• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Night Vision re: KAC PVS-30 refurb- Do you remember the first time you fired your suppressed rifle?

WaltHer

Felipe Forevuh
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2009
hillbilluns, montucky
UaFqx7B.jpg All right, before anyone jumps my shift about posting on the wrong forum, just bear with me a few minutes...
I wanted to start a new thread regarding my observations on the KAC PVS-30 I recently received from Robert at Ready Made Resources. A couple of notes on the unit I received: 1) It was in stock when I ordered it and was promptly shipped and delivered in two days as agreed upon by RMR. 2) The FOM stamped on the unit and written on the box is "1792". 3) As stated by RMR it appears to be in very good condition- a couple of very minor scratches through the finish, a small scratch in the finish, some visible wear on the power switch and battery cover, and some visible rubbing on the bottom of the objective. Other than that all looks like new. All accessories stated in the add were included including a verification form from KAC stating that the unit tested correctly.

Before I get into my observations about it's performance a couple of small disclaimers: 1- I only have got to shoot it one night as fire restrictions where I live prohibit shooting from noon to 0600. 2- There was no moon during my initial testing ( the .gov specs state full moon and 1/4 moon performance). 3-My use on 2/3 nights was only under starlight with lots of smoke in the atmosphere and no other nearby ambient light (streetlights, houses, etc.) 4-My only other experience with I2 NV equipment is my G3 PVS-14 and some assorted weapon mounted IR flashlights/ IR lasers. All that being said, here goes.
Night 1- Suburban area, some ambient lighting, max distance 150yds. Unit tested in 2-10x32 NF NXS and 7-35x56 NF ATACR F1
NF 2-10-Unit gave a clear image with little gain at all magnifications, as expected using the illuminated reticle at low power improved reticle visibility against dark background. I had some difficulty getting a finely focused image, especially when transitioning from illuminated back-yard area at 75yds (clear) to dark treeline at 150 yds (not as sharply focused despite using PVS' focus ring.

NF-7-35x56, parallax set to infinity- Image was at its best at no greater than 17x, beyond that the image became too grainy to be usable, even when adjusting gain/focus on the PVS. At 15-17x the image appeared somewhat grainy, but usable for target aquisition.

Night 2, rural area, very dark,no manmade lighting, distances to 490yds, Cloudy skies, with smoke, under cover.
NF2-10, delivered the clearest images, worked fine up to 10x, Was able to clearly identify fixed targets at all magnifications to 350 yds, could resolve 5" plate at 100 yds, but couldn't resolve ghilly suit outline laying on ground next to target.

NF 7-35- Still maxed out at 17x before the picture degraded to a point it wouln't be usable. Could resolve 15" plate at 480yds., Couldn't resolve ghilly suit at 100yds. OTAL and Surefire X400 IRV lasers could provide viable aiming reference to at least 300 yds. Any attempt to use Surefire IR flashlights (X400, Scout 600 IR, V1 Vampire) succeeded only in completely washing out the image through the PVS when weapon mounted or in only illuminating nearby foliage and creating a steeper contrast with more distance targets. These did not appear to be the right tools for the job in this application, unlike the PVS-14

Night 3, Mountain high country above 10K ft. ASL, no manmade lighting whatsoever, about 1 hr after sunset (2230 hrs, it was getting cold fast) so some residual sunlight and clear skies above, no moon.

NF 7-35 engaged 2 MOA rock surrounded by snowfield for stark contrast at 707yds. I set up the shot waiting for the sun to set, but didn't begin shooting until the targets were no longer visible in the snowfield without the PVS-30. Went 17/20 with DT SRSA1 6.5CM, all impacts on target clearly visible by sparks flying (pretty cool to watch) so no discernible POA/POI sift noted . I shot this at 17x with no illuminated reticle. More mag would have rendered the image too grainy to really be usable, especially if you were trying to aquire a target. The beam from the OTAL was just barely visible on the snow 10" above the target through the PVS-14, and still pretty clearly through the PVS-30. This session worked out really well, other than I still wish the image would have been more sharply focused (still a little blurry despite gain/focus adjustments) and less grainy. Very usable image, but wasn't PVS-14 with IR light quality).

My final thoughts so far: If you want to shoot things at night this thing works! Furthermore, I have no idea what else you would buy for double the money that would be better. I need to try it out when there is some moonlight or in an area with more manmade light. Any advice on a weapon mounted IR illuminator that doesn't wash the image completely out like the aforementioned Surefires would be greatly appreciated. I have never used a DBAL/ATPIAL so please share. In conclusion if you're like me, the first time you fired your suppressed rifle and got a snap instead of the Hollywood inspired "only hearing the action cycling" you were a little disappointed, but now you couldn't imagine shooting without one. Well, that's how I feel about the PVS-30 for now.

