• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Finders under $1,000

ut755ln

Rub some dirt on it
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2011
Houston Texas
My googlefu couldn't quite find what I was looking for so I thought I would pose the question here. I am looking to buy a hand held range finder, not binoculars. My budget is up to around $1,000. The range finder will have two purposes 1) I hunt in West Texas and repeatedly have the opportunity to take long shots and would like to be able to range deer 2) Steel and paper targets out to a mile if possible.

Contenders

Leica 1600
Bushnell Arc 1600
Zeiss Victory
Leupold RX 1000
Swarovski Laser Guide 8x30
Vortex Ranger 1000

Re: Range Finders under $1,000

I have a Swarovski. Very good on deer etc. out to 1000 or better if you can find a spot to range one. If you are going to try and range a mile you'll probably need a very large reflective target. Pickup size at least.

Glass is good. You have to put up with the fact it is a monocular. Keeps the purchase price down I suppose. All in all I am satisfied thus far. I have owned the RF for almost two years.

The price is within your range but it sounds like you would be better served by Leica Geovid or Vectronix. Extreme long range lasering is very expensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would really like to get behind the Vortex to see how well they work. </div></div>That is part of the reason for the question. I just haven't been able to use all of the different models.

The 6mm site has a review of some of the different models but it is a little dated.

I've been able to test all of them that you have mentioned and hands down the Swarovski out ranges them all. Some of the others mentioned have features that the Swaro does not have and the only complaint I've ever heard about the Swaro is the donut reticle. (I'm not sure why some guys I shoot with have such a big hang-up about the reticle on the Swaro, but they do)

I'm able to range at 1-mile (1760 yards) about 90% of the time. At 2000 yards, I'm able to hit about 40% of the time. I've never seen any of the other's you've listed able to get a reading at 1 mile.

From all the research I have done - I haven't been able to use/try all of these, your going to have a problem hitting small targets at a mile with any of the above.

I have pretty much determined I need the Terrapin for 1 mile plus, so its just a savings game for me now. The reviews on the Vectronix products are all very good that I have read. The only con is the cost. So, since its like $800 more than you have to spend, I would say you need to determine what is more important, ranging at 1 mile, or cost. I decided that I need to save more and get the better (significantly) product.

Re: Range Finders under $1,000 (BUSHNELL)

Look at Bushnell's Fusion line of LRFs and read my post here today on my own Fusion 10X42 LRF binos.

You can find them for about $750. - $780.

Leica 1600

Leica 1600. Can't speak for the others, but use it for work and for hunting and consistently get good ranging out of it. It's under $800 pretty much everywhere. Just noticed your out to mile requirement. My buddy just picked up the Vectronix last month and I was able to use them this past week. Very robust and will get your distance, just more $$$. You'll need to spend it to reliably range a mile though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steelhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been able to test all of them that you have mentioned and hands down the Swarovski out ranges them all. Some of the others mentioned have features that the Swaro does not have and the only complaint I've ever heard about the Swaro is the donut reticle. (I'm not sure why some guys I shoot with have such a big hang-up about the reticle on the Swaro, but they do)

I'm able to range at 1-mile (1760 yards) about 90% of the time. At 2000 yards, I'm able to hit about 40% of the time. I've never seen any of the other's you've listed able to get a reading at 1 mile. </div></div>

Mine must be broke or finicky then. I can't range a 4ft diameter tree at 650. I've only seen over 600 a hand full of times. Only seen over 900 twice and 1 time over 1000. I have tried a lot, trust me.

On edit; mine has been mounted in a tripod 25% of the time and its rock solid when ranging.

I've had all on your list except the vortex and the Swarovski takes the cake. Mine had no problem hitting reflective target well beyond one mine. Trees and deer could be ranged beyond 1000.

That said, vectronix are NICE.

I've had similar experiences to that of powerstroke. Bought a Swaro a couple years back on a good deal at gander mountain. While it is the best rangefinder I've had to date, anything small over 600 can sometimes been hard to get a reading on.

