• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quietest (least loud) 100-115 yard gun/ammo that isn't suppressed? Shotgun and AR15 are too loud for my yard (7 acres, neighbors aren't that close).

You might want to double check your local hunting reg's since it involves foxes.
Yep, did that.

"Bobcat, coyote, red fox, grey fox, raccoon, opossum, and skunk may be hunted at any hour, day or night. Hunting begins after sunrise on the opening day of the season and thereafter until midnight on the closing day of the season. For more on hunting furbearers at night, see below."

Explore air rifle options. They are not constrained the same as firearms when it comes to suppressing them.

I'd be very careful about openly saying you'd cobble together a suppressor on the internet; G-man will be at your door in no time at all.

Explore air rifle options. They are not constrained the same as firearms when it comes to suppressing them.

I'd be very careful about openly saying you'd cobble together a suppressor on the internet; G-man will be at your door in no time at all.
Thank you and understood. My understanding is that it's perfectly legal to build one, provided the proper paperwork is in order. Is this incorrect?

I didn't say my closest neighbor was a mile away. I said 1000 yards. I said that I know all my neighbors within a mile. Also my wife and kid have ears too.
Try some of the "quiet" subsonic 22LR ammo.
It will be going as fast as a high-end air rifle would.

Well technically no but if you want 130 with a centerfire rifle youre going to have to put a can on the end of the barrel.
So for your intenets and purposes, yes.

If you want quiet get a 22lr as has been mentioned most often (for good and obvious reasons).
I have the cnmg 22lr conversion for my AR, and it's decently arcuate out to 60 yards or so, but 22lr shoots filthy. Which is what go me thinking ascot building a dedicated small caliber rifle in the first place.

I have the cnmg 22lr conversion for my AR, and it's decently arcuate out to 60 yards or so, but 22lr shoots filthy. Which is what go me thinking ascot building a dedicated small caliber rifle in the first place.
Get an actual 22 thats worth a shit and some good ammo thats worth a shit youll be amazed at how much better they are.

Here is 20 shots at 100 with a winchester from the 50s and its preferred eley lot, thats a 1/2" orange dot.
B03BFDF2-1540-438A-96EF-B5227809FB4B.jpeg

Granted thats off of a bench rest but even with its unpreferred lot a fox head at 100 isnt an issue.

You might want to double check your local hunting reg's since it involves foxes.
Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 9.54.45 AM.png

Jason's gonna need to wait a few months to suss out his fox problem. I guess he has 5 months or so to get a 22lr rifle...

Reactions: 308pirate
I live in New York State (sad trombone sound), suppressors are banned. I wish I could have a suppressor here. Then this thread would be unnecessary.
I feel your pain.

Re-re-locating back to that hellhole and have to offload all my cans shortly.

Honest answer: buy a bow.
Hav-a-hart traps and paw-catch traps and inexpensive compound bow. Don’t get much quieter.

Reactions: Jason3270
View attachment 7857923
Jason's gonna need to wait a few months to suss out his fox problem. I guess he has 5 months or so to get a 22lr rifle...
That's correct, I only hunt fox during fox season, and I'm making best use of the off season in preparation. You'd be amazed how well the problem sorts itself out when you have a successful hunting season. Measure twice, cut once.

Last edited:
CZ 457:

If dudes are hitting 200-400yd targets in .22 PRS/NRL then you can use it as a trainer and/or varmint control the same way. It's not the best thing in the world for killing power, but I've killed coyotes and plenty of raccoons with .22lr. It'll work. The match .22lr ammo is subsonic and extremely quiet.

Last edited:
Get a CZ 457 American in .22 mag. The long 24.8 inch barrel is quiet and it's a 150 yard rifle. Another option is the CZ Jaguar .22LR. It has a 28" barrel and you could use CCI Velocitors. Should be good to 120 yards. Both are much more quiet than any centerfire and either should do the trick. You can handload most any centerfire to a sub-sonic round but its lots of trouble and many times the trade off is accuracy. Accuracy is what kills. Avoid short barreled carbines. There are also some muzzle devices that seem to cut the noise a bit by simpy being a extension of the barrel. You can also shoot inside a room out a window and that really keeps the neigbors happy. "The whole room acts as a giant suppressor.

17hmr or 22mag is perfect for that distance, much better killing power than a 22lr more accurate at range (most HP 22lr ammo has horrible accuracy) and is much, much quieter than 223 or most other centerfire cartridges.

You could consider a 17wsm or 17HH if you think you need more killing power.

If it's legal to shoot on your property then who cares how loud it is? If it's not legal to shoot on your property its gonna difficult to find any firearm/round that the neighbors wont hear when going off.