If youre going to be shooting prone a weapon mounted ir light sucks. They create to much ground wash killing your image. A laser illuminator is really a must have for long range target engagement with a clip on. It can be done with torches but the wash hurts unless you're off the ground.

Can't say why your image isn't clear aside of try adjusting your diopter on your day scope while using the clip on. Many times that works with clip ons and I'm guessing it will with yours.

Lastly, magnification is not you're friend with a clip on and really not needed. I shoot targets to 1k plenty running 8-10x. Resolution is the key and no variable power scope is gonna have a big enough exit pupil to give you a fantastic image at high mag. 12-15 is as high as I go with supplemental illum.

Thanks a bunch for the write up! I have been considering buying one of these for months now but haven't been able to find one close enough to me to try yet. All of the rifles I would want to use with it have Vortex 2.5-10x32 (PST or HS-LR) scopes on them, so I was glad to see you included your thoughts while looking through the NF 2-10 (NF being higher quality of course). In case you have also used your PVS-14 to look through that same optic, how would you say the image compares between the two? If this had been a trial run, do you think you would've purchased the PVS-30 after using it? The majority of my night shooting takes place inside of 100 yd, which is part of the reason I have remained on the fence with this potential purchase. Thanks again for taking the time to type all of that up!

PEQ15 or PEQ2A for the win. I have both, and after using them, whenever someone I know shows up with a DBAL or Surefire V light, etc their next question is how do they get a 2A or a 15.

With the 4 guns I use at night depending what I'm wanting to do or the area I'll be going I'll bring anything from a carbine relying on a IR laser/illuminator and helmet mounted PVS14 trying to get coyotes to come as close as possible to me, to a bolt gun with a PVS30 and PEQ2A (the illuminator is brighter/stronger than the 15) and hitting them at 400+ yards. With the distance guns I usually need to bring a guy running a spotter with a PLRF15 on it and using either the clip on or a monoloc'd PVS14 to help me scan and then locate a target using the IR lasers and range it.

For the shorter carbine distance, things like a DBAL or any of the non restricted 'civilian' stuff will do fine. At longer distance is where the 2A and 15 shine because where you'd get a faint hint of light with the weaker units, they turn it into daylight. Equally important is the IR laser as that is really the only way at night, that you and someone else will be able to walk each other in on a target.

Completely off-topic, but how did you mount your terapin like that?

Try to find a Luna laser illuminator. They show that they are class 1 but if you remove the set screw and filter it's about 90mw like the older ones.

It's definitely not peq quality. When you adjust the laser focus narrower or wider the "zero" wanders. I replaced the bed screws for the adjustments with thumb screws. I like that the power level is variable and it only weighs a few ounces.

Try to find a Luna laser illuminator. They show that they are class 1 but if you remove the set screw and filter it's about 90mw like the older ones.

It's definitely not peq quality. When you adjust the laser focus narrower or wider the "zero" wanders. I replaced the bed screws for the adjustments with thumb screws. I like that the power level is variable and it only weighs a few ounces.

You say it's not Peq quality but as far as long range illumination I'd rather have the Luna any day over the Peq. The beam is much cleaner, it's lighter, smaller, beam is adjustable to a tighter and wider range and the best part is the manual gain. The Luna can be used at 10yrds for simple illumination or beyond 1000 for long range spotting/shooting. Yours may be stripped where the adjustment screws are, I have seen that happen before. I'm sure the great guys over at Luna would be glad to get you a replacement if that's the case.

The screws aren't stripped out but the factory ones require an Allen wrench to zero in the beam on your reticle. On mine when you adjust the beam narrower or wider it doesn't stay centered. I can actually apply pressure and move it. I just got some tiny thumbscrews with the same thread size so I can easily aim the beam.

Would you post a link to the Luna product that you're describing?- I am unfamiliar with it. Thanks in advance!
As to the Terrapin/Manfrotto/Leupold setup- I just alternate between the 2. It doesn't allow the two to be slaved, but it is fast to alternate between the 2 especially since the GR has no picatinny rail. I like my Hensoldt/APO setup but I don't always pack the Spotter 60 and the difference in eyepiece height between the 2 can be a bit of a PITA. Of course having them slaved is great I just wish the Hensoldt was oriented eyepiece up like the Leupold at times like this.

Have you ever compared the image of the PVS 30 to that of a monolock'd PVS 14 will illuminator? I've read about both set ups being useful out to 6/700 m, but curious if they really are comparable before I drop cash on one or the other.

with an illuminator a lot of night vision looks awesome including a 14 behind a day scope...that's where it ends though. a true well built clip on has no equal in front of a good day optic in low/no light conditions. maintaining comfortable cheek weld and fitment is another obvious benefit. robustness being a third...14 aren't really designed for recoil abuse like a true clip on.

that said, the ghetto 14 behind day scopes works and works well under illum but that's really where it stops.