• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Range Finders?

Re: Range Finders?

Hydro, I'll wait for your review before ordering anything. Shit, I might just order it too and see how it goes.

I sent my (3) LRF's to <span style="font-weight: bold">LoneWolfUSMC </span>

We're looking for someone with a Zeiss so John can do a in depth review on them all.

From the Zeiss Web Page
Victory 8x26 T PRF: Beam Divergence 4.0 x 2.0 mrad

Where does this fall? Is it the widest of the three brands?

I've used Bushnell, Leica, and just acquired a slightly used Swarovski laser rangefinder for $450 from a friend
grin.gif
The Leicas work well in good weather conditions, but in crappy weather not so good. The bushnells are bulky, but have worked well for a couple of years. The swaros are very nice...range the furthest of all, but I don't have enough experience to make a good judgement yet. Initial thoughts are GOOD!

Here's a review on 6BR.com on rangefinders, FWIW:

http://www.6mmbr.com/rangefinders.html

I researched this a good bit a year ago and ended up going with the Zeiss. -Could not be happier with my choice.

Thanks for the comments, but not looking for opinions. Just want the straight dope.
From the Zeiss Web Page
Victory 8x26 T PRF: Beam Divergence 4.0 x 2.0 mrad

Where does this fall? Is it the widest of the three brands? smallest? In the middle?

Widest...unless you hold it sideways. Then it's the tallest.
smile.gif

I purchased a pair Leica range finders about 4 years ago and they started acting up last year. By the way I own Leica binos and they have stood behind them. I sent the range finders back to Leica last year and they told me the warranty was up and they don't work on my model anymore. They told me that I could get the new model for dealer cost (450 bucks). I already purchased them for 450 bucks the first time. My response was if I get a new pair for 450 bucks now in 3 years I've spent 900 bucks and I should have got the Swaros. Has anyone had this issue with warranty from the range finder manufacturers? I own 3 Nightforce scopes and don't mind paying for optics if they are going to stand behind their products. I'm trying to decide if I should just go cheap or get Swaros. If the 2 year warranty is true for all then it's better to get cheap and expect them to be disposable.

thoughts....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROCKer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I purchased a pair Leica range finders about 4 years ago and they started acting up last year. By the way I own Leica binos and they have stood behind them. I sent the range finders back to Leica last year and they told me the warranty was up and they don't work on my model anymore. They told me that I could get the new model for dealer cost (450 bucks). I already purchased them for 450 bucks the first time. My response was if I get a new pair for 450 bucks now in 3 years I've spent 900 bucks and I should have got the Swaros. Has anyone had this issue with warranty from the range finder manufacturers? I own 3 Nightforce scopes and don't mind paying for optics if they are going to stand behind their products. I'm trying to decide if I should just go cheap or get Swaros. If the 2 year warranty is true for all then it's better to get cheap and expect them to be disposable.

thoughts.... </div></div>

I have a Leica 1200CRF I have had no problems with it at all in the 2+ years I've had it,even on open grasslands.My previous one was a Loupy RX-IV,it would not even range at 500 on a Deer,it was history after that hunt.A friend has had his Swarovski for the same time,it's a bit bulkier,but seems to range about the same.We compared them with one of the better Bushnells,and it did surprisingly well,much better than the pricier Loupy.I would take the Bushnell if I were on a budget,it's a pretty good unit,the glass ain't that great,but it ranges really well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mammal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Widest...unless you hold it sideways. Then it's the tallest.
smile.gif
</div></div>

It sounds like people like the zeiss optics better than the Leica, but its laser's specs arent quite as impressive. IMO these arent intended to be binoculars, they are a ranging device. The quality and capabilities of the laser are the primary purpose of a LRF. Seems to limit the choice to Swaro or Leica unless someone wants to step up to a Vector. So its $500 or $900.

There aren't many options but I'm going to call Zeiss and Swarovski tomorrow about their warranty and ability to repair them in the future. If they can repair them past the warranty for a fee I'm buying Swarovski. I'll post an update to my calls.

I spoke with Leica and Swarovski this morning about warranty. Leica told me to send mine back in again and they would review the case. I called Swarovski and they told me that the warranty was two years on electronics but they would correct any problems after the warranty. I asked them what the average charge was past the warranty and he couldn't give me a number. I of course asked why and he said because they haven't charged anyone yet! WOW, I'm getting Swaros if they want repiar my Leicas.

When you send it back to Leica, send it attention Christian and make mention on the note you send with it that <span style="font-style: italic">"Doug @ Camera Land said he's sure that this can be taken care of under warranty"</span>

Thanks for the name and infomation on the range finder. I'll send it to his attention and drop your name. I will also update everyone on what they say.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had a Leica LRF 1200. Was very impressed with it. My needs didnt require use beyond 1K. I recently added a 338LM to the collection and now want something that will work further out. I traded up to a Zeiss PRF with Scott. Should have it Friday. will post a review this weekend. </div></div>

Did you get a chance to take your PRF out?

I just got off the phone with Leica and they informed that they changed their policy on repiars and told me to send them back in. It will be a few weeks but I'll let everyone know if they stand behind them.

I wanted to give everyone an update on Leica. I sent back my LRF 900s to Leica and 4 days later I have a brand new pair of CRF 900s. That's what I call service and standing behind a product. They have always stood behind my binos and now I have confidence in them for all my optics.

Is the LRF 1200 even made anymore? All I can find is the CRF 1200.

I ended up spending a bit more and bought a used Leica Geovid in 8x40 from Samplelist.com

Having my binocular and range finder combined is so much more convenient, especially on hunts where you are out hiking around. If you are looking at spending money on a range finder and a high quality pair of binoculars, the Geovid's are worth considering.