• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

**RANGE REPORT** 6XC Surgeon/JP build UPDATED 8-17

BgBmBoo

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
So I put some glass on my new 6XC build. Took some Norma brass out of the bag...just chamfered the mouth was the extent of my case prep...and put 38.5, 39.0, 39.3,and 39.5 grains of H4350 of powder in them in groups of five. Seated 107 gr. SMK's in the lands. And hit the range.

Looks like this dog is gonna hunt! Next load work will be done at 300 yards.

I have to say....the first round was a bit scary for me. Having built your own rifle is a lot of fun, but a little nervous too. And thinking about all the money tied up in parts hoping it will shoot. No let down on this one.

Take care,Stan

Top two pics are from my sell phone...sorry for the crappy quality.

Re: **RANGE REPORT** 6XC Surgeon/JP build

Looks great. Gives you that warm fuzzy feeling when a plan comes together.

Great Job Stan, looks to be a shooter as well.

My XC loves 38.2 grains of H4350, Berger 105's +.015" in, WLR Primers and Tubb Brass.

Coyotes beware!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks William. This one seems to like the 38.5 grain load. My last 6XC ran the best at 39.1 grains with 115 DTAC's.

Take care,Stan </div></div>

Why the switch from 115s to 107s?

I have close to 1000 107's and use them in my Surgeon Scalpel so I am just going to run with them till I am out.

I never could tell a difference between the 115 DTAC's and the 107's in my last 6XC. Same powder charge, POI, come ups,etc.

Take care,Stan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You bring a fan to the range ??? </div></div>

You bet....when the avg. temps here in the summer are around 105+...every little bit you can do to keep the rifle cool helps. Plus it helps keep the mirage off the barrel down.

Take care,Stan

I got a call from Moon last week letting me know that the 25" Bartlein for my 6xc had been chambered and installed onto my next Templar build. It was chambered specifically for the 115 DTAC's, so I guess I'll be on the phone with SSS tomorrow.
grin.gif

Very nice, even got a fan cooling off the barrel. I feel somehow that I've inadvertantly neglected my Surgeon.....

Stan,
That is a great looking build. And looks like a sweet place to shoot.
laugh.gif

Cheers,
LS

How do you like the stock? Is it your first one? And do you
like it enough to buy another?

Sweet looking set up!

I have only put 25 rounds through the rifle so far so my impressions of the chassis are based on very limited time behind it. So keep that in mind.

I really like the ergonomics of it. If you like a AR-15 platform then you will like this chassis. The PRS "stock" adjustable for LOP and comb. So it will fit most shooters.

I really wanted something a bit different...not your standard AICS or McMillan based build. And these type of chassis's have been calling to me. I would also like to try a McCree, PDC,etc.,one of these days. I know these style of chassis/stocks are not everyone cup of tea, but I like to step from the norm.

The machining and finish is very good...and it is very solid. It has a "set screw" that tightens against the recoil lug and once the action is torqued to the chassis it is not going anywhere.

JP got it right (IMHO) going with AI style mags. Makes it easy to find new ones if needed. The chassis come with two 10 rounders.

Lets see...oh...and using standard AR type grip makes it easy to change the grip if the factory DPMS target grip does not suite you. I think I will swap this one out for something different.

Cons....if you can call it that. The folding butt is a cool feature, but my gripe is that it does not lock in the folded position. So if you have it folded and pick it up and are not "favoring" it to one side, then the stock will slam open.
I doubt I will ever use the folding feature just cause it won't fit in my gun hard case I use with it and when folded it takes up two spots in my safe.
again...that is about the only thing I have so far in the negative category.

Oh...and if using it with the Surgeon 591 action (and probably others of that type) it is not a drop in fit. I covered all that in this post: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...208#Post1968208
I do not consider this a con as this is a custom build. And pretty much everything that needed to be done for this chassis would have had to been done to a AICS.

So there you have it. Yes...I would buy another one.

Take care,Stan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You bring a fan to the range ??? </div></div>

You bet....when the avg. temps here in the summer are around 105+...every little bit you can do to keep the rifle cool helps. Plus it helps keep the mirage off the barrel down.

