• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft range estimation?

tylerg95

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2009
can someone explain the range estimation formula. the mill part confuses me the most? thanks

Re: range estimation?

thank you for the link. i am still unsure about it when it says, divided by the target size in mils?

That would be when looking through the scope how large is the target in relation to the mildots or hashes on your reticle.

I will try to make this simple.

If I take the horizontal line of my reticle and place it at the base of the target and count up mildots until I reach the top of my target that will give me my answer.

Think of a mildot reticle as a ruler. The space from center to center of two mildots is one mil. Just like the space in between two numbers on a ruler is 1 inch. So just like a ruler the area between those numbers can be broken down to smaller increments like 1/2" or 1/4". It is the same with a reticle. Half the distance between the center of two mildots would be .5 mils or 1/2 mil.

So if my target when measured was from the horizontal line up past the first mildot and half way to the next, my answer would be 1.5 mils.

So if I am ranging a 6' man it would look like this

For meters: 72" x 25.4 = 1828.8 1828.8 divided by our 1.5 mils = 1219.2m
For yards 72" x 27.77=1999.44 1999.44 divided by our 1.5 mils =1332.96 yd

Hope this helped and didn't confuse you more. I didn't have time to post some pics that would have helped you visualize it.

Cheers,
Andrew

finally! yes that does make sense. thank you VERY much

Bright lightbulb shining over my head! Sometimes I need to be hit over the head several times for the lesson to sink in. Thank you.

If your ranging a man, I would estimate on his torso since just about everyone's torso is about 16", waist to top of chest, but everyone isn't 6'. I understand you might be giving an example but I wanted to give my explaination too. :~)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerg95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can someone explain the range estimation formula. the mill part confuses me the most? thanks </div></div>
Go to this link it is a training aid for mill dot ranging.
http://www.shooterready.com/mildot.html

Go here to practice what you have learned.
http://www.shooterready.com/lrsdemolow.html

Victory got it right with the math
(size of target in inches x 27.77)/mil reading
in addition to this suppose that you don't have a person as target you can get range est. on roughly anything. power meters are 6" so that is reference. doors from bottom of door to the knob is about 36". These are tactical applications. the key to good range finding is to completly solid in your rest when taking the reading of the mil-dots,1/4 1/2 and 3/4 these make a huge difference. the human head is 6" wide and 9" tall approximately; thus you can use that for a mil reading. hope this helps with your knowledge.