimfire and can

OPS/AEM/OCM is the quietest I've heard on both a bolt and a semi. It's subjective though since I dont have any way to measure - the tone on those cans is great though. Will be interested to hear if others have different experiences.

Another vote for AE. I have not shot the m24, but the AEM5 is insanely quiet on a bolt gun.

Another vote for AE. I have not shot the m24, but the AEM5 is insanely quiet on a bolt gun.
    Or, if you can't find an AEM5, or want to save some cash, you can get the (slightly quieter) Otter Creek Labs version, the OCM5. 👍🏼

Bauer Precision has 1 in stock for only $768...

And Black Ankle Munitions actually has Poloniums in stock...

Reactions: BurtG
    I don't know what can is literally the quietest (based on some subjective test), but in my opinion looking at a .223 can based on DB alone is a bad way to shop.

Yes you want a quiet can, but with that round you will still be wearing ear protection.

Again it depends on what the platform is. On an AR how much back pressure is a big deal.

For an AR my criteria are:

Mounting system
    Back pressure
    Weight
    Sound

The Otter Creek Labs Polonium 556 is the current reigning champ at muzzle DB numbers on the PEW Science charts. I have one...It sounds amazing. 👍🏼

Not at the ear on semi's. Looks great for bolt guns though.

I don't know what can is literally the quietest (based on some subjective test), but in my opinion looking at a .223 can based on DB alone is a bad way to shop.

Yes you want a quiet can, but with that round you will still be wearing ear protection.

Again it depends on what the platform is. On an AR how much back pressure is a big deal.

For an AR my criteria are:

Mounting system
    Back pressure
    Weight
    Sound

Exactly. The nuances of a gas gun makes a big difference with suppressor performance. What works great on a bolt gun is not great for a semi and vice versa.

If you want to have the quietest can for both bolt guns and semi's, you need two different suppressors.

Not at the ear on semi's. Looks great for bolt guns though.

Exactly. The nuances of a gas gun makes a big difference with suppressor performance. What works great on a bolt gun is not great for a semi and vice versa.

If you want to have the quietest can for both bolt guns and semi's, you need two different suppressors.
    I've never put my Polonium on a bolt gun (yet)...I do have plans to test it on my 16" MPR in 6mm ARC. It's always been shot on an AR. It's not overly gassy, and sounds great. Mounting platform is whatever you want it to be...It's got HUB threads. Weight and length are nice. If you stumble upon one in the wild, check it out and see if they'll let you shoot it on your gun. You might like it and change your mind about it. You might not, and still not like it. It's all up to your wants/needs.

Reactions: kthomas
    I've never put my Polonium on a bolt gun (yet)...I do have plans to test it on my 16" MPR in 6mm ARC. It's always been shot on an AR. It's not overly gassy, and sounds great. Mounting platform is whatever you want it to be...It's got HUB threads. Weight and length are nice. If you stumble upon one in the wild, check it out and see if they'll let you shoot it on your gun. You might like it and change your mind about it. You might not, and still not like it. It's all up to your wants/needs.

It looks like a really nice suppressor.

Not the quietest on a semi (per OP's objective), but I'm sure I would be more than happy with one. My main objective with suppressors is never dB reduction anyways, I think there's many aspects to suppressors more important than just dB reduction.

For my personal purposes, I'm sure I would really like that OCL Polonium.

Not the quietest on a semi (per OP's objective), but I'm sure I would be more than happy with one. My main objective with suppressors is never dB reduction anyways, I think there's many aspects to suppressors more important than just dB reduction.

I agree, same here, there's many different needs/wants for them. As you know I own my share of semi-autos, but my main passion has always been precision bolt-actions and stealthy hunting, so, eliminating the moving parts/cycling/gas system factor... then muzzle DB reduction (for both shooter and downrange) is my main concern.

Another reason the Polonium is so versatile, and not as gassy as others, is because of the 6mm bore. Therefore it can handle any 6mm/.243 cartridge, as well as .223. It was designed and tested with a 6mm ARC in mind, which is one reason it's so quiet. It was design with enough internal volume to properly suppress the 6mm ARC. 👍🏼

Reactions: kthomas and BurtG

There's a thing about semi-autos that most people in these threads seem to miss - how loud a particular bolt-gun can is on a semi-auto depends a LOT on how the action is tuned; i.e. is the rifle a bit overgassed to start with? Probably will be louder. Does it have an adjustable gas system that can be set for that particular can? Probably will be a lot quieter.

There's no one particular right answer to say how much louder a particular can is on a semi-auto because it varies so much. Back pressure is real, but when the rifle is tuned to accommodate it, the answer changes a lot. Regardless what some "test" says that measured it on one rifle...

The new SAS MX EADRom is 134.1. On 14.5" barrel 556. 5.5" suppressor too. OSHA Says under 140 DB's is safe. I know that there is duration exposure, and other factors, but its pretty quiet for a 5.5" suppressor.

Having shot a Magnus, gen 1 338 ultra and some others through a 223. I’d go Magnus. The Magnus and gen 1 to the ear sound the same. I’m sure the gen 2 338 ultra is a little quieter. But, it is a little bigger.

I just came here to say 338 ultra
    You would be correct, according to Zak Smith about his offering from TBAC.

I spoke to Zak late last year and that is what he told me. I would add the caveat that would apply to bolt guns and that is my view only as Zak did not specify the host type. For those that would read this that don’t know who Zak Smith is, he’s one of the owners of TBAC.

Last edited:
    Having shot a Magnus, gen 1 338 ultra and some others through a 223. I’d go Magnus. The Magnus and gen 1 to the ear sound the same. I’m sure the gen 2 338 ultra is a little quieter. But, it is a little bigger.
    I currently own a Magnus and a Gen 1 338 Ultra and to my ears and everyone at my house the Magnus is slightly quieter on my 223 bolt guns.

Reactions: FuhQ and BurtG
    Also, even though according to the "experts" it is apparently still damaging to my hearing. The 223 bolt gun with the Magnus is very comfortable to shot without hearing protection.

Reactions: FuhQ and BurtG
    @AndrewKing without revealing too many secret squirrel things; are you using aunt FLO V1.0 in anything?

@BurtG ; if so, this is something you should look in to. Also, weren't you going to try the F1 can thing at one point?