A perfect example of this was I was out shooting with a buddy and tried ranging a deer out at 750-800 on a bright sunny day. Using my gun as a rest, I couldn't range that damn deer for the life of me. I finally did get it after about 10 tries when it was broadside.

Large targets have never been an issue, as I can easily range a water tower from my house at 1800 yards, but it's pretty hard to miss. Can range wood lines fairly easily as well out to 1000.

Sorry to turn this into a review, but I think a lot of people get caught up in ranging the farthest thing they can see. Not what it will actually be used for. My swaro's will be up for sale shortly and upgrading to a terrapin if that says anything.

Jason

Leica 1600B
Make sure its B
Its the best, it has ballistic calculator, awesome for long range hunting.

I had the swavo and didnt care for it. The reticle was really big and mine was not centered. I had to hold at the bottom of the doughnut. I now have the 1600 and like it alot. I know there are better out there but for the money I think they are hard to beat.

I've owned the Swaro and the Bushnell 1600. I sold the Swaro to buy the Bushnell. Sure the Swaro glass was great, but the Bushy outranged it everytime.

I was fortunate to pick up the bushnell at a recent match, and I'm impressed with my initial results. I maxed out at 1630 yards for buildings around the house, but that is exactly what they say it can do.

My wife and I spent an afternoon, in intentionally bright mid-day sun, at Cabela's a couple of weeks ago to compare the Leica 1600B / Swarovski 8x30 / Bushnell Fusions. First of all the Bushell Fusions were disturbingly blue and I could barely read the yardage readings even after covering an eye piece with my hand. As an Aerospace engineer for 30 years I can't imagine how this design made it out the door...so these were rejected almost immediately. The Swarovski's had VERY impressive optics for a monocular, but also an 8 year old technology. ie it took 2 seconds to derive an answer, and because the beam was so wide at 1100 yards, it consistently ranged an object 200 yards beyond the intended target. ( it consistently ranged 1300 yards at 1100 yards and that is a miss ). The Leica 1600B was very fast and very accurate. So if you desire a rangefinder ONLY for under $1000 (this can be had for $800) the Leica is an EASY WINNER. So I had Cabela's hold the Leica 1600B for my wife and I as we walked around the store. Cabela's also had the NEW Swarovski EL Range behind the counter for only $3000 but I refused to let the salesperson hand those to me (out of my price range). I elk hunt in Colorado and NEED a good rangefinder and great binoculars. Unfortunately, at the moment I had neither that qualified as good and HATE carrying both. So my wife and I walk into the Bargin Cave and there are a new pair of Swarovski EL Ranges. We negotiate a reasonable price and I am the THRILLED OWNER of the combination I really needed. Anyway...If you are looking for a great Rangefinder for under $1000, the Leica 1600B is the EASY WINNER. But if you elk hunt and only want to carry a single optical device (beside your rifle scope) dig deep and get the Swarovski EL Range (it blows away the Leica Geovids!). If you hunt VERY VERTICAL terrain (mountain goats) and can't afford to carry 31oz Swarovski EL Range vs 14oz Swarovski 8x30 then I would go with the Swarovski 8x30. (actually, I think I would still carry the extra pound and go with the vastly superior optical capabilities of the Swarovski EL Ranges...hell I'll give up beer for a week and drop the extra pound)

Last edited:
Leica 1600B for me. Ranged a mule deer standing broadside on a slightly overcast day at 1081yds. Went down the road a little farther and got a pickup windshield at 1696yds. I do have to say that, using reflective paint on all our steel targets has helped immensely. Especially past 8-900yds.

I have the vortex, its the only LRF i have used other than some 450 bushnell model. I have ranged a cat at @300yds, a goose at @200yds and the farthest ive ranged was 837yds. I rechecked the range 10x everytime except 2 were within 1yd, i was ranging a large pine tree in the tree line out the window at work, the 2 failed readings were from the fog rolling in i believe.