If it's legal to shoot on your property then who cares how loud it is? If it's not legal to shoot on your property its gonna difficult to find any firearm/round that the neighbors wont hear when going off.
Loudness varies from low to high. I'm looking to get out of the high category.

Wow. What an interesting read. OP is right, this is getting a bit out of control. He asked a simple question and I have a simple answer for you that nobody else has suggested.

In my opinion, without a suppressor, you’ll want to look at a 375 Cheytac (aka 375ct)

I’m a bit lazy right now but if you use the search function and put in 375ct as the search term, and my username for the search member, you’ll find some info on my exact build which should guide you to building one similar. VERY quiet and more than enough to take down a thumper at 100 yards.

Welcome to the Hide and don’t worry about these grumpy old ass holes around here. They’re all just pissed they’re punching key on their keyboards and not punching holes in targets.

Make sure you report back after your first couple shots so we know how the build goes.

A .17 fireball with a 24" barrel will be slightly less loud than a .223.
All of the powder would be consumed before the end of the barrel, the bullets are tiny, lightly constructed. Ricochet won't be an issue.
If you're doing this from your porch, build a muffler box, about 4 feet in length, maybe 12' square. Place your muzzle in that box when you shoot.

Attachments

• development-of-a-muffler-for-small-arms-range-noise-mitigation.pdf
    739.7 KB · Views: 77
5.7x28 with 55g subs and a bolt gun. Reloadable 22mag ish qualities with the ability to tailor loads if you see fit. Supers or subs would be readily available

Wow. What an interesting read. OP is right, this is getting a bit out of control. He asked a simple question and I have a simple answer for you that nobody else has suggested.

In my opinion, without a suppressor, you’ll want to look at a 375 Cheytac (aka 375ct)

I’m a bit lazy right now but if you use the search function and put in 375ct as the search term, and my username for the search member, you’ll find some info on my exact build which should guide you to building one similar. VERY quiet and more than enough to take down a thumper at 100 yards.

Welcome to the Hide and don’t worry about these grumpy old ass holes around here. They’re all just pissed they’re punching key on their keyboards and not punching holes in targets.

Make sure you report back after your first couple shots so we know how the build goes.
Thank you kindly good sir.

17hmr and be done. 17 is perfect for point and click fox and raccoon. It’s my always ready rifle to protect chickens though mine is supressed.

Even without the can it’s significantly quieter than a 223. Lots of what’s being thrown around for ideas are not going to be very lethal or easy to hit with at a hundred yards. 17 does that no problem.

A .17 fireball with a 24" barrel will be slightly less loud than a .223.
All of the powder would be consumed before the end of the barrel, the bullets are tiny, lightly constructed. Ricochet won't be an issue.
If you're doing this from your porch, build a muffler box, about 4 feet in length, maybe 12' square. Place your muzzle in that box when you shoot.

I forgot about the fireballs. I had both the 17 and 22 fireballs. Fantastic cartridges that deserved better than remington gave them!

Reactions: obx22
I forgot about the fireballs. I had both the 17 and 22 fireballs. Fantastic cartridges that deserved better than remington gave them!
This line of reasoning has me thinking the aforementioned 5.7/28 or a 22TCM would be great options. Wondering if anyone made the .22Jet in a carbine (Thompson Center ??)

Agreed on both. But they are definitely not quiet/loud as the Op needs for his… “pests.”

Oh but I jest…

Now, let’s talk the .14-221 Eichelberger.

It’s loud loud. But at 4800 fps does vaporize pests in backyards!

Sirhr

I live in town on an acre. Raccoons tear things up in my yard and crap on my roof. So I trap them. I use two methods. 1. If I want to kill them I use dogproof traps with marshmellows as bait. Once they’re trapped, a bat to the back of the head. 2. Live traps Loaded with marshmellows for raccoons. Once trapped I haul them to the mountains.
Using the live trap on foxes, I use either sardines or catfood. Again I haul them miles into the mountains and release them.
Who knows, but all those I release may return, but I have fun anyway! LOL!

Reactions: 3850remhep
Hi everyone.
I feel like I'm butting in, because what do I know?
Doesn't Marlin, Savage, Ruger already produce a lever action, or bolt action Ruger77/44?
With the closed breach and a downloaded .44, as in .44 Special to sub-sonic

Sorry, pushed the button by accident.
I wouldn't want to be shot at a 100 yards +/- 15 with it.
SWC seems like it would work on small game.
Just spitting lead.

