• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range 4 Quantico...Are you ready Skip? The Gunny and Brian are calling you out!

eodcam

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2011
Panama City
Get out your Vintage Snipers and Vietnam era Rifles and Head to Quantico. Sept 21-22, we're holding our Vintage precision rifle match! The last two have been a great time and there's no reason this won't be also. You never know who will show up and with what, its a great history lesson. Speaking of lesson's there two guys waiting to be taught a lesson by a certain guy that shoots a Nagant! Skip...

Check out the Quantico shooting club website for details!

Quantico Shooting Club

The Match

The two young guys know the old guy with the Mosin Nagant sniper is on their heels.

I don't have to shoot well but they just got to beat me or never hear the end of it.

I also don't want to hear this snivel we ain't shooting 1000 yds cause a certain shooter with a VN era
sniper rifle does not have enough elevation in his scope to hang at 1000 yds. I got tons of elevation
left in this Soviet 1943 dated PU scope on the 1000 yd line.

Last edited:
I think thats the only reason they shoot the way they do! Found out a Model 70 and the Lyman hang just fine at 1000. The PU may have the elevation, but can you see 1000 yds through it! LOL!

Now that you ask

I think thats the only reason they shoot the way they do! Found out a Model 70 and the Lyman hang just fine at 1000. The PU may have the elevation, but can you see 1000 yds through it! LOL!

I was shooting just fine last match at 1000 yds and so was Devious 6 , my PU sniper team mate.

So, 70 year old sniper rifles, mid 60 year old soldiers shooting them: we are ready to hit 1000 yd line

and when you belly up to shoot at 1000 yds , look over at us. We'll be giving you a run for your money !:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

For the guys shooting the Mosin Nagant. Did Quantico change this,"Also, no Eastern Bloc ammunition can be discharged on any of the Calvin A. Lloyd Complex." ?

If you can't use Com Bloc ammo are you rolling your own or making Mexican Match ammo?

Last, what is the course of fire and match rules? I read the Quantico site but didn't find anything other then the paperwork needed five days before a match.

Skip and I reload for the Mosin.

I'm not sure what the course of fire will be. We normally shoot 300 and 600 yards on day 1 with some combination of individual and team. Typically, they allow unlimited spotters for 5 minutes followed by 20 exposures for 15 seconds each. Targets are pulled and marked, then reset for the next shot.

Day 2 last time was 600 and 800 yards. Then we moved to 1000 yards with 10 rounds, no spotters, 10 minutes and targets were pulled and marked after each shot.

The prohibition on 762x54R ammo is no longer in effect any more.
We shoot reloads but I think some this year will use M75 heavy ball Yugo ammo or Russian 762x54R Match or "Extra" ammo.
The match is 4th weekend of Sept. There will be a range bulletin posted on sign up times and fees. Guests of the club
have to sign some waiver paperwork for the Marine base, which you can do on sign in, not 5 days prior anymore.
Last year we paid $30 per day which included target pullers (Navy Jr ROTC rifle team making money for their team).

Last year on Day 1 we did CMP style 300 and 600 yd team target engagements, 15 sec target exposures, then shot 600 individual again for individual score.
Day 2 was 600 yd , 800 and 1000 yd events. 600 and 800 had 15 sec exposures , ten minutes for ten rounds at 1000 yds. No spotters at 1000 yds and I
am guilty of throwing the no spotters in on that stage: add a little rigor to the day !!!

One thing you take away beyond all the fun and good experiences is a thorough handle of shooting your rifle 300, 600, 800 and 1000 yds. That is a great take
home bonus !!!

The prohibition on 762x54R ammo is no longer in effect any more.
We shoot reloads but I think some this year will use M75 heavy ball Yugo ammo or Russian 762x54R Match or "Extra" ammo.
The match is 4th weekend of Sept. There will be a range bulletin posted on sign up times and fees. Guests of the club
have to sign some waiver paperwork for the Marine base, which you can do on sign in, not 5 days prior anymore.
Last year we paid $30 per day which included target pullers (Navy Jr ROTC rifle team making money for their team).

