• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rare Tornado Clusters hit the South East.

oregon

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2011
Portland, Oregon
www.designavs.com
Hope all our gun shooting friends down south are all fine and well. Glad not too many Tornadoes here. This weekend hear clusters of tornadoes devastated the south. <span style="color: #3333FF">"At least 45 people died and hundreds more were injured or left homeless after tornadoes erupted over Oklahoma on Thursday, barreled across much of the Deep South, then hit North Carolina and Virginia before moving out to sea Sunday." Just in "Raleigh, NC — where as many as 95 tornadoes roared through Saturday afternoon and evening, killing at least 22 people, and sending 130 to hospitals, some with critical injuries. The storm also destroyed 130 homes and heavily damaged 700 more".</span>

More of the WSJ article with video is at:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704613504576269203314573920.html

Mother nature can be so random. At the same time similar events have happened this time of year before.

<span style="color: #3333FF">Extreme Weather Accompanies Spring Across Region

Major clusters of twisters are relatively rare, though extreme weather is fairly common across the southeast in the spring.

A few notable events:

April 2010: A tornado barreled through 17 counties in central Mississippi, killing 10 people and leaving a swath of devastation more than a half-mile wide.

March 2008: A tornado hit downtown Atlanta, ripping holes in the roof of the Georgia Dome stadium and leaving about $100 million in damage in its wake.

March 1984: A storm in North and South Carolina produced 22 tornadoes that killed 57 people and injured another 800, according to the National Weather Service. Roughly a third of the victims were in mobile homes

April 1974: Called the "super tornado outbreak" by the weather service. On April 3-4, 148 twisters traveled more than 2,500 miles, killing 330 people. In all, 13 states were hit: Alabama, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia.

May 1840: Historical records indicate that 317 people died when a tornado devastated Natchez, Miss

—Jennifer Levitz</span>

Re: Rare Tornado Clusters kill 45 in the South East

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UgwJfoZ-12c"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UgwJfoZ-12c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Had two here the previous weekend, tore up a lotta shit, but only a few minor injuries....coulda been FAR FAR worse considering the damage done.

My BIL is fire/rescue down in eastern VA dealing with that mess this past weekend....fatalities, a lot more injured, there.

Another storm brewing this way....strange damn weather, lately.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UgwJfoZ-12c"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UgwJfoZ-12c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

This dude must have a death wish! Or maybe he just needed a new truck and figured that would be a quick way to get some insurance $$. Either way, Badass video...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had two here the previous weekend,
</div></div>

One of those missed my house by two blocks. We didn't have any houses that were completely destroyed in our nieghborhood, but a few are missing a lot of roof and one is missing it's garage, lots of trees and power lines down and a few commercial buildings heavily damaged.

I hope all you guys in NC are doing well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 168BTHPM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of those missed my house by two blocks.</div></div>
Too close for me. Glad it sounds like you and yours didn't get hit. So random.

In the WSJ today is more about how many houses were hit including things like, "Nationwide has received more than 12,600 claims from North Carolina" at:

Tornadoes Blast Property Insurers

Re: Rare Tornado Clusters in the South East in 2011

There are 4 Tornados on the ground in Alabama right now.
12 hrs ago a line came through with multiple tornados and up to 120mph straight line winds. Major damage all over central AL.

Unknown numbers of deaths from this mornings storms and more developing as I type this. Weather man just said wind shear of 138mph in one tornado in Walker Co, about 40 miles west of Birmingham

Keep these folks in your prayers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: css</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are 4 Tornados on the ground in Alabama right now.
12 hrs ago a line came through with multiple tornados and up to 120mph straight line winds. Major damage all over central AL.

Unknown numbers of deaths from this mornings storms and more developing as I type this. Weather man just said wind shear of 138mph in one tornado in Walker Co, about 40 miles west of Birmingham

Keep these folks in your prayers.

</div></div>

Man, probably the same system that hit us last night. Seemed like every 5 min the weather guy was calling a new tornado warning where one touched down. There are usually bad storms around here this time of year, but this was the worst I can remember.

Yea, its all the same line. Weather guy just said one in Tuscaloosa has a 174mph shear winds. We watched it come through town on a tower camera mounted near the UA campus. It was massive!!!

