• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ranging with MOA recticle

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
Is it easier to range with a MOA reticle than a Mil reticle?

If one MOA is 1 inch at 100 (I know it isn't exact) does it make it easier to range because it the reticle measures X MOA for target size when you do the conversion you are already using inches and yards at that point.

I hope this makes sense. I am typing it out at 5 am.

Re: Ranging with MOA recticle

The easiest reticle to do the math with is an Inch Per Hundred Yard reticle - see the formulas in the link below.

However, the best way to do the math is to get a Mildot Master, in which case what the reticle is becomes irrelevant.

Ranging Formulas

So would the best combination be a IPHY reticle and turrets? Do they make such a beast?

Any reason why doing a Mil/mil would be better than a IPHY/IPHY?

U.S.O. makes scopes with IPHY reticles and adjustments. I repeat, though, that the best way to handle reticle ranging is to get a Mildot Master.

Pick a reticle you like, and get a scope which adjusts in the same system. For me, my preference is a Gen II mildot scope with mil adjustments - but taste varies. Having a system which adjusts in the same system the reticle is graduated in is a distinct advantage.

If you can multiply by 100, and you have a iphy reticule, you can probably live without a mil dot master.

If you have to solve UKD problems without a laser rangefinder under time restrictions, using a Mildot Master is the fastest way to do that. There are many slower ways.