• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ran Over AR-15

Hook Creek

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2010
Catskill Mountains, NY
Just got back from target shooting with a sad experience lol. Took my Remington 700 out along with my wife and her Bushmaster A3 Carbine, and as we went to go set up the targets she put her gun in its case under the car. When we came back, I thought we could shoot off the back hood of the car, so I jumped in it and drove up slightly to get it in the right position. After a few rounds down range with the 700 I realized the crushed case sticking out from underneath the tire... Yea I felt pretty damn dumb. Anyway, it looks to be fine but never happend to me before so should I go by just my own inspection? Think its safe to shoot?

Re: Ran Over AR-15

Unless you REALLY know what you are looking at I'd suggest having a gunsmith look it over before firing it.

I bet it is good to go, but a quick function check will tell you one way or the other.

another Hide member rolled over his JP, it was never the same again,,,,,,you're fucked dude....sorry for your mistake!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">another Hide member rolled over his JP, it was never the same again,,,,,,you're fucked dude....sorry for your mistake! </div></div>
The gun might be fucked but im good lol.

the tire was sitting directly in the middle of the gun, right where the barrel meets so thats what worries me. Fuck it Im jst going to fire the shit and see what happens. Maybe from MOA to shit but whatever shit happens.

hard case, but when the tire was on top of it it might as well of been soft. Its the case Bushmaster Sends with there rifle from the factory.

Sounds like you should have got an AK......sorry, couldn't help it.
wink.gif

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! I laugh because a friend did it with a bolt gun and a buggy. The only thing that saved him was that the rifle was pushed into the mud.

Hey Homer...

Boltripper is an experienced first hand in person observer of guns getting rolled over by vehicles......

i'm making book that this one is fucked also....

It may have cost you a fore-end and a barrel, I doubt the receivers are damaged.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boltripper is an experienced first hand in person observer of guns getting rolled over by vehicles......

i'm making book that this one is fucked also.... </div></div>

I guess this is true lol. I saw your post the other day about how your XTR's got messed up. Ill let you know how it goes when I test it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hk dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Me bet is the AR is probably GTG.

ARs are tough... take a look at this video.

https://danieldefense.com/TortureTest </div></div>

After seeing this Im confident there is absolutely nothing wrong with the rifle.

I was witness to an M4A1 falling out of an AC-130 from 1450 AGL. The KAC rail system broke as did the LA-5. Otherwise weapon was GTG. Even the Eotech worked. The rifle didn't lose it's zero.
I would have the barrel checked with a straightness gauge and inspect the receiver closely. The barrel is probably fine, but the receiver is weak around the ejection port area. They are stiff, but don't resist twisting motion very well and will crack. If you have some PD friends they may have an armorer. He should have a straightness gauge.
Better to be safe than grenade a weapon. Hope it works out for you.

Hopefully y'all learned that under a vehicle is not really the best place to put a weapon.....
Glad all is well though!

sorry to hear that your rifle might be messed up. If your worried I would let a competent smith chech the rifle out. I wouldnt want to loose a hand or any other body part for the gamble that the rifle might be ok to shoot.

Glad to hear it works.. just keep an eye out for odd wear on parts or any structual failures over time. Maybe shoot in lots of 20 rounds and inspect after each set for the next few hundred rounds. And use eye protection for a while if you normally don't.

Tires are rather forgiving. I ran over a pair of Costa Del Mar sunglasses with my Tahoe once.... A screw in one leg sheared, so I put a new screw in and they were good to go.

Yea I'm going to keep a close eye on it for sure. But so far so good. Maybe ill strap some explosives to it to see how it works after, plus it will look cool

alittle body armor, kevlar helmet gloves etc the next time you take it out to shoot and you'll be good...

you know, just in case.

we've had a slew of running over incidents during my deployment. Rifles, PEQ 15's, Kevlars, when i saw this I was like no way. But Rule of thumb, Heavy Stuff that moves/ keep valuables away from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pshell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was witness to an M4A1 falling out of an AC-130 from 1450 AGL. The KAC rail system broke as did the LA-5. Otherwise weapon was GTG. Even the Eotech worked. The rifle didn't lose it's zero.
I would have the barrel checked with a straightness gauge and inspect the receiver closely. The barrel is probably fine, but the receiver is weak around the ejection port area. They are stiff, but don't resist twisting motion very well and will crack. If you have some PD friends they may have an armorer. He should have a straightness gauge.
Better to be safe than grenade a weapon. Hope it works out for you. </div></div>
If you're in a AC-130, why the heck do you need an M4?
wink.gif
Kinda' like backing up a battleship with a bass boat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tnichols</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pshell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was witness to an M4A1 falling out of an AC-130 from 1450 AGL. The KAC rail system broke as did the LA-5. Otherwise weapon was GTG. Even the Eotech worked. The rifle didn't lose it's zero.
Better to be safe than grenade a weapon. Hope it works out for you. </div></div>
wink.gif
Kinda' like backing up a battleship with a bass boat.</div></div>

Hahaha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tnichols</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pshell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was witness to an M4A1 falling out of an AC-130 from 1450 AGL. The KAC rail system broke as did the LA-5. Otherwise weapon was GTG. Even the Eotech worked. The rifle didn't lose it's zero.
wink.gif
Kinda' like backing up a battleship with a bass boat. </div></div>

Well obviously he didn't need it, thats why he threw it out! It was just a weapon stress test.

wink.gif
Kinda' like backing up a battleship with a bass boat.</div></div>

lmao

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oubeta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's fine shoot it. </div></div>

I had a long range varmint rifle run over by a truck once...bent the tube of the scope and shifted the POI 4' to one side. Scope was never the same and a rebarreled the 6mm-284 to another caliber shortly thereafter so I'm not sure if something was affected on the rifle itself other than a slight chip out of the HS stock on the forearm.