• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Random Stuff

Man that's scary, could you imagine what would happen if there was any moisture in the ground!

I've got to introduce my English wife to the Abbott and Costello bit.
3 years ago I introduced her to baseball, it's been a lot of fun watching her learn the game. They are nuts about their sports accross the pond.
I'll never forget the night a ball was called on a Braves pitcher. I had gone to the kitchen to get something to drink. I hear her yelling at the TV...
"Crikey they gave him the bloody base! He didn't hit the ball! He didn't do nuffin! Damn umpire!"
Me from the kitchen: "Must have been a balk honey."

"No he didn't hit the ball! He didn't balk! He didn't do nuffin but take the bloody base! Why didn't they throw him out!"

"The ball was dead honey."

"The ball wasn't dead! The pitcher never pitched it!"

"The pitcher balked honey."

"No the pitcher didn't pitch the ball! They just yelled at the pitcher for no reason and gave the batter the base!"

"Umpire called a balk honey. Watch the replay."

"What the hell is a bloody balk? That's just wonky!"

Woman loves her some baseball.

Taking her to Braves game tomorrow evening.

ETA: That all sounds really strange I know.
"How did she miss the balk call?"

She is deaf. She hears through a Baja implant. At that time she would watch TV with it turned off because stuff like TV gets jumbled through the implant.
Christmas before last I bought her a device that uses wifi to pipe TV straight into the device. It was the first time in her life she could actually hear a TV clearly. She bacame quite emotional.

Last edited:
Believe it or not?

Air Force One, the aircraft used to fly the President of the US of A here there and everywhere is to get a new fridge. Not just any old fridge, but a US$24M Fridge.

While the US Air Force may be prepping the next jets that will serve as Air Force One, it will be years before they're ready to take to the skies. In the meantime, the two aging Boeing 747 aircraft that currently do the job need some upkeep to get them to the finish line. The latest tune-up? New refrigerators that will cost a total of $24 million. The two aircraft that currently serve as the primary presidential transports are highly modified 747-200Bs that have been in service since 1990. The Air Force needs to replace these planes with more modern technology and more efficient aircraft.

A contract for $23,657,671, awarded to Boeing, will cover two identical fridges, one for each of the jets that serve as Air Force One when the president is on board. And while that may sound like a pretty penny, it's a drop in the bucket compared to the initial $4 billion estimate for two new jets, over which President Trump has expressed his dismay.

The price tag is giant for a reason. Air Force One needs something much more sophisticated than a mini-fridge for ginger ales. The custom-made refrigerators, which are fitted below the passenger cabin, have a 70 cubic foot capacity and are designed to hold as many as 3,000 meals. After all, Air Force One is designed to be a flying White House that can stay in the air indefinitely by means of aerial refuelling, but that's not a whole lot of good if you run out of food in an afternoon.

The new, monster fridges are expected to be finished by October 30th, 2019.

• Wow
Reactions: Threadcutter308
Aircraft Armour.

During WWII, the US Navy tried to determine where they needed to armour their aircraft to ensure they came back home. They ran an analysis of where planes had been shot up and came up with the pic below.

Obviously the places that needed to be up-armoured are the wingtips, the central body, and the elevators. That’s where the planes were all getting shot up.

Abraham Wald, a statistician, disagreed. He thought they should better armour the nose area, engines, and mid-body. Which was crazy, of course, that’s not where the planes were getting shot.

Except Mr. Wald realized what the others didn’t. The planes were getting shot there too, but they weren’t making it home. What the Navy thought it had done was analyze where aircraft were suffering the most damage. What they had actually done was analyze where aircraft could suffer the most damage without catastrophic failure. All of the places that weren’t hit? Those planes had been shot there and crashed. They weren’t looking at the whole sample set, only the survivors.

Aircraft Armour.

During WWII, the US Navy tried to determine where they needed to armour their aircraft to ensure they came back home. They ran an analysis of where planes had been shot up and came up with the pic below.

Obviously the places that needed to be up-armoured are the wingtips, the central body, and the elevators. That’s where the planes were all getting shot up.

Abraham Wald, a statistician, disagreed. He thought they should better armour the nose area, engines, and mid-body. Which was crazy, of course, that’s not where the planes were getting shot.

Except Mr. Wald realized what the others didn’t. The planes were getting shot there too, but they weren’t making it home. What the Navy thought it had done was analyze where aircraft were suffering the most damage. What they had actually done was analyze where aircraft could suffer the most damage without catastrophic failure. All of the places that weren’t hit? Those planes had been shot there and crashed. They weren’t looking at the whole sample set, only the survivors.

View attachment 7055957

Simply.........Brilliant........(My God, do we need more people like him now.....) :rolleyes:(y)(y)(y)

Aircraft Armour.

View attachment 7055957

Makes sense. Just like kevlar for the head (Pilot) and kevlar for the the center of mass (Engine). No different than analyzing soldiers that make it to the hospital vs. those who die in the field.

Reactions: Barneybdb

In my case thank god.

I think this pic has some words wrong. There is a very big difference between a mother and a mom. To be a mother all you have to do is open your legs twice, to be a mom, you don't even need to do that, it takes a life time of hard work. There is also a big difference between a father and a dad.....A father is a squirt and you are done....a dad again that is not even required....and again it takes a lifetime of hard work.

My mother is currently being passed around between Stalin and Hitler....I shed not one tear, just glad she was gone and no longer being destructive to those around her.

Reactions: Mwalex
In my case thank god.

I think this pic has some words wrong. There is a very big difference between a mother and a mom. To be a mother all you have to do is open your legs twice, to be a mom, you don't even need to do that, it takes a life time of hard work. There is also a big difference between a father and a dad.....A father is a squirt and you are done....a dad again that is not even required....and again it takes a lifetime of hard work.

My mother is currently being passed around between Stalin and Hitler....I shed not one tear, just glad she was gone and no longer being destructive to those around her.

My mother is the single worst thing that has ever occurred in my life.

Aircraft Armour.

View attachment 7055957

It's a bit more complicated than this old myth.
http://www.ams.org/publicoutreach/feature-column/fc-2016-06

Reactions: Barneybdb