• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report Range Report 700P

Douglas-001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2012
50 miles west of Camp Perry
Greetings members!

I'm a noob and would like to share targets with you and hopefully get some feedback and or advice. I'll try to be brief and concise. First up was on 1-15-12. Range was 200 yards. Shot from the bipod. Rifle is stock except for the trigger which I was able to bring down to 3 lbs. 40 rounds total.

11-2-08384.jpg

Fast forward one week and I try a few different loads, this time I shot from a rest while prone. I also weighed the brass for the Bergers, and just like last week neck sized the cases. I did shoot much faster this time, the barrel wasn't too hot, but was very warm to the touch. Temp. was about 20 degrees, last week was actually colder. Here's what shook out at the same distance.

11-2-08385.jpg

In the first photo, some rounds were actually off target, just as in the second. The first groups come in at just over 2", so just over 1 MOA, maybe 1.5? 1.75? I cut the squares on the second target at 2"X2". I was hoping for some better results. I made no scope adjustments on the second target, but was shooting different bullets. Here's an old pic of the rifle.

The glass is VX-II 6-18X40. I was considering a move into a Mark 4. Can members help me talk myself into this new optic? Would that be a good move? 26" barrel with the Harris bi-pod.

HPIM0487.jpg

I read alot here as I have found that many members have all their stuff in one bucket and really know how to shoot a rifle with glass. Personally, I have a handful of points towards a Distinguished badge, but really like this rifle and look to gain more knowledge here. Maybe even take some lunch money at my club! HA! I welcome any feedback, questions, or emotional outbursts. A tremendous forum! Good luck and good shooting to all!

Doug

Re: Range Report 700P

Use some smaller dots to aim at. Or a corner on the black squares. Your groups are probably larger because your not lined up on the same spot every time.

Here's my totally stock untouched 700P using A-MAX TAP 2700fps at 200yds, low prone, bipod. Leupold 4.5-14. You're in the ballpark, doing great! Be happy and keep going.

200yd-sm.jpg

PS, the gun is much better than me. Today during 100yd zero, I put 4 rounds in a row almost exactly thru the same hole. Believe me it was luck more than skill! The 700P is an awesome weapon. Some day I hope to do it justice at longer ranges where I suck.

Somewhere between a quarter and a half dollar using Silver Bear ammo at 100 yards. Nikon 3-9 scope, bipod off a bench.

Cannot wait for better glass and real ammo. Used the Silver Bear to get it sighted in.