Last year on Day 1 we did CMP style 300 and 600 yd team target engagements, 15 sec target exposures, then shot 600 individual again for individual score.
Day 2 was 600 yd , 800 and 1000 yd events. 600 and 800 had 15 sec exposures , ten minutes for ten rounds at 1000 yds. No spotters at 1000 yds and I
am guilty of throwing the no spotters in on that stage: add a little rigor to the day !!!

One thing you take away beyond all the fun and good experiences is a thorough handle of shooting your rifle 300, 600, 800 and 1000 yds. That is a great take
home bonus !!!

He also wanted to run from Yardline to yardline between strings!

Yes , at age 65, I did say that and see no reason why not.

However, its not a issue for others as they stoned me for saying it.

Of course, if you can't run with your sniper rifle & gear and you're YOUNGER than me, you can fill in the blanks

Last edited:
Who are the two guys humping all of their gear from line to line in ruck sacks, instead of using carts filled with gear and sandbags?

Yup, the two old Army colonels.

I hope ya'll take advantage of every min. you have there.....So wish I was able to make it this year. Such an opportunity. Have a blast men!!! Cheers!

The match is going to be shot on the 3rd weekend of Sept 21&22.We have a long range black powder match on the 28&29.

I've seen Mosin's used at CMP GSM Vintage Sniper matches, I wasn't impressed. Personally I like a cheek weld, but that's just me.

To be competivie I'd go with the Springfield's, M1903a4/M1941s, they win most of the matches.

Although, I just fired the Wyoming CMP Vintage Sniper Match at Cody (Sept 5-6), this match was won by M1D's.

I've seen Mosin's used at CMP GSM Vintage Sniper matches, I wasn't impressed. Personally I like a cheek weld, but that's just me.

To be competivie I'd go with the Springfield's, M1903a4/M1941s, they win most of the matches.

Although, I just fired the Wyoming CMP Vintage Sniper Match at Cody (Sept 5-6), this match was won by M1D's.
And I've used Mosins to beat Springfields in VS matches. They can be competitive and it's not always the rifle, alone.

And I've used Mosins to beat Springfields in VS matches. They can be competitive and it's not always the rifle, alone.

Go John. And you are right, the shooter is a big element, as is the ammo.

Skip and the Col. have beaten quite a few 03's too but often an M40 wins. At Quantico they are allowing M40s and I think M70s as well. It is not CMP in those shoots.

When you have about 70 or 80%(I do not know the exact number but over 50% I would bet from looking at the pics of the matches) of the rifles being 03s, they are gonna dominate. When you can use a new Criterion barrel, made by a match barrel maker, or easily change to a new HS, SA or RA barrel, and add a 8X scope, you gonna have a bit of an advantage over a 3.5X 70 year old scope and used 70 year old Mosin barrel. Finding a new manufactured Mosin barrel is not gonna happen and it would not qualify anyway.

Just got off the phone with Walter Walsch jr.and he won't be able to shoot this match.Seems like the Col(Walter Walsch sr) will be getting inducted into the USSSpA hall of fame the 20th in Col.

Outstanding and couldn't happen to a better man and shooter than the Col.!!!

We've still got plenty of surprises coming up for the match so stay home and be square or come on out and see whats going on???

See you there!!

Steve

Yep you can shoot the VN era sniper rifles, M40,M21, M70, etc...along with the CMP listed snipers. You can also shoot the M40A3 and A5 but your score won't count against the "Vintage" precision rifles.

And the Prospector is right, you never know who or what will be out there!!!

It was awesome to shoot the M40 and M70 with the Snipers who carried them and shot them in combat and hear their point of view on the weapons. Also to check out issued weapons and actually see how they were configured, talk to 2112's who build USMC sniper rifles, you'll see that just because it was that way in a book, doesnt mean it was the only way it was done. It's a great time and history lesson.

Last edited:
How does that work. Can't use bipods in CMP VS Matches, you can either use slings or sandbags (not both).

Personally I shoot better with slings