• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Rattler on my shooting berm!

Lucks

Team Roberts Precision
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2009
Central Texas
Ran down to paint the targets real quick this weekend and when I got back to my shooting berm this rattler was laying up on top of it! Needless to say, I was a little nervous laying down prone after that. Kept wondering what was going to crawl up behind me!

Re: Rattler on my shooting berm!

so how did ya shoot
smile.gif

crikey ! rather you than me !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Kept wondering what was going to crawl up behind me! </div></div>

That would not have been a concern for me as he would have been laying in the back of the truck .....headless

That is the after picture.
Big rock gave him a headache!

I was worried about his big brother showing up.... the snakes are really moving right now in Texas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How did he taste?</div></div>
mmm snake - tastes like chicken

carry a sidearm? it adds to the real world pressure lol. where you able to concintrate on your shots. ? HAHA I would have lopped off his head. dont like em lol

Did you at least keep the rattler? You should have kept it. They are really moving right now. We have been seeing more over here than we usually do. Seems like everytime I take the dog to the water to retrieve we are running in to them.

Good excuse to go out and buy a "snake gun."

..."Well honey, I had to! See, there are these rattlesnakes..."

Ah, sweet. Better to kill ´em now, because one day they will be bigger than you and then they will take over...
grin.gif

AW HEY NICE GUY THERE!! What is that about 3 ft? Gotta love those diamondbacks! They've been poking out a lot now over here. Been running across some real aggressive ones too! I don't mind rattlers cause they atleast give you the courtesy of letting you know they are going to bite you.

Even snakes (beheaded) in the back of a pickup can cause folks to hurt themselves. <g> Just ask me. <bg>

"Hey, come here and lookie what I found!" Then watch them jerk their heads back in lightning fashion.

If you leave Noah's pDog rig out too long you may well find one of these snuggled up and mating it
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ran into 2 in Montana. Lots of them here too. Never liked them,never will.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you leave Noah's pDog rig out too long you may well find one of these snuggled up and mating it
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ran into 2 in Montana. Lots of them here too. Never liked them,never will.</div></div> </div></div>

LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mk4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even snakes (beheaded) in the back of a pickup can cause folks to hurt themselves. <g> Just ask me. <bg>

"Hey, come here and lookie what I found!" Then watch them jerk their heads back in lightning fashion. </div></div>

Yep, I agree! If they had a YouTube video of me running up the berm and coming eye to eye with that rattler it would have to be titled, "Man Jumps Through His Own Asshole"
smile.gif

Yes, that would make me kind of jumpy about laying down to shoot as well.

i am afraid of rattle snakes. But i would shoot them or cut them or whatever i have in my hands i will kill it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mk4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even snakes (beheaded) in the back of a pickup can cause folks to hurt themselves. <g> Just ask me. <bg>

"Hey, come here and lookie what I found!" Then watch them jerk their heads back in lightning fashion. </div></div>

Yep, I agree! If they had a YouTube video of me running up the berm and coming eye to eye with that rattler it would have to be titled, "Man Jumps Through His Own Asshole"
smile.gif
</div></div>

I know what you mean Lucks...lol

Can't stand them. Dog got bit last year and almost killed her. She is trained now. I almost got bit last week in the shop and today I almost step on a copperhead coming in the front door at work. They seem to love metal buildings. Hell I've seen them curled up in the dash of a John Deere gator. Absolutely hate the damn things!

Yeah, they are out. I have killed a few lately.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SheepDogHOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> cause they atleast give you the courtesy of letting you know they are going to bite you.</div></div>

They don't always rattle......

Almost makes you want to carry an Uzi as a sidearm. I wonder if you can get those, in a belt-fed variant?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hugo121175</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only good snake is a dead snake.....
wink.gif
</div></div>

LOL I rather deal with the rattlesnakes than neighbors, with the snake you know the outcome, pedophiles, drug dealers, DWI's, poaching - all scum & no snakes.

hmmm - Maybe I should start introducing them to our area LOL the snakes moved out when the scum moved in
laugh.gif

i think snakes are cool, as long as they cant kill me or my dog. i have had boa's for pets growing up. but since im married now, wife say's no to snakes. she likes guns though!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have killed 10 so far here around the house, And they have all been those dammed Mojaves, I hate those green suckers.
Steve </div></div>

No kidding?

