• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS Free Bore Tool?

CVO

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2008
Tampa Florida
I bought the RCBS head space mic and freebore tool and I have a measurement .076, but I get lost on the directions at this point. What do I use the .076 for?

Re: RCBS Headspace Mic?

If it's what I'm thinking, You screw the top part on a fired case, make a note which line it lines up on, lube and run the case through your sizer, measure again and see how many lines it screws down to compared with the first. Screw your die down till the case chambers like a virgin round, usually two lines, your shoulder bump is now finished.

I'm not very good a explaining on paper and probably have you totally confused...anybody else??

I am sorry, I am trying to get the bullet seating depth to contact the lands using the freebore tool, I explained it wrong.

I use the Stoney Point tool with the screw in cases. I may switch to a comparator and measure off the ogive. They work better with bullets with meplats.

I have the OGIVE tool from Hornady, but I am trying to get the distance to the lands using the freebore tool.

I figured it out, the OAL comes out to 2.881 and the OGIVE is 2.287 using a 168SMK. At these lengths the bullet is against the rifling.

This is a R5, so I guess they have a lot of free bore space.