I live in town on an acre. Raccoons tear things up in my yard and crap on my roof. So I trap them. I use two methods. 1. If I want to kill them I use dogproof traps with marshmellows as bait. Once they’re trapped, a bat to the back of the head. 2. Live traps Loaded with marshmellows for raccoons. Once trapped I haul them to the mountains.
Using the live trap on foxes, I use either sardines or catfood. Again I haul them miles into the mountains and release them.
Who knows, but all those I release may return, but I have fun anyway! LOL!
Yep I have the traps, and do the same. But in this thread, I specifically am interested in shooting, caliber, gun, and noise reduction (to whatever extent is actually possible). Pest control is an aside here, as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: Pesky Squirrel
Don't forget or underestimate the .22wmr. It would be perfect for what you're looking for imo.

Dai said it.
Cci quiet, long barrel.

Honestly though- truly asses where it's safe to shoot on your property.

I'd just make noise with a shotgun.
Tell your neighbors it's a shotgun and you couldn't shoot them if you tried. Explain the max range if needed.

Even the British and lefties are good with shotguns.

Dai said it.
Cci quiet, long barrel.

Honestly though- truly asses where it's safe to shoot on your property.

I'd just make noise with a shotgun.
Tell your neighbors it's a shotgun and you couldn't shoot them if you tried. Explain the max range if needed.

Even the British and lefties are good with shotguns.

Exactly.

I'm thinking he doesn't understand just how inevitable the noise of a muzzle blast is.

He's looking for the magic bullet, that doesn't exist.

have to invite over a dozen friends with cannons to fire at 6 am all weekend long in a reenactment of some made up battle lol bye the time that weekend is over they will totally enjoy the tiny 556 and would thank you . buy a can if you have to Id still say the cannon idea would work best of luck .

Exactly.

I'm thinking he doesn't understand just how inevitable the noise of a muzzle blast is.

He's looking for the magic bullet, that doesn't exist.
No, I'm not actually. What's going on here? There's literally no where in this thread where I say I'm looking for the perfect thing that doesn't exist. I keep explaining that I'd simply like to get to whatever they lowest decibel level is, that can shoot 100 yards.

Lowest does not mean quiet. Quietist also doesn't mean quiet. Lowest/quietest is probably fairly loud, but my goal here is to be a bit less loud, and I've been unbelievably clear about this.

Moreover, I've not only fully assessed where I'm shooting to and from, I've gone so far as to invite my neighbors over to make their own assessments, and schedule shooting times based on their schedules, and I text them to let them know I'll be shooting. One is an ex marine, the other s tried cop, both very gun knowledgeable.

I appreciate safety tips and all, but this is getting ridiculous. Simple question, insane, accusatory answers.

C'mon now. All in asking for us a completely silent machine gun that shoots at least one mile, remotely from an app on my phone.

Jeez

Last edited:
No, I'm not actually. What's going on here? There's literally no where in this thread where I say I'm looking for the perfect thing that doesn't exist. I keep explaining that I'd simply like to get to whatever they lowest decibel level is, that can shoot 100 yards.

Lowest does not mean quiet. Quietist also doesn't mean quiet. Lowest/quietest is probably fairly loud, but my goal here is to be a bit less loud, and I've been unbelievably clear about this.

Moreover, I've not only fully assessed where I'm shooting to and from, I've gone so far as to invite my neighbors over to make their own assessments, and schedule shooting times based on their schedules, and I text them to let them know I'll be shooting. One is an ex marine, the other s tried cop, both very gun knowledgeable.

I appreciate safety tips and all, but this is getting ridiculous. Simple question, insane, accusatory answers.

C'mon now.
You are new here, it'll take time for your BS filter to get calibrated.
It takes a while but eventually you can filter out the honest critisisms of your ideas and the batshit crazy responses that can only be from people not understanding your point of view. It seems in 2022 there is no such thing as nuance anymore, you are either onboard with the masses or you're a cunt.

As far as cartridge choice goes, the less powder you are burning the better for less noise.
A magnum rimfire will be your best choice after 22lr or 17hm2.
A small game cartridge will be next (17HH, 22Hornet etc).
17Firebal, 221 Fireball will be next, and it keeps going up from there.

17hmr is without a doubt quieter than a 223. Is it quiet, no, but quieter than other options 100%.

17 HMR for the win. Used frequently here with no pass through, reasonably quiet, (think high velocity 22), doesn’t disturb the Misses, anchors critters with a well placed shoulder shot, etc... This pic taken less than 2 hours ago. 70 yards from a second story window.
4DE1BF25-A95A-4C45-8CAE-5DC804D3F2AD.jpeg

Thank
You are new here, it'll take time for your BS filter to get calibrated.
It takes a while but eventually you can filter out the honest critisisms of your ideas and the batshit crazy responses that can only be from people not understanding your point of view. It seems in 2022 there is no such thing as nuance anymore, you are either onboard with the masses or you're a cunt.

