• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS X-Die Experiences

josh.rizzo

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2014
Has anyone tried the RCBS X-Die in the realm of precision shooting? I've been using it for a couple months with .308WIN and I'm liking it so far. I was wondering if anyone else has ever used these for a precision load, and if so, what were your thoughts? If you haven't tried them, then maybe this thread will give you some ideas.

What it does: It prevents your cases from expanding during resizing by limiting the growth with an adjustable lip at the top of the die. If you case is already too long it will crumple the neck and ruin the case, but if you use it after every firing then your cases never need trimming (except possibly on the first sizing, depending on how you set it). I've been using it for 3-5 firings of some Lapua brass and all of the cases are within the same length and tolerances that I measured when they were brand new. Additionally, since you are not removing case material from trimming every time, the brass life should be extended and you should get more consistent performance.

Trimming with a good trimmer will still get you more consistent case lengths, but it depends on what your personal tolerances are and if the other benefits outweigh that. I'm sticking with the X-Die for now, but if I ever become good enough to out shoot my load, we will see if thats one of the things that needs changing. I'm using the FL-sizing version but they do have a neck-sizing only version as well. Anyone better than me using these dies?

Last edited:
I am not a "precision shooter" but I like to get as much accuracy out of my loads as possible without sacrificing reliability and universal fit in all my guns. I use X dies for all my 223 and 308 loads and have had no problems at all. Mine are also (heaven forbid) small base. I like them and recommend them for their designed purpose--keeping case trimming to a minimum.
Bear in mind your brass will still "flow" forward toward the neck using heavier loads and case head separation is just as likely as it has always been. The paper clip check is still valid.

I have not heard of this "paper clip check"... Can you give me a quick low-down on that?

yes, you take a paperclip, straighten it out, and put about 1/4" 90 degree bend in one end. You sharpen that end, so it is pointed, and insert it into the case. You then scrape the inside if the case along its length, to detect and evidence of a "snag"---this will indicate a possible case head separation, as those begin with a ring of thinner brass on the inside of the case. This ring will catch on the paperclip, and you will know to stop using that brass.

yes, you take a paperclip, straighten it out, and put about 1/4" 90 degree bend in one end. You sharpen that end, so it is pointed, and insert it into the case. You then scrape the inside if the case along its length, to detect and evidence of a "snag"---this will indicate a possible case head separation, as those begin with a ring of thinner brass on the inside of the case. This ring will catch on the paperclip, and you will know to stop using that brass.

^^^^What he said. The ring of death is normally just above the case head. When you look at the outside of a freshly-resized (FL) case, you will probably see a bright ring around the case just above the head. This is where the brass gets thinner with every shot and will eventually separate if you keep loading it over and over. The hotter your loads the faster this occurs.

Good to hear you've had good luck in the precision realm using these dies!

I am not a "precision shooter" but I like to get as much accuracy out of my loads as possible without sacrificing reliability and universal fit in all my guns. I use X dies for all my 223 and 308 loads and have had no problems at all. Mine are also (heaven forbid) small base. I like them and recommend them for their designed purpose--keeping case trimming to a minimum.
Bear in mind your brass will still "flow" forward toward the neck using heavier loads and case head separation is just as likely as it has always been. The paper clip check is still valid.

Good to hear you've had good luck in the precision realm using these dies!

Just a bit of clarification if you are referring to me. I get far more accuracy than I can utilize being the knuckledragger I am, but I would not go so far as to say I'm in the "precision realm". I manage to get sub-MOA at 100 yds on a good day from all my POS guns with ammo tailored for each particular gun. Good days are few because I just rarely get enough time to not be in a rush when I go shooting. Always something "more important" hanging over my head which affects my shooting form etc.

I've been using X dies for years for my match loads in 308 with no complaints or issues. Cuts back on trimming...

Just a bit of clarification if you are referring to me. I get far more accuracy than I can utilize being the knuckledragger I am, but I would not go so far as to say I'm in the "precision realm". I manage to get sub-MOA at 100 yds on a good day from all my POS guns with ammo tailored for each particular gun. Good days are few because I just rarely get enough time to not be in a rush when I go shooting. Always something "more important" hanging over my head which affects my shooting form etc.

I don't get to go to the range nearly as often as I want, but when I do, I strive for quality over quantity. I refuse to be rushed, even if I have a series of things I want to accomplish. I prioritize my list of things to accomplish, and have left the range several times without finishing the list. What things I have done, however, I am pleased with the results, or at least know what I need to work on.