• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: "Melonite barrel treatment" (DONE)!!!!

Turbo...

From what I've seen on the 2 rifles that I've had melonited, the before and after is night and day on copper fouling.. On my 308, I don't even think of cleaning it for close to 400rds, the jury is still out on my 7wsm..

In my opinion, if your going to melonite your 284, do it now!! Clean it real well and send it in..

Skyking,

Did you get your dies back yet?

Even though this isn't the same thread, did you ever post a video on the long range Elk hunt with your Dad?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That good to hear Steve123

I had some custom dies built for my 7saum. Well waited 4 months and when I got them they would not resize the brass. Well the guy used the chamber reamer to make the dies. So now I had to order new dies form Neil Jones. Have a 2 month wait with him. What a pain, and a joke. We did however get my brothers 243ai barrel back from MMI-Trutek. It turned out nice and is shooting good. Only have two rounds down it so far. Will keep you posted. </div></div>

Sorry about the late reply and sorry about the die maker screw up. What a hassle!

My rifle is shooting some great groups as of recent with 1100 through the barrel. Like when a barrel without Melonite gets seasoned in at 200 rounds. </div></div>

Alright well I just cleaned the melonited barrel on my 6x47L and measured the throat erosion at the approx 1350 round mark, .006-7 is what I was getting. The rifle is shooting better than it ever was. 3 shot groups checking dope but confirmed by a friend (SH member) who was with me. 1/8MOA at 100Y, 1/4MOA at 200Y and 1/3MOA at 300Y.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright well I just cleaned the melonited barrel on my 6x47L and measured the throat erosion at the approx 1350 round mark, .006-7 is what I was getting. The rifle is shooting better than it ever was. 3 shot groups checking dope but confirmed by a friend (SH member) who was with me. 1/8MOA at 100Y, 1/4MOA at 200Y and 1/3MOA at 300Y. </div></div>

I've had several 6mm barrels, without melonite coating, that lost 60-80fps after ~1000 rounds. Have you experienced any loss in velocity with the melonited barrels.

Sorry if this has been mentioned somewhere but does this treatment invalidate your warranty from barrel makers such as bartlein or krieger?

As far as I know, barrels don't really come with a warranty per se'.

However, the great barrel makers are standup folks. If the barrel won't shoot and there's no indication it's because of poor machinework/aftertreatments, they'll genermake it right.

If the melonite folks screw the pooch and warp the barrel though, I think the barrel maker is well within his right to tell you (or me, or whoever) to pound sand.

Make sense?

Right, thats what i figured. I guess you should have a pretty good idea after 40 rounds or so if the barrel is gonna shoot or not, so if it doesnt perform after the treatment you will know why. I wouldn't expect them to replace a barrel that doesnt shoot after melonite because they have no control over that process.

It sounds good but I am still concerned about messing up a build over it. I would like to see an actual test done, with two barrel of the same make firing the same ammo the same number of times. Is it the real deal, or is it hype? Some swear by cryo, some think it doesnt do a thing.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: distantfoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright well I just cleaned the melonited barrel on my 6x47L and measured the throat erosion at the approx 1350 round mark, .006-7 is what I was getting. The rifle is shooting better than it ever was. 3 shot groups checking dope but confirmed by a friend (SH member) who was with me. 1/8MOA at 100Y, 1/4MOA at 200Y and 1/3MOA at 300Y. </div></div>

I've had several 6mm barrels, without melonite coating, that lost 60-80fps after ~1000 rounds. Have you experienced any loss in velocity with the melonited barrels. </div></div>

I can't say positively on any loss of the velocity because when the barrel was new I was using a crappy chronograph that reminded me of my ex wife. Later on, 3-4 months ago, I started using a 35P. The velocity has been the consistent in that time frame. If there has been any loss it hasn't been enough for me to tell.

I will continue to follow this one closely as I've got a build finishing up that I'm thinking about meloniting, but just not sure yet.

-SBS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Melonite ISONITE (Salt Bath Nitriding) Is a heat treat process that changes the hardness of the steel....</div></div>

Being no metallurgist I wonder what this (or any) heat treatment does to cryo'd barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBrown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only reasons I can imagine for more velocity would be if the bore diameter was reduced, as was previously mentioned.</div></div>

more likely, not all the residue from the nitide has been cleaned from the BBL..

just a BIG reminder.... MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN OUT ALL OF THE NITRIDING FROM THE BARREL!!!!!!

i took a 260 bbl for a buddy, told him how to clean it and told him to fallow my instructions to a T...

he says he did... we go out and he is running the same load i use, he is blowing 50% of the primers...

i ask if he is sure he cleaned it good... he says yes....

i take it home and run a tight wet patch down it... real slow... i can feel the 1st 4" of the bbl by the chamber as rough...

so i re-scrub with a tight brush and use the JB bore compound untill i feel it smooth out...

take back to his house and he puts 20 shots threw it and all is fine, no psi signs....

but now he has to order a new ejector since it was so hot before it broke the ejector pin...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nukes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Being no metallurgist I wonder what this (or any) heat treatment does to cryo'd barrels.</div></div>

You have to cryo the barrel after the melonite is done. The salt heat will reverse the cryo. I had a barrel done with salt bath, then cryoed.