As far as cartridge choice goes, the less powder you are burning the better for less noise.
A magnum rimfire will be your best choice after 22lr or 17hm2.
A small game cartridge will be next (17HH, 22Hornet etc).
17Firebal, 221 Fireball will be next, and it keeps going up from there.

17hmr is without a doubt quieter than a 223. Is it quiet, no, but quieter than other options 100%
Thank you for the sanity check.

I have done some R&D work on exactly what the OP is requesting, inspired by an article by P. T. Kekkonen (GunWritersontheWeb), "Silent without a Silencer." In the Winter War (1939-1940), Finnish Rangers made short-range assassination guns from captured Soviet equipment. They pulled the 86-gr. bullets from 7.62x25 Tokarev rounds and dumped some 7.62x54R rifle rounds, then loaded some of the pistol powder and the pistol bullet into the primed rifle cases. They were called "Cat Sneeze" rounds and were quiet but deadly at 5 to 10 meters from the 1891/30 Mosin-Nagants.

The key concepts are to use a very fast rifle blank powder (VihtaVuori N-310) with a rifle barrel providing a very large expansion ratio (ideally over 100:1). I reduced the combustion chamber volume to less than 0.5 cc by CNC turning 30-'06 "cartridge cases" from solid brass which allowed commercially made 170-gr swaged lead 30-30 rifle bullets to drop in atop about 2 grains of VV N-310 powder and a 30-caliber red plastic NECO gas check. [You could also use their 30-caliber "pressure fire-lapping" bullets, or cast your own subsonic bullets.] The lead bullet is held in the case with a smear of black powder "bore butter." The brass case has a standard dimension small rifle primer pocket with a long, drilled flash hole and a small internal ledge to limit bullet and gas-check seating depth. It is important to maintain the combustion chamber volume consistent from shot to shot. I got good enough accuracy in my 100-yard indoor range with the 170-gr bullets launched at 850 to 900 fps from a low-numbered 1903 Springfield fitted with a short-chambered military replacement barrel (not chambered or throated). The calculated base pressure at bullet exit was down to 150 psi at bullet exit from the 24-inch barrel. Quieter than most suppressed subsonic guns. A bit louder than a cat sneeze, but not by very much. Make a powder dipper from a fired 22LR case cut down to dip your desired powder volume. You need a peak chamber pressure of about 35,000 psi to engrave and upset these hard lead bullets and seal the bore effectively. I used QuickLOAD(c) extensively. A lab balance is also needed to weigh these tiny charges accurately enough.

I envisioned this as a fun way to shoot antique military rifles, a useful garden pest eliminator, and a fun way to teach kids rifle marksmanship and reloading skills without the noise and recoil.

Last edited:
17 HMR for the win. Used frequently here with no pass through, reasonably quiet, (think high velocity 22), doesn’t disturb the Misses, anchors critters with a well placed shoulder shot, etc... This pic taken less than 2 hours ago. 70 yards from a second story window.
View attachment 7858443
I second the 17hmr. That's my go to fox/rabbit gun. My closest neighbour is 100yards from my boundary so they'll still hear the sonic boom. I am trying to get a "muzzle break", just to disperse some muzzle blast to the sides instead of all down range.

I had complaints from neighbours about 1000yards away. Holiday homes. Fuck them. This isn't the city and I've got shit that needs shooting.

Use the smallest cartridge fit for the job. You'll take coyotes at 100yards with a 17hmr.

You shouldn't have to care what your neighbours think if you're only doing what needs to be done (legally). If you're not legally allowed to clear pest on seven acres, find a better place to live.

Look into PCP air rifles, it’s a long rabbit trail and gets expensive quickly but it’s a hell of a lot of fun and will get you where you want to be at the 130yds you are wanting to shoot with very little noise.

Look into PCP air rifles, it’s a long rabbit trail and gets expensive quickly but it’s a hell of a lot of fun and will get you where you want to be at the 130yds you are wanting to shoot with very little noise.
Thank you

C'mon now. All in asking for us a completely silent machine gun that shoots at least one mile, remotely from an app on my phone.

Jeez

An empty center-fire case with a primer is just as loud as a 22.

If you noticed, there's plenty of people telling you small rimfire is the quietest option.

You want to tell everyone they're wrong and you know better. If you knew you wouldn't have asked. So why not sit and do some reflecting on why you're arguing with everyone who responded to your question?

Reactions: 308pirate