• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rain

D5EADB6F-707A-4247-80B8-52A6165C9243.jpeg

I bailed on the notion of taking the flintlock out for the muzzleloader opener this morning... Windy and cold as hell... And then it came down in buckets about 10:00 or 11:00.

In hindsight I guess I made the right call. That would have been a long, miserable walk back to the truck.

Mike

I bailed on the notion of taking the flintlock out for the muzzleloader opener this morning... Windy and cold as hell... And then it came down in buckets about 10:00 or 11:00.

In hindsight I guess I made the right call. That would have been a long, miserable walk back to the truck.

Mike
Dont know what part of Ok youre in but its still coming in buckets here in Lawton. Radar map shows the whole front going diagonal right up across Lawton and OKC.. Dont want to complain but a little ray of sunlight would be nice., I'm starting to mold.

Reactions: jakelly
We got enough here to reduce the fire risk. Nothing significant maybe .25 inches. Pretty warm right now be temp is supposed to drop over the next 24 hours

Reactions: Sandhog308
Got to try out my tire traction last night. Flash flooding warnings going off all night.... and a little chilly at 6 am.

Dont know what part of Ok youre in but its still coming in buckets here in Lawton. Radar map shows the whole front going diagonal right up across Lawton and OKC.. Dont want to complain but a little ray of sunlight would be nice., I'm starting to mold.
Extreme NE corner of the state... I'm 30ish miles from KS, MO, or AR depending on which compass point I choose.

It was getting dry enough that my parents were having to ration their water usage due to the low level in the well... Hopefully the well is topped off along with the creeks/ponds... Mom was having to haul water for the livestock which just added to the strain on the wells.

I could have thrown the "cow's knee" over the lock on my rifle and hunted anyway... But I'm getting close to 50... Wet , cold, miserable hunting conditions are for the young guys. Besides, those deer aren't going anywhere... Might be wise to hold them in reserve the way the world is headed.

Mike

Reactions: Maggot and jakelly
The over populated state that Brandon ruined (the sandbar peninsula) needs rain so bad its not funny. Not to mention the lantern chink flies that are destroying all the red oaks.

I soo would love to leave this dump state but im a lifer

It's 9* right now.

We were the first place in the state to hit 0* for the year, but didn't even come close to the record of -26*.

I'm hoping we keep getting pounded with snow. It's way cheaper to snowmobile when you're not finding trees under 3" of snow.

Update. Today it's 28* and I just finished plowing out the block with the 4 wheeler and putting my studded winter tires on the truck.

I was working on the truck outside with a T-shirt and was sweating from the damn sun!

Highways are still packed snow and black ice, but we'll be back in the 30's this week so it'll clear off in a few days of sun.

Went from running in a singlet & shorts Friday morning, temps in the 70’s , sweated my ass off to running in 39*f ….a light rain & below freezing wind chill (25 mph N wind) this morning…. had over 2.5 inch of rain since Friday. Enjoyed the week of Fall ….hello Winter .😖

Raining again here this morning, thank you lord , fired up the wood stove for the first time since back in March, temp in the low 40 's in the texas hill country since yesterday evening, replaced my AC - Heating unit this summer and didn't get one with a heating element, just a heat pump so the earth stove will see more use from now on , and the electric bill should go down.

We'll get it, this evening in NW Louisiana. We've had a good bit of rain for the year, but it's been way dry and hot for the past five months. Farmer's Almanac says we'll have a very cold, very wet winter, but they were wrong about summer. Meteorologists are like medical doctors... a bunch of overpaid guessers.
I am in CENLA down by the artist formerly known as Fort Polk and now Fort Johnson. I have been hearing the same thing. We are supposed to get some rain today and then see the temps drop dramatically. The drought this summer kicked our proverbial rear. My neighbor sold off a large portion of his cattle because of hay availability or lack of. I found a couple of big rounds but most of the stuff I found was rice hay which isn't the greatest for horses but will work in an emergency.

We finally got some rain in North Texas, I think this storm series dumped over 12" on us. Creek is actually flowing water, there has not been water flowing through there in almost 2 years.