I spoke with Mark Gordon about his barrels yesterday. In response to my query about adding cryo to a melonite barrel, he said that because he uses cut rifling, the barrels are unstressed, hence have no need of the cryo unstressing.

Does one have to shoot 20~ rounds through a new barrel before treatment or can you just send a new one in?
whats the pro's and con's either way....
thx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnny-bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does one have to shoot 20~ rounds through a new barrel before treatment or can you just send a new one in?
whats the pro's and con's either way....
thx </div></div>

The benefits are that you get an idea of the barrel's accuracy before treatment as a reference (or if it is worth the added expense) and to smooth out any minor imperfections before treatment. If you don't shoot it first it will take much longer (since the barrel won't break in as quickly) to smooth out these imperfections.

If you do have the barrel treated, do NOT forget to clean the ever lovin' snot out of it! Several patches/scrub sessions with JB's bore paste have been needed with the 5 barrels I have had done. Of course there were brush strokes, solvent laden and clean patches in between to check progress. I'd suggest at least two more scrub sessions MORE than you think it is needed.

I neglected to do this thinking they were totally clean and many rounds were fired. I thought the residue was hard to remove when it was fresh from treatment.......that "fresh" residue doesn't hold a candle to the residue after firing!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 244</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The benefits are that you get an idea of the barrel's accuracy before treatment as a reference (or if it is worth the added expense) and to smooth out any minor imperfections before treatment.</div></div>

Thanks for the reply, I see what you mean by essentially rubbing out the minor imperfections in the bore.
Has many people got inaccurate barrels? I have never really done any "precision" shooting and this is my first one I'm attempting to build.
I have a few other rifles that have shot nothing but perfect, those were/are my hunting rifles though and always will be just that.

has anyone who have melonited a barrel thought of also getting it cryo treated also? I would like to see the help both might do for a barrel

Before I send my barrel in for this treatment I have been trying to break it in. I spoke to a fella at the R+T customs (Rodney?) and he said not to put more that 20 rounds down it before sending it in. I started of by first cleaning the bore, shooting 10 rounds straight then cleaning really well getting all the copper fouling out. ( I was able to do so with just Hoppes 9) Now I have shot 7 more rounds, with each of those 7 shots I have cleaned it complete with brass brush, patches and hoppes till no more bluegreen (I know brass has copper). I still can see a copper fouling at the end of the barrel, this is a total of 17 rounds I have fired and now approaching the 20 round mark.
Will it be ok to just clean it well and send like this even though it still fouls bad towards the crown? is there something else I should do? JB's bore past and Kroil.....?
I have already bugged 244 with Q's and he has been a wealth of knowledge and much appreciated for his help but I just dont wanna keep bothering him.
hope someone else can lend me some more info
Thanks

Try Wipe Out foaming bore cleaner and some Accelerator: HERE

You do not have to scrub the bore and reduce the risk of damage you can do by improper or accidents while using a rod. I've spoken with the owner of Wipe Out/Patch Out after using the products. I prefer Wipe Out, although Patch Out is more economical. Accelerator is good for both. Use a patch or two soaked in Accelerator to push out the big hunks and then apply Wipe Out and let it sit for 30 minutes up to 12 hours or so. Push out the goo with a tight patch (you can put more Accelerator on if you wish). If color on patch, redo treatment for 30 min and try again. If color on patch, let sit longer. Unless <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">very heavily</span></span> fouled, three full length treatments should do the trick, ie the first time using the product after spotty prior cleanings. Most routine cleanings take only one treatment unless the bore is excessively rough.

With Patch out, start with Accelerator patches, the use a nylon brush with Accelerator and Patch Out (in a 1 part Accelerator to 2 parts Patch Out ratio) and give a couple passes. A lather should develop. Then use the method described above; the same as Wipe Out.

There are many other good cleaning products too. I just happen to like this method.

Just make sure the barrel is ABSOLUTELY CLEAN before you send it in!