The bite from those are not hemotoxic like your average western diamondback but neurotoxic like a cobra...and very aggressive from all that I've heard.

Luckily we have lil gardner snakes here, harmless, more helpful to the environment.

The thing about rattlers guys - you kill them off and you get a rat infestation - they eat LOTS of rats.

Hope you buried the head though, it would suck to be walking along and step on that sucker!!

Few years back when I worked in the oil fields in Wyoming we were doing seismic testing with dynamite, you couldn't find a rattlesnake within 10 miles of us - they don't like ground vibrations very well. Screws up their sense of direction or something.

I've usually killed 10 or 15 by this time. Only got one so far this year. I'm sure they're there, grass is just too tall to see them this year.

Hey all,

Am I the only one around here not to mind snakes? Not into killing them either, weird I know but there you go... I now feel like a greenie, how funny is that.

b

We don't have many in S. Indiana so I prefer to just steer clear of 'em. Moved one out of the road last fall so it wouldn't get run over. The wife will cross 2 lanes of traffic to kill one though.
JH

I killed one with a shovel this past weekend. He was moving away from me at a rapid pace so I pinned him where I could which was about mid-way down his back. As soon as I pinned him he flung around at warp speed and sprayed venom all over the front of my legs. Not a good thing when you're wearing a swim suit and flip flops. Thankfully I didn't have any cuts on my legs that the venom could enter. Fun stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcalaustx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I killed one with a shovel this past weekend. He was moving away from me at a rapid pace so I pinned him where I could which was about mid-way down his back. As soon as I pinned him he flung around at warp speed and sprayed venom all over the front of my legs. </div></div>

What kind of snake was it? Didn't know of any snake in Texas able to project or propel venom.

I once killed a diamondback and cut his head off. Took the head and showed it to one of my boys and pulled the fangs out that were folded underneath the top of his mouth and while they were unfolded, I pressed on his nose and out came the venom.

I think most snakes can do what he is talking about. The snake was striking and the vemon was being deployed and was just flung out of its mouth. It not like a spitting corba!

I think the energy associated with his whipping around flung it. Regardless, it scared the piss out of me but I, not he, prevailed in the end.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I was a little nervous laying down prone after that. Kept wondering what was going to crawl up behind me! </div></div>

going to need the "tactical rear view mirror" mounted on a rail.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">going to need the "tactical rear view mirror" mounted on a rail.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

smirk.gif
Ha! That's good stuff right there!

You might want to patent that idea.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcalaustx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the energy associated with his whipping around flung it. Regardless, it scared the piss out of me but I, not he, prevailed in the end. </div></div>

That makes sense. If a pit viper had the room to thrust and it was stopped in mid-strike, I could see where whatever he had loaded in his fangs would turn loose.

Peter Hathaway Capstick once wrote in one of his books about a situation they encountered on a Safari where one of his gun bearers crossed paths with a spitting cobra. He said that these snakes had orifices much like a water pistol and are amazingly accurate up to about 8 feet. Their tendency is to hit whatever is shiny. In this case, he hit the gun bearer right in the eyes and the man fell immediately to the ground in bloody agony. Another "quick thinking" bearer jumped on his chest and made Hathaway hold his arms down and keep his eyelids open while he urinated on them.

A bad day for that guy all the way around but he survived the ordeal.

Snake vemon and human piss in the eyes, now that a few things I don't want in my eyes. LOL

Most bites happen June-August. FYI, they stopped making coral snake venom here in the US. Still OK on CRO-FAB though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mk4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have killed 10 so far here around the house, And they have all been those dammed Mojaves, I hate those green suckers.
Steve </div></div>

No kidding?

The bite from those are not hemotoxic like your average western diamondback but neurotoxic like a cobra...and very aggressive from all that I've heard. </div></div>

Yup MK4 they are nasty little bast@#$s They arent to aggresive this time of year but when they start moulting they get mean as hell