Reactions: BLEE and UKDslayer
Raining again here this morning, thank you lord , fired up the wood stove for the first time since back in March, temp in the low 40 's in the texas hill country since yesterday evening, replaced my AC - Heating unit this summer and didn't get one with a heating element, just a heat pump so the earth stove will see more use from now on , and the electric bill should go down.
I have gas central heat. So, the electric bill goes down but the gas bill goes up. And having that saved us during the cold snap in 2021 when ERCOT blacked us out for 12 hours. The t-stat in the house pegged at 54 F but it felt colder than that. Gas stove helped. And the two bathrooms each have built-in gas space heaters.

Reactions: lash
when I was at Sill, the ground was so dry that the cracks were about 6" deep.
It was near that my first summer here. Relentless heat. Then the rains came and everything turned green and bloomed.

Didnt compare to coming over the mountain into Florence, Az. to visit a friend. As far as you could see...with the small green spot of Florence and ASP. I cant imagine why you'd want to break out

1698683419226.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Darayavaus
Lots of folks here from Louisiana. Up in North Central we are/were getting a light constant rain. Won’t do for the lake but will keep some of the fire concerns down for a week or two. Got cold, but tis temporary. Predicted to be 80 by Saturday, then a cool down, but nothing serious. And of course, no rain forecast for the future.

Reactions: BLEE
Lots of folks here from Louisiana. Up in North Central we are/were getting a light constant rain. Won’t do for the lake but will keep some of the fire concerns down for a week or two. Got cold, but tis temporary. Predicted to be 80 by Saturday, then a cool down, but nothing serious. And of course, no rain forecast for the future.
My nephew went to Lousiana Tech in Monroe. All of my BIL's family live in Louisiana.

My nephew went to Lousiana Tech in Monroe. All of my BIL's family live in Louisiana.
Hold it against me or not, my bachelors degree is from Tech. And yes, I almost hate to admit it, I do have an advanced degree but not from Tech. Oh, our son's degree is also from Tech, but he hated it. Me, I kind a liked the school.

However, LA Tech is in Ruston, not Monroe. ULM aka NLU aka NLSC, aka Northeast Jr. College is in Monroe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronws
Hold it against me or not, my bachelors degree is from Tech. And yes, I almost hate to admit it, I do have an advanced degree but not from Tech. Oh, our son's degree is also from Tech, but he hated it. Me, I kind a liked the school.

However, LA Tech is in Ruston, not Monroe. ULM aka NLU aka NLSC, aka Northeast Jr. College is in Monroe.
I went to 2nd and 3rd and part of 4th grade in Monroe back in 63,64and 65 almost drown in the ( wash-a- tall river,that's how we spell it in texas.) Would have if my mom's boyfriend hadn't saved my ass , my cousins still live there.

My nephew graduated from Tech and is now pursuing a higher degree in Delaware. A long way from the Mississippi River and the greater area of Baton Rouge. Our youngest neice and husband (honorably served as a Marine for a number of tours) and took kids live not to far from my BIL. The older neice and her husband were living in the Big Easy but I think they moved closer to Baton Rouge.

I went to 2nd and 3rd and part of 4th grade in Monroe back in 63,64and 65 almost drown in the ( wash-a- tall river,that's how we spell it in texas.) Would have if my mom's boyfriend hadn't saved my ass , my cousins still live there.
The Ouachita can be a dangerous place to dip one's toe. Swam it a few times, skied on it, did some exploring and fishing on it. But given my preference, I preferred fishing on Bayou Darbonne or any of the area lakes. For a long time our sone was a competitive water skier, nationally ranked in the high school boys level and we traveled far and wide to ski lakes but rarely went out on the river. Of course Jimmy Griffin's ski lake was next to Bayou Darbonne's entrance to the Ouachita, so we would see a lot of traffic.

Trying to help out a friend, we sank his little houseboat raft while trying to tow it up river. Eventually got that sucker tied to the bank and all's we could do was leave it. Finally the parties we had on Pace Lake, just below Sterlington back when we were in High School were EPIC! (That would be the 1960's.) Now what isn't built up in homes (On the Wrong Side of the levy no less) is posted. The good ole days are long gone for sure.

Final Ouachita story. Ran across a group of folks on the Ouachita whose boat had broke down. Brenda and I wanted to do some fishing and did not have all the time in the world. But, can't leave a fellow stranded. So, we spent something like an hour pulling him to the Darbonne Boat Dock. The fellow got really mad at us because we would not spend another hour pulling him to the Forsythe boat dock where his truck was parked. Finally his friends convinced him to cool off as there was a phone in the store and it would take but a few minutes for a friend or relative to get his tow vehicle and drive the five miles to the Darbonne Dock/ramp. The River had enough curves it probably was at least that far and best speed towing was 2 to 3 mph.