Take care,Stan </div></div>

dsc048341024x768.jpg

Seems to work for ya !! Sure is a nice shoot'n rig .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have only put 25 rounds through the rifle so far so my impressions of the chassis are based on very limited time behind it. So keep that in mind.

I really like the ergonomics of it. If you like a AR-15 platform then you will like this chassis. The PRS "stock" adjustable for LOP and comb. So it will fit most shooters.

I really wanted something a bit different...not your standard AICS or McMillan based build. And these type of chassis's have been calling to me. I would also like to try a McCree, PDC,etc.,one of these days. I know these style of chassis/stocks are not everyone cup of tea, but I like to step from the norm.

Thanks for the reply. It used to be so easy to pick a stock
but now there are so many options....

The machining and finish is very good...and it is very solid. It has a "set screw" that tightens against the recoil lug and once the action is torqued to the chassis it is not going anywhere.

JP got it right (IMHO) going with AI style mags. Makes it easy to find new ones if needed. The chassis come with two 10 rounders.

Lets see...oh...and using standard AR type grip makes it easy to change the grip if the factory DPMS target grip does not suite you. I think I will swap this one out for something different.

Cons....if you can call it that. The folding butt is a cool feature, but my gripe is that it does not lock in the folded position. So if you have it folded and pick it up and are not "favoring" it to one side, then the stock will slam open.
I doubt I will ever use the folding feature just cause it won't fit in my gun hard case I use with it and when folded it takes up two spots in my safe.
again...that is about the only thing I have so far in the negative category.

Oh...and if using it with the Surgeon 591 action (and probably others of that type) it is not a drop in fit. I covered all that in this post: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...208#Post1968208
I do not consider this a con as this is a custom build. And pretty much everything that needed to be done for this chassis would have had to been done to a AICS.

So there you have it. Yes...I would buy another one.

Take care,Stan

</div></div>

Stan,

What kind of $$ are you into on that rig?

Thanks,

Dark

Stan,

What length/mfg barrel is that?
What is the COAL of the loaded rounds?

I use the ogive measurement all of the time but the next build i'm thinking about is going to be 6XC, but the current stock i have is limited in magazine length & need to know if it will fit with 107's & 115 DTAC's.

Tony

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: awp762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stan,

What length/mfg barrel is that?
What is the COAL of the loaded rounds?

I use the ogive measurement all of the time but the next build i'm thinking about is going to be 6XC, but the current stock i have is limited in magazine length & need to know if it will fit with 107's & 115 DTAC's.
Tony </div></div>

Hi Tony.
I use the ogive as well. But the OAL should be around 2.750" with 115 DTAC's. YOu should not have a problem with SA mag length.
The barrel is a Bartlein 5R with a 1:7.5 twist finished at 28". Not sure of the taper/profile. 1.350" @ the receiver and 1" at the muzzle. It is HEAVY.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Okoyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been interested in the chassis stocks. What does that stock weigh? Nice setup!</div></div>

Not sure what the chassis weigh. JP does not list it on their website. It is pretty light though...4-5 lbs I am guessing??

Take care,Stan

So I took off at first light to do some more load work for my new 6XC build. I was just playing with seating depth...powder charge weight was the same for all groups at 38.5 grains of H4350. Bullets ate 107 grain SMK's. Avg. velocity is 2950 fps.

Started my seating with the bullets jammed and worked down in .010" steps. Rifle seems to like to jump the bullets. Best group was .837" w/a 30 thou. jump. Yes there is some vert. going on but the ES and SD #'s are low so I am going to run with this load for my next 1000 yard shoot and see what it does at distance. But for now....I will take sub 1" groups at 300 all day. I pretty much can not shoot any better then this.

Take care,Stan

Stan,

Looking good on those groups & stick. Ended up getting the bartlein in 30" 1 in 7.5tw 1" at muzzle. Probably will cut it down to 28" & the install the badger brake. Changed build to use to Pierce action versus the sako A2 that i had. Thanks for the updates! keep them coming.

Tony

Wow... excellent groups! Looks like you were right about those slightly lower velocity loads being the ones to go with.

I'll look forward to hearing how your rifle does at 1000 this weekend!