That guy needs another hobby!

"I'm ok. Don't worry for me."

A terrible afternoon and evening for MS and AL folks, now moving into GA. Been watching coverage all evening.

A warning has just been issued for 2 AL counties just northwest of my location.

Prayers to all who have been affected by this severe weather outbreak.

Catoosa County, Georgia has just called in for a "mass casualty trailer" (morgue on wheels); not good. This has been an unbelievable week. Our tornado sirens sounded once this week, (ironically after the tornado warning was called off) but we lucked out..those weather radios are worth their $30 bucks when you are huddled in a cellar...
Prayers out to all those in the tornados path...

so far they are reporting about 45dead in al. massive damage in many different cities. lots of damage near my house and shop, but both are fine at this time. ill be going to cullman early in the morning to check on some land there. lots of families left without homes though. the damage from today is supposed to greatly exceed the inland damage we saw from katrina here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: offroadr1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so far they are reporting about 45dead in al. massive damage in many different cities. lots of damage near my house and shop, but both are fine at this time. ill be going to cullman early in the morning to check on some land there. lots of families left without homes though. the damage from today is supposed to greatly exceed the inland damage we saw from katrina here.</div></div>
Dang!

Thank you all for the updates today.

Hope you and yours are OK - sending good vibrations out there. As they say, Mother nature sure can be a bitch sometimes. And so random.

all my close friends and family are in the clear as far as i know. good friends of mines grandad lost his house.

Re: Rare Tornado Clusters hit the South East.

Yesterday there was huge activity with over 250 tornadoes:

110427_tornado.jpg

Bermingham, AL is bad. Northern AL had the most deaths, with entire towns flattened. More including live video at:

250 Massive Tornadoes hit the Southern USA Again - 2011 situation explained

800 tornadoes in this last month have been reported. "Nearly 300 Die in Six Southern States as City Neighborhoods and Farm Towns Are Leveled; FEMA Mobilizes for Cleanup", and article where picture above came from is at:

Tornadoes Leave a Trail of Devastation

In the next 7 days more storms are expected - weather patterns not changing for a while.

Guys you have to see the damage to believe it. I have had reports of people roaming around disoriented with limbs severed after the tornados hit. I honestly never fully realized the true power and fury of mother nature until yesterday. Here in AL most of our tornado experiences are from watching them on TV.

I sincerely hope our other members in northern AL are doing alright. Its hard to imagine that place I was just at recently, are literally erased. I am in the western part and we mostly just saw some rain and lightning. My thoughts and prayers are definitely with all the families effect from this disaster.

"Nearly 300 Die in Six Southern States as City Neighborhoods and Farm Towns Are Leveled; FEMA Mobilizes for Cleanup"...

"Residents of Alabama, Mississippi and four other Southern states picked through their splintered communities Thursday as state and federal authorities mobilized to clean up and rebuild after scores of powerful tornadoes killed nearly 300 people in the most deadly storm cluster to hit the nation in 37 years.

Residents mourn following the deadliest tornado outbreak in decades. Untold numbers are homeless in the wake of the storms. Video courtesy Fox News.

The fast-moving funnel clouds destroyed homes and property across six states over two days. Twisters blew apart churches in the small rural town of Smithville, Miss., flattened homes in the tidy suburbs of Birmingham, Ala., smashed poultry barns, uprooted power poles and flung cars wildly about." and more at:

Tornadoes Leave a Trail of Devastation

Hope everyone here missed most of the mess! And keep your head down as with the Gulf and Ocean conditions when some experts say it could continue for a little while longer.

Such a random sad tragedy.

"Aid Reaches Some Areas Flattened by Tornadoes; Death Toll Nears 330 in 7 States, Tops 1974 Storm ...

At least 329 people were killed in the devastating tornadoes and storms in seven states on Wednesday and Thursday, authorities said, topping the death toll from a powerful storm system in 1974, when 310 people were killed.

Across the region, National Guardsmen and local officials enforced curfews and set up checkpoints in some towns in an effort to keep out looters, as the full scope of the devastation started to become clear." And more including video at:

South Struggling With Cleanup