We were glad to leave that bunch.

The Ouachita can be a dangerous place to dip one's toe. Swam it a few times, skied on it, did some exploring and dishing on it. But given my preference, I preferred fishing on Bayou Darbonne or any of the area lakes. For a long time our sone was a competitive water skier, nationally ranked in the high school boys level and we traveled far and wide to ski lakes but rarely went out on the river.

Trying to help out a friend, we sank his little houseboat raft while trying to tow it up river. Eventually got that sucker tied to the bank and all's we could do was leave it. Finally the parties we had on Pace Lake, just below Sterlington back when we were in High School were EPIC! (That would be the 1960's.) Now what isn't built up in homes (On the Wrong Side of the levy no less) is posted. The good ole days are long gone for sure.
We would often take 20 east from Dallas to Shreveport, turn south on 49. Hang a left on Opelousas onto 190 and toward Baton Rouge. My BIL does not live in the city but near it.

When our youngest neice was graduating high school, we went down there and her older sister was a pastry chef at the time. The younger neice had a boyfriend who was joining the Marines right out of high school. So, she found the USMC logo and screened it and baked a cake with the frosting having the logo.

BIL and I went to a grocery store and picked up a 20 lb bag of mud bugs for a boil. Small red potatoes, baby corn, portabello mushrooms. That all goes in the boil. And he had some leftover mud bugs from the last time and made some crawfish etoufee'. And some catfish and fried some of that.

A big picnic table in the back yard. Fresh crawfish at one end, bone pile at the other end. That was some good eating, I done tole' you one time, mon frere.

• Love
Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
The Ouachita can be a dangerous place to dip one's toe. Swam it a few times, skied on it, did some exploring and fishing on it. But given my preference, I preferred fishing on Bayou Darbonne or any of the area lakes. For a long time our sone was a competitive water skier, nationally ranked in the high school boys level and we traveled far and wide to ski lakes but rarely went out on the river. Of course Jimmy Griffin's ski lake was next to Bayou Darbonne's entrance to the Ouachita, so we would see a lot of traffic.

Final Ouachita story. Ran across a group of folks on the Ouachita whose boat had broke down. Brenda and I wanted to do some fishing and did not have all the time in the world. But, can't leave a fellow stranded. So, we spent something like an hour pulling him to the Darbonne Boat Dock. The fellow got really mad at us because we would not spend another hour pulling him to the Forsythe boat dock where his truck was parked. Finally his friends convinced him to cool off as there was a phone in the store and it would take but a few minutes for a friend or relative to get his tow vehicle and drive the five miles to the Darbonne Dock/ramp. The River had enough curves it probably was at least that far and best speed towing was 2 to 3 mph.

We were glad to leave that bunch.
We lived of of finks hideaway on bayou DeSaird in 64 the bayou was in our backyard, good times for a 8yr old boy , my mother and two brothers went back in 2017 for my uncles funeral, we tried to find the house we lived in , no way , back then we only had two neighbors for a mile on each side , now nothing but suburbs wall to wall , things sure do change in 50 years.

We lived of of finks hideaway on bayou DeSaird in 64 the bayou was in our backyard, good times for a 8yr old boy , my mother and two brothers went back in 2017 for my uncles funeral, we tried to find the house we lived in , no way , back then we only had two neighbors for a mile on each side , now nothing but suburbs wall to wall , things sure do change in 50 years.
I used to ride a lot in that direction but probably not as often in 64. Had an old nitty horse that liked to run but wasn’t much good at it. So, I would get on him, leave our home on Bon Aire, (which in those days was a strip of homes on the bayou with cotton fields across the road and then the Chauvin swamp.) ride up old Sterlington Road, cut across on Finks to Lakeshore and back along highway 80. Cannot even think to imagine what it would be like trying to ride a horse down highway 80/DeSaird in these days. (Was down there last Friday no less).

Our home still stands, but one would not recognize it. Surrounded by ULM with no mule drawn wagons going down Bon Aire Drive anymore. Heck, even the Edgewater Garten dam is a four lane highway. The Sherrouse home, (where they had Cutting Horse stables)is now a museum and the bayou is a walled in narrow lake. Funny, where the pasture fence posts once stood, little oaks took seed, now are massive oaks. Thought the place was huge when I was 8, now I know how tiny it was