A range i shot a match at went to 600 yds and every steel on the range i was able to get a good #, except at the 600yd steel as it was battered and blended into the backstop, but i ranged the backstop and got 605yd.

So far i have only played with it while out hiking or messing around at work, within the next week or 2 i will have it out on the farm doing some scouting and making my range cards for ground hog killin. For the $$ i think its a great buy if you need one for hunting etc where it may get banged up/broken as its covered under Vortex's life warranty.

I have the Leica 1200...works great and I wouldn't trade it for the Swaro. I think it has a better price to performance vs the Swaro.
Great quality glass as well.
I've ranged non-reflective objects out to 1100yrds with no problem with the Leica.

Leica and Swaro are the only two choices I, personally, would consider.
I've heard mixed reviews with the Vortex and have done no research on the others on your list.

I have a Leica 1600B and Ive read 1700 yards on it before. As long as the target you are ranging past 1200 are reflective it does the job. It picked up a white plate at 1539 yards a few weeks ago without issue. The Leica has several modes that you can track a moving object, useful for hunters. I have no experience with the others so I can only speak from my experience.

The reason I stay with my swaro is:

Glass is so good at least as it applies to hunting in the east I can leave my binos in the drawer.

Long range is not a problem. I noticed some of the posts above talking about it taking two seconds to receive a solution. This will go away if you keep it fitted with a fresh battery.

Due to the better glass, the low light capability of the swaro appears to outshine everyone else. I routinely get returns of 500 yards plus way after dark.

It just occurred to me that there is certainly another use for this product. You sit it up to observe the drive way when your daughter's date brings her home so you can switch on the floods at just the right time and when other fathers at the range hear about this I would imagine that you could keep it rented every Friday and Saturday night.

I have the Leica 1600 and have had good luck with it and the glass is very clear for such a small pocket sized package.

I have the Leupold 1000. I have been very happy with it. I have ranged out to 1000 yards with it and it has held up well. Last Aug. I used it on a hunting trip on Afognak Island and that place will test you and your equipment.

After having several different LRF, and a few from your list I am happy with my terrapin. The price really isn't that bad if it is your first LRF as it took my 3 turns on trying to save money which really just made me spend the money of 2 terrapins. Get the terrapin and don't even think otherwise. It's LRF capabilities are much greater than the others. Glass is great and you can mount it on a tripod like I do and can switch it out with my spotter very fast. Important since you mentioned one mile stuff. One mile really requires a vectronix product IMHO for dependability and accuracy.Good luck

ZEISS PRF ....it cost about 600....and the glass is great ..I ranged out to 1400 with it...

I'm using a Zeiss LRF. Went shooting a couple days ago, was picking up on rocks ( 3 foot, 4 foot, 5 foot size ) at 970yds, 1100 yards, and the farthest was 1385. These are the first and only laser rangefinders I've ever looked thru or used, and I'm very happy with them. Glass is very sharp and clear.

I have used almost all of them and I thought i would never say this but the high end Bushnell rangefinders are as good as any for the money. I sold swaro binos and leica rangerfinder to go to the bushnell fusion (rangerfinder and binocular in one) and love them.

I have a almost new (Sept. 2012) Swarovski 8x30 LRF for sale. We used it a few times and it works 100%. The only thing I don't like about them is the push button for the laser is very sensitive and sometimes get pushed while in its case in my pack causing the battery to drain. If you're interested in them I am selling them for $800 plus shipping.

would really like to get behind the Vortex to see how well they work.

Really??? They are JUNK. Took it back the next day and bought the ziess. It,s rated at 1300 yds but I get over 1400 all day long and it does not have to be reflective, it can a pile of dirt and it will range just fine. Lieca is great piece and now that I shoot farther I use it. It will range over 1900 yds, if you can hold it still. It's very hard for me to range at that distance without a tripod. The ziess is more user friendly IMO and I love it. I did look through a swaro the other day and loved it.
Good luck.

I have gotten my Swaro to range street signs at 1952, using another sign post as a rest. Not exactly stable. I have ranged hillsides at 1500+ consistently. The ONLY thing I don't like is the size, I love the size of the Leicas, but the performance and glass in the Swaro is top notch.

I have the Leica 1600 and I'm very happy with it and the crystal clean image.
AND it comes alive at night in the dark playing with cars and trucks

I have gotten my Swaro to range street signs at 1952, using another sign post as a rest. Not exactly stable. I have ranged hillsides at 1500+ consistently. The ONLY thing I don't like is the size, I love the size of the Leicas, but the performance and glass in the Swaro is top notch.
How many of your targets are going to be wearing street signs? The Leica 1600B has a much narrower beam and will range objects instead of hillsides,
Skip

I have owned or used almost all of them and it depends what you are going to use it for the most. The swaro will range the farthest consistently(my second one I range 1999 yards off hand first one wouldnt range 200) but the laser is twice as wide and will have a harder time ranging smaller objects on flat ground or in thicker cover, and if it will not range 1500 plus it is broke send it back they will fix it. The leica 1600 and 1600 b will range 1900 but not all of them. I used 12 and rated them all for the store, most would do 1400 plus one would only get 1100 most of the time the three best would do 1800-1900 all the time. The ziess has the best laser as far as its the fastest and the smallest but will only do 1400 on a good day, 1300 most days. The bushnell are good I have used them the least and they seem to work well. I would say that the swaro and leica are the best at long range for the money but if you truly want to range a mile plus you will need the next level.

Leica 1600B. Small (fits in a shirt pocket), easy one-handed operation out to 500-600y, and quick. They're awesome. I live in Missouri and hunt in Colorado (grew up there) where long shots are the norm. Great product for the money.

The Swaro's range great, if I had extra cash I'd but Tim3gun's in a heartbeat. If I were buying new and paying retail I'd get a Zeiss PRF (for just a rangefinder) and if I were looking to hunt and range I prefer the Bushnell 1600ARC binos.

I like the Zeiss because it ranges as well as the Swaro's and Leica's, for less money. If I need true 1 mile capability a lot, I'd do everything I need to do to make a Vectronix happen, as all the $600-1200 models pale in comparison. Anecdotal reports of "I can range 1600 with my XXX" are very subjective. The Vectronix are the ONLY models I've seen hit MOA sized targets past 1K in field conditions.

How many of your targets are going to be wearing street signs? The Leica 1600B has a much narrower beam and will range objects instead of hillsides,
Skip

OP wanted to range steel and paper at a mile, which count as reflective targets, no? I was just trying to illustrate that I could range a non-reflective targets at a mile as well. I guess I should have been more specific on what on the hillside I was ranging. Oh well.

ETA: This one ranges to 700m and is $395 http://www.swisslink.com/products/antiques_collectibles/swiss_range_finder-1-1614/ :D

Last edited:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steelhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been able to test all of them that you have mentioned and hands down the Swarovski out ranges them all. Some of the others mentioned have features that the Swaro does not have and the only complaint I've ever heard about the Swaro is the donut reticle. (I'm not sure why some guys I shoot with have such a big hang-up about the reticle on the Swaro, but they do)

I'm able to range at 1-mile (1760 yards) about 90% of the time. At 2000 yards, I'm able to hit about 40% of the time. I've never seen any of the other's you've listed able to get a reading at 1 mile. </div></div>

Mine must be broke or finicky then. I can't range a 4ft diameter tree at 650. I've only seen over 600 a hand full of times. Only seen over 900 twice and 1 time over 1000. I have tried a lot, trust me.

On edit; mine has been mounted in a tripod 25% of the time and its rock solid when ranging.

I'd say there is something wrong with yours. I love my Swarovski and I can range houses and rocks at over 1500 easily off hand. If its small I can lean against something and be stable enough to get small items like 12" steel plates at a thousand.

I use the Leica 1600 extensively for hunting and LR shooting. It's light and I keep the case clipped to a loop on the shoulder strap of my Eberlystock pack for easy reach without dropping my pack. In bright light, I have a hard time reading beyond 1000 though.